Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 11:20:46 AM   
matthewforan

Could be some cracking games in there. The last 4 games could all be great

Chelsea v Juventus
Villarreal v Panathinaikos
Sporting Lisbon v Bayern Munich
Atletico Madrid v Porto
Lyon v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Liverpool
Arsenal v Roma
Inter Milan v Manchester United

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 31
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 11:22:59 AM   
James2183

Lyon are a shadow of their former selves sadly and will get turned over easilly by Barca. Although the English teams do seem to have got tough draws they are all pretty exciting on paper. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 32
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 11:25:56 AM   
Rhubarb

Fantastic draw on paper, loads of games I can't wait to see.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 33
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 12:25:26 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Bloody hell it's Englansd vs Italy! Unless some of our boys buck up their ideas I can see them kicking the bucket in the next round. Our lot are definitely weaker than they have been in recent years as shown by two CL second placings and dodgy league results.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 34
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 1:07:35 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Bloody hell it's Englansd vs Italy! Unless some of our boys buck up their ideas I can see them kicking the bucket in the next round. Our lot are definitely weaker than they have been in recent years as shown by two CL second placings and dodgy league results.

But thats been down to injuries as well as poor performances.  Arsenal have been without nearly all there wingers and forwards at some stage or another, Liverpools have had injuries to Gerrard, Skertel (sp) and Torres among others, Chelsea injuries have been incredible. All of which should be stronger come Feburary.
I think all the English team have a good chance of progression, Inter are hit and miss, Roma had one good game against Chelsea and Real are in bits with injuries to key personel.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 35
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 1:24:13 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

That's true - under normal circumstances I wouldn't be worried although I am a bit this time. I think Chelsea have the biggest problems because it seems Scolari's training methods have weakened them physically. Roma must be sick of the sight of English clubs

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 36
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 2:07:03 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Lyon are a shadow of their former selves sadly and will get turned over easilly by Barca. Although the English teams do seem to have got tough draws they are all pretty exciting on paper. 

I love Barca but I would be very surprised if they ruled the whole tie especially with the first leg in France. I agree that Lyon aren't as good as they used to be but they have a habit of raising themselves for big games

But we'll see I could very well be very very wrong. Hope so as Barca are a fantastic team and I want to see as much of them as possible

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 37
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 2:38:40 PM   
Donnie Murdo

Matthew, you've gotta be a bit gutted at Villareal v Panathanaikos. Would have been Celtic's best chance yet to get a bit further...

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

Post #: 38
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 2:56:15 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Donnie Murdo

Matthew, you've gotta be a bit gutted at Villareal v Panathanaikos. Would have been Celtic's best chance yet to get a bit further...

What, you mean, other than winning it in '67..?

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 39
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 3:13:03 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

To be honest I have thought about it, good luck to Villarreal they're a good team and I hope they do well. As for Celtic going a little further I'd gladly give up a place in the last 16 or 8 for the SPL trophy.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 40
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 3:16:45 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

quote:

To be honest I have thought about it, good luck to Villarreal they're a good team and I hope they do well. As for Celtic going a little further I'd gladly give up a place in the last 16 or 8 for the SPL trophy.

Amen to that.

As for the draw, some tricky ones for the English teams.

I'll be supporting Roma. Daje!

Post #: 41
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 3:18:27 PM   
matthewforan

I'm throwing my support behind Barca I can see their game being a lot better than a lot of others do.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 42
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 3:24:46 PM   
Jackal

Aye, Barca are always great to watch. Maybe a league and Champions League double..??

I'm supporting Roma since they're my 'other' team. If an English team do win it, though, I hope it's Arsenal.

Post #: 43
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 3:36:21 PM   
Rinc

A good exciting draw. I'm not too disappointed with Real for us as i trust Rafa completely in Europe, and even if Real were at their best i'd still fancy our chances. Of course there's a while till the games so who knows what state all the teams will be in. Barca culd have lost it and Real could be on fire, but i'd still put my money on us to go through.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 44
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 26/2/2009 1:08:47 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yet another set of clean sheets for English clubs - I remember last year at this stage over 8 last 16 matches our teams were involved in there were seven clean sheets - looks like we're going the same way again. Platini must be pissing his Y-fronts

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 45
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 26/2/2009 5:13:42 PM   
Goodfella

I may not like all the English clubs involved but I think it truly shows the standard of our top flight by the consistency of all or the majority of our selected teams making it through to the latter stages of the CL.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

Post #: 46
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 10/3/2009 5:52:56 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Interesting article about English CL dominance :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/mar/10/the-question-champions-league-premier

The conclusions are :

a) the top four have bucketloads of European experience now having monopolised the CL spots for years

b) the TV/CL money which they've earnt pretty much automatically for years

and most interestingly

c) the PL is basically competitive enough to make sure our top teams are kept playing at a high enough level, but not too competitive. This means our famous four can still take it easy in some matches and rest players but still get enough tough matches to keep them on their toes.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 47
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 10/3/2009 7:00:06 PM   
rupert303

I think it's because our teams are the best.

I'd imagine Villa, for example, pushing hard for the Seria A or La Liga title, where they still don't have a chance in the Prem.

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

Post #: 48
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 10/3/2009 8:32:12 PM   
foz

The Bayern - Sporting game is rather delicately-balanced at the moment

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 49
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 10/3/2009 9:49:18 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: rupert303
I'd imagine Villa, for example, pushing hard for the Seria A or La Liga title

All due respect mate, that's shite.

The English treams are enjoying a spell of relative dominance over other European teams but it comes and goes.

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 50
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 10/3/2009 9:53:41 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

I'd imagine Villa, for example, pushing hard for the Seria A or La Liga title, where they still don't have a chance in the Prem.

Sorry mate but no. I've got all respect for Villa and of course the great man as their boss. But no way on God's green earth would Villa have a chance at either of those leagues. Maybe the Portuguese one but that's about it

I really came on to say how impressed I was by Liverpool, at times just awesome stuff. Hopefully Rafa can work a bit of magic again Man U at the weekend.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 51
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 8:32:04 AM   
rupert303

quote:

quote:

Sorry mate but no. I've got all respect for Villa and of course the great man as their boss. But no way on God's green earth would Villa have a chance at either of those leagues. Maybe the Portuguese one but that's about it

I really came on to say how impressed I was by Liverpool, at times just awesome stuff. Hopefully Rafa can work a bit of magic again Man U at the weekend.

Still think that after last night? I'd have fancied Villa over that Madrid side, and Juventus were pretty old and sluggish. But yes, it was a bit of hyperbole...

Ha ha Michel Platini...as much as you hate it, Premiership clubs make up at least 3 of the world's Top 5 teams

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

Post #: 52
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 8:33:34 AM   
borstal

When is the quarter final draw?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 53
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 10:39:52 AM   
HIM

Not for like 9 days or something. I hope we get Villareal (or Inter!) 

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 54
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 10:44:33 AM   
BigBadWolf

If Utd and Arsenal both get through, then UEFA will probably start warming their balls up for the next draw, and well get all English ties for the 1/4s.

Hell, if Sky can make Grandslam Sunday happen so often then UEFA can do anything

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 55
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 10:44:55 AM   
matthewforan

Don't hope for Villarreal I know you busted through Madrid and it was amazing to see them do it but Villarreal are a tricky team and at home they've got a pretty fantastic record. Then again I hope to see Barca, Liverpool, Arsenal and Villarreal in the semis I'm not sure if that's possible but it would be my top four for sure.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 56
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 10:57:13 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Still think that after last night? I'd have fancied Villa over that Madrid side, and Juventus were pretty old and sluggish. But yes, it was a bit of hyperbole...

Ha ha Michel Platini...as much as you hate it, Premiership clubs make up at least 3 of the world's Top 5 teams

I think if Villa were in this years tournament they would of escaped the group stages only to fall short in the first knock out if they got one of the big boys.  But they are a side still improving, I would like to think they would of done better than Sporting or the Greeks who I can't be arsed to look up how to spell.  Given time and therefore the experience I think we could have 6 out of the 10 best teams in europe within 2 years.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 57
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 10:59:08 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

No one is going to want to draw Bayern in the next round either - Sporting are a fucking disgrace though

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 58
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:03:57 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah I still do Spanish and Italian teams might not have been great in Europe this but I highly doubt that Villa would be able to cope in either of the two leagues. Mainly I think because in Spain the pace is too quick. Villa are a very good counter attack team and they play great attacking football sometimes but I believe that the pace would be too much for them over time kind of like what's happening to them at the moment in the EPL. And I believe that they suffer from the opposite way of playing in Italy I doubt they'd see more that 45% of the ball if they played in that league.

In Spain they'd get top 10 in Italy maybe top 7

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 59
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/3/2009 11:06:24 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think Villa could get top 5 in both leagues - winning it is another matter though.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI