Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Cruise and Raimi Setting Up Sleeper

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cruise and Raimi Setting Up Sleeper Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cruise and Raimi Setting Up Sleeper - 19/8/2008 9:24:50 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
This sounds so lame, it just might work ! - 19/8/2008 9:24:50 AM   
keaneye

Well actually, no it won't. A story about a character who's impervious to pain played by Tom Cruise is just plain annoying. It just enhances our that self righteous attitude alot of people believe he has. If he wants to improve his profile, how about taking a support role for once in his life.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Tom adds alien movie to his slate?? - 19/8/2008 9:52:10 AM   
Achilles

Was 'War of The Worlds' not an alien film then???

Post #: 3
RE: Cruise and Raimi Setting Up Sleeper - 19/8/2008 9:56:13 AM   
Kazuya

Consider me interested.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 4
I'm in - 19/8/2008 10:13:34 AM   
shool

I like tom cruise. I like Raimi. Sounds like a good concept. Go go go.

Post #: 5
RE: This sounds so lame, it just might work ! - 19/8/2008 10:20:33 AM   
The Hooded Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: keaneye

Well actually, no it won't. A story about a character who's impervious to pain played by Tom Cruise is just plain annoying. It just enhances our that self righteous attitude alot of people believe he has. If he wants to improve his profile, how about taking a support role for once in his life.

Eh what about Magnolia, Lions for Lambs, Rain Man and The Colour of Money?

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to keaneye)
Post #: 6
RE: This sounds so lame, it just might work ! - 19/8/2008 10:43:49 AM   
keaneye

Okay, my mistake, but I still think he should do far more of those roles.  His flawed characters are always better to watch.  In Mission Impossible II, for example, he's practically invincible, but in the the third film, it was the best Mission Impossible because I almost thought he could actually lose.

Yeah, well, that's just your opinion, man.....

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 7
RE: Tom adds alien movie to his slate?? - 19/8/2008 11:12:42 AM   
BIGDEVIL79

Yes, no one said it wasn't...the article is about whats on his upcoming slate, and now this alien film is

(in reply to Achilles)
Post #: 8
this sounds awful... - 19/8/2008 2:00:44 PM   
bonniee

Sam Raimi's great and the story of Sleeper is a great idea for a movie but with Tom Cruise it would be wrecked. He only ever plays TOM CRUISE, this story needs an actor who can be this character.

Post #: 9
Brubaker quality - 19/8/2008 5:51:48 PM   
sanchia

Having been written by the extremely talented Ed Brubaker the comic was a real piece of quality which was very gritty but with a sense of noir at the same time. Hearing that Cruise is potentially involved is a disappointment as it he just doesn't seem to fit the character and hasn't shown the subtlety or talent to carry of the role in years. The cimic although grand in scale was quite self contained consisting of lots of seedy rooms and grotty alleyways as the central character found himself seduced by the criminal group he had become involved in and questioning how far he would go, I can't see Cruise being able to carry that role off and he will need bigger lifts in his shoes.

Post #: 10
The Cruise effect - 19/8/2008 7:47:14 PM   
mighty mick

Tom Cruise is the perfect example that sometimes it is impossible to separate the actor from the true life persona. He's so weird and bloody annoying in real life that all his flaws, quirks, smirks et all leak onto film. As a result whenever i'm watching Charlie Babbit, Ron Kovic and especially Ethan Hunt, I'm seeing Tom Cruise. As for Sam Raimi... well, he still has to prove he can make memorable films other than Evil Dead or Spiderman trilogies.

Post #: 11
Bring it on. Cruise Rocks!!! - 20/8/2008 1:12:01 PM   
Capetonian

Enough with the hating, Tom Cruise is a good actor. And a superhero would be a welcome change of pace. Personally I never expected Robert Downey Jr to pull Iron Man off so brilliantly, so lets hope Cruise can achieve something as equally awesome.

He has personal issues, but they are not my concern, I love his movies, and thats where he matters.

Please remember people, before I get burnt at the stake, thats just my humble opinion.

Post #: 12
RE: Bring it on. Cruise Rocks!!! - 20/8/2008 3:37:18 PM   
JRockwell

A lot of people saying their issue with Cruise is he's always playing himself and I don't agree with this. He's been in so many films that at this stage of his career he'd be dealing with this criticism whether he was a normal human being or not. I think his issue is the quality of the film he chooses.

Look at his IMDB page. He was excellent in Top Gun, The Colour of Money, Rain Man (he should've won the Oscar), Born on the Fourth of July (any other year he would've won the Oscar but Day-Lewis was My Left Foot), Days of Thunder, A Few Good Men, The Firm, Interview With The Vampire, Mission Impossible, Jerry MaGuire, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia (he should've won the Oscar not Benigni and I love La Vita Bella), The Last Samurai and he was awesome in Collateral.

I don't think his problem is playing to type. He has a range, it's not massive but it ain't bad. And when he's on song and with the right director he can be so watchable. If Collateral was 5 hours long and he had to kill 15 people that night I would watch it transfixed. Credit to Mann for the beauty and knowing Cruise could be it, but Cruise nailed it. So, what have we learnt? Nothing wrong with him as an actor, just in his choices of film. And he should play the bad guy more. And when the aliens do invade and he's in his $10 million bunker and we're all getting blasted, who'll be laughing then?

(in reply to Capetonian)
Post #: 13
RE: Bring it on. Cruise Rocks!!! - 20/8/2008 8:20:17 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Cruise, Raimi, Brubaker? Colour me interested.

(in reply to JRockwell)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Cruise and Raimi Setting Up Sleeper Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI