Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Hobbit - 30/7/2012 4:49:45 PM   
directorscut

All hail the all-ighty -ollar!

< Message edited by directorscut -- 30/7/2012 4:50:16 PM >

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to thesander123)
Post #: 751
RE: The Hobbit - 30/7/2012 4:59:34 PM   
Ref

I'm non too sure on that announcement - I'd have much preferred just 2 films.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 752
RE: The Hobbit - 30/7/2012 5:56:22 PM   
impqueen

Three films?

Yes, always.

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 753
RE: The Hobbit - 30/7/2012 6:23:03 PM   
jon5000

One film would have done. You know, like the book.

The idea of another story being created out of extended footage and possible reshoots sounds a bit like undisciplined storytelling to me.

There's bound to be a lot of froth for what should be such a simple story. Leave it on the cutting room floor, don't shape a final film out of it.

As good as the LOTR films were, I think Jackson can be a bit of a reckless editor sometimes. There were many narrative threads which felt awfully clunky throughout the trilogy. Even edits to the scripts. I remember watching the extensive behind the scenes footage seeing decisions being made like, 'we felt Aragorn needed to nearly die at this point', 'we felt the Elves should come and help out at this point' or 'we thought a fitting end to the character of Saruman would have slowed the film down' which just seemed so jarring and not very fluid.

I have a feeling this will be not unlike the Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 754
RE: The Hobbit - 30/7/2012 6:43:59 PM   
rich

Load of bollocks

Meanwhile...

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 755
RE: The Hobbit - 30/7/2012 6:45:31 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

Three films?

Pretty much exactly what my reaction was. Jackson has lost it really, he hasn't made a good film since LotR and with this news of him apparently over-egging the Hobbit pudding it seems he's in danger of turning into a Lucas. It's little more than a novella, I thought he was taking the piss with 2 films but with 3? I can see it being crammed with a load of awful navel-gazing filler. Alas for Guillermo son of Federico! Thy sure vision would have been most welcome.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 756
RE: The Hobbit - 31/7/2012 4:49:14 AM   
vad3r

This looks like a family film and completely the opposite of what made LOTR great.

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 757
RE: The Hobbit - 31/7/2012 9:29:45 AM   
Ref

quote:

ORIGINAL: vad3r

This looks like a family film and completely the opposite of what made LOTR great.

To be fair, The Hobbit is a children's book.

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 758
RE: The Hobbit - 31/7/2012 10:32:54 AM   
pete_traynor

While I’m in total agreement that 3 films seems too much at present, I’m not sure that all this talk of the Hobbits content justifying screen time is actually all that relevant. This was always going to incorporate much more from this period than what is covered in the Hobbit. They said early on they would be drawing on the appendices of LotR to create a fuller story. Early on there was to be a bridge film, dedicated to nothing except the period between the Hobbit and LotR. So perhaps this will be the basic make up of the 3rd film.

quote:

As many have pointed out, this is a children’s book and as such Jackson has spoken about the problems this presents with his adaptations to date. They have had to add to the narrative and alter the tone a lot in order to make this work as a prequel to LotR. Basically, for this to work as a complete cinematic saga you need to set up LotR and establish a flowing tone that will not seem at odds with the stakes and darkness that are to come. That means no fighting spiders with songs unfortunately

But they probably need to change the name of film 2 now, as There and Back Again sounds too final for the second act. Domains have been registered for both Riddles in the Dark and the Desolation of Smaug. Films 2 and 3 respectively perhaps? Although they’d have to pad out film 1 to get RitD into film 2 I would think.

While I definitely have my sceptical hat on at the moment, this may turn out to be a good idea in the long run.

Or, it may just be purely for the financial skank!

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 31/7/2012 10:37:48 AM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 759
RE: The Hobbit - 31/7/2012 3:02:58 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

While I’m in total agreement that 3 films seems too much at present, I’m not sure that all this talk of the Hobbits content justifying screen time is actually all that relevant. This was always going to incorporate much more from this period than what is covered in the Hobbit. They said early on they would be drawing on the appendices of LotR to create a fuller story. Early on there was to be a bridge film, dedicated to nothing except the period between the Hobbit and LotR. So perhaps this will be the basic make up of the 3rd film.

The Hobbit 3: Revenge of Smaug

The Hobbit 3: Bilbo eats second breakfasts.

Cant say im really all that excited about it. Have no idea where they will go with it. But come a trailer I will be all smiles

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 760
RE: The Hobbit - 31/7/2012 3:38:09 PM   
Dannybohy

Maybe he is losing the plot, it might at least explain his unwavering support for convicted Child Murderers!?...

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 761
RE: The Hobbit - 31/7/2012 3:56:14 PM   
superdan

quote:

This was always going to incorporate much more from this period than what is covered in the Hobbit. They said early on they would be drawing on the appendices of LotR to create a fuller story. Early on there was to be a bridge film, dedicated to nothing except the period between the Hobbit and LotR. So perhaps this will be the basic make up of the 3rd film.

The trouble is that there really isn't all that much in the LotR appendices to pad out The Hobbit, and much that could have been used was wasted on LotR itself. Most of it is guff about language & pronunciations, family trees and the like. Unless these Hobbit films are nice 1hr 20min bitesize morsels each I can't see how it isn't going to be a bit of a mess.

Post #: 762
RE: The Hobbit - 31/7/2012 4:05:41 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

This was always going to incorporate much more from this period than what is covered in the Hobbit. They said early on they would be drawing on the appendices of LotR to create a fuller story. Early on there was to be a bridge film, dedicated to nothing except the period between the Hobbit and LotR. So perhaps this will be the basic make up of the 3rd film.

The trouble is that there really isn't all that much in the LotR appendices to pad out The Hobbit, and much that could have been used was wasted on LotR itself. Most of it is guff about language & pronunciations, family trees and the like. Unless these Hobbit films are nice 1hr 20min bitesize morsels each I can't see how it isn't going to be a bit of a mess.

Sounds riveting

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 763
RE: The Hobbit - 1/8/2012 10:36:47 AM   
superdan

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

Sounds riveting

Indeed

Post #: 764
RE: The Hobbit - 1/8/2012 11:09:18 AM   
st3veebee

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Everyone I talk to about the upcoming Hobbit film(s) is severly nonplussed based on the trailers. Don't drop the ball Jackson!

Personall i can't wait but, and I have said it before, those dwarves just don't look right.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 765
RE: The Hobbit - 4/8/2012 12:23:46 PM   
Ref

'New' Hobbit Trailer aka Trailer 1.1:~

Trailer

Only 3/4 new shots, but a new one nonetheless.

< Message edited by Ref -- 4/8/2012 12:46:24 PM >

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 766
RE: The Hobbit - 4/8/2012 12:30:55 PM   
danbo1138

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 767
The Hobbit - 6/8/2012 9:29:51 AM   
Alistair

As has been said: I'm confused. Three films...why? I'm sure we'll all look back on these discussions and think 'boy, we got that wrong', but I still can't help but feel they are going a bit overkill with The Hobbit. It's a simple story and not in the same multi-layered, dramatic league as LOTR. I'm curious to see how Jackson handles the tone on screen. A lot of people will go in to this expecting the same drama as LOTR but I'm not so sure it's there. Unless Jackson has worked out a way of shifting the tone.

I don't mind the fact that's it's three films (three films to look forward to!), but I just hope it all works.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 6/8/2012 10:49:59 AM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 768
RE: The Hobbit - 6/8/2012 9:39:36 AM   
Dead Mike

Really don't get the reaction to the look of the dwarves? The design is pretty consistent with the look of Gimli from the original trilogy imo.

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 769
RE: The Hobbit - 10/8/2012 9:27:33 AM   
Overmind

Wondering how much is left of Guillermo del Toros ideas...?

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 770
RE: The Hobbit - 10/8/2012 10:01:26 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overmind

Wondering how much is left of Guillermo del Toros ideas...?

Concept art leaked out of one of the ideas for Smaug from GDT’s time on the project and God I hope they have continued down that road. This is definitely a cracking looking dragon!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/--DF9oAhgmRc/TlDwLOrb3QI/AAAAAAAABmg/7rs0WW0Ailc/s1600/6a00e550a3fc4c883400e551935cf68833-800wi.jpg

Amazing!

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 771
RE: The Hobbit - 10/8/2012 10:20:07 AM   
Overmind

I cant stop staring at him.
Just ... fantastic!.

I now know if PJ shows up with a classic, red, crockmouth wyvern. I am going to get very angry.

"All suspects are to be considered guilty, period. Or else they wouldn't be suspects would they?" -TROOPS

Post #: 772
The Hobbit - 10/8/2012 11:47:31 AM   
Alistair

That is a sensational dragon, and very different to what we've seen on screen before.

Let's face it, Smaug is the one thing that everyone is really looking forward to seeing in these films, and Jackson has to deliver something astonishing with it. That drawing is very exciting.

I remember being underwhelmed by the Balrog in Fellowship, though. At the time.

< Message edited by Alistair -- 10/8/2012 11:49:08 AM >

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift...that's why they call it the present.

(in reply to Overmind)
Post #: 773
RE: The Hobbit - 10/8/2012 1:39:56 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

That is a sensational dragon, and very different to what we've seen on screen before.

Let's face it, Smaug is the one thing that everyone is really looking forward to seeing in these films, and Jackson has to deliver something astonishing with it. That drawing is very exciting.

I remember being underwhelmed by the Balrog in Fellowship, though. At the time.

No two ways about it, this is Samug the magnificent at the end of the day and Jackson has to deliver the finest dragon ever committed to film. And I’m sure they know that, they have to absolutely nail him. And if they’ve continued along these lines, there is a good chance they will do just that. We've seen a million and one dragons and most follow the same, recognized principals but that is different. No long snout and his face looks crafty, aged and intelligent… all essential for Smaug.

That deign would be an absolute marvel to behold on screen with the wizards at Weta doing the FX on him.

Purists may be upset as he looks nothing like any of the old illustrations. But it would be a let down to just see yet another movie dragon here. He needs to be totally unique and stunning! One dragon to rule them all if you will… Christ, I can’t believe I wrote that

Hopefully, that design is pinned to a board at Weta somewhere, with a PJ Approved stamp on it.

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 10/8/2012 1:45:53 PM >

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 774
RE: The Hobbit - 10/8/2012 4:46:11 PM   
Ref

Although Benedict Cumberbatch is doing motion-capture for the facial movements - so I reckon that there's gonna be, probably to a minute scale, some sort of resemblance.

Post #: 775
RE: The Hobbit - 11/8/2012 11:51:22 AM   
Ref

A teeny, tiny interview with Barry Humphries:~

Click Me

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 776
RE: The Hobbit - 11/8/2012 2:18:44 PM   
rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair

Let's face it, Smaug is the one thing that everyone is really looking forward to seeing in these films

Yeah and now we gotta wait 3 years to see it

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Alistair)
Post #: 777
RE: The Hobbit - 12/8/2012 2:01:58 AM   
vad3r

Why is there so much dwarf 'comedy' in these clips? Why Peter? Why?

The downfall from LotR has been immense.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 12/8/2012 2:02:21 AM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 778
RE: The Hobbit - 12/8/2012 8:45:36 AM   
giggity

if you combine the trailer shown and the little snippets from the blogs you've seen about 2% of the movie so far and already you're saying it's inferior to LOTR? What a fucking moron.

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 779
RE: The Hobbit - 12/8/2012 12:46:59 PM   
Ref

quote:

Why is there so much dwarf 'comedy' in these clips? Why Peter? Why?

The downfall from LotR has been immense.

Of what I can remember, the comedy was actually in the book.

EDIT: Also Benedict Cumberbatch did an interview with The Telegraph, where he talks about filming The Hobbit:~

Minor Spoilers

< Message edited by Ref -- 12/8/2012 1:03:49 PM >

(in reply to vad3r)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI