Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Hobbit - 25/11/2006 7:39:46 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

The Dark Lords of the New Line will crumble...

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Goody)
Post #: 61
RE: The Hobbit - 10/1/2007 7:34:41 PM   
Timon

.............or they will blacklist Peter Jackson.

From Sci-Fi Wire;

In the latest comment in the controversy surrounding a proposed movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, New Line head Robert Shaye told SCI FI Wire in no uncertain terms that the studio won't work with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson on that film or any other film. Ever. At least not as long as Shaye is in charge.

Shaye's comments marked the first time a New Line executive has commented publicly on the fracas since
Jackson announced that he has pulled out of the project and also appears to harden New Line's position against Jackson.

"I do not want to make a movie with somebody who is suing me," Shaye—New Line's chief executive officer—said in an interview on Jan. 5 while promoting The Last Mimzy, a New Line family fantasy that marks his first time in a director's chair since 1990's Book of Love. "It will never happen during my watch."

Jackson had told TheOneRing.net in November that he and partner Fran Walsh were bowing out after New Line, which produced the Rings films and has production rights to The Hobbit, told them the studio was moving ahead with The Hobbit without them. Jackson has said he won't discuss The Hobbit until a lawsuit against New Line over Rings accounting practices is settled.

As far as Shaye is concerned, Jackson is no longer welcome. "There's a kind of arrogance," Shaye said. "Not that I don't think Peter is a good filmmaker and that he hasn't contributed significantly to filmography and made three very good movies. And I don't even expect him to say 'thank you' for having me make it happen and having New Line make it happen. But to think that I, as a functionary in [a] company that has been around for a long time, but is now owned by a very big conglomerate, would care one bit about trying to cheat the guy, ... he's either had very poor counsel or is completely misinformed and myopic to think that I care whether I give him [anything]."

Shaye, who was also an executive producer on the Rings films, added: "He got a quarter of a billion dollars paid to him so far, justifiably, according to contract, completely right, and this guy, who already has received a quarter of a billion dollars, turns around without wanting to have a discussion with us and sues us and refuses to discuss it unless we just give in to his plan. I don't want to work with that guy anymore. Why would I? So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company."

Shaye said that many of the Rings trilogy actors "suddenly, because, I'm guessing, of Peter's complaint," have declined to participate in celebrating New Line's 40th anniversary. "I'm incredibly offended," he said. "I don't care about Peter Jackson anymore. He wants to have another $100 million or $50 million, whatever he's suing us for. He doesn't want to sit down and talk about it. He thinks that we owe him something after we've paid him over a quarter of a billion dollars. ... Cheers, Peter."

New Line's hardened position against Jackson isn't the end of the story, of course. MGM, which owns the distribution rights to The Hobbit, on Nov. 20 told Variety through a spokesman that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing the Hobbit films is far from closed."

In his own online statement, Jackson said that New Line executive Mark Ordesky, who shepherded the Rings trilogy, argued that New Line is dumping Jackson because the studio has a "limited time option" on the film rights, obtained from Saul Zaentz.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 62
RE: The Hobbit - 11/1/2007 9:52:05 AM   
TheGreatEye

Seconds out, Round 3 *Ding Ding!*

Answering statement from Wingnut:

"Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.
In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this law suit by many years.
Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to it's contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so."

Someone will write a book about this. Can't wait!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 63
RE: The Hobbit - 11/1/2007 4:11:56 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I can't wait too. Tolkien's greatest message was to never lose hope. I still look forward to what MGM, Sony or Time Warner will say. Bob Shaye is only one man, and I do wonder what's up with Mark Odesky too.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to TheGreatEye)
Post #: 64
RE: The Hobbit - 11/1/2007 9:50:03 PM   
Gibdo

It's be a crime for Peter Jackson not to direct this film. It is, of course, his film. If it's officially announced and Mr. PJ is directing it then there's no reason why it won't be great!

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 65
RE: The Hobbit - 25/5/2007 10:43:39 AM   
JagLover

It would be best if Peter Jackson directed this movie and of course if Ian Mckellen returns as Gandalf.

However a change in director may not be as disatrous as some seem to think. The Hobbit is a light hearted children's book it is not nearly as deep and meaningful as the LOTR.

(in reply to Gibdo)
Post #: 66
RE: The Hobbit - 24/7/2007 1:07:49 PM   
The Bantam Menace

IMDB are saying Sam Raimi is on board with this. Any truth in it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 67
RE: The Hobbit - 24/7/2007 1:55:24 PM   
Beno

Give it to Alfonso Cuaran for flips sake and cast James Purefoy as Bilbo .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to The Bantam Menace)
Post #: 68
RE: The Hobbit - 27/7/2007 3:11:54 PM   
shool

IMDP say they are not sure, see below quote.

Is Sam Raimi definitely directing?
We are not sure. Sam Raimi has been said to be in negotiations with New Line Cinema. This came about when Raimi expressed an interest in directing the prequel if he got the approval of Peter Jackson. But co-chairman of New Line Robert Shaye has not yet confirmed any of these rumours and has stated he does not know who will direct. Although rumours have now arisen that Peter Weir, the director of Master and Commander has been approached to helm the project.  Sounds like its still pretty much up in the air to me.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to The Bantam Menace)
Post #: 69
RE: The Hobbit - 27/7/2007 3:45:04 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: JagLover

It would be best if Peter Jackson directed this movie and of course if Ian Mckellen returns as Gandalf.

However a change in director may not be as disatrous as some seem to think. The Hobbit is a light hearted children's book it is not nearly as deep and meaningful as the LOTR.

Never underestimate the power and meaning in a children's book.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 70
RE: - 11/8/2007 5:23:03 PM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tony Soprano

Comig soon.net says things are looking better it says bob shaye respects jackson and would like him involved in some way and also says that Ian Mckellen would only do it if Jackson and fran are involved i can see a possible exc director/producing for jackson Fran doing screenplay howard shore score and sam raimi directing i would love that because it would be the same feeling as the lord but a bit fresher with raimi

Yeah i read that story just now. But i really don't want Raimi to do it. As they say: Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Et In Arcadia Ego
Post #: 71
RE: RE: - 11/8/2007 7:08:02 PM   
danbo1138

please god no rami,after the dismal spidey 3 i won't be in a hurry to see any of his films any time soon

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 72
RE: RE: - 13/8/2007 1:54:13 PM   
shool

See quote showing that likelt Raimi will direct and that Jackson will produce.

"The Los Angeles Time reports that New Line's Bob Shaye is in talks with filmmaker Peter Jackson's representatives to potentially work something out in regards to his involvement in the "Lord of the Rings" prequel adaptation of "The Hobbit".

Shaye says "Yes, that's a fair statement. Notwithstanding our personal quarrels, I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively involved in some way with THE HOBBIT."

The result is one of the juiciest rumours in a while. IESB reports that although Jackson won’t be back to direct, a source of theirs is telling them that Sam Raimi is looking to direct with Peter Jackson attached to produce.

Raimi has previously said he would not take on the project without Jackson’s blessing and is apparently leaning towards it as his next project rather than the "Clash of the Titans" remake."

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 73
RE: RE: - 13/8/2007 10:04:11 PM   
danbo1138

aww shit

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 74
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 14/8/2007 1:39:07 PM   
mafyou

I still think that Jackson will want to do it. If he doesn't he will always be thinking of it as a missed opportunity. Plus Raimi sucks.

Et In Arcadia Ego
Post #: 75
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 14/8/2007 8:41:48 PM   
danbo1138

yup i agree,jackson wil kick himself if he lets it slip through his fingers.rami is the wrong man for the job.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 76
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 15/8/2007 4:25:00 PM   
mafyou

I've been watching the Appendices recently. I've never watched them before which is a sin i know but i just can't bear to watch them all as it will mean the end. But anyway, you just realise that Walsh, Boyens and Jackson wrote a note perfect script. They should be allowed to do The Hobbit and then The Silmarillion if they so wish. I would pay to see all of these. Obviously i still want them to do other projects as i think otherwise they would get fed up with Middle Earth. So The Lovely Bones then Hobbit and whilst writing the Silmarillion or Children of Hurin a couple of other projects because to write the script for Silmarillion would take a very long time.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 77
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 17/8/2007 1:10:39 PM   
councilskivvy

God damn, just let Jackson do it! Maybe he should of done this at the same time as the other 3, god damn that would of been great!

"I Lie, I Cheat, I Steal"

Eddie Guerrero 1967 - 2005
Stealing Life, Cheating Death
VIVA LA RAZA!!!

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 78
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 19/8/2007 6:30:21 PM   
danbo1138

i like to think even if newline go ahead with it and have another director and effects house,that when the rights go back to the tolkien estate that it will make a jackson version to fit with the lotr.

i can dream

(in reply to councilskivvy)
Post #: 79
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 20/8/2007 1:00:29 AM   
mafyou

Well i am more confident than ever that Jackson will make it. Shaye is eating his words and the guy who owns the rights (Zaentz?) to make it gets the rights back off of New Line sometime soon wants Jackson to make it.

Best way to think of it is when Jackson does make it, there are going to be a lot of appendices even before the making of stuff.

I really don't like Raimi. I've not been impressed with Spiderman series. It's just plain average.I'll probably be wrong and he will make it the best film ever.

< Message edited by mafyou -- 20/8/2007 1:03:12 AM >

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 80
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 20/8/2007 11:20:12 AM   
danbo1138

no your right he is just average,held up imo by expencive cgi.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 81
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 21/8/2007 6:26:50 PM   
Dozy McGrew

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

I've been watching the Appendices recently. I've never watched them before which is a sin i know but i just can't bear to watch them all as it will mean the end. But anyway, you just realise that Walsh, Boyens and Jackson wrote a note perfect script. They should be allowed to do The Hobbit and then The Silmarillion if they so wish. I would pay to see all of these. Obviously i still want them to do other projects as i think otherwise they would get fed up with Middle Earth. So The Lovely Bones then Hobbit and whilst writing the Silmarillion or Children of Hurin a couple of other projects because to write the script for Silmarillion would take a very long time.

I don't see how you could film The Silmarillion as one story. The book as it was published is basically an appendice rather than a story. The characters have no voices of there own it's all a matter of Feanor did this and Turin did that and Morgoth smoted a lot. I haven't read Children of Hurin yet although I know the basic plot from The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales but even then it seems too broad a story to narrow down. There's just no sense of reality in these stories as there was in The Hobbit and the Rings book. The Hobbits themselves grounded the plots of those in some sort of feasible reality and they're just not there.

We're in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick-insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 82
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 22/8/2007 11:53:53 AM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dozy McGrew

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

I don't see how you could film The Silmarillion as one story. The book as it was published is basically an appendice rather than a story. The characters have no voices of there own it's all a matter of Feanor did this and Turin did that and Morgoth smoted a lot. I haven't read Children of Hurin yet although I know the basic plot from The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales but even then it seems too broad a story to narrow down. There's just no sense of reality in these stories as there was in The Hobbit and the Rings book. The Hobbits themselves grounded the plots of those in some sort of feasible reality and they're just not there.

I'm not saying you're wrong because you're not. I just can't imagine a studio going...'well guys that's that' when they still have The Silmarillion as a source for films. I've not read Children of Hurin yet just what is from The Silmarillion and i guess it could be done but i'd have to read the book to find out.

This is what i mean about Boyens, Walsh and Jackson. If they want to adapt some of the stories from The Silmarillion they are probably the only people i'd trust to do a good job and is enjoyable and faithful. But The Hobbit isn't even made yet so we don't need to worry about that yet!

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Dozy McGrew)
Post #: 83
RE: Theres no way hobbit won't happen without Jackson i... - 29/9/2007 2:18:25 PM   
liviclyde

Anyone heard anything more about this?

Singing to an ocean, I can hear the oceans roar Play for free , play for me and play a whole lot more Singing of the good things and the sun that lights the day Singing to the ocean, has the ocean lost its way. (Bohnam/Jones/Page/Plant)

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 84
McKellen keen to play Gandalf - 15/10/2007 10:51:01 AM   
Biggus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7044649.stm

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 85
RE: RE: - 15/10/2007 11:51:32 AM   
JagLover

IMO it is more important to have McKellen back as Gandalf since that establishes a strong link with the LOTR films.

Can you imagine anyone else in the role?

It would be nice to have Jackson back as Director, but not essential. This needs to be a different film to the LOTR trilogy if they follow the book.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 86
RE: RE: - 15/10/2007 8:54:03 PM   
Wedge

IMO it is essential that Ian McKellen plays Gandelf.  Strangely, I just wouldn't consider it an 'official' adaption otherwise.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 87
RE:bilbo? - 15/10/2007 10:01:41 PM   
danbo1138

should ian holm reprise his role as bilbo?and if not who should play him?

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 88
RE: RE: - 18/10/2007 8:39:51 PM   
liviclyde

Did McKellen not say he wouldn't do it if Jackson wasn't involved?

Singing to an ocean, I can hear the oceans roar Play for free , play for me and play a whole lot more Singing of the good things and the sun that lights the day Singing to the ocean, has the ocean lost its way. (Bohnam/Jones/Page/Plant)

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 89
RE: RE: - 22/10/2007 10:09:53 AM   
mafyou

quote:

ORIGINAL: liviclyde

Did McKellen not say he wouldn't do it if Jackson wasn't involved?

I don't think he ever said that quite so explicitly. He would be disappointed or something. But as has already been said, no McKellen - no true adaptation. If it is announced that McKellen and Jackson are back i'll be a very happy man.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to liviclyde)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI