Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Hobbit - 3/12/2012 12:19:38 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: gordonsalive

Then don't watch it dude.

I'm guessing you're relatively new here GA - don't fall for directorscut's usual tactics is my advice.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to gordonsalive)
Post #: 901
RE: The Hobbit - 3/12/2012 1:42:35 PM   
Ref

Top quality tv spot with a quick glimpse of Smaug:~

Ta Da

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 902
RE: The Hobbit - 3/12/2012 6:29:55 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

Top quality tv spot with a quick glimpse of Smaug:~

Ta Da

I read someone comment about this somewhere else and I think they may a point in suggesting that this may not be Smaug. If memory serves, Smaug is Golden Red isn't he? That dragon looks black. This may just be from a prologue or flashback, just showing the existence of dragons in general in Middle Earth.

Or I could be way off... and it's just Smaug

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 3/12/2012 6:31:23 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 903
RE: The Hobbit - 3/12/2012 9:13:13 PM   
Ref

Or he perhaps got the golden glow from *spoilers* lying on the Dwarves treasure/gold *end of spoilers*

I dunno, just speculating here

EDIT: Here's an interview with Richard Armitage, which contains a clip:~

Clicky

< Message edited by Ref -- 3/12/2012 10:27:07 PM >

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 904
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 6:16:51 AM   
Drew_231

IGN has a review up

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/04/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-review

Interesting

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 905
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 9:20:34 AM   
pete_traynor

Embargo appears to have been lifted a day early and the reviews are staring to pile in on Rotten Tomatoes. Currently on 82%.

Reaction seems to be as I expected on the whole. Seems like a mostly positive reaction but many (justifiably I should guess) are saying it's too long and takes a long while to get going.

But for the most part, seems to be getting the kind of reaction so far that I would have thought. At the end of the day this simply is not tLotR, so anyone who expected it to be quite on that extraordinary level was always in for a little bit of disappointment.

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 4/12/2012 9:21:51 AM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Drew_231)
Post #: 906
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 9:41:41 AM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

Embargo appears to have been lifted a day early and the reviews are staring to pile in on Rotten Tomatoes. Currently on 82%.

Reaction seems to be as I expected on the whole. Seems like a mostly positive reaction but many (justifiably I should guess) are saying it's too long and takes a long while to get going.

But for the most part, seems to be getting the kind of reaction so far that I would have thought. At the end of the day this simply is not tLotR, so anyone who expected it to be quite on that extraordinary level was always in for a little bit of disappointment.

Exactly, from when I first herad about the hobbit and then the 3 film plan I thought it would be a more slower paced film with a lot of it taking place in the shire. Tbh, one of the things i love about fellowship of the ring is spending time in the shire so if i can lose myself for about 30-40 minutes in the shire at the beginning of the film then great.

Post #: 907
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 10:12:25 AM   
jackcarter

another review
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59869
sounds like its shaping up to be The Phantom Hobbit!!...with the similar 'padding' problems of Kong

be ironic if these prequels end up being lambasted and Jackson is vilified Lucas style...but the SW sequels come out and are amazing (a complete about face of the SW prequels/LOTRs)

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 4/12/2012 11:01:34 AM >

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 908
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 11:13:25 AM   
giggity

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

another review
sounds like its shaping up to be The Phantom Hobbit!!...with the similar 'padding' problems of Kong

be ironic if these prequels end up being lambasted and Jackson is vilified Lucas style...but the SW sequels come out and are amazing (a complete about face of the SW prequels/LOTRs)

Phantom Hobbit seems very over exaggerated. The problems seem to be that it's a bit overlong and perhaps there's not enough material to justify the run-time. And some dodgy CGI at times, other than that the film seems to be getting praise all round. Hardly the fuck-up Phantom Menace was.

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 909
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 11:36:56 AM   
pete_traynor

Aint it cool

They still going

Don't think I'd place too much emphasis on their opinion.

Just don't expect the moon on a stick and I think we'll be fine with The Hobbit. On a fundamental level, the source material is just light years ahead of anything Lucas could ever dream up

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 910
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 11:54:51 AM   
giggity

yeah, i read somewhere that someone said the hobbits biggest problem is LOTR. The fact that it's the prequel to a film series commonly hailed in the greatest films of all time, the film simply being very good still makes it inferior to LOTR and most likely in the eyes of crazy fanboys it automatically becomes a 'shit film' because of that fact. It would be interesting to see if the hobbit would be getting the same reviews if it were the first films to be released and not LOTR

Post #: 911
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 12:07:00 PM   
Ref

So I had a quick glance at the reviews, and many seem to say to watch it first at 24 fps and then go again to watch it at 48 fps. I was going to do this anyway

Anyone know when the Empire review is up?

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 912
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 12:18:11 PM   
Joserabal

The Hobbit is series of Three movies:-
An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again.........These movies are release in year 2012, 2013, 2014.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 913
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 5:12:26 PM   
MASH4077

So, just be clear, there's 5 versions right? 2D, 3D, IMAX 3D, HFR 3D and HFR IMAX 3D? Just so I know how many times to watch it, you understand

On a sensible note: Odeon have expanded their screens with HFR 3D showings - including Leicester Square (phew) Also they've added Swiss Cottage to the HFR IMAX 3D list - I am sort of tempted - but Swiss Cottage isn't a "proper" IMAX screen is it?

Don't go that way. NEVER go that way.

West End Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NQ0A8

(in reply to Joserabal)
Post #: 914
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 6:40:42 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: MASH4077

So, just be clear, there's 5 versions right? 2D, 3D, IMAX 3D, HFR 3D and HFR IMAX 3D? Just so I know how many times to watch it, you understand

On a sensible note: Odeon have expanded their screens with HFR 3D showings - including Leicester Square (phew) Also they've added Swiss Cottage to the HFR IMAX 3D list - I am sort of tempted - but Swiss Cottage isn't a "proper" IMAX screen is it?

No. None of them are proper IMAX screens except the BFI one at Waterloo. Think there are only 6 proper IMAX screens in the UK. Rest are digital IMAX screens, some of which are almost the same size are regular screens.

The BFI are screening it from a 15perf 70mm reel. So while not at 48fps, it should look great... and big! Think the recent IMAX screenings of Skyfall were from a reel like that and it looked incredible.

(in reply to MASH4077)
Post #: 915
RE: The Hobbit - 4/12/2012 8:32:49 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again

An Unexpected Menace...Attack of the Smaug....Revenge and Back Again

< Message edited by jackcarter -- 4/12/2012 8:48:15 PM >

Post #: 916
RE: The Hobbit - 5/12/2012 10:05:41 AM   
MASH4077

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

No. None of them are proper IMAX screens except the BFI one at Waterloo. Think there are only 6 proper IMAX screens in the UK. Rest are digital IMAX screens, some of which are almost the same size are regular screens.

The BFI are screening it from a 15perf 70mm reel. So while not at 48fps, it should look great... and big! Think the recent IMAX screenings of Skyfall were from a reel like that and it looked incredible.

Thanks, that what I thought. I'm not sure I can cope with 3 hours in the BFI IMAX seats - not much legroom (unless you're a Dwarf)

Don't go that way. NEVER go that way.

West End Map: http://goo.gl/maps/NQ0A8

Post #: 917
RE: The Hobbit - 5/12/2012 12:26:45 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

quote:

An Unexpected Journey, The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again

An Unexpected Menace...Attack of the Smaug....Revenge and Back Again

Take a bow, made me chuckle

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

(in reply to jackcarter)
Post #: 918
RE: The Hobbit - 5/12/2012 2:22:18 PM   
Ref

Empire's review is up and it's 4/5 - nicely done!

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 919
RE: The Hobbit - 6/12/2012 11:32:33 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ref

Empire's review is up and it's 4/5 - nicely done!

Total film went with a 5* take on it.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 920
RE: The Hobbit - 6/12/2012 1:43:48 PM   
Ref

Well time will tell who's right, Pete

And whilst we're waiting to see it for ourselves, here's a great little 13 minute doc with loads of clips:~

Follow Me

EDIT: Also here's a picture of The Bard and Legolas:~

Take a butchers

< Message edited by Ref -- 6/12/2012 4:28:33 PM >

Post #: 921
RE: The Hobbit - 7/12/2012 2:33:49 AM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

quote:

another review

Phantom Hobbit seems very over exaggerated. The problems seem to be that it's a bit overlong and perhaps there's not enough material to justify the run-time. And some dodgy CGI at times, other than that the film seems to be getting praise all round.

I do wonder if some sections of the media would love to create a Lucas-type narrative round Jackson - that (now deleted) comment in one online newspaper review comparing Radagast to Binks seemed fairly dubious.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 922
RE: The Hobbit - 7/12/2012 5:07:27 AM   
Joserabal

Tha Hobbit is a series of movies and in this series Three movies are include...........That are:-
An Unexpected Journey
The Desolation of Smaug
There and Back Again

These movies are released in 2012, 2013, 2014..........

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 923
RE: The Hobbit - 9/12/2012 11:07:02 PM   
Scruffybobby

Just saw that mu local Vue have a 48fps screening. I think I'll have to check it out -if only to see what the fuss is about.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Joserabal)
Post #: 924
RE: The Hobbit - 11/12/2012 11:31:15 AM   
jrewing1000

I'll be watching 2D 24fps, just for the record. The last thing I want when I'm watching a movie is to be reminded I'm watching a movie.
I remember seeing Public Enemies and thinking it looked appalling, I thought there was something wrong with the projector.

I'm all for improving quality, but Jackson seems to have missed the point - he says it's like Vinyl V Cd. Yes Peter, Vinyl remains the best way of listening to music, whereas CD is a digital simulation of that. And so I remain committed to the best way of watching films. I also disagree with him when he says the public should decide. The public will take what they are given. It's the industry's responsibility to provide them with the best possible experience.

Rather than saying it's a better format, we should be embracing these new formats as alternatives specific to certain types of films. I believe film presentation will branch off into different types for different kinds of movies, rather than one format surpassing others. In fact, whenever I hear a director championing a new format, I just see dollar signs in their eyes (eg. Cameron).

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 925
RE: The Hobbit - 12/12/2012 1:06:50 AM   
rich

Eh it's a film it should look like a film, not a cheap digital TV effort. Real celluloid quality. It stinks of gimmick as badly as 3D.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 926
RE: The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey - 13/12/2012 7:45:55 AM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stongrey

Watch The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey online Free Full Streaming : Some love stories ar engineered on passion, some on spirit and a few on hope. terribly seldom does one bump into a story that encompasses itself around a journey. The Hobbit: AN surprising Journey introduces United States to the planet of Bilbo Baggins, WHO mirrors the foremost innocent of sentiments that lie fast up at intervals the depths of our heart.Well, it develops on you. The HFR style has immediacy and sparkle, notably within the outside places, wherever the New island scenery, altogether their class, ar exposed a lot of significantly and clearly, ANd there's an nearly documented legitimacy to the fantasy. within the house although, it is not quite identical tale. we tend to technique the perplexity via its mythological setup: the scary monster Smaug appropriates the tiny Empire of Erebor.

Come again!!!

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."
Post #: 927
RE: The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey - 13/12/2012 9:32:25 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stongrey

Watch The Hobbit an Unexpected Journey online Free Full Streaming : Some love stories ar engineered on passion, some on spirit and a few on hope. terribly seldom does one bump into a story that encompasses itself around a journey. The Hobbit: AN surprising Journey introduces United States to the planet of Bilbo Baggins, WHO mirrors the foremost innocent of sentiments that lie fast up at intervals the depths of our heart.Well, it develops on you. The HFR style has immediacy and sparkle, notably within the outside places, wherever the New island scenery, altogether their class, ar exposed a lot of significantly and clearly, ANd there's an nearly documented legitimacy to the fantasy. within the house although, it is not quite identical tale. we tend to technique the perplexity via its mythological setup: the scary monster Smaug appropriates the tiny Empire of Erebor.

Come again!!!

Introducing the newest member of Empire’s review staff.

(in reply to Peter Griffin)
Post #: 928
RE: The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey - 14/12/2012 1:48:02 AM   
TolkenHobbitGuy

Great entertainment all around. Had to see it in 48fps, as it was the emptiest showing, make of that
what you will. It felt like watching a silent film at times and at others the effect was almost non existent.
The best it looked was any time there was slow motion, azanulbizar or the Thorin/Azog moment near the end.
It somehow made 3D look even more pop-up bookish.

Post #: 929
RE: The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey - 14/12/2012 1:16:06 PM   
AxlReznor

I'm off to see this tomorrow. I can't wait! It's been a long time coming.

People on here won't be able to tell based on my posts on this forum, but The Lord Of The Rings movies are actually my favourite trilogy of all time. (Yes... even better than that other trilogy I've spent so much time on this forum talking about).

(in reply to TolkenHobbitGuy)
Post #: 930
Page:   <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  29 30 [31] 32 33   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI