Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Worthwhile set-up for HP7 Part 1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Worthwhile set-up for HP7 Part 1 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Worthwhile set-up for HP7 Part 1 - 12/10/2009 1:05:57 AM   
bozo

What a horrible, horrible adaptation. I'm usually not against adding stuff that isn't in the original source novel, but only when it's done by people who understand, appreciate and enjoy reading that source novel. Not by unimaginative hacks with only their paychecks in mind. The direction was pedestrian to the extereme, once again Yates manages to disintegrate the great atmosphere of the books and to turn a rich, complex novel into a flashy yet soulless advertisement. He didn't hit a single right note in the entire length of the film. The wasn't a scene which felt right, in place, with the right tone, done professionally. The script was awful, simply awful. And there wasn't a single moment where my heart jumped or my pulse quickened.
All in all an extremely listless and soulless affair, devoid of atmosphere and depth.
An adaptation of a summary of a novel. Created by people who obviously don't give a damn.  

(in reply to CIRVIRUS64)
Post #: 181
RE: Worthwhile set-up for HP7 Part 1 - 12/10/2009 1:57:42 AM   
hiptobesquare_x

I'm a Potter book geek but I still like the films regardless of how much of the source material they hack to pieces, they're just enjoyable films. I think this one was definitely one of the strongest. Ok, you can criticise the acting (Emma Watson's eyebrows shooting up and down her forehead like two little horny caterpillars is a big annoyance of mine) but the adult cast always make up for it. Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange is fukcing brilliant, I don't care how the book ends she should have a spin off where she just walks around cackling and killing people. Good stuff. Alan Rickman was great as ever, but I think more could have been made of the Half-Blood Prince revelation bit, and I agree that Felton stepped up as Malfoy (but did wonder why he looked as though he'd aged 40 years since the last film, and that's nothing to do with his character's dilemma).

And, as for Bill and Fleur, Lupin and Tonks? They'll probably just replace them, they set the scene for it by establishing them as a couple in this film. So I guess it may be a Lupin and Tonks wedding, they can't suddenly introduce Bill or Charlie for that matter 6 films in. And apparently part of the reason they are splitting the film is die to the fact they've missed out Dobby for so long. I saw and interview and I think it may have been Radcliffe that said they needed to re-establish character relations, otherwise Dobby's big scene so to speak (book fans will get the reference) wouldn't really mean anything.

"I hate coconut. Not the flavour, but the consistency."

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 182
RE: Worthwhile set-up for HP7 Part 1 - 12/10/2009 12:47:26 PM   
jobloffski

Note the criticisms some make, but:

1) thought there was some amazing visual storytelling in this film, with shots continuing after the cute bits to create a sense of in the periphery of the still nice n cutey stuff, something is afoot. It's a film not a book and plays to the strengths of film.

2) The most important thing for this film to get across (maybe not so definitively to those who haven't read the books) was that the kids are safe from the worst of what is going on because while a certain person remains at Hogwarts nothing can touch them there (shit goes down when he's on a 'mission' away from the school and more shit will now, after he is permanently removed from the scene.

More than a 'placeholder film' it allows the producers to do a 'nice' Potter film and save the shit hitting the fan for the last two parter, including avoiding showing a battle at the school in order to avoid diluting the impact of the second, bigger one.

3) Much had to be excised from the film due to the story strands excised from previous films. totally inevitable.

4) Even in the book the revelation of the identity of the half blood prince doesn't have it's full impact until the character's arc is finally completed. And then his role over all the books is probably the most emotional, which wont be the case in the films because the focus has to stay on the main character,

5) THe producers can't win. Either they're accused of being to tied to the books and neutering the forward momentum a movie needs or they're accused of neutering the story by leaving too much out.

6) Of course there is something slightly dissatisfying about the adaptation of the fifth book in a six book series. So being overly critical of HBP for not having a real knockout blow it to ignore the fact that the ending is where things pay off and to expect too much from a film that still has to work for people who don't want to read the books as well as for people who have. In broad terms, criticising film five for not feeling conclusive enough is EXACTLY the same as complaining that minutes 80-100 of a two hour film don't feel conclusive enough. It's one story, and where HBP has its strength is in how it DIFFERS from the earlier films and it should, strictly speaking be dramatic enough to note the silliness of the early days has been replaced by such things a Malfoy stamping on Potter's face and breaking his nose.

Such a film is not meant to exist in a vaccum as a standalone piece, but between the innocence of the past and the darkness to come. And that is exactly the film WB have made this time out, it seems to me..

(in reply to hiptobesquare_x)
Post #: 183
RE: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood-Prince - 12/10/2009 1:59:48 PM   
princessa

Before i start of proper i just wanted to say that i have never read the books and this is the first Potter movie i have seen.

I thought the film was ok but i could have done with less of the teen romance stuff.  I much preferred the darker elements and i felt the film makers should have emphasised this rather than pay so much attention to the romance stuff.  I enjoyed Tom Felton as Malfroy and really enjoyed his fight with Harry.  I also enjoyed Alan Rickman's acting.  Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood is brilliant; i am now officially in love with her character and i hope she is given much more screen time in the next two films.

Agree with the posters who've said that this movie is a set up for the final parts; because in many ways it felt like the filmakers were holding back. 

However the few action sequences were good and i really enjoyed the deatheaters? attack at the beginning.

I will definitely be renting some of the other films to compare.

< Message edited by princessa -- 12/10/2009 2:03:21 PM >

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 184
RE: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood-Prince - 16/10/2009 11:15:26 PM   
bozo

I think the main thing wrong with Harry Potter 6 for people who have read the book is that time and again you're expecting to see scenes from the book carrying enormous emotional weight and filled to the brim with dark significance and what you inevitably get is flat, bland nothing. Prime example - the ending. It's like expecting a kiss from a hottie and getting a lick from a dog.  

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 185
RE: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood-Prince - 18/10/2009 5:03:58 PM   
jobloffski

Therein lies the problem. Knowing its coming means the film would have to match exactly how a reader envisaged it and also achieve the impossible task of being a shock all over again. The film did well, I thought, and imagine anyone who likes the films and hasn't read the books would have been focusing on Harry's reaction which I thought Radcliffe did well at portraying.

There was so much build up that could never have fitted into the film, as well as more time spent on the general reaction to the event.

And naturally, the ending had to leave a little way down into the darkness for the tone to go for the opening of the next film.

Only the fourth film can claim to have totally successfully managed the switch in tone at the ending, and from then on there has been the problem of having Harry react differently to another death at the end to avoid repetition. The silent screaming at the end of film five was very weak at a fist viewing, but gained from future viewings. Maybe the same will be true for people thus far disappointed with the ending of HP6

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 186
RE: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood-Prince - 18/10/2009 5:38:38 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Therein lies the problem. Knowing its coming means the film would have to match exactly how a reader envisaged it and also achieve the impossible task of being a shock all over again. The film did well, I thought, and imagine anyone who likes the films and hasn't read the books would have been focusing on Harry's reaction which I thought Radcliffe did well at portraying.

Not at all. I don't expect the film to be exactly like what was in my mind while I was reading the book. That would be impossible, wouldn't it? I just expect the film to be true to the spirit of the book and the intent of its author. You know, like Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire. That's not impossible since it has been done already.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 187
RE: Worthwhile set-up for HP7 Part 1 - 19/10/2009 1:09:04 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

What a horrible, horrible adaptation. I'm usually not against adding stuff that isn't in the original source novel, but only when it's done by people who understand, appreciate and enjoy reading that source novel. Not by†unimaginative hacks with only their paychecks in mind. The direction was pedestrian to the extereme, once again Yates manages to disintegrate the great atmosphere of the books and to turn a rich, complex novel into a flashy yet soulless advertisement. He didn't hit a single right note in the entire length of the film. The wasn't a scene which felt right, in place, with the right tone, done professionally. The script was awful, simply awful. And there wasn't a single moment where my heart jumped or my pulse quickened.
All in all an extremely listless and†soulless affair, devoid of atmosphere and depth.
An adaptation of a summary of a novel. Created by people who obviously don't give a damn.††

Hey Bozo, sorry for my rushed post suggesting you wanted exactly what you wanted was in your mind when you read the book to be on the screen. However have just read your opinion of the film, and it seems you completely hated HBP and Yates' previous effort.Obviously, from my comments I credit HBP with being a far better film than you did, and repeat my admiration for the style of the direction, which I consider to be more 'grown up' than the previous films just as each book was more 'grown up' than its predecessors.

However, wont attempt the impossible and try to change your opinion, I hope you will be more gently disposed towards the film for any future viewing now you've seen what Yates has done with (or i guess, from your POV, to) the source material.

I don't believe it was created by people who don't give a damn, more by people who had the difficult task, from the off, of making a film that would necessarily have to jettison almost the entire book due to its length, and in the process lose many people's favourite bits in order to be coherent. And personally, I think the style, of doing a scene with the main kids, then continuing the shot to show Malfoy in 'up to something' mode or some other little detail was a very economical way of doing it.

I think, in the fullness of time, saving the real plunge into the darkness for the last two parter will turn out to be a wise move, providing the characters with a less traumatic set of circumstances before their world basically goes to hell and some of them die, and then, watching the 'nice' part 6 will be a better viewing experience because the darkness to come (at least the cinematic version of it) will cast its shadow backwards over the film, if that makes sense. In a similar way to how I used to find the first two films almost unbearably twee, until athe ending of film four made me able to think 'poor sod, you don't know what's coming' when giving them another go.

Anyway. blah blah blah, etc.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 188
RE: Worthwhile set-up for HP7 Part 1 - 19/10/2009 7:10:58 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

What a horrible, horrible adaptation. I'm usually not against adding stuff that isn't in the original source novel, but only when it's done by people who understand, appreciate and enjoy reading that source novel. Not by unimaginative hacks with only their paychecks in mind. The direction was pedestrian to the extereme, once again Yates manages to disintegrate the great atmosphere of the books and to turn a rich, complex novel into a flashy yet soulless advertisement. He didn't hit a single right note in the entire length of the film. The wasn't a scene which felt right, in place, with the right tone, done professionally. The script was awful, simply awful. And there wasn't a single moment where my heart jumped or my pulse quickened.
All in all an extremely listless and soulless affair, devoid of atmosphere and depth.
An adaptation of a summary of a novel. Created by people who obviously don't give a damn.  

Hey Bozo, sorry for my rushed post suggesting you wanted exactly what you wanted was in your mind when you read the book to be on the screen. However have just read your opinion of the film, and it seems you completely hated HBP and Yates' previous effort.Obviously, from my comments I credit HBP with being a far better film than you did, and repeat my admiration for the style of the direction, which I consider to be more 'grown up' than the previous films just as each book was more 'grown up' than its predecessors.

However, wont attempt the impossible and try to change your opinion, I hope you will be more gently disposed towards the film for any future viewing now you've seen what Yates has done with (or i guess, from your POV, to) the source material.

I don't believe it was created by people who don't give a damn, more by people who had the difficult task, from the off, of making a film that would necessarily have to jettison almost the entire book due to its length, and in the process lose many people's favourite bits in order to be coherent. And personally, I think the style, of doing a scene with the main kids, then continuing the shot to show Malfoy in 'up to something' mode or some other little detail was a very economical way of doing it.

I think, in the fullness of time, saving the real plunge into the darkness for the last two parter will turn out to be a wise move, providing the characters with a less traumatic set of circumstances before their world basically goes to hell and some of them die, and then, watching the 'nice' part 6 will be a better viewing experience because the darkness to come (at least the cinematic version of it) will cast its shadow backwards over the film, if that makes sense. In a similar way to how I used to find the first two films almost unbearably twee, until athe ending of film four made me able to think 'poor sod, you don't know what's coming' when giving them another go.

Anyway. blah blah blah, etc.

You're right. I didn't like Order of Phoenix and I don't like Half-Blood Prince. I hope that repeat viewings of the latter will improve on the overall experience, although that almost certainly didn't happen with the former.
I honestly think Yates is just a hired hand who cares more about plot and gloss than about depth and atmosphere. I'm sorry, it just shines through in the way he often cheapens and flattens great moments from the books (and I'm not talking about omissions). Pheonix and Prince are the two films out of the six so far in which the magic feels fake and the drama artificial. Yates' films are simply devoid of atmosphere - I think that says it all. Whereas in Goblet and especially in Prisoner you enter this strange and magical world, successfully transfered from the page to the screen, Phoenix and Prince feel like a quick canter through the plots of the respective novels.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 189
RE: Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince - 4/11/2009 7:45:57 PM   
robwillphill

I didnt read the Potter books and im not a massive fan. However i went to see this with my nephew (of the same age) who has read the whole collection and has an interest in these films. After viewing 'The Half-Blood Prince' we both walked out rather dissapointed. The warm, humourous part of the film was for me a welcome part to the series and provided a nostalgic feeling of the first two films (my personal favourites). However, when the mood suddenly turns to a darker part of the film everything feels odd and out-of-place. My nephew thought that the humour was over-used and embarassing. So overall review?...

5/10

http://youtube.com/audience

Check out my latest films:
- http://youtu.be/Z2zrRi06Rb0
- http://dai.ly/fSojJ3

---------------------------------------------------

Stewie: We're playing house
Lois: But that boy's tied up
Stewie: It's Roman Polanski's house

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 190
- 25/11/2009 9:11:04 AM   
ivanahump

i was disappointed, the best book of the series and they cut EVERYTHING PLOT SIGNIFICANT, instead it heaped on teen romance which im sure was in no way an answer to recruit people from Twilight. There wasnt any emotion when Dumbledore died and still they dont give an actor of Alan Rickman's calibre enough dialogue
It wasnt bad i just thought this would be better than order of the phoenix which was much much better than the book
Still the 7th one's im sure will be the one that people will remember so i wont cry over spilt milk

Post #: 191
A good balance of humor,romance and action. - 15/1/2010 8:37:13 PM   
hpmoviefan777

I am a HUGE harry potter fan,so i had of course i red the book before i saw the movie.it was totally different from order of the phoenix, it had a more easy going feel,but at the same there where many points where the seriousness of the film came out.This is not(none of the harry potter movies are)the kind of movie that a person who knows nothing about harry potter can go and see and expect to totally understand.if you follow the the books and movies this really shows how much all the younger actors and actresses have matured.if you have red the half blood prince book you will know what I'm talking about,my only complaint was the scene where narcissa and bellatrix go and visit snape.(the chapter is called spinners end)i feel that it was way toooo short it just barely got the point across and that's pretty much all it did ,i enjoyed the very short scene that i got but i was left wanting soooo much more.I felt everything else was pretty spot on from the book.the special effects and music scores where wonderful.
plus if you get the 2 disc DVD you get a trailer from harry potter and the deathly hallows.

Post #: 192
Harry potter is dead to me now ! - 14/3/2010 11:46:25 AM   
spartan24

Hated it this one. They should get peter jackson to direct the last one !

Post #: 193
Wonderful Balance of Comedy and Darkness! - 4/4/2010 4:52:49 PM   
FilmGirl27

First off- if you love the book, you probably won't enjoy it as much as everyone else. People are WAY too hard on this film. You need to look at the Harry Potter film franchise as a different universe to the books, not a straightforward adaption, because they aren't, simple as.

Half Blood Prince is an interesting blend of light-hearted humor and the dark, inevitable prospect of war with Voldy and co.
The actors are at their best (applauds Jim Broadbent and Tom Felton). Dan Radcliffe and Rupert Grint do wonders with their characters and it's just a joy to watch. Emma Watson plays Hermione more naturally than before.

Sadly the Half Blood Prince mystery is squashed almost out of the picture in favor of character development, so part of the movies big plot twist is a little underwhelming, but that's really the only gripe.

Half Blood Prince is a great movie, and it's completely worth watching.

Post #: 194
Harry Potter and the half Blood Prince - 19/4/2010 8:18:52 PM   
LastSamurai

Ive not read the books but have slowly and surely gotten into the harry potter films over the years. This by far is my favorite. Darker than previous films but also funnier. It strikes a good balance with the Dark and light parts. I agree with a point made in one of the previous reviews in that i think you need to take the Films as a separate entity to the books. Fanboys will disagree i'm sure but i wouldn't of changed the LOTR films after reading the book afterwards (my fave films and book of all time btw) . The Potter films are great and im sure the books are also, but just because they differ doesn't make one better than the other. Id probably have given it a 4/5 but to counter all the over negative reviews i gave it 5. Great film overall for all ages.

Post #: 195
Half Blood Prince is awesome! - 21/4/2010 1:09:56 AM   
DrachirFilm

You don't know what a Horcrux is exactly? Did you take a toilet break during that scene? They told you what it was plain and simple and gave you two examples at the same time.
I'm a big Potter fan and read all the books, whilst none of the films have as much magic and colourful charm as the first film, HBP is an absolute joy to watch as it capitalises on all the characters and uses them to great effect. I found myself wishing this film would never end. There are mistakes of course; more of the memory sequences were needed to show what Voldemort chooses to make his Horcruxes into; and an attack on the Burrow was just stupid and pointless.

Post #: 196
What Has Happened To Harry Potter? - 23/5/2010 9:51:34 AM   
joanna likes films

I've read all the books and have seen the movies up until this one. Looking forward to see how they will adapt the sixth novel, I was really disappointed throughout. Instead of the magic and the pure charm with the preious films, Half Blood Prince is way too dark to properly see what's going on and is more intrested on who's getting with whom instead what's really happening. Even the shocking outcome of a character was emotionless. The adults were badly pushed aside, only saying a few lines and then disappeared. I do hope that the seventh and final film will be a little better because I seriously didn't like this one at all.

Post #: 197
What Has Happened To Harry Potter? - 23/5/2010 9:51:37 AM   
joanna likes films

I've read all the books and have seen the movies up until this one. Looking forward to see how they will adapt the sixth novel, I was really disappointed throughout. Instead of the magic and the pure charm with the preious films, Half Blood Prince is way too dark to properly see what's going on and is more intrested on who's getting with whom instead what's really happening. Even the shocking outcome of a character was emotionless. The adults were badly pushed aside, only saying a few lines and then disappeared. I do hope that the seventh and final film will be a little better because I seriously didn't like this one at all.

Post #: 198
RE: What Has Happened To Harry Potter? - 19/7/2010 11:30:53 AM   
JagLover

I donít read the books so this is purely a view as a fan of the films.

IMO this was the worst since the first two films, and unlike those films there is no childlike sense of fun.

First of all, for a film series that has been full of great cinematography, the picture was dark and dull. I purchased this in Blu Ray, but I neednít have bothered, the contrast with films like Goblet of fire is very marked.

Secondly the film is very disjointed the main plot jumps from point to point very hurriedly, while far too much time is spent on minor plot issues.

A final criticism is that it wastes Emma Watson, who spends the whole movie pining over Ron. I do not know how the book went, but Hermione of the films is the most interesting of Harry's companions and needs more to do.

It struggles to reach 2.5 out of 5. The peak of this series is a long time ago now.

(in reply to joanna likes films)
Post #: 199
4 stars - 10/10/2010 7:20:56 PM   
bereski

Empire gave 4 stars one issue later, so they gonna refresh this site.

Post #: 200
Still awesome - 12/10/2010 5:46:22 PM   
S1lent B0b

This was altogether a Great Potter film it got the balance between light & Dark and its also the funniest one by far. It was a Massive improvement on the Disappointing Fifth movie

Post #: 201
Disapointing. - 6/6/2011 7:42:09 PM   
trainedasninja

The plot here kinda rambles along fairly meaninglessly instead of capturing the relationship between Harry and Dumbledore. This should have been the real focus and would have given the emotional response and intensity needed. Plus that ending could have been alot more interesting. I accept the removal of the fight in hogwarts but the fight at the lake, as great as it was, was too short. However, besides, its entertaining enough and on a more positive note it looks the most stunning and beautiful yet. Overall, Just nothing really great about it really - 3 stars from me

< Message edited by trainedasninja -- 9/7/2011 5:19:46 PM >

Post #: 202
- 11/7/2011 10:28:02 PM   
TheGodfather

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince
See, now this is much better compared to part 5: more thrilling, darker and finally a story that really works towards something and that shows. Except for some plotholes this is a really strong film.

8,0/10

Post #: 203
This is not Harry Potter - 15/7/2011 12:25:07 PM   
shady_88

This is American Pie for Wizards.

Post #: 204
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Review - 13/12/2011 9:42:55 PM   
the film man

Dark, thrilling, and occasionally quite funny, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is also visually stunning and emotionally satisfying.

Post #: 205
Another Triumph For The Franchise - 2/4/2012 5:14:10 PM   
blaud

Personally, I have always found the Harry Potter films enjoyable and exciting affairs. The acting (on the part of the young leads) has always been a little questionable, as have some of the creative decisions to omit certain parts of the books and insert newly-envisioned ones. Half-Blood Prince manages to be a smart adaptation without taking any brash artistic liberties. Of course, there are changes, but they are all well implemented, and work in scenarios where a certain part of the book would not have worked in the context of the film. The pacing, as always, is a little uneven, but the story works on its' own merits as a superior work of fiction and filmic endeavor, rather than a list of missed-out parts from the novel. Certain parts are somewhat unconvincing, most notably Harry's brief relationship with Ginny, which is wooden and flat. Still more unexplored is the character of Slughorn, who is underdeveloped and nothing like his character as presented in the book (although he is masterfully portrayed by Jim Broadbent). At a general level, despite it's flaws, HP 6 is a well-directed and worthy addition to the series cannon, and is likely to keep die-hard fans as well as newcomers happy.

Post #: 206
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Worthwhile set-up for HP7 Part 1 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI