Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Page: <<   < prev  29 30 31 32 [33]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 11/4/2013 1:27:30 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well An Unexpected Journey looks predictably magnificent on Blu Ray, in both 2D and 3D. Definitely demo material all the way, with demo quality audio too. Need to watch the 2 hours of video diaries, as a nice teaser for the real meat of the extras to come with the extended edition. It was great just to watch the movie again, having rewatched it since Monday in both formats.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 961
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 11/4/2013 2:17:06 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Well An Unexpected Journey looks predictably magnificent on Blu Ray, in both 2D and 3D. Definitely demo material all the way, with demo quality audio too. Need to watch the 2 hours of video diaries, as a nice teaser for the real meat of the extras to come with the extended edition. It was great just to watch the movie again, having rewatched it since Monday in both formats.

Wait, what! They’re doing an Extended version of this ? It was already hugely long for the content of the book it covered.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 962
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 11/4/2013 2:24:42 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

quote:

Wait, what! They’re doing an Extended version of this ? It was already hugely long for the content of the book it covered.

It's like you've never purchased a Peter Jackson release before...

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 963
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 12/4/2013 12:17:59 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

quote:

Wait, what! They're doing an Extended version of this ? It was already hugely long for the content of the book it covered.

It's like you've never purchased a Peter Jackson release before...

Fair point!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 964
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 16/4/2013 11:46:23 PM   
Ref

Just a little thing from Xbox: an video interview with Armitage, O'Gorman and Turner about Erebor's Royal Family:~

Here it be!

As a side-note, when is the flipping trailer going to be released for Part II? I gain impatient

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

Post #: 965
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 9/5/2013 3:51:34 PM   
Ref

A transcription of the live event of the Desolation of Smaug Sneak Peek, as done by TORn:~

Voila!

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 966
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 11/5/2013 6:16:05 PM   
Ref

A Geeky Analysis on just how big Smaug will be:~

TORn's Way!

Interesting

EDIT:

And here's a mock up by Skaan and DanielLB over at TORn of Bilbo and Smaug('s nostril and eye) size-ratio:~

Click Me!

Is it December yet??

< Message edited by Ref -- 12/5/2013 6:19:30 PM >

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 967
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 13/5/2013 6:21:48 PM   
Ref

An interview with Cumberbatch about Smaug:~

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Wall Street Journal

Mention Smaug, the classic storybook dragon of J.R.R. Tolkien’s “The Hobbit,” and a ray of delight flickers across Benedict Cumberbatch’s pale eyes.

Smaug, “a most specially greedy, strong and wicked worm” of Tolkien lore, is for many children their first encounter with fire-breathing, scaly dragons. “First one for me,” Cumberbatch is quick to add. “My dad read the book to me and it was a bedtime treat if I had done well. If I had been a good boy, I’d get two chapters as opposed to maybe one or none if I had been really bad.”

As his father, actor Timothy Carlton, brought the colorful characters of “The Hobbit” to life, a film played out in young Cumberbatch’s mind – decades before he would be cast as Smaug in Peter Jackson’s own film “The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.”

“It became the first literary experience that played out as a visual fantasy or film in my head and really drew me into reading,” says the 36-year-old actor. “That particular world, it was so clear in my mind what that film was to me as a kid.”

Cumberbatch, star of “Sherlock” and “Star Trek Into Darkness,” singles out his father’s interpretation of Smeagol (“I’m convinced that Andy Serkis must have visited when I was being read bedtime stories”), but it was the dragon Smaug lording over the pile of gold that held the most allure.

“This incredibly vainglorious, beautiful, fantastical creature of myth with such power and human frailty, his vanity and self-promotion and ego being his own self-destruction really, and not realizing his weakness and his strength, and having a literal Achilles heel — it fascinated me,” he says.

To inhabit the character for “The Desolation of Smaug,” which is scheduled for a Dec. 13 release, Cumberbatch used Smaug-like powers of persuasion to convince director Jackson that he should do motion capture in addition to voiceover work. As he tells it, the conversation went like this:

“He wasn’t that in need of it but he said, ‘do you want to do it?’

I said, ‘Absolutely, I do. That’s the great appeal, trying to bring this –’

He said, ‘But–’

I went, ‘I know what you’re going to say: I’m a biped mammal, I’m not a serpent with tiny claws or legs. I don’t have a tail, I can’t breathe fire or fly, and the rest of the things that aren’t dragonlike about me. But I do think in my imagination I’ve got something which might at least push the WETA animation into a direction.’

He went, ‘Come down and play.’

So that was an amazing thing, I’d never been so free. You feel like a tit when you walk onto the stage and there are dots all over your face and your body, but the motion-capture volumes pick up every motion and turn it into an avatar.”

Cumberbatch says he’s inspired by, and indebted to, his father in coming to play Smaug, calling it “a beautiful full circle.”

In fact, Cumberbatch also performs as the Necromancer, doing both the voice and movement, but he won’t go into as much detail. “It was a huge challenge, but I’ll tell you more about that next time we speak,” he says. “I can’t say too much about it otherwise the forces in New Zealand will be on my back.”

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 968
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 6/6/2013 7:35:22 PM   
Ref

DoS trailer has been classified by the BBFC as a 12A clocking in at 2 minutes and 1 second long. Most are thinking that it will be attached to Man of Steel (which would be frigging awesome!). Here's the link to TORn:~

Ta Da!

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 969
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 10/6/2013 9:18:44 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

First poster:

Clicky!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 970
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 10/6/2013 10:17:52 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

First poster:

Clicky!

Beautiful image!

I was underwhelmed by AUJ (enjoyed it but just OK for me) but that poster has gotten my anticipation for the 2nd film up again.

No overlong Shire sequence at the start and (what should… nay, has to be!) the best dragon even committed to film… guaranteed improvement surely…. surely…………….

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 971
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 10/6/2013 2:31:16 PM   
Ref

quote:

quote:

First poster:

Clicky!

Beautiful image!

I was underwhelmed by AUJ (enjoyed it but just OK for me) but that poster has gotten my anticipation for the 2nd film up again.

No overlong Shire sequence at the start and (what should… nay, has to be!) the best dragon even committed to film… guaranteed improvement surely…. surely…………….

I don't think they'd need a Shire sequence in DoS. Perhaps a Smaug sequence and his desolation (see what I did there) of Lake Town, but no actual close up shot. I cannot frigging wait to see Smaug and to see how Cumberbatch has played him.

Post #: 972
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 10/6/2013 5:17:31 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

quote:

quote:

First poster:

Clicky!

Beautiful image!

I don't think they'd need a Shire sequence in DoS. Perhaps a Smaug sequence and his desolation (see what I did there) of Lake Town, but no actual close up shot. I cannot frigging wait to see Smaug and to see how Cumberbatch has played him.

I think that was his point!

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 973
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 10/6/2013 5:51:30 PM   
Ref

Oops

Do you reckon it shows that it was my brother's birthday yesterday and I had one too many bevvies? Many apologies.

Post #: 974
RE: The Hobbit - 10/6/2013 9:39:35 PM   
Miraeg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

New Line has TURNED DOWN Peter Jackson! The fools!

Here is the statement that PJ has released

As you know, there's been a lot of speculation about The Hobbit. We are often asked about when or if this film will ever be made. We have always responded that we would be very interested in making the film - if it were offered to us to make.
You may alsoشركات الأسمدة be aware that Wingnut Films has bought a lawsuit against New Line, which resulted from an audit we undertook on part of the income of The Fellowship of the Ring. Our دورات icdl attitude with the lawsuit has always been that since it's largely based on differences of opinion about certain accounting practices, we would like an independent body - whether it be a judge, a jury, or a mediator, to look at the issues and make an unbiased ruling. We are happy to accept whatever that ruling is. In our minds, it's not much more complex than that and that's exactly why film تعميرcontracts include right-to-audit clauses.
However, we have always said that we do not want to discuss The Hobbit with New Line until the lawsuit over New Line's accounting practices is resolved. This is simple common sense - you cannot be in a relationship with a film studio, making a complex, expensive movie نتائج الانتخابات and dealing with all the pressures and responsibilities that come with the job, while an unresolved lawsuit exists.
We have also said that we do not want to tie settlement of the lawsuit to making a film of The Hobbit. In other words, we would have to agree to make The Hobbit as a condition of New Lineخدمات اجتماعيةsettling our lawsuit. In our minds this is not the right reason to make a film and if a film of The Hobbit went ahead on this basis, it would be doomed. Deciding to make a movie should come from the heart - it's not a matter of business convenience. When you agree to make a film, you're taking on a massive commitment and you need to be driven by an absolute passion to want to get the story on screen. It's that passion, and passion alone, that gives the movie its imagination and heart. To us it is not a cold-blooded business decision.
A couple of months ago there was a flurry of Hobbit news in the media. MGM, who own a portion of the film rights in The Hobbit, publicly stated they wanted to make the film with us. كيفية الزراعة It was a little weird at the time because nobody from New Line had ever spoken to us about making a film of The Hobbit and the media had some fun with that. Within a week or two of those stories, our Manager Ken Kamins got a call from the co-president of New Line Cinema, Michael Lynne, who in essence told Ken that the way to settle the lawsuit was to get a commitment from us to make the Hobbit, because "that's how these things are done". Michael Lynne said we would stand to make muchمساعدات more money if we tied the lawsuit and the movie deal together and this may well be true, but it's still the worst reason in the world to agree to make a film.
Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second "LOTR prequel", covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free الديكور 2013 to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We've assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule.

However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.
Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director.
Given that New Line are committed to this course of action, we felt at the very least, we owed you, the fans, a straightforward account of events as they have unfolded for us.
We have always had the greatest support from The Ringers and we are very sorry our involvement Recruitmentwith The Hobbit has been ended in this way. Our journey into Tolkien's world started with a phone call from Ken Kamins to Harvey Weinstein in Nov 1995 and ended with a phone call رجيم سريعfrom Mark Ordesky to Ken in Nov 2006. It has been a great 11 years. This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects.
We send our very best wishes to whomever has the privilege of making The Hobbit and look forward to] شركات كمبيوتر seeing the film on the big screen.
Warmest regards to you all, and thanks for your incredible support over the years.
We got to go there - but not back again ...

Oh dear.

great explanation

< Message edited by Miraeg -- 29/6/2013 3:56:24 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 975
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 11/6/2013 6:18:25 PM   
Ref

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10102354395589186

Oh. My. God!

EDIT:

And here's screencaps from the trailer:~

http://imgur.com/a/ByJMY

< Message edited by Ref -- 11/6/2013 8:52:55 PM >

(in reply to Miraeg)
Post #: 976
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 12/6/2013 10:46:05 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'll be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by the trailer.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 977
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 12/6/2013 12:05:16 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

I'll be honest, I was a little underwhelmed by the trailer.

Me too.

Thought I’d be more exited as surely it’s only upwards from the first. But this isn’t doing it for me! All the CGI just looks naff. Just a complete over reliance on it and it just all looks to slick and clean. In LotR Middle Earth felt gritty and real but not anymore… too many pixels bouncing about the place. The white orc, villain thing just looks rubbish. Hated that thing in the first film and was hoping he’s be offed by the end of part one… no such luck.

Was expecting more from the design of Smaug too. Ken Scott’s line to build him up was great though. He should be hands down the greatest dragon ever committed to film but the shot of him here lacks any wow factor. But hopefully when he breaks out of the mountain and we see him in full flight he’ll be truly magnificent.

Lake Town however looks wonderful!

Post #: 978
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 12/6/2013 5:22:04 PM   
Ref

I wouldn't worry too much; WETA have got 6 more months to improve Smaug. Like I stated in another thread, look how great Gollum looked in AUJ and compare to the trailers. His facial movements were so life-like.

And to me, it's gonna be about how Smaug sounds. I've got faith in Cumberbatch, but I'm so very intrigued.

Post #: 979
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 12/6/2013 5:48:28 PM   
shool

I thought it looked great.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 980
RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 13/6/2013 7:32:41 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

I thought it looked great.

Me too.
Watching this trailer/teaser gave me more interest than the earlier film ever did.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 13/6/2013 7:49:22 PM >

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 981
The Desolation of Smaug - 13/6/2013 9:11:30 PM   
Alistair

Can't say I was particularly impressed by the trailer either. I'm with Pete - There's just too much CGI going on. Peter Jackson makes Lucas's use of CGI seem minimal. And he seems to use it for the most unnecessary of things, too.

Smaug - Surprised they showed so much of him, but again I was underwhelmed. As mentioned above, will probably be spectacular when we get full body shots, in flight, etc.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 982
RE: The Desolation of Smaug - 14/6/2013 1:15:32 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

Can't say I was particularly impressed by the trailer either. I'm with Pete - There's just too much CGI going on. Peter Jackson makes Lucas's use of CGI seem minimal. And he seems to use it for the most unnecessary of things, too.

Smaug - Surprised they showed so much of him, but again I was underwhelmed. As mentioned above, will probably be spectacular when we get full body shots, in flight, etc.

This is exactly it! That shot where the white orc thing (Azog?) jumps up and the camera zooms in… why is it CGI?!? A guy in good prosthetics would sell that shot much, much better! It just doesn’t look real.

It’s a shame to see Jackson go so far down this route, as the balance of practical and digital in Lord of the Rings was absolutely perfect. You need 250,000 orcs sieging a gargantuan citadel or the worlds largest dragon attaching from the air… then by all means, crack out the computers! You’re basically going to get by far the best results. But if you need one orc in shot or some elves running about then crack out the make up!

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 14/6/2013 1:16:15 PM >

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 983
RE: The Desolation of Smaug - 14/6/2013 2:34:59 PM   
musht

The CGI in The Hobbit is such a disappointment. It's not even good CGI, Gollum in LotR looks better than Azog, I don't understand why they didn't use prosthetics, the head of the Uruk-Hai was brilliant and genuinely scary. It seems to me that the CGI only highlights how child friendly these Hobbit films are (if that makes any sense).

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

Post #: 984
RE: The Desolation of Smaug - 1/7/2013 10:53:09 PM   
Ref

Although musht, the CGI on Gollum was bloody brilliant in AUJ - far superior to anything else in 2012 (and yes, I reckon that Gollum was better than anything in Life of Pi). Anyway, Hobbit fans, PJ has released a new Production Diary:~

This Way!

Orlando and Evangeline looked hilarious on top of that green buckeroo

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 985
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 31 32 [33]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Page: <<   < prev  29 30 31 32 [33]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI