The Beach

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Beach Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Beach - 22/8/2008 11:23:47 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

I know this is an old book but I got this free with the Times and thought it was a cracking good read. I got through it pretty quick as well - I'll have to watch the film again now because there were definate differences present
Post #: 1
RE: The Beach - 22/8/2008 7:52:51 PM   
Woger

Was thinking of getting this a good while ago. Is it more of a back packer life style novel instead of the paradise lost theme of the film?

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 2
RE: The Beach - 25/8/2008 2:41:52 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The film has remained pretty faithful to the book - it's an enjoyable read

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 3
RE: The Beach - 27/8/2008 10:05:39 PM   
Scabby

Great book! Really loved it years ago when I read it. Although the film lacked I think the tension of the book and also Richards madness is more prominent through the book if I remember? Different ending as well which was much darker.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 4
RE: The Beach - 1/9/2008 12:30:14 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yeah I can't exactly remember what happened at the end of the film but I'm sure it's different to the book which was pretty damn dark!

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 5
RE: The Beach - 4/9/2008 6:09:09 PM   
Phil884

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

Great book! Really loved it years ago when I read it. Although the film lacked I think the tension of the book and also Richards madness is more prominent through the book if I remember? Different ending as well which was much darker.

Yeah, the way the film is edited he appears to flip out after about half an hour alone. Plus the film didn't focus on his obsession with 'Nam films, which it does in the book, explaining why he runs around like he does.

I preferred the book, but the film's pretty enjoyable too.

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 6
RE: The Beach - 5/9/2008 8:25:53 AM   
punchdrunk

It would have worked better as a mini series as the other characters really added to the environment, sort of Ch4's "Shipwrecked" but with drug dealers instead of the dreaded vote.

The shark attack victim was a haunting part of the book and was brushed over in the film, weakening it's impact and diminishing the characters struggle for surival and the young lads unwinding mind.

As for him getting the girl in the film, well fair enugh he looks like Dicaprio but not all girls are that shallow (she was much smarter character in the book) and it would have been stronger  if it was revealed to be another fantasy he was having. 

Also anyone else think that for a bunch of people that wanted to escape the usual tourist traps they had made themselves a small european resort so had fallen at the first hurdle, what a nightmare to be stuck on an Island with a bunch of bloody backpackers who are going nowhere.

< Message edited by punchdrunk -- 5/9/2008 8:28:39 AM >

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 7
RE: The Beach - 6/9/2008 1:50:37 AM   
Gazz

I read it while on holiday (hanging out with some random squatters ) and it blew my mind. Brillaint book and expertly written. The film hasn't got a patch on it.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 8
RE: The Beach - 19/9/2008 2:09:43 PM   
bobbydee

SPOILERS ALERT (sorry, having a rant!)

Beach is actually one of my favourite books. love the charcters and the idea of this paradise on earth. think the film masively fucked it though, no disrespect to danny boyle who i love, but wasn't impressed by the film. why would you cut out Jed? he's one of the main characters and a massive catalyst to the story. Richard shouldn't have been american. don't know why this bugs me so much but it does. also Sal and Richard having sex, no. Richard getting with francois, no no no. his wanting to shag etienne's girlfriend was one of the great sides to richards character cos in many ways he's a bit of a prick, but he redeems himself at the end in the book by doing right by etienne and rejecting francois. hollywoodizing (if thats a word!?) their relationship took away the possibility of having the sexual tension between richard and francois the whole way through the film, would have been much better.
And they totally lost that Daffy Duck represented his madness, not the video games. Daffy and Jed, these outsiders (be they real or not) of the group, were the characters who Richard starts associating with as he isolates himself from the group and walks on the edge of madness.
needless to say many things annoyed me about the film, but it all stems from my love of the book. maybe i should watch it again and re-evaluate it after all these years.

Last five films watched:
Psycho 5/5
The Beach 3/5
Cleo from 5 to 7 5/5
The Boat That Rocked 3/5
The Manchurian Candidate 5/5

(in reply to Gazz)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Beach Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI