Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Anther winner

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Anther winner Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Anther winner - 9/9/2008 4:27:58 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

Well Guy Ritchie's back isn't he?

That was top class from one of the best British directors of all time. I don't really care that all his films are in the same vein, stick to what you're good at. The cast were outstanding once again, especially Tom Wilkinson as underground boss Lenny Cole. The storyline was fairly predictable at points but the humour of Ritchie is what is really inspiring and his ability to create some of the funniest and touching characters in cinema history. Also he did it without his usual Lock Stock/Snatch cast. But I have to point out one thing, move lookalike or what...

Archie and Dimitar Berbatov?

Looks like a sequel is in the works after the ending and I for one am thoroughly looking forward to that.

michael powell
john schlesinger
david lean
lindsay anderson
ridley scott
alfred hitchcock
neil jordan
danny boyle
mike leigh
guy ritchie

spot the odd one out.

Neil Jordan?

i guess that may be a bit odd considering the sum of his body of work, but whenever i think of great british cinema i automatically think of the crying game and mona lisa.

ive just realised that neil jordan is actually from the republic, which would make him the odd one out! doh!

There you go.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 61
RE: Anther winner - 9/9/2008 11:11:38 PM   
Goodfella

Pffft! Well I loved it you miserable bastards!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 62
- 10/9/2008 12:19:00 PM   
quizkid

rocknrolla isnt quite the return to formof the snatch days but as a lightweight caper movie it willdo it has none of the smugness than can taint the oceans movies. good perfs by tom wilkinson thandie newton is cooly sexy gerard butler if toby keebels character was meant to be a irritating twat he suceeded i cheered inwardly when he got shot unfortunately he survived and they wan to base the film around him next time! count me out of that one forget to mention mark strong also good 3 stars

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 63
RE: - 10/9/2008 4:23:49 PM   
benmharper

I was really looking forward to this after reading some reviews and enjoying lock, stock and Snatch but other than ome decent dialogue that made me snigger a few times, the odd decent scene, i found it a bit dull. Some of the actors involved were barely did anything but Johnny Quid and Berbatov (Archie) were pretty good.
2/5

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to quizkid)
Post #: 64
RE: RE: - 11/9/2008 3:51:18 PM   
Gazdance

Not really very good.  The subtitled dancing scene between Butler and Newton was great because of its intentional awfulness and the subplot involving Butler and the gay one was amusing but aside from that the rest of the film was just dull.  Not worth seeing at the cinema but a random rental in six months time maybe.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 65
- 11/9/2008 7:14:57 PM   
Patrick Evans

Im gonna be back for the 'Real RocknRolla' too. Haha great fun!

Post #: 66
RE: - 12/9/2008 8:19:29 AM   
Timon

I was disappointed. There's a good film in there but Richie has over-egged his film again with serveral superfluous plot lines. If everything apart from Johnny Quid, the Wild Bunch and Tom Wilkinson had been cut, you'd have a much tighter, entertaining albeit predicable film.

The whole, the big Kingpin is the rat thing, we'd seen that in Layer Cake so it didn't really come as a surprise especially seeing as Mark Strong, Gerard Butler and co seemed to be subbing for Colm Meaney and Daniel Craig. Hell, Tom Hardy was almost the same character.

Ditch Thandie, all the stuff with the Russians that never really went anywhere and, as much as I love them, Piven and Ludacris.

It went on for too long but it was saved by the likes of Mark Strong (who really should be in more things), Butler, Kebbel (interested in how he'll do in Prince of Persia) and the rest of the Wild Bunch.

3/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Patrick Evans)
Post #: 67
RE: RocknRolla - 12/9/2008 10:00:49 AM   
demoncleaner

Let's face it.  You're probably a wanker if you thought the title was snazzy.  Similarly - and there's sufficient evidence for this - if you liked the film then…well, you probably deserve it.

When Guy Ritchie alumni Matthew Vaughan was set to release his directorial debut feature there was a definite air of condescension about it all, an aww bless reaction at his naïve temerity to go it alone.  It turns out Vaughan's only lowly ambition for the excellent Layer Cake was to attempt some sense of plot satisfaction with a caper-esque thriller.  While that attitude paid dividends its been a steeper learning curve for the mentor as post-Snatch Ritchie has learned that he can't do intelligent and he can't do sincere.  So here we all are, back at the ball-less whimsy of his meal ticket, his own self-made genre that sees him re-inventing Ealing comedy for chavs.

RocknRolla wouldn't be a bad night out if it maintained some semblance of the fun and charm of Ritchie's first two outings.  But it's a twat of a film.  Full of the same gittish humour that would have earned you a kicking in the schoolyard at aged 12.  ("Don't 'it me Arch!  I'm only lit-tle” got the biggest laugh of the evening -  this is the 21st fucking century!)

The Guy Ritchie formula for "humour” is all too apparent. 

1)      Take one supposedly "sharp as a tack” operator,
2)      Add moron sycophant,
3)      Indulge some sarcasm in direction of said moron (don't think too hard on this – unsophisticated will do fine, this isn't Woody Allen after all).  
4)      Sprinkle liberally with some dodgy patois – (nothing too fresh - the hackneyed the better).
5)      If this is going well try some corny cockneyisms that even EastEnders would blush at (don't worry, people will think you're being post-modern*).
Yes, this film shares all the affinity with the classic British gangster film as a Beano serial.  There's a gay subplot and a macguffin with a painting, but only because macguffins, (presumably like "gays”) are fashionable – pass me my lucky sick-bag.  It's a pity Archie didn't take his trademark slap behind the scenes.

I went to see this because of Toby Kebbell and I think its safe to say he acts the rest of the cast off the screen (not too difficult amid a post-Grange Hill milieu). Despite being lumbered by the script with a pretentious streak you're still beguiled by his eloquence of delivery.  This is a trait more evident in a seasoned theatre actor who's gifted at disguising the bollocks he often has to come out with and Kebbell makes an admirable fist of this.   If there's was any justice in the world Ritchie's 5th film would go down as the first and last bad film Toby Kebbell was ever in…but we've still got The Real Rocknrolla to look forward to apparently.

Of the other actors even the dependable Tom Wilkinson is having a Falcone hangover.  Mark Strong does well proving that in a Guy Ritchie film there's a certain integrity in simply looking bored – in sympathy pains with the audience. By the looks of it Gerard Butler didn't wash his face for the entire shoot, while Idris Elba, still abseiling from the stature of Stringer Bell makes the "mumbles” epithet all too appropriate.

Verdict:  RocknRolla, it's the sort of film Robbie Williams would like.

2/5

*Ummm "post-modern” that's a good word – note to self – in future film must have villain pontificate on definition of post-modernism, preferably as a pre-amble to torture scene.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 12/9/2008 10:08:27 AM >

Post #: 68
Spot on review from Empire - 12/9/2008 1:24:35 PM   
bretty

A very enjoyable film and the Empire review is spot on!

Post #: 69
Rocknrolla - 13/9/2008 7:12:29 PM   
Blue Ryan

A slow first half is compensated by a very good second. Definatly one of the slickest films of the year like the rest of guy richie's. I will go and see the real rocknrolla

Post #: 70
RE: Rocknrolla - 17/9/2008 11:26:49 AM   
Groovy Mule

I agonised long and hard about the rating for this film and I am still not sure that I have got it right to satsify even myself.  My main issues with this film are the latent and rather casual xenophobia, rascism and homophobia that pervade the film and the fact that it feels out of date - if you are going to make your references and influences so blatant (Abramovich and the "Russian invasion", the housing boom, Pete Doherty, Ken's cronies, numerous nods to Pulp Fiction etc), you have to prepare for the zeitgeist to have shifted by the time your film comes out and I suspect that this is a film which will not age well.  There is also some teeth-itchingly cringeworthy dialogue, particularly one odiously pretentious monologue which Kebbell is forced to deliver. 

Despite the film's faults, I actually rather enjoyed it and Ritchie does give the film some nice stylish visual moments, particularly Butler's chase through the railway sidings and there are some charasmatic performances, particularly from Toby Kebbell and Mark Strong.

8/10 (but that may change)

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Blue Ryan)
Post #: 71
RE: Rocknrolla - 18/9/2008 11:56:33 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

thandie newton would get it....

slow first half, even with the zippy editing

second half made up for it though.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Groovy Mule)
Post #: 72
Rocknrolla rocks - 25/9/2008 8:54:53 AM   
trueborndjross

Definitely Ritchie's best film since Snatch. If you liked that and Lock, Stock then you're bound to like this as well. Ritchie returns to the familiar crime caper from those films but overall it feels a bit more stylish and not so light hearted (although there are some genuinely funny moments). Butler is excellent as 1-2 and Newton is a sexy as ever (but unforgiveably forgotten about come the end credits). I agree with Empire's view about the stolen painting - just seemed to be a distraction from the main storyline and the ending could have been a bit better. Good return to form for Ritchie though.

Post #: 73
Lock, Stock and RocknRoll! - 27/9/2008 12:36:29 AM   
dgribble

Just came from the cinema after seeing it with my dad. When I asked what he thought, he simply said that " Its what you expect from him (Guy Ritchie) ." Which I assume meant he thought it was Ok, not a bad movie, not a landmark, but what about me? Having only seen Snatch and Lock Stock, I had not been exposed to Guy Ritchie's less than postive movies (Swept Away, Revolver), so I wasn't exactly blown away either, however I was not let down as well. If you've seen Ritchie's first two movies then expect same kind of film, different story, different characters, same humour, same twists, same enjoyment. Its worth watching, but if you miss it at the cinema, no big loss, but worth seeing for nice night in.

Post #: 74
cocktumbolla - 27/9/2008 12:19:49 PM   
elvoys

cmon empire. plaese roll forward april 1st when this can be added to the list of 4 star efforts that you have been utterly taking the piss with past year (ie black sheep pineapple express, wanted to name a few) kermode is kind to this cack. oh, and it is very rare that a film makes you want to kick the screen but that twat in this who acts hard (jonny quid) has amazingly become the most annoying prick in movie history. the frank spencer routine is one of those that when read any actor with self respect would walk off the set. layer cake at least had some restraint but ritchie is a total hack no doubt

Post #: 75
Eh? - 7/10/2008 4:26:51 PM   
sandiemay

I am completely baffled by this Empire review. Four stars is undeservedly generous. The film was terrible: overly self-aware; unoriginal; convoluted; poorly cast; and dull in parts. Tom Wilkinson, whom I love in so many things, was really dry here. His character's relationship with Archy feels very forced and unnatural. I concur, the scene with the invincible Russians is silly, but amusing and stylishly done. The rest of the film really drags, and the end ultimately unsatisfying. The idea of a sequel is too painful to bear. I feel a film like this cheapens the director's earlier good work on Lock Stock and Snatch.

Post #: 76
Is the review for real?? - 10/10/2008 5:50:08 PM   
TheGodfather

I`m shocked to see Empire giving this piece of shite 4 stars. I saw it yesterday.

Guy Ritchie gives in his newest film in just over 90 minutes a crash course "how do I screw up a potentially good script and a great cast?" Because man oh man what a mess this was. I had hoped for a new Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels but that hope was already killed after about 30 minutes.
There really isn`t too much good about it: one-dimensional characters, terrible sense of humor. And especially the script is the worst thing that could ever happen to this film (or at least to the starting point of the story). Too many times the actual story gets sidetracked, things that really don`t fit into the film and could`ve easily been left out.Something that would`ve given the pace of the movie and the lame humor a boost.
Now it`s too stretched out as a whole and where you wait in vain for the next scene to see if that might be funny.
I don`t know what`s the cause but for now it doesn`t like Ritchie will be making another Snatch or Lock,Stock anytime soon.
A missed opportunity for sure

4,5/10

Post #: 77
Dont worry he cant defend himself..he's got no head - 16/11/2008 1:54:03 PM   
Louise123

I think some ppl have taken this film far too seriously! It was brilliant and thats coming from a girl!! Just sit back and relax and let ritchie take you along for the ride!

Post #: 78
- 2/2/2009 3:52:31 PM   
Juan Calot

One of the worst films I have ever seen. I'll give it 1/100 and I'm being generous with that rating

Post #: 79
- 2/2/2009 3:52:32 PM   
Juan Calot

One of the worst films I have ever seen. I'll give it 1/100 and I'm being generous with that rating

Post #: 80
SCREW U HATERS THIS FILM ROCKS ! - 5/2/2009 1:28:15 PM   
jerkyjudas

yeh it has a few unanswered questions towards the end but fuck it i was glued to this film the whole way through. i was surprised at just how much better it was than revolver. i really like this movie it was like lock stock and snatch but had more of a serious layer cake feel to it. highly recommended !

Post #: 81
Pretty poor - 17/3/2009 8:53:17 PM   
naveed

Was it me or did the Tom Wilkinson being a "rat" squarely lifted from The Departed, I agree with Empire that the painting gag is pinched from Pulp Fiction (briefcase!!) and the bit when One-Two is tied up and gagged and Archie come to his rescue, remenber Ving Rhames & Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction. LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR THAT GUY RITCHIE IS NO QUENTIN TARANTINO AND CERTAINLY NOT MARTIN SCORSESE...NOT EVEN IN HIS DREAMS.

Post #: 82
'ABANDON SHIP!' It Rocks! - 19/3/2009 11:17:38 AM   
!xHoTRoDx!

Naveed, TheGodfather, Juan, elvoys...GO FUCK YOURSELVES! This is a perfectly good, entertaining, funny, stylistic movie and EMPIRE's dead on the money...even wankers like you should know that!

Post #: 83
A Bit Too Pleased With Itself, but Fun - 17/7/2009 12:45:27 PM   
JoKeRJaMeZ

Guy Ritchie shows that he isn't out there to make Hitchcock or Bergman classics, purely out there to enjoy himself and entertain audiences. A great rocknroll ride - its got jokes, action, thrills, characters... loved it.

Post #: 84
Rocknrolla - 29/3/2010 10:46:20 PM   
lynnshep

Great, funny gangster film. Well done. Great ending. Gambon, Strong, and Butler are great.

Post #: 85
There's no school like the old school and I'm the fucki... - 31/3/2010 10:30:33 PM   
Andybee76

If you go into a Guy Ritchie film expecting the Godfather you'll leave dissapointed, if you sit back and enjoy it for all it's cartoon cockneys and cartoon violence then you'll thoroughly enjoy it!! I think this review is bang on the button and I loved this film!! It has as many great quotes as Snatch or Lock Stock!! So if you don't like this you need to get slapped or sent to school!!!

Post #: 86
PURE AWESOME!!!!!!! - 19/4/2010 8:31:11 AM   

THIS IS A WORK OF ART AS WELL AS ENTERTAINMENT!!!!!!! BETTER THAN LOCK STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WATCH IT!!!!!

Post #: 87
!xHoTRoDx! - 16/7/2010 10:17:06 PM   
naveed

what are u stupid or something only wankers like you would like movies like this.

Post #: 88
Crap - 26/9/2010 4:27:17 PM   
Spacegoat

Really, really crap. Full of annoying characters and moronic dialogue which is supposed to be witty but fails miserably. Just thinking about it makes me want to hunt down Guy Ritchie and deliver an unmerciful boot to his nads.

Post #: 89
Blah - 28/12/2011 4:25:14 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Entertaining in some areas, horrendous in others. Not one of Ritchie's better efforts.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Anther winner Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI