Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Lost in Austen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Lost in Austen Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lost in Austen - 19/8/2008 11:40:25 AM   
elab49

Starting in the ITV Autumn season we see a modern day Jane Austen fan transported into her favourite book - apparently through a door like portal according to this weeks Radio Times.

Checking the IMDB link and not seeing any credit to Jasper FForde whose ideas have clearly been nicked wholesale for this even down to the original portal. Seems a tad rum.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1117666/

< Message edited by elab49 -- 19/8/2008 11:44:10 AM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Lost in Austen - 19/8/2008 1:08:32 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

This looks pretty interesting. Being a mahoosive fan of Austen and also liking the up-and-coming career of Gemma Atherton.

What's the air date?

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: Lost in Austen - 19/8/2008 1:33:39 PM   
elab49

Doesn't give specific dates yet, just a preview of the coming season.

Not actually seen Arterton noticeable in anything yet suddenly she seems to have a massive career - she is also in yet another adaptation of Hardy's godawful dreary Tess.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 3
RE: Lost in Austen - 19/8/2008 6:04:50 PM   
Fonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Checking the IMDB link and not seeing any credit to Jasper FForde whose ideas have clearly been nicked wholesale for this even down to the original portal. Seems a tad rum.

Agreed, sounds like a blatant rip off of The Eyre Affair. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead character was called Friday Next or something. 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Lost in Austen - 19/8/2008 8:08:46 PM   
Caster

I think this is on the first week of September.  Arterton seems to be getting a lot of roles because she has long legs.

(in reply to Fonz)
Post #: 5
RE: Lost in Austen - 19/8/2008 8:37:09 PM   
Rgirvan44

So is this just the ITV version of Life on Mars but set in Jane Austin land?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 6
RE: Lost in Austen - 20/8/2008 5:01:16 PM   
Greggieboy

I'll be watching it just for Jemima Rooper as the main character.  Hubba hubba

Although Gemma Artherton is also easy on the eye.  This might be sucessful as who here actually watches ITV dramas?

Last Few Films Seen:Captain America;77/100 Harry Potter 7b; 85/100 Super 8; 74/100 X Men;First Class;76/100Fututre Films: Cowboys & Aliens, ROTPOTA, Cars 2, , Bridesmaids (at some point)

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 7
RE: Lost in Austen - 20/8/2008 9:43:52 PM   
elab49

Depends on what it is. Eye candy doesn't really come top of my assessment list.

But as 2 out of 3 of their recent adaptations of Austen was appalling and the 3rd only half decent I don't hold out a great deal of hope. You keep hoping with ITV drama premieres and being let down. Primeval is pretty much the only thing I watch on the entire set of channels (it would also be the Office but they don't care enough about it to give it a decent timeslot and I use other means of viewing).

quote:

(in reply to Greggieboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Lost in Austen - 28/8/2008 1:33:18 PM   
Grunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greggieboy

I'll be watching it just for Jemima Rooper as the main character.  Hubba hubba

Although Gemma Artherton is also easy on the eye.  This might be sucessful as who here actually watches ITV dramas?

hell yea! i love Jeminma Rooper!!  back off she is mine buddy!!

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to Greggieboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Lost in Austen - 28/8/2008 6:37:12 PM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

So is this just the ITV version of Life on Mars but set in Jane Austin land?

Yes, as others have said, ITV's Life on Mars, based on ideas pinched from Jasper FForde.  Not a good start.  Still, it's good to see that the current trend for sci-fi/fantasy programmes is continuing.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 10
RE: Lost in Austen - 28/8/2008 7:37:19 PM   
Caster

Frankly I'm glad it's not just another lawyer/cop/hospital/period drama starring the usual suspects.  Oh bugger, it is period.  Ah well, at least it's mildly different.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 11
RE: Lost in Austen - 29/8/2008 2:31:02 AM   
honeykid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

Arterton seems to be getting a lot of roles because she has long legs.

And this is bad because?...

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I think that I'll be watching something on ITV that isn't football, Al Murray or Harry Hill.

Of course, as this is an ITV drama, I may not even make it to the end of the first episode.

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 12
RE: Lost in Austen - 4/9/2008 9:26:01 AM   
elab49

The good?

Bonneville played a blinder - the only indication in the show that they had read and gotten the original source material because, unlike Joe Wright, this show understands the character of Mr Bennett and Bonneville revelled in it.

The rest, OKish to hohum. At times I thought ITV had forgotten Bonkers flopped miserably. I wondered if this was Bridget Jones for the thicker readers who hadn't gotten the Austen allusions. I assumed they lost the nice Austen readers with unnecessarily tacky landing strip lines.

But then it just seemed to degenerate into wish fulfilment for the chocolate box set - what would you say to characters who annoy you, whether they represent themselves as the book or not. I didn't actually care how she got there and if she did, but I still think Fforde should sue.

Neither Hex alumni acquits themselves well. We played spot the face - mummy from Empty Child and a Honeysuckle Weeks lookalike, apparently. Kingston is OK but isn't given a great deal.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 4/9/2008 1:09:25 PM >

quote:

(in reply to honeykid)
Post #: 13
RE: Lost in Austen - 4/9/2008 12:19:11 PM   
Peppermint

I didn't mind it, it'll do to pass the time.  However, I couldn't get over the fact that one of the characters is called Piranha, for goodness sake.

Every time I heard the name I was going 'Oh, come on, did they not think this through?'

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Lost in Austen - 4/9/2008 3:27:25 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fonz

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Agreed, sounds like a blatant rip off of The Eyre Affair. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead character was called Friday Next or something. 

I`ve never heard of The Eyre Affair or anything similar to this so I was very impressed and throughly enjoyed it. The premise may not be orgional but using Pride and Prejudice did seem to be until I read this thread. Anyway I think it has hit written all over it and I won`t be surprised if Hollywood did make a film version of the idea unless The Eyre Affair was it?

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Fonz)
Post #: 15
RE: Lost in Austen - 4/9/2008 7:32:41 PM   
elab49

Eyre Affair is the first of a series of books by Jasper Fforde which are probably far too good to adapt properly. A doorstep argument about the identity of Shakespeare is a highlight - but Thursday Next enters the portal to become part of a book, in that case Jane Eyre - she interacts to deal with the story. In this 'original' series - Price - named for the most awful Austen character - enters a portal into a book she can interract in and keep the story on track.

quote:

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 16
RE: Lost in Austen - 5/9/2008 8:47:25 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

I didn't mind it, it'll do to pass the time.  However, I couldn't get over the fact that one of the characters is called Piranha, for goodness sake.

Every time I heard the name I was going 'Oh, come on, did they not think this through?'

I thought exactly the same thing! You can imagine a bunch of businessmen in the producers office trying to get in the youthful psyche, "So what's a cool hip new name to use?" "I know! Piranha!" Twats.

I quite enjoyed this too. The girl irritates me. Seriously, getting pissed and snogging Mr. Bingley? Yeah, sure, great start.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 17
RE: Lost in Austen - 5/9/2008 9:29:11 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I won't be surprised when Mr Fforde's lawyers get in touch with the creators of this series. The concept (I didn't watch it) is almost identical to The Eyre Affair! My dad lent me it, and while it took me a while to get into the style it was very good - sort of Douglas Adams meets Jane Austen... in a good way. I have Lost in A Good Book (I mean, Christ, the title of the series is an amalgamation of the two book titles, with a quick change in the book in question) and am looking forward to reading that too. 

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 18
RE: Lost in Austen - 5/9/2008 9:59:54 AM   
elab49

Although they tail off there are moments of genius in them all, I think. Lost in a Good Book - wonderful. The nursery rhymes ones I took a bit longer to get into and still prefer the second one.

Another well-written part - Charlotte Lucas. Again, they seem to have gotten the characterisation bang on for her.

quote:

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 19
RE: Lost in Austen - 11/9/2008 9:13:53 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

Oh my goodness! I can't believe how frustrating this is! Jane with Mr Collins?!?!? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Lovin' Mr. Darcy though - he really is a miserable git

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Lost in Austen - 11/9/2008 11:59:46 AM   
Gazdance

This program is camp as tits.  Love it.  Not a massive Austen fan but my other half is (can't tell you how many times I've suffered.  I get my own back with 24) but i'm enjoying this.

Post #: 21
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 12:27:14 AM   
Sally_Ragdoll

I come asking one question:

Ladies, what did you think of THE scene?

*The Aerosmith Chick*

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 22
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 8:30:25 AM   
elab49

Not overly bothered - I like the book not the adjustments to the TV series for the chicklit watchers. Interesting in that she carries the book but clearly it is the TV series she gets off on.

I've found some bits fairly enjoyable generally - more the odd changes - Jane marrying Collins was fun. But Mr Bennett threatening to prance naked through Lady Catherine's drawing room as he totally gives up on his family was great. The more knowing adjustment to Lady Catherine a nice touch, if expected with Duncan's casting - she was, after all, possibly the best Marquise de Merteuil.  The whole rejection didn't work, for me. Not overly convinced by the extrapolation of Bingley's character either - no indication he lost it in London without her - too much of a weed.

quote:

(in reply to Sally_Ragdoll)
Post #: 23
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 9:45:49 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sally_Ragdoll

I come asking one question:

Ladies, what did you think of THE scene?

Hmmm...... Did you see those rippling muscles?!  Yum. I thought that scene was hysterical!

This programme is still undeniably frustrating though. Bingley a drunk? Wycombe misunderstood? Darcy loves Amanda?! The rejection was pretty unbelievable, I agree.

Post #: 24
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 10:11:47 AM   
Sally_Ragdoll

What I cant seem to get over is Georgiana being the person in the wrong - that's just shit.
I certainly think Mr Bennet is amazing in this show, the only one I think truly represents his character as described in the novel.
Darcy follows, until he fell in love with Amanda, but we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later...

*The Aerosmith Chick*

Post #: 25
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 10:30:53 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

What I cant seem to get over is Georgiana being the person in the wrong - that's just shit.
I certainly think Mr Bennet is amazing in this show, the only one I think truly represents his character as described in the novel.
Darcy follows, until he fell in love with Amanda, but we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later...

I didn't see that coming whatsoever either. Or Caroline Bingley being a lesbian! Austen would turn over in her grave...

Post #: 26
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 10:58:37 AM   
Sally_Ragdoll

No, that was certainly going a bit too far.
Having Wickham as the villain for so many years only now to find (at least in LIA) that he was wrongly accused is something I can't come to terms with.
I really don't know what to make of this series!

*The Aerosmith Chick*

Post #: 27
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 1:01:41 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I'm not sure what to make of it either - though I can't seem to stop watching!

It's as if all your worst nightmares of what could happen in Pride & Prejudice is happening. It's actually very frustrating. I wouldn't be surprised if Amanda ends up with Wickham (right spelling!) at this point.

Post #: 28
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 1:07:37 PM   
elab49

quote:

No, that was certainly going a bit too far.
Having Wickham as the villain for so many years only now to find (at least in LIA) that he was wrongly accused is something I can't come to terms with.
I really don't know what to make of this series!

Um - 'now to find'? Well no, he isn't. This isn't the book - it is just a popcorn entertainment show. Surely it won't affect anyone's reading of the book?!?

quote:

Post #: 29
RE: Lost in Austen - 18/9/2008 1:18:48 PM   
kathryn2

I haven't been watching this show, but it sounds like they have decided to play on the themes of P&P by having the modern character 'prejudiced' towards the characters she meets as people because of what she read in the book - so it is turning everything we know about them from the book on its head.

I can see why they decided it'd be a clever take on it, but it can't possibly work - the joy of P&P is that everyone gets what they deserve in the end, if you screw up that by changing who deserves what you can't have a satisfying romance, and so all you are going to do is piss of the people who like P&P! 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Lost in Austen Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI