Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:08:48 AM   
matthewforan

In Spain no way, remember this is a country that just won the Euros I know a few of their players play in England as well as other European countries but most of their first teamers come from Spain to say they'd finish top 5 in La Liga is very steep.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 61
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:12:21 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

I think the supposed quality in depth of the Spanish and Italian leagues compared with the EPL is a myth. Both have 2-3 very good sides with the rest being much of a muchness with maybe one excellent side each. I would say the EPL has 4 excellent sides which can match the best from Italy or Spain while having just as much quality going down through the leagues.
Its just a common slur to hit the EPL with as our teams don't take the UEFA cup seriously.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 62
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:20:26 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

In Spain no way, remember this is a country that just won the Euros I know a few of their players play in England as well as other European countries but most of their first teamers come from Spain to say they'd finish top 5 in La Liga is very steep.

True but Liverpool had more members of the Spanish Euro winning squad (four) than Real did (two) so just because they won the Euro's doesn't automatically mean all their club sides are that much better than ours - look what happened last night at Anfield.

Post #: 63
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:22:29 AM   
matthewforan

The thing is Bob is Spain everyone can beat everyone just two weeks ago the top team got beaten by the bottom team, stuff like that happens every season in La Liga you don't see it so much in the EPL. The EPL is good don't get me wrong but the Spanish league is far superior, I love watching La Liga no matter who plays I really don't feel the same about England.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 64
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:25:07 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

True but Liverpool had more members of the Spanish Euro winning squad (four) than Real did (two) so just because they won the Euro's doesn't automatically mean all their club sides are that much better than ours - look what happened last night at Anfield.

I thought we were talking about Villa? If it was Liverpool or Man U then yes I believe they would challenge for the title.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 65
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:32:16 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

I thought we were talking about Villa? If it was Liverpool or Man U then yes I believe they would challenge for the title.

I was talking about the Spain Euro squad - it's clearly strong but it doesn't automatically mean their league is the strongest overall. Look at Italy's league for example. Despite being World Cup winners they could well have no CL quarterfinalists for the second year in a row by the end of today.

I don't think Villa would win the league but I think they'd be capable of placing highly in either Italy or Spain

Post #: 66
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:37:15 AM   
matthewforan

How many of the Liverpool players were first team players apart from Torres? I did say that I believe Villa would finish in about 10th in Spain is that not high enough? And I think I said 7th in Italy both guesses I feel are pretty accurate.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 67
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:44:21 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

How many of the Liverpool players were first team players apart from Torres? I did say that I believe Villa would finish in about 10th in Spain is that not high enough? And I think I said 7th in Italy both guesses I feel are pretty accurate.

Yeah true but we are talking about the squad here. I think you rate the Spanish league too highly - there's only two of them left in the CL and only one of them can compete with our top four.

Post #: 68
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:48:59 AM   
matthewforan

I don't think the performance in the Champions League has anything to do with the standard of the league nothing what so ever. You just have to look at the positions of the top four in the EPL and the top four in La Liga.

I doubt either of us are going to be changing our position on this subject personally I wanted Liverpool to win last night and it was superb to watch it but I don't think that a 4th/5th place team in England would be pushing for the Spanish or Italian title.

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 69
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:52:45 AM   
CORLEONE

The current Real Madrid side wouldn't finish in the top 4 in England. Worst Madrid team I've seen for a couple of decades.

Only Casillas, Ramos and Sneider looked interested. Raul, legend that he is, is finished.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 70
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:55:30 AM   
matthewforan

To be fair the game was long over by the time the tie reached half time last night, that wee left back Marcelo looked pretty handy when he came on

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 71
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 12:51:18 PM   
HIM

quote:

The thing is Bob is Spain everyone can beat everyone just two weeks ago the top team got beaten by the bottom team, stuff like that happens every season in La Liga you don't see it so much in the EPL. The EPL is good don't get me wrong but the Spanish league is far superior, I love watching La Liga no matter who plays I really don't feel the same about England.

Liverpool have been beaten twice this season in the league, both times to clubs in the bottom three.

Post #: 72
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 1:07:17 PM   
matthewforan

I think that says more about Rafa and Liverpool more than anything else don't you?

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 73
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 10:44:36 PM   
Mr Grady

4 English teams through and no Italians.

That's gonna piss Platini off.

Hahahah.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

Post #: 74
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:08:19 PM   
Donnie Murdo

Is a Man Utd v Barca final possible? That's one I'd like to see.

Nice to see everyone getting pissed off at Platini because of what they think he'll be thinking!

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 75
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:10:48 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Donnie Murdo

The draw for the QF's is random. Anyone can get anyone.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 76
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:34:52 PM   
Frank Castle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

id love to believe that but 2 english clubs will be draw together (hopefully chelsea/liverpool again) its pretty much certain. If platini had his way then it would be all of them together.

" guys its ok, he just wanted his machette back"!!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 77
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:36:54 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

quote:

quote:

id love to believe that but 2 english clubs will be draw together (hopefully chelsea/liverpool again) its pretty much certain. If platini had his way then it would be all of them together.

Surely as there are 4 english teams in 4 matches, it statistically stands to reason that two English teams are drawn together? The likelyhood of them being drawn apart is statistically very small when you think about it.

And JESUS I hope they aren't apart in the QF's, the prospect of an all-English Semi-Finals is utterly boring. I watch the Champions League to see the best sides in Europe go head to head. Not a bunch of Prem matches!

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 11/3/2009 11:50:44 PM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to Frank Castle)
Post #: 78
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:58:51 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

And JESUS I hope they aren't apart in the QF's, the prospect of an all-English Semi-Finals is utterly boring. I watch the Champions League to see the best sides in Europe go head to head. Not a bunch of Prem matches!

The best sides in Europe are in the Prem though. Barca are the only ones who can stop the English. I hope LIverpool get Barca. The Scousers'll paste 'em

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 79
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:59:49 PM   
Rhubarb

Can't really see any of the English sides beating Barca, save for perhaps Man United.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 80
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 1:10:59 AM   
Boring Prophet

Holy crap, could you imagine an all-English semi-final? Platini would probably have the Champions League discontinued.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 81
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 8:34:03 AM   
Professor Moriarty

The odd thing about the Champions League is that up to the QF stage it really is designed to find the best league as well as the best team. I think its a bit old hat now that teams from the same country can't draw each other before the QF round. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me.

Still let's all remember that a couple of years ago 3/4 of the SF teams were from the PL and AC won the title.

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 82
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 8:34:25 AM   
borstal

"Tous les quarts de finale de Premier ministre...
Tous les quarts de finale de Premier ministre..."

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Boring Prophet)
Post #: 83
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 8:59:43 AM   
parsonage84

quote:

Must admit i agree, rather have Barcelona and Porto in the semi finals instead of four english teams, otherwise its just repeat of the boring big four matches that happen in the Premiership every season, that always fail to deliever.
Like last years final, as a United fan, was over the moon we got to the final but would of rather got Barcelona in the final then Chelsea as just made it seem like watching an evening FA Cup Final

The Jerk store called, they're running out of you

the King forever rembered 1958 - 2009

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 84
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 9:13:09 AM   
CORLEONE

quote:

Can't really see any of the English sides beating Barca, save for perhaps Man United.

I admit Chelsea and Arsenal would find it tough against Barca, but United and Liverpool would overcome them. Liverpool are Europe's most feared team. They're a bloody nightmare to play against. Great defensively away, and then you know you face certain death at Anfield. Gotta tip my hat to Rafa in Europe, master tactician.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 85
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 9:16:48 AM   
James2183

Although United have the stronger team, I would favour Liverpool's chances of United going up against Barca.

Now come on all English clubs missing one another!

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 86
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 9:24:43 AM   
tftrman

I'd like to see Man U vs. Barca in the final, with Messi getting a hat-trick to show who is really the best player in the world!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 87
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 9:26:07 AM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: parsonage84

just made it seem like watching an evening FA Cup Final

Oh no it didnt!

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to parsonage84)
Post #: 88
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 10:46:51 AM   
JIm R

I reckon we (Liverpool) will get Bayern Munich next round....

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 89
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 12/3/2009 11:17:49 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

So the big four do the business again - to be fair to the Italians they played well and with a bit of luck things could have turned out differently. Juventus outplayed Chelsea for good chunks of the two legs, Inter deserved a draw on last nights performance and Roma (from what I've heard) were pretty good against Arsenal yesteday as well and it ended up going to pens

I think Serie A stood up pretty well to the PL overall - we're still superior though

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI