Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Favourite 300 Films

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Favourite 300 Films Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 1:55:26 AM   
rawlinson

*gulp* I know I'm setting myself quite a task here, but this is intended as a looooong term project. I tried to make a top 100, but couldn't get my final list cut down low enough. Tried making it 200, same problem. I then decided on an imdb style top 250. No go there either. So here we are, a top 300. Fingers crossed I last the distance with this.  This is a list of favourite, not greatest, films. I don't think it's possible for one person to make a list of the greatest films because no one person has seen all the possible contenders for the list. So anyway, on with my list.

300. The Mouse And His Child

Year: 1977
Director: Charles Swenson, Fred Wolf
Cast: Peter Ustinov, Cloris Leachman, Sally Kellerman, Andy Devine

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

Synopsis: A wind-up toy of a mouse and his son holding hands are thrown out of their toyshop home after they become broken.  They then go on a journey to find their family and become 'self-winding'. Along the way trying to avoid becoming enslaved to a rat who uses broken toys as slave labour.

File this with Watership Down, The Plague Dogs and The Secret Of NIMH as one of a select bunch of animated films that parents in the 80s seemed to think were for children. They'd pop their little ones down in front of these films, not dreaming of the lasting trauma they were causing. At least my parents had enough sense to realise that When The Wind Blows most certainly wasn't for kids.

Bizarrely attacked by critics on its initial release, The Mouse And His Child seems to have become forgotten by everyone except by those who had their fragile young minds twisted by it.  The main characters, two clockwork mice, who hold hands and can only walk in a circle befriend a toy elephant and seal before they're thrown away from the toyshop. The two mice long to find their way back to this odd but loving family, and to become 'self-winding' along the way. The outside world is depicted as a terrifying, unsafe, place where characters like Manny The Rat (Peter Ustinov, brilliant as ever in his voice work) enslaves toys he can use for slave labour and destroys those who are too old to work any longer.

The Mouse And His Child could have gone for the easy option, there is a very sweet-natured streak running through the film and it would have been all too easy to embrace that and make the film sickly sentimental. Instead, it focuses on darker, more thoughtful, and more philosophical issues. The film can be incredibly distressing for children. Manny's destruction of some of the animals pushes the film well beyond the territory of Bambi's Mother. Although many claim the more insightful aspects have been blunted from the original novel, it certainly still gives you plenty to think about. In particular, the mices' journey to become self-winding reflects a child's journey to adulthood and independent thought, where you no longer are ruled by those who turn the key in your back. A brilliant, sadly forgotten film

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 20/8/2008 1:58:38 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 4:51:27 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

300! All the best with this!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 7:45:01 AM   
siegfried

An ambitious project. I look forward to it.
Good luck - I'll follow it with interest.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 8:39:02 AM   
elab49

Good grief - 300?!? (Did you find the 40s list?).

It has been a long long time since I've seen this so I'd be interested to see if it still stands up - with Ustinov and Leachman you'd have to hope so.

Given you reference it, I'm assuming I'll see one of my very favourite animations somewhere up the list. Murakami and Briggs - second time it has been referenced in as many days.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 4
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 11:34:40 AM   
richCie

woah...i dont think i even like that many films...
good luck with it!!

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 1:13:47 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

300! All the best with this!

Thanks, I think I'm going to need it.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 6
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 1:14:38 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

An ambitious project. I look forward to it.
Good luck - I'll follow it with interest.

Thanks, hopefully I'll include some films of interest for you.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 7
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 1:19:09 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Good grief - 300?!? (Did you find the 40s list?).

It has been a long long time since I've seen this so I'd be interested to see if it still stands up - with Ustinov and Leachman you'd have to hope so.

Given you reference it, I'm assuming I'll see one of my very favourite animations somewhere up the list. Murakami and Briggs - second time it has been referenced in as many days.

I'm reworking my 40s list because it was deleted by accident (idiocy, if I'm honest) I'm having a real problem because there's one certain film that I can't remember if I included or not. I adore the film but reviewing it is a real problem for me, so I'm not sure if I just left it off the list. If I did then I'm missing a film somewhere.

I last watched The Mouse... about a year ago, it holds up just fine, the animation is sometimes a little weak in comparison to some other animation classics, but it's still a great little film.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 1:20:27 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

good luck with it!!

Thanks.  

Out of curiosity, are people surprised over it being 300 because it's a lot of reviews to write or because it's a lot of films to love?

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 9
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 1:49:52 PM   
elab49

I empathise completely with shorter lists not being enough.

It is a tremendous commitment though - fingers crossed you get through them all.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 10
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 2:24:33 PM   
rawlinson

299. Pretty Poison

Year: 1968
Director: Noel Black
Cast: Anthony Perkins, Tuesday Weld, Beverly Garland, John Randolph

SPOILERS AHEAD

Synopsis: A delusional young man is released from a mental institution and finds himself in a relationship with a seemingly sweet cheerleader who may just be more dangerous than he is.

Anthony Perkins, plays Dennis Pitt, a disturbed young man serving time in a mental institution for arson/accidental murder. Perkins is a nerdy fantasist, released when he's not fully cured and left to deal with the tedium of small-town American life. He meets perky cheerleader Tuesday Weld. Smitten by her, he tells her he's a secret agent and enlists her to join him on 'missions' that end up in tragedy. While Perkins feels guilt over events, Weld just feels excited. She wants them to run away together, they just have to get rid of her mother first.

The mystey of why Perkins didn't become a bigger star than he was deepens here. His performance in Pretty Poison is at least equal to that in Psycho. Tuesday Weld is a real revelation , giving a great portrayal of a true sociopath, manipulating Perkins into murder and willing to betray him without a second thought. Beverly Garland puts in a great supporting turn with her performance as Weld's bitch of a mother. If her role had been bigger (and the film had been more widely acclaimed) she could have been an Oscar nominee. In fact, all three of them should have been nominated .

It'd be all to easy to dismiss this film as being about just another psychotic Perkins character, or another killer couple on the run movie. Instead, it nicely plays with your expectations. Pretty Poison starts off as a quirky black comedy that quickly turns much darker. It actually contains all the elements of classic noir - a femme fatale, murders, a hero who's out of his depth. In a nice satire of American society, the odd, seemingly psychotic Perkins actually becomes the sympathetic hero of the piece. While Weld, the all-American teenager, is shown to be incredibly dangerous.

The direction from Black ,in his feature-length debut, is strong. The film especially does well at setting up the tedium of small town life and two unbalanced people's reactions to that boredom.  It would actually make an interesting double bill with Badlands. After years of obscurity and neglect, Pretty Poison is available on dvd! Go buy it!

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 20/8/2008 2:25:59 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 2:27:02 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

I empathise completely with shorter lists not being enough.

It is a tremendous commitment though - fingers crossed you get through them all.

Thanks, if I can manage one a day it'll only take... ten months

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 3:00:36 PM   
elab49

At least you have an end point. In theory Prof could be watching and reviewing films for this thread for years!

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 13
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 3:03:30 PM   
rawlinson

Very true. I haven't actually been through all that thread yet. I've been slowly working my way through reading the longer ones. Might give that one a try next.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 3:27:49 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

At least you have an end point. In theory Prof could be watching and reviewing films for this thread for years!

Its a labour of love elan

The positive thing about it is I rank the movies as I go along so there's no chance of me watching a great film or The Wire and having to make room at the top of the list for a new entry.

Good luck Rawlinson.  I'm sure this'll contain many films I've not seen (like the first one), but will have lots of quality.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 3:59:03 PM   
TRM

2 i havent seen to start but i will be following this thread. I think 300 is inimidating because its a lot of reviews rather than being surprised by loving 300 films. I think i could happily list 300 films i really like/love (so 9 and 10/10) but i wouldnt want to be reviewing all of those. Someday i might though...

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 16
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 9:28:14 PM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

good luck with it!!

Thanks.  

Out of curiosity, are people surprised over it being 300 because it's a lot of reviews to write or because it's a lot of films to love?

Not because it's a lot of films to love. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could come up with at least that many.
It's just that being a lazy bugger by nature I can't really see myself taking on a task as huge as this. I admire your dedication, as I admire the Profs. Good on you both.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 17
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 11:06:22 PM   
richCie

its alot of films to me, cos i've only been watching films properly since the beginning of this year... give me another year and i could give you a bigger list no doubt.
10 months is a big commitment though!

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 18
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 11:18:25 PM   
swordsandsandals

Good luck. I can't even make a top ten.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 19
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 20/8/2008 11:22:19 PM   
homersimpson_esq

To be fair, the top ten is possibly the hardest bit. After that the places are more and more interchangeable. 300 is a tremendous undertaking. I've been doing mine since may (I think) and mine is only 100. If you've finished by the end of the year I'll be mightily impressed! That's not a criticism of you, just realism taking over (as life often does, thus delaying these lists!). 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 20
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 5:21:34 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

Its a labour of love elan

The positive thing about it is I rank the movies as I go along so there's no chance of me watching a great film or The Wire and having to make room at the top of the list for a new entry.

Good luck Rawlinson.  I'm sure this'll contain many films I've not seen (like the first one), but will have lots of quality.

Thanks. I'm freezing the list as it exists now, so no matter what I see, no matter how much I may love any certain films, they're not going to get into the list. When I finish the 300, I'll mention any films that may have entered the list since I made it.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 21
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 5:23:17 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

2 i havent seen to start but i will be following this thread. I think 300 is inimidating because its a lot of reviews rather than being surprised by loving 300 films. I think i could happily list 300 films i really like/love (so 9 and 10/10) but i wouldnt want to be reviewing all of those. Someday i might though...

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if I was abnormal for finding it difficult to cut the list down to 300

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 22
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 5:24:06 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

quote:

good luck with it!!

Thanks.  

Not because it's a lot of films to love. I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could come up with at least that many.
It's just that being a lazy bugger by nature I can't really see myself taking on a task as huge as this. I admire your dedication, as I admire the Profs. Good on you both.

Thanks. Hope you enjoy the list

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 23
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 5:25:23 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

its alot of films to me, cos i've only been watching films properly since the beginning of this year... give me another year and i could give you a bigger list no doubt.
10 months is a big commitment though!

I think that it'll either end up taking longer than 10 months or I'll put a few nights of insomnia to good use and I'll end up cutting down the time a lot. I quite like the idea of it being a long term project though. Lists relax me.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 24
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 5:25:56 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

Good luck. I can't even make a top ten.

Thanks. I'm sure you could if you put your mind to it.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 25
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 5:29:05 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

To be fair, the top ten is possibly the hardest bit. After that the places are more and more interchangeable. 300 is a tremendous undertaking. I've been doing mine since may (I think) and mine is only 100. If you've finished by the end of the year I'll be mightily impressed! That's not a criticism of you, just realism taking over (as life often does, thus delaying these lists!). 

My top 40 is actually pretty much set in stone, I agree about the others being more interchangable though. It's not as if I love the number 207 film that much more than the 292. I think it's more to do with how you feel when you create the list. I think end of year is a bit ambitious . I've been really enjoying your list though and you seem nearly finished. Any plans for another type of list afterwards?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 26
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 5:41:50 PM   
rawlinson

298. The Man Who Planted Trees

Year:
Director:
Frederic Back
Cast: Christopher Plummer/Phillippe Noiret

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

Synopsis: A hermit decided to repopulate a barren, desolate section of the French Alps by planting a forest.

A masterpiece of animation which won the Oscar for best Animated short in 1987. Beautiful, breathtaking, uplifting, joyous, pick an adjective really. It tells the story of the generosity of spirit that people can be capable of. Based on a short story (allegedly a true story) the film tells of how the unnamed narrator,  meets Elzeard Bouffier, a shepherd living in the French Alps, who rejuvenates a desolate area by planting a forest over the course of over 30 years. The film follows the meetings between the narrator and Bouffier, beginning in 1910, and lasting until Bouffier's peaceful death after the Second World War.

The artistry of this short film is nothing short of staggering. There are a few films in this world where it feels as if you're looking at a painting on your television screen, this is one of them. The scenes of the forest are heart-breakingly beautiful. Rendered with a light and loving touch. The animation turns darker when depicting the despair of the people who lived in the barren valley and during the narrator's service in the First World War.

There's no dialogue between the characters in the film. Rather fitting as Bouffier is depicted as a man who seldom speaks. The only speech comes through the narration, Phillippe Noiret in the original French language version, Christopher Plummer in the dubbed. Both men do the kind of superb work you'd expect, their voices blending perfectly with the animation.

A superb, inspiring, possibly life-changing bit of animation. Some people claim that Bouffier existed, others say that the short story was fictional. I don't want to know the truth. I think the belief that someone like Bouffier can exist is far more important than the reality.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 21/8/2008 5:42:35 PM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 27
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 5:46:44 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

My top 40 is actually pretty much set in stone, I agree about the others being more interchangable though. It's not as if I love the number 207 film that much more than the 292. I think it's more to do with how you feel when you create the list. I think end of year is a bit ambitious . I've been really enjoying your list though and you seem nearly finished. Any plans for another type of list afterwards?

I've got an idea or two, but it won't be a countdown type of thread, tho.

So far with this thread I'm 3 for 3 on films I've never even heard of!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 28
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 7:11:31 PM   
shawshank prisoner

With the way things are going at the moment, I'd  put good money on some Michael Bay coming up very shortly  

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 29
RE: Favourite 300 Films - 21/8/2008 7:28:57 PM   
elab49

Everyone can have a look at this - Youtube is a great place to find shorts and this certainly used to be there.

In truth I find the animation not dissimilar to Raymond Briggs although the lines moving up and creating something else is beautifully rendered.

Also - good to see shorts here too. JBG is the only other thread that includes them. Have you seen the recent Peter and the Wolf?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 21/8/2008 7:49:57 PM >

quote:

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Favourite 300 Films Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI