Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 5:02:55 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Exactly, it's like Miramax saying we want to make a sequel to Pulp Fiction and Quentin Tarantino saying yeah I want to make a sequel too. Then Miramax saying fuck off Tarantino we want someone else to do it, when there is no one else that can do it.

The two examples are not at all similar. Tarantino created Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction is his story and film. Jackson did not create The Lord of the Rings nor The Hobbit.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 31
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 5:49:28 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

Exactly, it's like Miramax saying we want to make a sequel to Pulp Fiction and Quentin Tarantino saying yeah I want to make a sequel too. Then Miramax saying fuck off Tarantino we want someone else to do it, when there is no one else that can do it.

The two examples are not at all similar. Tarantino created Pulp Fiction. Pulp Fiction is his story and film. Jackson did not create The Lord of the Rings nor The Hobbit.

He created the film version of Lord of the rings. If someone else directed LOTR it would have been completley different. So as The Hobbit and the prequel are in the same universe with some of the same characters of LOTR, they should be directed by the same person.
Same if there was a film created in the Pulp Fiction universe, if anyone other than Tarantino made the film it wouldn't be the same and probally inferior.
remember what happened when Warner Bros. gave Joel Schumacher the reigns to Batman? This is what could happen with The Hobbit and the prequel.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 32
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 5:59:48 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

quote:

He created the film version of Lord of the rings.

Judging from the documentaries John Howe and Alan Lee created the vision of Jackson's LOTR. Anyone working from their designs could have done the same.

quote:

remember what happened when Warner Bros. gave Joel Schumacher the reigns to Batman?

Of course I do. It was only ten years ago.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 33
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 6:01:12 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

The Batman example is better than the Pulp Fiction one which is frankly rubbish.

However until we get New Lines version of the story were are in the dark.  If Jackson was making sense and not asking for too much this film would of been in pre-production by now. Something has made New Line baulk and with the potental costs to the studio it must be something major.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to BatFan)
Post #: 34
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 6:05:42 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Jettisoning PJ is a pretty cruel decision to fans who loved what he did with Tolkien's masterpiece. I really wonder if Jackson isn't directing then the whole film will not feel like Rings: the whole earthy atmosphere, the historically plausible design, the serious performances, Shore's operatic music etc.

Who knows, there were dark days during Rings' production too. Hopefully this is one crazy publicity stunt: but I'm not hopeful right now. Just maybe, hope will be kindled if another untested talent pops up who admires Jackson.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 35
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 7:13:31 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I think that is a very good point but it just seems odd to dump the guy that brought them so much success - they are so confident of the Hobbit making money off the back of LOTR's fanbase they feel they can jettison the genius who made it all happen. From an artistic point of view it looks like a mistake to me

Unless Jackson is being unrealistic and a little too divaish?   It is in New Lines interest to get Jackson onboard as he would help sales, so what is stopping them?  A few million in a law suit against at minimum of a few hundred million,  I can't see it. Plus Wingnuts pathetic releasing of this to the press all suggests that it is Jacksons camp that is playing silly buggers and New Line have had enough. There is a deadline and they can't fuck about forever.

Yeah it could be the timetable for when it all gets made - that is the only reason I could see for New Line getting rid of Jackson. Maybe he wasn't up for doing it anytime soon. I don't think it would be a question about cost - the amount of money LOTR has made is massive and they should have no problem bankrolling another Middle Earth blockbuster

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 36
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 7:22:17 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Whatever is going on with damn money, I don't like it. But PJ isn't lined up to direct anything after The Lovely Bones.

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 37
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 2:24:14 AM   
danbo1138

Judging from the documentaries John Howe and Alan Lee created the vision of Jackson's LOTR. Anyone working from their designs could have done the same

good point.......will the new director use them?i bloody hope so.but what of weta? are we to see ilm or another fx company take charge,and in doing so alter the look of the series? i sence a decidedly american take on the hobbit is about to happen,some exec will decide changes need to be made and the whole thing will be a knightmare.i would love to see a british director take charge,someone who can understand the british undercurrents in the book.i think thats what helped with jackson,the son of british parents(raized in new zealand)i would hate for someone whos vision of britan is tea and crumpets.dont get me wrong i love directors from all over the world,i just think this needs a british(or at least) closely related take on things.i can also see some actors refuseing to reprise their roles due to the lack of involement of jackson,im thinking specificly of SIR IAN mckellen.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 38
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 5:21:08 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

I want MGM to stun New Line Light of Earendil style and get PJ back. Right now a new director is not something I'll accept yet. I mean, Rings became Jackson's masterpiece: it's not like someone other than Coppola can make another Godfather.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 39
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 9:07:46 PM   
sagent33

why why why why ? ........ jackson made a great trilogy that consists of films that will be in peoples top films of all time lists for years and years to come!!! millions upon millions have been made from these films!!!why not pay him anything he likes(they  know they will get it back ten fold) and get him to do the bloody thing!!! ahh the mind of movie execs... smarter than all of us you know!!

LOL

Post #: 40
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 10:04:42 PM   
The Todge

I posted this in the other thread but heres a list of contacts and petitions to get goin with.

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1164129588

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to sagent33)
Post #: 41
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 10:06:37 PM   
LongLiveTheKong

Sucks so bad. I'm a massive fan of LOTR and PJ is great. Without him it won't quite be the same. But...

Any suggestions for a director that might actually do a fantastic job? I mean, to be frank, there are quite a few good directors out there, right? Of course, some may not be applicable, and some just wouldn't be suited to this sort of movie. But that still leaves us with a few good names.

I'll throw one out there for discussion: Gore Verbinski. I think he'd do an alright job with it, seeing as it's a much more lighthearted affair than LOTR. We also know he's okay with the dark stuff, too, as seen in The Ring and DMC. Plus, he's got an eye for great visuals, just like Jackson. Your thoughts?

< Message edited by LongLiveTheKong -- 21/11/2006 10:07:03 PM >

What've they got in there, King Kong?

(in reply to sagent33)
Post #: 42
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 10:32:20 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

But PJ isn't lined up to direct anything after The Lovely Bones.

He's developing the Temeraire series for film, so I think he will move onto that next. I think it would have been better for him to do a bunch of different films before returning to Middle Earth, when he's got the lust for it again.

Post #: 43
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 10:50:28 PM   
danbo1138

ok folks iv'e sent them an e-mail,let the fanboy power reign.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to LongLiveTheKong)
Post #: 44
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 11:34:10 PM   
The Todge

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

ok folks iv'e sent them an e-mail,let the fanboy power reign.

Another petition here:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/NLine/ 

THIS..............is God.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 45
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 11:40:35 PM   
danbo1138

DONE AND DUSTED

(in reply to The Todge)
Post #: 46
RE: The Hobbit - 21/11/2006 11:58:31 PM   
LongLiveTheKong

I can't boycott yet, I have to see Tenacious D!

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 47
RE: The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 12:11:52 AM   
danbo1138

im just letting them know in a polite manner that i would like to see jackson back nothing more......after all lucas did'nt direct empire strikes back and that rocks,im just playing it safe is all

Post #: 48
RE: The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 12:25:43 AM   
Million Dollar Bill

This is awful news  Even if someone else directs The Hobbit, and even if they produce a decent film, it won't feel right without that Jackson touch, the news that another film was going to be made makes this decision even worse, Jackson could have created an amazing series consisting of LotR, The Hobbit and this other prequel, now it all seems like a bit of a mess

To those who are siding with New Line, yes, the deserve a lot of credit for helping bring LotR to life, but don't fool yourselves, at some stage, another studio would have taken the plunge, if New Line decided not to make it, some other studio would have, maybe not then, but at some stage most definitely...

Jackson, however, well, no-one could have done what he did...

I can easily see McKellen boycotting this after these revelations...

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 49
RE: The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 12:26:22 AM   
LongLiveTheKong

Yeah, but Lucas was still involved with the writing of that and the film kept them same tone and style as it's predecessor. New Line don't want Jackson or Wingnut anywhere near The Hobbit, so the writing team and the effects team will be different (I can't see PJ allowing them to use WETA) and thus there will probably be a noticeable difference in tone and style.

< Message edited by LongLiveTheKong -- 22/11/2006 12:28:05 AM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 50
RE: The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 12:32:13 AM   
danbo1138

fair doos,my point was the story is in place and another director is taking over.if ilm takes the effect reings i see this as a real 'face off ' between ilm and weta...which could be good......but it will look different..not to botherd about a change in apperence in gollum though as i thought him to be to cutesy.with regards to the origonal cast members boycotting the film...yes i agree they will

Post #: 51
RE: The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 5:48:27 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

The fact of the matter is, Jackon's key touch with Rings was making it authentic and real: shooting in NZ for one, then the miniatures and handmade props. Someone else will bring a different style.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 52
RE: The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 9:08:32 PM   
Goody

Ian Mckellen has posted his thoughts

http://www.mckellen.com/epost/lotr/061122.htm

The LOTR fans are already expressing a sense of betrayal.  On my own account, I am very sad as I should have relished re-visiting Middle Earth with Peter again as team-leader.  It's hard to imagine any other director matching  his achievement in Tolkien country.  We will have to await developments but being an optimist I am hoping that New Line, MGM and Wingnut can settle outstanding problems so that the long expected "Hobbit" is filmed sooner rather than later.

< Message edited by Goody -- 22/11/2006 9:11:27 PM >

Post #: 53
RE: The Hobbit - 22/11/2006 9:10:05 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Well Ian's an optimist like me then.

(in reply to Goody)
Post #: 54
RE: The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 4:41:25 PM   
Goody

Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement. The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. You can read it here.It's in German, so here's a translation of his comments.

Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?

A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1164265935

< Message edited by Goody -- 23/11/2006 4:46:24 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 4:45:31 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Wahey! Hope is kindled.

[image]http://www.tk421.net/lotr/film/rotk/img/rotk0619.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.tk421.net/lotr/film/rotk/img/rotk0629.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.tk421.net/lotr/film/rotk/img/rotk0634.jpg[/image]

Yup, that's what I'm talking about.

(in reply to Goody)
Post #: 56
RE: The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 4:48:32 PM   
Goody

Seems like New Line want to get things done before they lose the rights. Jacksons legal case is costing time so they want to go forward with another director just to get the movie made before their rights are lost.

Post #: 57
RE: The Hobbit - 23/11/2006 4:49:06 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

No one will touch it!

(in reply to Goody)
Post #: 58
RE: The Hobbit - 24/11/2006 12:15:19 AM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goody

Saul Zaentz, the owner of Tolkien Enterprises, and ultimate holder of the film rights to The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings was very recently interviewed about the Hobbit and Peter Jackson's involvement. The interview has since been posted on German Rings site Elbenwald. You can read it here.It's in German, so here's a translation of his comments.

Q: What is with the long anticipated Hobbit-adaption?

A: It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1164265935

now that is interesting........new line are shitting it,

(in reply to Goody)
Post #: 59
RE: The Hobbit - 24/11/2006 8:50:06 PM   
Goody

Peter Jackson Will Direct The Hobbit?
Written by Robert Sanchez   
Friday, 24 November 2006

In what has become a high stakes game of poker, it looks like New Line may lose it's upper hand. So what are the odds that Peter Jackson will get the chance "To Go There and Back Again?" Saul Zaentz owner of  Tolkien Enterprises has also now gone on record supporting Peter Jackson as the director of The Hobbit.

It what might be a twist of fate it is possible that New Line Cinema will lose all rights to The Hobbit by next year. Saul is confident that Peter will be returning to Middle Earth that in a recent interview he said that "It will definitely be shot by Peter Jackson. The question is only when. He wants to shoot another movie first. Next year the Hobbit-rights will fall back to my company. I suppose that Peter will wait because he knows that he will make the best deal with us. And he is fed up with the studios: to get his profit share on the rings trilogy he had to sue New Line. With us in contrast he knows that he will be paid fairly and artistically supported without reservation."

This latest "Hollywood Drama" just shows how nasty things could get in this industry. What really surprises me is that this studio would so blatantly try to screw Peter and Fran over. Don't they get it? Peter and gang have done more for New Line/Time Warner then any other filmmaker ever has. Time Warner has never had a movie franchise that has been loved by the world over and has made it so much money. I give New Line/Time Warner no more than a month before it comes back to Peter with a public apology and settlement involving his law suit. Wouldn't surprise me if some exec over at New Line loses him job over this. Stey tuned to the IESB for the news from Middle Earth

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=755&Itemid=99

< Message edited by Goody -- 24/11/2006 8:51:19 PM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: The Hobbit Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI