Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
[Poll]

Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype?

One of the most beautiful and talented actresses of her generation
  15% (16)
She's certainly got acting talent but her rake thin looks aren't sexy
  6% (7)
She's gorgeous but she's got where she is on looks not talent
  12% (13)
All she does is pout and talk with an underbite, she has no appeal
  32% (34)
There's better actresses and more beautiful women but she's not bad
  32% (34)

Total Votes : 104

(last vote on : 6/2/2014 7:52:01 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 2:20:16 PM   
monkeyfish

After my earlier Scarlett Johansson thread (http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1327802), I'd like to ask the same question about Keira Knightley. Like Johansson, Knightley is constantly appearing on the covers of magazines and having newspaper features devoted to her, usually scoring a very high position on sexiest star lists. She is also an actress of growing success and star power with the blockbuster Pirates trilogy under her belt and numerous awards and acclaim for films like Pride and Prejudice and Atonement. This year sees her give generally praised performances in the somewhat unexceptional Edge of Love and The Duchess. However, probably few actresses suffer as much abuse from film fans as Knightley does, some people seem to genuinely loathe her, with numerous comments consistently made on her supposedly skinny, pouty looks and wooden acting style. So, what do people think? Does she deserve the hype? Does she deserve the hatred?

From my point of view, I think she is really clasically beautiful. I don't normally find women that skinny sexy but she manages to pull it off. I also think she is a pretty good actress (but then I am an unapologetic Pirates fan, yes even the sequels). Of course she's been crap in some stuff (Domino) but then who hasn't. Her performance in Pride and Prejudice, full of spark and spirit was really great and she's followed it up with decent stuff in Atonement and The Edge of Love. So, yeah, I'm a fan.

What became of the Empire Script Challenge?

Bring it back, I say!
Post #: 1
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 2:30:05 PM   
darth silas

I think shes crap to be honest.Nice looking face but her body is horribly skinny.Havnt been impressed by her acting much either.

She also comes across as very self absorbed in interviews,almost like she feels ungrateful for her fame and wealth.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 2
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 2:56:12 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I thought she was a bit of a plank until I saw Atonement and felt she gave a quality, believable performance. I think she's pretty good but she'd have to down a few Big Macs and size up before she had a chance with me

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 3
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 3:11:51 PM   
jackassfan

Keira Knightley is a  terrible actress and she irritates the hell out me with her constant pouting in every film

Also i really done get what all the fuss is with her looks, in my opinion i think she is very average looking

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 4
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 3:47:18 PM   
CORLEONE

She is gorgeous but still not convinced of her acting ability - not seen Atonement or The Duchess yet though.

By the way, look at the difference in the pictures you've posted! 1st one, stunning, 2nd one, fuckugly!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to jackassfan)
Post #: 5
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 4:13:54 PM   
carmencat6

In her interview with the guardian the interviewer read out a passage from an article, which basically said there are few things women will unite over and thats the hatred of Keira, and I'm ashamed I used to be one of those. Okay maybe not hate but I wasn't fan, but I will admit that it's mainly over the fact she's naturally thin and beautiful. After seeing Atonement and P&P, I believe that she's definitely talented but its just taken a while for her to get there, which is to be expected of any actor. Most actors go through training and she hasn't, so of course she's gonna make mistakes. Plus I don't think she's too skinny, she looks healthy and has good legs.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 6
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 5:04:19 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

By the way, look at the difference in the pictures you've posted! 1st one, stunning, 2nd one, fuckugly!

That second pic makes her look like a drag queen/ zombie

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 7
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 7:20:05 PM   
Rgirvan44

I think she has a natural screen presence. In all the interviews I have seen with her she comes accross quite well - I'm sure the papers like making it out that she is stuck up. Its not hard to understand that the media can get a bit much if you have lived with it for half your life.

What I cannot fathom is the bile some people (no one here I should add) have for her. Has she really offended people? I never bought the pouting thing.

I can see her having a long and sucessful career - she kinda reminds me a little of Julie Christe in the 70s. I fully execpt her to take interesting projects as the years go on.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 8
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 7:31:15 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I must admit I've never been the biggest fan of her acting. She's gorgeous if too skinny, but I thought she was very overrated in Atonement. But I saw The Duchess yesterday and it was her best performance I've seen, she did so well in the role and I really liked her. I hope to see more good performances like that in the future.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 9
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 7:33:20 PM   
Tech_Noir

Her best performance was in The Phantom Menace.

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 10
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 7:44:38 PM   
Rhubarb

She neither overwhelms or offends me.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 11
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 7:49:20 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: monkeyfish

I want to be that strawberry.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 12
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 8:47:52 PM   
carmencat6

You should put up some recent photos, she's gone back to a brunette and looks gorgeous. Or maybe I'll do it. Mwhahahah!

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 13
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 9:00:02 PM   
carmencat6

[imagehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/graphics/2007/09/02/st_keiraknightley.jpg ][/image]

(in reply to carmencat6)
Post #: 14
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 10/9/2008 11:21:33 PM   
monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I can see her having a long and sucessful career - she kinda reminds me a little of Julie Christe in the 70s. I fully execpt her to take interesting projects as the years go on.

She's certainly not averse to a bit of a young Julie Christie look, so maybe that is a model she is working to.

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 11/9/2008 12:02:30 AM   
bobbydee

she's hot, but she could act her way out of a cardboard box. she really just is one of the worst actors ever, and i really can't get past that

Last five films watched:
Psycho 5/5
The Beach 3/5
Cleo from 5 to 7 5/5
The Boat That Rocked 3/5
The Manchurian Candidate 5/5

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 16
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 11/9/2008 1:43:44 PM   
CORLEONE

A pic for the fantasist!

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to bobbydee)
Post #: 17
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 11/9/2008 2:16:38 PM   
benny the jet

quote:

A pic for the fantasist!

I can't believe they photoshopped me out of this pic

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 18
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 11/9/2008 7:42:24 PM   
Harry Lime

I ignored the looks beautiful bit (as if it matters) and went for there are better but she is not bad option.

There have been films where I've wanted to cry at how bad she is (Love, Actually, Dead Man's Chest and the dreadful, dreadful Domino spring painfully to mind) but I don't think she's as bad as the "Ikea Knightley" bandwagon jumpers make out. She was perfectly fine in Bend It Like Beckham, handled both her dramatic and comic moments well in the original Pirates Of The Caribbean movie (not so well in the sequals) and exceeded all my expectations as Elizabeth Bennett in Joe Wright's Pride And Prejudice... Her best performance to date. Atonement was a welcome hark back to the glory days of Merchant-Ivory dominated British cinema and she did a commendably stand-up job in perhaps the least interesting role.

I need to see the Edge Of Love and The Duchess (despite all the ghastly Princess Diana comparrisons in the trailers) but, on what I've seen, I'm certainly not in the hate camp.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 19
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 12/9/2008 1:13:37 PM   
monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

That second pic makes her look like a drag queen/ zombie

Well, we've had Zombie Strippers, why not Keira Knightley in Night of the Crossdressing Dead! The dead have risen from the grave with a lust for brains (and showtunes).

Oh well, maybe it's just me that finds her attractive in that picture.

Bring it back, I say!

Post #: 20
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 12/9/2008 1:30:11 PM   
monkeyfish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

I ignored the looks beautiful bit (as if it matters) and went for there are better but she is not bad option.

Actually, I think the beauty bit does matter (obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have put it in there) in relation to a discussion on the hype surrounding Knightley and whether she deserves it. Both the people who build her up and the people who hate her spend as much time discussing her looks as her acting talent and much more passionate and venomous discussions these can be. Therefore, I feel it is entirely relevant to discussing her star status to allow people to vent their lust/loathing on this count as well as her acting.
Furthermore, I can't help but feel peoples' opinions on her looks and acting are inextricably linked. People who deride her acting talents are usually the kind that first talk angrily about how overrated her looks are, they tend to say she is ugly and thin, oh and she can't act either, perhaps a case of their prejudice about their looks meaning they can't bear to watch her act. Meanwhile, on the other side, and I am willing to consider myself among these people, those who consider her to be particularly attractive are more liable, as a result, to wind up thinking higher of her in general. I must admit to not being entirely convinced that my own high regard for some of her acting performances is an entirely objective opinion.
Finally, I would argue that it is true for all actors that their looks somewhat define the way that they act anyway, so to completely dismiss any discussion of an actor's appearance in terms of a discussion of their performance is to not fully grasp the performance. Knightley's traditional beauty, her elegant, rather mannered but somewhat brittle poise, lends itself perfectly to the kind of characters she plays in Atonement etc. but not to a physically tough girl like Domino.
I take this as a justification for further pictures...

Bring it back, I say!

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 21
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 15/9/2008 2:40:25 PM   
RedCandle

my god, her chin is so big the only role she should play is quagmire form family guy. and i doubt her acting tallent could strech to saying giggity twice in quick succession.

Can you make me a birdhouse or something?

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 22
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 26/9/2008 12:32:13 PM   
KUBRICKIANCAMEROID

Great model, terrible actress.

(in reply to RedCandle)
Post #: 23
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 3/10/2008 11:53:49 PM   
siegfried

I've certainly never seen her as a great beauty, but she was very appealing in Bend It Like Beckham, the first film I saw her in, and has gone on to turning in some very creditable performances in a variety of films.
I particularly liked her Elizabeth Bennett in Pride And Prejudice, and even though I'm not a fan of Atonement - I found it to be rather cold and uninvolving - her performance and that of James McAvoy came close to saving it.
I'm looking forward to seeing The Edge Of Love and The Duchess, both of which open here in NZ within the next couple of weeks.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to KUBRICKIANCAMEROID)
Post #: 24
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 25/11/2008 4:59:14 AM   
kick ass koala

Too skinny, and her voice is annoying ...

There are about 100 actors just like her, and i cringed watching her try to be tough in Domino

Smite Me, O Mighty Smiter ....

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 25
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 3/12/2008 3:12:54 PM   
babyloutattoo

i think if she put on some weight and stopped pouting she'd be beautiful.
as for her acting, its hard to judge, when i saw her in pirates of the caribbean her voice irritated me so much it just made me dislike her.
so ive never seen any of her other films so i cant really judge.

(in reply to kick ass koala)
Post #: 26
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 4/12/2008 6:55:34 PM   
Mason Verger

Yes, if the concentration camp look is your thing.

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to monkeyfish)
Post #: 27
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 5/12/2008 2:13:17 AM   
xmagic_dustx

HELL NO.

Keira Knightley is a terrible "actress". She's so bloody overrated.

Also, there's no way that she doesn't have some sort of eating disorder, no matter what she says. She's too skinny.

I wonder if Coco would be happy that Knightley is the face of one of her Chanel fragrances? I'm not so sure!

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 28
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 9/1/2009 5:03:18 PM   
coin2000

I liked her in The Jacket, thought she was horrible in the Pirates trilogy; actually, I try to avoid her work and have been pretty successful.

- Build a bridge out of her.

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 29
RE: Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? - 11/1/2009 8:46:20 PM   
Incanus

There are better but she's not too bad. Her looks opened doors, which is to be expected.

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

(in reply to coin2000)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs >> Keira Knightley - Does she deserve the hype? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI