The Guardian

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Guardian Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Guardian - 6/9/2008 1:25:41 PM   
Timon

I love Kevin Costner and I'll try and see every film of his that comes out, that's why I went to see The Guardian and despite it having Mr Demi Moore in, I really enjoyed it.

If you don't guess what the outcome of this film will be after the first 10mins...then shame on you. Shame!

It doesn't have an original bone in its body. It's Top Gun on the high seas, it's An Officer And A Gentlemen in Life Jackets, it's Backdraft on Boats, it's everyother mentor/rookie film you've ever seen but it's still not half bad.

I may burn in Hell for all of eternity for saying this but even Ashton Kutcher was watchable. I was quite suprised by him actually. He semi convincingly emoted. Several times. In fact he was fairly watchable and the scenes with him and Costner even showed chemistry. I still can't believe it.

Of course it hits all the cliches in the book - 1) Veteran with a tragedy in his past has to teach a bunch of newbies and forgive himself in the progress. 2) Newbie falls in love and gets taught some valuable life lesson. 3) Veteran scarifices himself to pass the baton...but it's still good entertainment. Not a bad couple of hours spent and as a recruitment video for the US Coast Guard it does the job. You even get a Bryan Adams ballard to drum in the message of their bravery over the end credits if somehow that went over your head. After all, they go out when no else does! When God reaches down and tears up houses.......

Hoo Rah!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: The Guardian - 6/9/2008 1:32:21 PM   
Harry Exton

A dreadful film from start to finish but I also have a soft spot for it. It's a perfect film to watch when I get back from the pub and need something entertaining and undemanding.

30 seconds in to your future......

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: The Guardian - 6/9/2008 9:11:45 PM   
Deviation

I will never watch a film with Asthon Kutcher again.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Harry Exton)
Post #: 3
RE: The Guardian - 7/9/2008 8:22:39 AM   
matty_b

I enjoyed this a lot, despite the fact that a) it doesn't have a single original bone in its body; b) it has Ashton Kutcher in a serious role; and c) the awful quasi-mystical ending.

I think it's sincerity won me over. It doesn't try to pretend to be smarter or more original than it is, and it has some wonderfully thrilling moments in it. Plus, Costner is one of my favourites.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4
RE: The Guardian - 7/9/2008 9:21:45 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nice to see some appreciation for this. Saw it last year and found it very likeable indeed.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5
RE: The Guardian - 8/9/2008 9:25:17 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I enjoyed The Guardian as well. At first I thought it was another Nicholas Sparks novel, but I was happily surprised. Tad predictable, though it has its very amusing moments.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 6
RE: The Guardian - 8/9/2008 7:14:02 PM   
dj vivace

Its a perfect, switch off your brain film. Totally enjoyable, and as ever, Kevin Costner plays the role so well, you really believe that he knows everything there is to know about rescues  Great fun

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 7
RE: The Guardian - 20/2/2009 11:46:35 AM   
Timon

1.95 second hand on Amazon Marketplace!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 8
RE: The Guardian - 20/2/2009 12:56:14 PM   
DazDaMan

My housemate has this.  Might need to borrow it and get back to you....

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: The Guardian - 8/6/2011 6:39:50 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I knew Timon would've started this thread! I dont know how, i just thought The Guardian would be right up his street. Just watching this on Blu Ray now. It's awesome, Costner is very stoic and the fx are amazing!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 10
RE: The Guardian - 9/6/2011 12:13:54 PM   
NCC1701A

Its a good watch Andrew Davis 2nd best film after The Fugitive.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 11
RE: The Guardian - 14/9/2011 4:57:42 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I knew Timon would've started this thread! I dont know how, i just thought The Guardian would be right up his street. Just watching this on Blu Ray now. It's awesome, Costner is very stoic and the fx are amazing!

I honestly don't know what do make of that:

Is that because of the Costner factor? The fact no-one else saw it?

Post #: 12
RE: The Guardian - 16/9/2011 12:45:29 PM   
UTB

I think Costner is very underrated (see Mr Brooks for a stonking, underrated performance from him). The Guardian was ok, a lot better than expected. The Ashton factor is quite offputting. 

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: The Guardian - 16/9/2011 12:49:52 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I think Costner is very underrated (see Mr Brooks for a stonking, underrated performance from him). The Guardian was ok, a lot better than expected. The Ashton factor is quite offputting. 

Man, I love that movie. The chemistry between Costner and Hurt is spine-tinglingly good. Is there a thread on that?

Anyway, back on topic. I think it's more the subject of The Guardian that makes it less mainstream, more than teen-dream Kutcher's appearance being a tad offputting.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 14
RE: The Guardian - 16/9/2011 12:57:36 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Man, I love that movie. The chemistry between Costner and Hurt is spine-tinglingly good. Is there a thread on that?

Not yet

I totally agree about Hurt too, fantastic performance, they really compliment each other.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 15
RE: The Guardian - 16/9/2011 7:07:07 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I honestly don't know what do make of that:

Is that because of the Costner factor? The fact no-one else saw it?

The Costner factor and also that you do tend to stick up for a lot of really underrated, fun popcorn movies!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: The Guardian - 24/10/2012 3:29:36 PM   
Timon

Yes, yes I do. Plus I rewatched it the other day and realised it has Charlie from the West Wing in it. And Band of Brother's Neal McDonough.

Post #: 17
RE: The Guardian - 1/11/2012 11:24:49 AM   
JaceyCarter

Yes you are right, I am also biggest fan of Kevin Costner. The Guardian is one of my favorite movie with lots of action and thriller effects. Kevin Costner's Field of Dreams 2: Lockout a short movie also amazing to watch. And now i am eagerly waiting for its next movie McFarland, that is going to be release in 2013.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> The Guardian Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI