Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Hobbit

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Hobbit Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Hobbit - 5/10/2005 9:57:44 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: - 4/11/2006 1:02:52 AM   
Moemar

of course i would love jackson to do it, but a few years ago wasnt most people saying LOTR was too big a project for him?? Jackson is the reason i am a director but i think him not helming the project would not be the end, there are plenty of talented unknowns who could give it a go, just like jackson was before LOTR
Post #: 2
RE: The Hobbit - 14/11/2006 9:56:22 PM   
Timon

According to MGM chairman Harry Sloane, the studio is in advanced talks with Peter Jackson to make two movies based on JRR Tolkien's "prequel" to "The Lord of the Rings."

The first would be a direct adaptation of The Hobbit, and the second would be drawn from "footnotes and source material connecting 'The Hobbit' with 'Lord of the Rings,'" he explained.

An MGM spokesman emphasized that negotiations with Jackson are still in progress, and that production isn't likely until 2008 or even 2009.

Two films eh? Interesting.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 3
RE: The Hobbit - 15/11/2006 4:38:35 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

The White Council subplot is something Jackson has expressed interest in before. Would Chris Lee return?

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: The Hobbit - 15/11/2006 11:24:29 PM   
Pinkvelvet

Hopefully this shoudl be worth waiting for.  Love the idea of two films.

(in reply to doctorolorinbats1975)
Post #: 5
RE: The Hobbit - 16/11/2006 2:30:45 PM   
kumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975

The White Council subplot is something Jackson has expressed interest in before. Would Chris Lee return?

he is well old now, hasnt he hit 90 yet? im sure he was about 82 at the time of FOTR. id be surprised, but it would be something

special!

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

Post #: 6
RE: The Hobbit - 16/11/2006 9:08:41 PM   
matthewforan

Is this film happening yet?

If so i think it'll be just as good as the LOTR. But it has to be Peter Jackson in charge no one else can do it.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 7
RE: The Hobbit - 17/11/2006 1:57:03 PM   
damn im good!

I'm pretty sure that in an interview after ROTK Jackson expressed an interest, but said there was no way in hell he would direct. So maybe see him scripting and producing. Although with Halo that side of his business is not going well.......Still, maybe one day. And to be honest, I can't get too excited about the "kids" version of LOTR being made. Yeah, enjoyed it as a kid, but the book isn't all that if you read it as an adult. Would I like to see it made? Yeah. Does it make me wet my pants? No.......

Don't fuck with the Jedi Master, son.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 8
RE: The Hobbit - 17/11/2006 4:20:49 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

The Hobbit would make a fine family film, and would have a few scares too. Can PJ top Shelob?

CG, stop motion, acting, animation, animatronics, whatever, it's 24 lies a second...

Critiquing words for dummies: Pretentious, overrated, sentimental, indulgent, populist.

(in reply to damn im good!)
Post #: 9
RE: The Hobbit - 17/11/2006 4:27:37 PM   
Joe Buck

The Hobbit...YAWN!

Y'all know me.

You gonna do some prayin' for me, boy and you better pray good.

This is this. This ain't something else. This is this.

Post #: 10
RE: The Hobbit - 17/11/2006 4:28:48 PM   
doctorolorinbats1975

Dude, it was Tolkien's first masterpiece to be published.

(in reply to Joe Buck)
Post #: 11
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 8:41:42 AM   
Timon

New Line has TURNED DOWN Peter Jackson! The fools!

Here is the statement that PJ has released

As you know, there's been a lot of speculation about The Hobbit. We are often asked about when or if this film will ever be made. We have always responded that we would be very interested in making the film - if it were offered to us to make.
You may also be aware that Wingnut Films has bought a lawsuit against New Line, which resulted from an audit we undertook on part of the income of The Fellowship of the Ring. Our attitude with the lawsuit has always been that since it's largely based on differences of opinion about certain accounting practices, we would like an independent body - whether it be a judge, a jury, or a mediator, to look at the issues and make an unbiased ruling. We are happy to accept whatever that ruling is. In our minds, it's not much more complex than that and that's exactly why film contracts include right-to-audit clauses.
However, we have always said that we do not want to discuss The Hobbit with New Line until the lawsuit over New Line's accounting practices is resolved. This is simple common sense - you cannot be in a relationship with a film studio, making a complex, expensive movie and dealing with all the pressures and responsibilities that come with the job, while an unresolved lawsuit exists.
We have also said that we do not want to tie settlement of the lawsuit to making a film of The Hobbit. In other words, we would have to agree to make The Hobbit as a condition of New Line settling our lawsuit. In our minds this is not the right reason to make a film and if a film of The Hobbit went ahead on this basis, it would be doomed. Deciding to make a movie should come from the heart - it's not a matter of business convenience. When you agree to make a film, you're taking on a massive commitment and you need to be driven by an absolute passion to want to get the story on screen. It's that passion, and passion alone, that gives the movie its imagination and heart. To us it is not a cold-blooded business decision.
A couple of months ago there was a flurry of Hobbit news in the media. MGM, who own a portion of the film rights in The Hobbit, publicly stated they wanted to make the film with us. It was a little weird at the time because nobody from New Line had ever spoken to us about making a film of The Hobbit and the media had some fun with that. Within a week or two of those stories, our Manager Ken Kamins got a call from the co-president of New Line Cinema, Michael Lynne, who in essence told Ken that the way to settle the lawsuit was to get a commitment from us to make the Hobbit, because "that's how these things are done". Michael Lynne said we would stand to make much more money if we tied the lawsuit and the movie deal together and this may well be true, but it's still the worst reason in the world to agree to make a film.
Several years ago, Mark Ordesky told us that New Line have rights to make not just The Hobbit but a second "LOTR prequel", covering the events leading up to those depicted in LOTR. Since then, we've always assumed that we would be asked to make The Hobbit and possibly this second film, back to back, as we did the original movies. We assumed that our lawsuit with the studio would come to a natural conclusion and we would then be free to discuss our ideas with the studio, get excited and jump on board. We've assumed that we would possibly get started on development and design next year, whilst filming The Lovely Bones. We even had a meeting planned with MGM executives to talk through our schedule.
However last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on the Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel'. This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects.
Ordesky said that New Line has a limited time option on the film rights they have obtained from Saul Zaentz (this has never been conveyed to us before), and because we won't discuss making the movies until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director.
Given that New Line are committed to this course of action, we felt at the very least, we owed you, the fans, a straightforward account of events as they have unfolded for us.
We have always had the greatest support from The Ringers and we are very sorry our involvement with The Hobbit has been ended in this way. Our journey into Tolkien's world started with a phone call from Ken Kamins to Harvey Weinstein in Nov 1995 and ended with a phone call from Mark Ordesky to Ken in Nov 2006. It has been a great 11 years.
This outcome is not what we anticipated or wanted, but neither do we see any positive value in bitterness and rancor. We now have no choice but to let the idea of a film of The Hobbit go and move forward with other projects.
We send our very best wishes to whomever has the privilege of making The Hobbit and look forward to seeing the film on the big screen.
Warmest regards to you all, and thanks for your incredible support over the years.
We got to go there - but not back again ...

Oh dear.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 12
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 9:36:54 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'll let the following smiley express my feelings.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 10:15:18 AM   
oddzag

those smilies don't come half way to the frustration i'm feeling right now.

< Message edited by oddzag -- 20/11/2006 10:16:04 AM >

Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 14
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 11:00:34 AM   
...marcus...

Shitfuck bollocks and arseholes.

Like my loafers?
Former gophers.
It was that or skin my chauffeurs.

Won't someone please
remove these
cutleries
from ma knees

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 15
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 12:44:36 PM   
BatFan

New Line are Wankers, plain and simple.

I was unsure about the second prequel even when people thought PJ was going to direct but now he's left, I fear that The Hobbit and the prequel will be crap.
Let's start the ball rolling on what hack director they are going to get to film this now.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 12:52:36 PM   
danbo1138

not good not good at all,new line are fuking nuts

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 17
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 1:00:18 PM   
katbirdnz

Worst bloody film news I have ever heard. A fucking travesty. New Line = total and utter c*nts. If Peter doesn't do the Hobbit it will suck balls. And the idea of doing a prequel film not based on the books is a crime against cinema and literature which should be punishable by death.

And if they are not made in New Zealand but in Bulgaria or some other cheap shitey place...*explodes with rage*

'This isn't life! Its just...stuff!'

'At last, we can retire and give up this life of crime'

Member of COBW

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 18
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 1:06:23 PM   
danbo1138

but whos gonna do it,and will ILM do the effects??will it have the same look?will ian holm play bilbo will sir ian again play gandalf...........can of worms

< Message edited by danbo1138 -- 20/11/2006 1:07:26 PM >

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to katbirdnz)
Post #: 19
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 1:09:03 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

but whos gonna do it,and will ILM do the effects??will it have the same look?will ian holm play bilbo

To be honest, even with Jackson doing it (or not, as the case seems now), Ian Holm is far too old to play Bilbo now; I thought it was really stretching it in the flashback sequence in the Fellowship Of The Ring.

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 20
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 1:42:01 PM   
damn im good!

Worst .............fucking.............news..................ever.................BOLLOX.

What a bunch of corporate thieving suit wearing cunts. Fuck New Line. Last time I ever watch a film they've been involved in (that last bit may not be strictly true, but it'll be at least a day or so.......).

Don't fuck with the Jedi Master, son.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 21
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 1:56:48 PM   
liviclyde

Stupid motherfuckers!!!!!!! PJ was the only man for the job.  New Line can get to fuck now!

Singing to an ocean, I can hear the oceans roar Play for free , play for me and play a whole lot more Singing of the good things and the sun that lights the day Singing to the ocean, has the ocean lost its way. (Bohnam/Jones/Page/Plant)

(in reply to damn im good!)
Post #: 22
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 2:27:03 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Fucking hell New Line turned down Jackson after all the money he has made?? Have their normally cash minded studio brains dropped out of their heads? - with the experience Jackson gained (and the team he put together) bringing Middle Earth to life, it was an absolute no brainer giving him the Hobbit regardless of any accounting wrangles.

Plus I fucking LOVE the idea of a prequel - you know for a fact that film-maker like Peter Jackson would put his heart and soul into making it top top quality. What a sad loss - I just cannot see in any way shape or form another director doing a better job on this than PJ

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 2:28:16 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

but whos gonna do it,and will ILM do the effects??will it have the same look?will ian holm play bilbo

To be honest, even with Jackson doing it (or not, as the case seems now), Ian Holm is far too old to play Bilbo now; I thought it was really stretching it in the flashback sequence in the Fellowship Of The Ring.

Isn't there a new technique whereby actors can have their charicters deaged via CG. I thought they tried it out in Xmen 3, if so this could work well.

quote:

Stupid motherfuckers!!!!!!! PJ was the only man for the job.  New Line can get to fuck now!

I have posted this elsewhere but reading this incredibly simplistic reply I have the need to copy it here.

I think New Line are getting a real bad rap here and it is all totally unfair. Making Lord of the Rings was a massive project and New Line took the risk when no one else was interested. They were the only ones who stood to lose anything.  Fellowship alone cost 93 Million which is a massive budget for a fantasy film and they had already committed to 160 Million minimum for the other two which I believe was increased. That's a massive commitment from the studio of over 250 Million for a unpopular genre with an unproven director, with a film that had already been passed on by a major studio.
I think you "fan boys and fan girls" should give another thought as to who were the major factor in making LOTR the films that you love. Sure include Jackson, Walsh etc but nothing would of happened without New Line allowing Jackson to make Fellowship with the freedom that they did, especially while bankrolling the project as well.

New Line would have in all likelyhood gone under if LOTR hasn't of worked out. So I think a little bit a graditude is owed to them in regards to these films.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 20/11/2006 2:31:01 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 24
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 2:38:03 PM   
matthewforan

This news is just typical of studios not caring what happens as long as they get money back. The only man to do the Hobbit is PJ, no one else will be able to make the film he can. If he was a head of it you know it would be great. I am a bit surprised though because New Line have always been in the same bracket as Miramax they usually just want to make good movies, to virgin directors Tarantino and Fincher they key examples. Hopefully they will see this as a mistake and give PJ the job he wants.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 25
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 2:48:14 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

n
quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

This news is just typical of studios not caring what happens as long as they get money back.

Did you read what I have just posted. New Line would of been out of business if Fellowship of the Ring had bombed.  They cared so much they risked everything for the project. Why does everyone seem to support Jackson on this?

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 26
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 2:56:09 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

I think New Line are getting a real bad rap here and it is all totally unfair. Making Lord of the Rings was a massive project and New Line took the risk when no one else was interested. They were the only ones who stood to lose anything.  Fellowship alone cost 93 Million which is a massive budget for a fantasy film and they had already committed to 160 Million minimum for the other two which I believe was increased. That's a massive commitment from the studio of over 250 Million for a unpopular genre with an unproven director, with a film that had already been passed on by a major studio.
I think you "fan boys and fan girls" should give another thought as to who were the major factor in making LOTR the films that you love. Sure include Jackson, Walsh etc but nothing would of happened without New Line allowing Jackson to make Fellowship with the freedom that they did, especially while bankrolling the project as well.

New Line would have in all likelyhood gone under if LOTR hasn't of worked out. So I think a little bit a graditude is owed to them in regards to these films.

I think that is a very good point but it just seems odd to dump the guy that brought them so much success - they are so confident of the Hobbit making money off the back of LOTR's fanbase they feel they can jettison the genius who made it all happen. From an artistic point of view it looks like a mistake to me

Post #: 27
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 3:26:10 PM   
BatFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

I think that is a very good point but it just seems odd to dump the guy that brought them so much success - they are so confident of the Hobbit making money off the back of LOTR's fanbase they feel they can jettison the genius who made it all happen. From an artistic point of view it looks like a mistake to me

Exactly, it's like Miramax saying we want to make a sequel to Pulp Fiction and Quentin Tarantino saying yeah I want to make a sequel too. Then Miramax saying fuck off Tarantino we want someone else to do it, when there is no one else that can do it.
Flatulent bob is right in the sense that New Line took a big gamble making the Lord of The Rings films. But that gamble paid off because of Jackson. He made for them 3 of the greatest films of all time (more importantly for the studios, the second highest grossing film of all time with ROTK) You think that New Line would treat him with some respect.
What I get from the letter, is that Jacksonn just wanted an outside party to make an unbiased ruling, either in favour of New line or Jackson. It didn't matter who won just that he got an unbiased view to look at it. And New Line didn't want to do that (which probally means they are in the wrong  and they have something to hide).
I don't really think New Line give a shit what the fans think because people are going to see it regardless of whether it has PJ or not. Joe Public will go see it because he thinks 'oh LOTR was good and this is a prequel so this must be good' and the Rings fans will see it just to see if the new director has shit all over their favourite films.

so I have 2 questions:
1. Can anyone name a director that they think can make the film as good as Jackson.
2.Does anyone think that New Line may give in and have someone look through their books. And then ask PJ back to direct. Or are we doomed to have a Jackson - less Hobbit and prequel?

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 28
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 3:30:25 PM   
liviclyde

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Isn't there a new technique whereby actors can have their charicters deaged via CG. I thought they tried it out in Xmen 3, if so this could work well.

quote:

I have posted this elsewhere but reading this incredibly simplistic reply I have the need to copy it here.

I get your point. They did take the risk but it paid off because of PJ and his team's vision.

If someone else comes in with the same passion and are allowed to put their soul into it like PJ did then it might work but I can't see it myself sorry.

< Message edited by liviclyde -- 20/11/2006 3:32:58 PM >

Singing to an ocean, I can hear the oceans roar Play for free , play for me and play a whole lot more Singing of the good things and the sun that lights the day Singing to the ocean, has the ocean lost its way. (Bohnam/Jones/Page/Plant)

Post #: 29
RE: The Hobbit - 20/11/2006 4:55:40 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Unless Jackson is being unrealistic and a little too divaish?   It is in New Lines interest to get Jackson onboard as he would help sales, so what is stopping them?  A few million in a law suit against at minimum of a few hundred million,  I can't see it. Plus Wingnuts pathetic releasing of this to the press all suggests that it is Jacksons camp that is playing silly buggers and New Line have had enough. There is a deadline and they can't fuck about forever.

quote:

ORIGINAL: liviclyde

I get your point. They did take the risk but it paid off because of PJ and his team's vision.

If someone else comes in with the same passion and are allowed to put their soul into it like PJ did then it might work but I can't see it myself sorry.

No it paid off because New Line stumped up the cash. Without New Line there would be nothing certainly not the LOTR you all love because no other studio would finance it the way they did. So it paid of because of NEW LINE and PJ if you drop either from this equation the films wouldn't of been the same.

quote:

You think that New Line would treat him with some respect.

Sorry I thought it was New Line who took a nobody director and catapulted him into the stratosphere by bankrolling LOTR. I think you are right about respect but in this case it should be a twoway street.  I think Jackson thinks the way you do and believes New Line owe him, they don't owe him jack.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 20/11/2006 5:05:48 PM >

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Hobbit Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI