Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Champions League 2009/2010 Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Champions League 2009/2010 Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Champions League 2009/2010 Thread - 28/8/2008 5:05:33 PM   
Starscream

Group A
Chelsea
AS Roma
Bordeaux
CFR 1907 Cluj

Group B
Inter Milan
Werder Bremen
Panathinaikos
Anorthosis

Group C
Barcelona
Sporting Lisbon
FC Basel
FC Shakhtar Donetsk

Group D
Liverpool
PSV
Marseille
Atletico Madrid

Group E
Manchester United
Villarreal
Celtic
Aalborg

Group F
Lyon
Bayern Munich
Steaua Bucuresti
Fiorentina

Group G
Arsenal
Porto
Fenerbache
Dynamo Kyiv

Group H
Real Madrid
Juventus
FC Zenit
Bate Borisov

< Message edited by Starscream -- 27/8/2009 5:35:06 PM >

The allspark will be mine!
Post #: 1
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 28/8/2008 5:23:47 PM   
jediwarrior

I've never known a draw to take so long. Its been 24 mins and only the seeded teams drawn so far.

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 2
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 28/8/2008 5:35:38 PM   
Starscream

It seems to be  the Chelsea consolation prize award ceremony.

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 3
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 28/8/2008 5:45:24 PM   
borstal

Not bad for a team that appeared in two finals and still won nothing. Good players yes, but Terry defender of the year? Spat on someone in the final missed a penalty and cried? Sympathy vote for Chelsea.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 4
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 28/8/2008 5:49:09 PM   
matthewforan

Another hard draw for the mighty Glasgow Celtic but we've had tough ones before.

hail hail

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 5
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 28/8/2008 5:53:41 PM   
Starscream

Draw posted at top of thread

I knew we would  get Villarreal. Return of Rossi

Great draw for United

< Message edited by Starscream -- 28/8/2008 5:54:19 PM >

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 6
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 28/8/2008 5:57:31 PM   
borstal

Liverpools looks tricky

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 7
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 28/8/2008 6:06:22 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

Draw posted at top of thread

I knew we would  get Villarreal. Return of Rossi

Great draw for United

Bring it on mate, we beat you at Paradise and gave you a good scare at OT.

'Mon the Hoops!

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 8
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 28/8/2008 7:00:39 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Starscream

Great draw for United

Great draw for Celtic as well. We don't fear anyone at Parkhead. It took Barcelona's best performance of the whole of last season (which Xavi himself admitted) to beat us 3-2. I think 9 points at home is a realistic target. We obviously have to target Aalborg for an away win but, then, it would be daft to completely write them off. Watching Celtic play away from home is an entirely different experience to watching them at home.

I think we can do it.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to Starscream)
Post #: 9
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 30/8/2008 4:38:39 PM   
ray_likethefish

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Athletico will do this year, their first time back in the Champions League since 96 (i think). Their front line rivals that of almost anybody elses! Deigo Forlan and Sergio Augerio. It's going to be interesting to see how Augerio copes with the step up to Champions League football.

Lyon again will be another exciting team to watch but they got rid of the promising Ben Arfa so their only major hot prospects are Benzema and their younh goal keeper who's name escapes me.

This is who i think is going to go through from each group

Group A
Chelsea
AS Roma
Bordeaux
CFR 1907 Cluj

Group B
Inter Milan
Werder Bremen
Panathinaikos
Anorthosis

Group C
Barcelona
Sporting Lisbon
FC Basel
FC Shakhtar Donetsk

Group D
Liverpool
PSV
Marseille
Atletico Madrid

Group E
Manchester United
Villarreal
Celtic
Aalborg

Group F
Lyon
Bayern Munich
Steaua Bucuresti
Fiorentina

Group G
Arsenal
Porto
Fenerbache
Dynamo Kyiv

Group H
Real Madrid
Juventus
FC Zenit
Bate Borisov

In a couple of the groups the second qualification spot is really up for grabs (Group H for example, i've opted for Juventus because of their experience in the CL, but Zenit are a bright team and could push both Real and Juve).

I can't wait for this years competition to start!!

You don't have to be able to shit miracles to work in projection... but it helps

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 10
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 1/10/2008 9:55:36 PM   
James2183

I have yet to see the goal yet but it seems Barca have played it a bit sneaky and scored after Shakhtar kicked the ball out sportingly. It will be interesting to see if there is any backlash for them scoring if it turns out to be true. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to ray_likethefish)
Post #: 11
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 2/10/2008 12:58:14 PM   
proxy music

Sky's Premiership-centric rhetoric in their European coverage really annoys me, last night, according to Richard Keys, we had Claude Makalele "inventing" the holding midfield position. Even in recent history, blokes like Dunga might have something to say about that. And, a fortnight ago, he wondered if Del Piero had been studying the way Ronaldo takes his freekicks - as if he hadn't been spanking them in since the Slimey One was in short-trousers.

And, yes, I realise he's in short-trousers most of the time.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 12
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 2/10/2008 8:28:30 PM   
matthewforan

Messi's second last night was rather good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9YamJK7TWk

The commentry for it's rather funny too he really seem to like Messi, also look out for the coach who's affriad to go on to the pitch

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to proxy music)
Post #: 13
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 22/10/2008 8:13:55 PM   
James2183

Odds on Platini coming out and moaning again if Chelsea and Liverpool win tonight? I'm personally hoping both teams crush their opponents just to piss him off 

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 14
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 22/10/2008 8:55:45 PM   
Goodfella

I'm listening to Chelsea v Roma on talkSPORT. Doesn't sound like a great game at the moment.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 15
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 22/10/2008 9:29:43 PM   
James2183

It's not. Looks like I picked the wrong game to watch as the Barca game sounds like a cracker. 

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 16
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 22/10/2008 10:20:21 PM   
Goodfella

Well that was shit. The fans must have been delighted at 40 a ticket.

Just listening to Stan Collymore getting a rollicking on a phone-in now for attacking the SPL and Celtic. Love it!

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 17
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 23/10/2008 9:44:23 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

He was commenting on Ian Wright saying Celtic and Rangers should be allowed to join the Premiership because it was unfair.  Stan basically said why is their league our problem, fuck em, which is a sentiment I am right behind.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 18
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 23/10/2008 9:52:21 AM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

He was commenting on Ian Wright saying Celtic and Rangers should be allowed to join the Premiership because it was unfair.  Stan basically said why is their league our problem, fuck em, which is a sentiment I am right behind.

I think the main reaction was from Celtic fans dismayed by his description of their defeat to Man United on Tuesday night. I don't really have an opinion on them and Rangers joining the prem, it would be interesting to see but I'm not right behind it.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 19
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 23/10/2008 2:29:29 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

I think the main reaction was from Celtic fans dismayed by his description of their defeat to Man United on Tuesday night. I don't really have an opinion on them and Rangers joining the prem, it would be interesting to see but I'm not right behind it.

I just don't see why they deserve to join our league especially when our teams would have to miss out.  Plus the fact that it would only benefit the scottish teams everyone else would lose out.
Celtic were massively outplayed by United who never got out of 3rd gear. Offside goals or not they were battered.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 20
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 23/10/2008 4:48:35 PM   
broonie

What the f*** do you expect when a certain Man Utd player costs more than what the wage stucture has been at Celtic Park for the last 6-7 years. Man Utd haven't been beating at home in the Champions League for about 7 years, so there wasn't much of a chance of a team who haven't even won away from home in the CL beating them. I'm quite happy for Rangers and Celtic to stay in the SPL, going to EPL would only harm thier chances of playing in Europe.

When you look at the leagues, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are basically the Rangers & Celtic of the EPL. I would love to see any team out with the top four in England and the top two in Scotland be ousted from thier cushy CL positions.

I can understand the fear in that if Celtic and Rangers did get into the EPL that it would mean English teams losing out on revenue and Euro places,  but I think it's because most EPL team know that Celtic and Rangers are bigger than them in terms of supports, fan base and commercial worth.

Anyway, the reality is Celtic and Rangers will never get in the EPL, and thats fine by me.

I will say one more thing, Celtic and Rangers will always have something that in years to come the EPL teams will lose a lot of...identity. The EPL teams are turning into billionaires playtoys. Great to have a super-rich backer yeah, but if that backer doesn't get immediate success, managers get sacked, clubs lose stability, consequence? Teams get relegated. Laugh if you want, but give it a few years and you'll see what I mean.

< Message edited by broonie -- 23/10/2008 4:52:45 PM >

Do you want to run this ship?
Yes!
Well,...you cant!

Post #: 21
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 23/10/2008 5:21:40 PM   
proxy music

Just ignore him, he's a Sheffield United supporter with a chip on his shoulder - imagine how big the chip would be if he supported one of the biggest clubs in the world that will, paradoxically, never challenge for international honours again.

(in reply to broonie)
Post #: 22
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 23/10/2008 5:29:10 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

I just don't see why they deserve to join our league especially when our teams would have to miss out.  Plus the fact that it would only benefit the scottish teams everyone else would lose out.
Celtic were massively outplayed by United who never got out of 3rd gear. Offside goals or not they were battered.

They were missing their two main strikers though weren't they? On their night in the CL, Celtic can look a very good side.

Post #: 23
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 24/10/2008 9:29:33 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: proxy music

Just ignore him, he's a Sheffield United supporter with a chip on his shoulder - imagine how big the chip would be if he supported one of the biggest clubs in the world that will, paradoxically, never challenge for international honours again.

Oh come on I'm not having a Scottish fan throwing the chip on the shoulder jibes around.  Please explain how my comments have anything to do with being a Sheffield United fan?  Just to jog your memory I said that I didn't see why the lack of finance in your league is our problem.  Is that a wrong statement to make? Is it our duty to help you out by inviting you to join our league? 
Secondly I said you were outplayed by Manchester United in the week.  Again is there anything incorrect with that statement?
If not take your bitter little comments and come back when you actually have something to say rather than pathetic little digs.

Broonie,  interesting comment about the loss of identity of English clubs due to foreign ownership.  I would counter that Celtic are foreign owned while 6 of your starting players in your Champions League games we also not able to represent your country.  I don't think Celtic have lost their identity? 
Do you think Manchester United have, Liverpool or Villa have?  In my opinion its more than the owner that give a sense of identity to a club.
In fact Chelsea spending hundreds of millions is actually more in keeping with the identity of their history of their club as the playboys of the league, the old king road etc.   So no I'm not laughing at it I just don't believe it to be correct, just as I didn't believe Proxy's rant about Premiership debt because when you actually cut through the soundbite it has little substance in reality.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to proxy music)
Post #: 24
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 24/10/2008 10:59:57 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: proxy music

One thing football clubs seem very poor at doing is getting cash out of their extended fan base. How many people worldwide would claim some allegiance to Celtic. I'd say conservatively 10 million. If the club found some method of just getting 5 quid a year they'd have a hell of a transfer budget to compete at Champions League level. So I actually find it quite paradoxical that one of the biggest clubs in the world can't harness the cash from their extended fan base to compete for international honours.

Post #: 25
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/12/2008 12:57:34 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

There should be some serious collisions in the next round!

The best group winners : Man Utd, Bayern Munich, Roma, Barcelona, Liverpool, Juventus Vs the likes of Chelsea, Inter Milan, Arsenal and Real Madrid - considering our boys can't play each other there should be some killer matchups for English teams when the draw comes out.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 26
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/12/2008 1:02:13 PM   
The Lensman

Id love to get Real Madrid..... seeing them at Anfield, would be unreal.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 27
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/12/2008 1:21:20 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Chelsea/ Arsenal vs Barcelona would be something I'd like to see - an end to end attack fest

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 28
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 11/12/2008 1:39:39 PM   
Rhubarb

This might make you laugh

http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/crossing-the-line-from-innuendo-to-full-blown-perversion.html

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 29
RE: Champions League 2008/2009 Thread - 19/12/2008 11:15:09 AM   
matthewforan

Still lots of big names left some are bound to get out together

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> Champions League 2009/2010 Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI