Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Two More Riddick Films Coming?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Two More Riddick Films Coming? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two More Riddick Films Coming? - 26/8/2008 9:15:37 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
i've said it twice and i'll say it again.... - 26/8/2008 9:15:37 AM   
ilikechicken

vin diesel is tha action star for the noughties. An lot of vin articles today Empire...i think he's up to something !! I command you to find out empire !!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Is someone talking bollocks again? - 26/8/2008 9:28:34 AM   
The_Hat

Why on earth would any studio want to make two sequels to The Chronicles of Riddick? Why would they want to make one? Because the previous one was a financial success? No. Because the previous one is a cult hit? No. Because it has a bankable star? Not any more. Popular director? Nope.

He always has been able to talk himself up hasn't he, old Vin? I'll believe it when i see it (in a service station bargain bin probably).

Post #: 3
= lose - 26/8/2008 9:45:08 AM   
Silvertouch

"The only question is whether we take a page from the Lord of the Rings guys and try to shoot the two chapters at the same time,"

1. No.
2. Is "take a page" even a real colloquialism?

Post #: 4
I want to see more...... - 26/8/2008 9:51:48 AM   
the ageless stranger

Pitch Black was cool. Chronicles was a half and half affair, it had a lot of cool ideas, but some fairly dodgy ones and some really stupid looking hats.

Also, it didn't feel like it was set in the same universe as Pitch Black. PB went for an Alien-style romp, where you use plain old rickety ships to get from planet to planet, and creatures like the ones in the film are definitely not the norm. Chronicles however was full of Elementals, "half-dead" Necromongers, and talk of the Underverse. All a bit disconnected, but it still had its moments. Riddick himself is a great character, so I'd like to see more of him on screen, if they found the right story.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to Silvertouch)
Post #: 5
- 26/8/2008 10:14:11 AM   
Kittys_Gremlin

he was on track to begin with.......?

Post #: 6
RE: - 26/8/2008 10:22:28 AM   
Beno

For some reason upon viewing Riddick for a third time recently - first time staying with it also - its not as bad as everyone says .

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Kittys_Gremlin)
Post #: 7
RE: RE: - 26/8/2008 10:25:26 AM   
rupert303

this news leaves me underwelmed.

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 8
bad news week - 26/8/2008 11:05:01 AM   
damiyann2

This is like the worst movie news week ever. I mean one story about a sean astin comedy yesterday and now this, what the hell is going on? is this because of the writers strike? I check into empire online everyday but the last few days have been really rough. Hey empire writers please just make something up, you're all funny, just make up a news story, speculate on batman again, i don't know, my interest is waning!!!

Post #: 9
- 26/8/2008 11:10:38 AM   
Hughezy

i acutally wouldn't mind a Riddick sequel, i'm one of the 15 people that liked the last film.

Post #: 10
I liked it better the first time i saw it... - 26/8/2008 11:28:11 AM   
damiyann2

The Chronicles of Narnia, cough cough sorry of Riddick was ok, but personally i liked it better the first time i saw it, when it was called THE MUPPETS TAKE MANHATTEN!!!!!!!!

Post #: 11
on track? - 26/8/2008 1:14:08 PM   
samthemanokayman

the pacifer, his last film was a commercial success, so when has he been off track?

Post #: 12
Maybe, just maybe - 26/8/2008 1:19:27 PM   
damn im good!

It might be good. Incidently, MK and VD are a bit peeved at Fox over the Babylon AD fiasco.

http://blogs.amctv.com/scifi-scanner/2008/08/babylon-ad-mathieu-kassovitz.php

Somewhow I don't think the studio will be happy with these comments.

Post #: 13
RE: Maybe, just maybe - 26/8/2008 2:43:38 PM   
Vito_Andolini

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.  Twohy and Diesel (absurdly) said they wanted to make a LOTR-style story around Riddick, with Pitch Black being The Hobbit and three Chronicles films being LOTR. 

I found Chronicles to be a really enjoyable effort, with plenty of exciting strands to expand on.  The only things they need to do for the next however, is to make Thandie Newton and Karl Urban's characters a shitload more interesting and stop throwing in "proper actooooooorrrrrrrs" for the sake of it.

"Lunch Lady Doris, do ye have any grease?!"

"Yes, yes we do"

"THEN GREASE ME UP WOMAN!!"

"Okey dokey"

www.movieguys.org

(in reply to damn im good!)
Post #: 14
i liked it - 26/8/2008 3:39:27 PM   
DeadCell79

well i actully liked Chronicles to be honest.. and have been hoping for another riddick movie. so hearing about another 2 more is a plesent thing to hear.

Post #: 15
i liked it - 26/8/2008 3:40:25 PM   
DeadCell79

well i actully liked Chronicles to be honest.. and have been hoping for another riddick movie. so hearing about another 2 more is a plesent thing to hear.

Post #: 16
Terrible Dialogue and poor ending - 26/8/2008 3:46:37 PM   
Makman

I'm a big fan of Pitch Black and was disappointed by Chronicles. Despite cool action scenes, the sequel had terrible dialogue and a terrible ending. Making Riddick a King was a major blunder - as this meant he was no longer the "Hannibal Lecter/Terminator" character we loved in Pitch Black. I would love to see a 3rd film though.

Post #: 17
- 26/8/2008 3:53:16 PM   
waltham1979

never more has the word "pah" been more appropiate !!

Post #: 18
RE: - 26/8/2008 4:01:27 PM   
Y2Neildotcom

The cash-cow moo's again.

Why is it Hollywood are happy to invest time and money on making a sequel/prequel on a terrible franchise than spending half the amount on something NEW.

I know there was a writers strike, but surely there are actual WRITERS out there and not people who just re-hash old material?

Vin Diesel is a wannabe. No ability to hold a picture in my mind, perhaps his "directorial" debut will suit him better?

| www.y2neil.com |

"You kill or you die. Or you die then you kill".

"Your B.F's about to get F'd in the B!"

(in reply to waltham1979)
Post #: 19
- 26/8/2008 5:42:55 PM   
thepluginbaby

I never saw the Chronicles of Riddick, but the game was amazing. One of the better shooters of the last couple of years.

Post #: 20
RE: - 26/8/2008 6:41:20 PM   
kumar

lol im pretty sure he says this same thing everytime he gets a film out, but the fact they all seem to be so poor it never happens! Dont give up vinny  

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 21
Chronicles/ Pitch Black re-visited - 26/8/2008 7:51:29 PM   
rwillis122

It's nice to hear that a quite a few people were liking The Chronicles of Riddick. After reading Empire's review at the time I expected the worst, but I enjoyed Pitch Black so much I thought I'd give it a go. I did'nt think it was at all bad; the only real weak point(s) were the necromongers as bad guys. I did'nt think they carried much weight or as they say "gravitas". Apart from that though not bad at all. I watched Pitch Black in hi-def last night again( well worth the re-purchase) and have to say that Twohy dissappeared up his own arse on the extras. Maybe the self indulgence was felt a little in the sequel.
Anyway, I'd be up for a another two.

Post #: 22
RE: Chronicles/ Pitch Black re-visited - 26/8/2008 8:37:04 PM   
Sphinx

Are pigs flying? Is it judgement day? You actually mean Twohy is gonna get off his arse and make this. I should be pleased but I'm not excited - He waited too damn long to film it! I'll be suprised if it brings the fans back...........................and yes before anyone asks this is a guilty pleasure - It's vin's husky voice, I can't help it

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to rwillis122)
Post #: 23
about time - 26/8/2008 9:15:43 PM   
THUNDERCHUNK66

I really enjoyed Chronicles unfortunately I was put of by revues and didn't see it at the cinema, maybe it was because i was expecting a huge pile of shit and was surprised when it was not a pile of puke like lets say the Avengers. When I saw the beginning of the trailer for Babylon AD I thought it was gonna be a Riddick film so glad there are 2 films

Post #: 24
RE: RE: - 26/8/2008 9:17:59 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

For some reason upon viewing Riddick for a third time recently - first time staying with it also - its not as bad as everyone says .

Been saying it for ages. Still clunky, but the end is great, and it's just pure, daft sci-fi. Took Riddick too far away from what he was in Pitch Black, but not as terrible as people say.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 25
- 26/8/2008 11:28:21 PM   
Masked Dave

I saw this on TV recently and it wasn't bad, it wasn't great either, but it really didn't deserve all the hate it got there, it was a dumb, fun action film which seemed reasonably well made.

I mean come on - they have to run faster than the sun OR THE PLANET EXPLODES!

Post #: 26
RE: - 27/8/2008 1:58:44 PM   
raithrover

I think Riddick has done ok on DVD and doesn't it come with an expanded version?

Pitch Black was very enjoyable, Riddick was didn't tie into that universe very well. I'm not against a sequel as sci-fi films are in short supply nowadays, more so the decent ones. Yes, the ending was complete bonkers almost an attempt to end the series there. Where next, a pre-sequel?

(in reply to Masked Dave)
Post #: 27
RE: Chronicles/ Pitch Black re-visited - 27/8/2008 2:57:02 PM   
Gemmapelle

quote:

ORIGINAL: rwillis122

It's nice to hear that a quite a few people were liking The Chronicles of Riddick. After reading Empire's review at the time I expected the worst, but I enjoyed Pitch Black so much I thought I'd give it a go. I did'nt think it was at all bad; the only real weak point(s) were the necromongers as bad guys. I did'nt think they carried much weight or as they say "gravitas". Apart from that though not bad at all. I watched Pitch Black in hi-def last night again( well worth the re-purchase) and have to say that Twohy dissappeared up his own arse on the extras. Maybe the self indulgence was felt a little in the sequel.
Anyway, I'd be up for a another two.

I actually really liked The Chronicles of Riddick, not a patch on Pitch Black though. Have to agree with rwillis 122 in that Twohy definitely disappeared up his own arse. His self satisfied smug commentary was awful and he totally over-reached with Chronicles trying to make it some epic saga when he should have stuck to the basics. Roll on the other two though. And Vin's voice is totally a guilty pleasure of mine too...

"Death is the road to awe..."

(in reply to rwillis122)
Post #: 28
RE: Chronicles/ Pitch Black re-visited - 27/8/2008 11:19:55 PM   
Deviation

Screw Riddick, the sequels mistake was when it became about him, bring back the vampiric aliens of Pitch Black, it wasn't Vin the star, but those wonderful nasty creatures.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Gemmapelle)
Post #: 29
Just scale down the budget, up the grit, release it in ... - 28/8/2008 12:49:44 AM   
SeanValen

There's nothing wrong in wanting to do more films with a character he enjoys. And truth being, Pitch Black wasn't a huge cinema success, it was a smaller budget, 23 million sci-fi film, so it didn't need huge numbers, Pitch Black found it's main audience on dvd. The same with Riddick, the directors cut was huge on dvd, now if Diesel gets to do more Riddick, they just need to fund the movie around 50-60 million or lesser, Riddick cost 105 million, and it was paired off against Spiderman 2 in the summer of 2004, I think it's 24 million weekend would of been acceptable more had the movie not cost so much, it shows their is a audience, but Riddick needs to stay low cost and be released R rated in the fall, it's adult character.

Once again the character has been successful on dvd, and dvds actually give studios 60% of their income, cinema box office isn't the final say, but of cource it matters, but what Riddick showed us, it don't work as a summer blockbuster if it's big budget, but why should one mistake ruin it's other advantages?

I hope he gets to make it.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Two More Riddick Films Coming? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI