Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: - 19/8/2008 3:35:27 PM   
adzman

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDuffMan

Fuckin genius.

Great casting.

always been a massive fan of bill hicks.

lets just hope the film does the great man justice.

Are you being ironic?

(in reply to TheDuffMan)
Post #: 31
No Fucking Way - 19/8/2008 5:15:50 PM   
Dante1975

Bill once had a dream. That dream was to hunt down and kill Billy Ray Cyrus. If these money grabbing dipshit hollywood producers go ahead and piss all over the memory of Bill Hicks then I say we leave Billy Ray alone and instead hunt down and kill Russell Crowe. Rumour has it he also sucks Satans cock .

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
RE: No Fucking Way - 19/8/2008 5:22:08 PM   
The third Jake

Not sure how to feel about this one...it could be a lot worse than Crowe. The creative team on this project need to tread very, very carefully.

(in reply to Dante1975)
Post #: 33
get chas early - 19/8/2008 5:37:15 PM   
marq

he did the excellent stage play 'slight return' at edinburgh fringe last year and is the spitting image of bill in looks and mannerisms.

Post #: 34
i feel sick - 19/8/2008 5:55:23 PM   
thewicket

This is the worst news I've heard all day.
Nothing and no one is sacred.
Run for the hills!

Post #: 35
Christ - 19/8/2008 6:09:42 PM   
eoghan

Why does this film even need to be made? Surely Hicks' work is legacy enough without adding some shitty biopic that'll just focus on Hicks as the tortured soul rather than the genius social commentator. How do I know this? Cancer is funnier than Russell Crowe. This is a bad fucking idea and is clearly just some rushed out production line dramedy that's only being made so Crowe won't be scratching his balls 'til Spring. Do yourself a favor; ignore this and buy Hicks' One Night Stand DVD.

< Message edited by eoghan -- 19/8/2008 6:12:00 PM >

Post #: 36
- 19/8/2008 6:12:11 PM   
eoghan

Why does this film even need to be made? Surely Hicks' work is legacy enough without adding some shitty biopic that'll just focus on Hicks as the tortured soul rather than the genius social commentator. How do I know this? Cancer is funnier than Russell Crowe. This is a bad fucking idea and is clearly just some rushed out production line dramedy that's only being made so Crowe won't be scratching his balls 'til Spring. Do yourself a favor; ignore this and buy his One Night Stand DVD.

Post #: 37
RE: Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks? - 19/8/2008 6:36:54 PM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: adzman:
I imagine there's hardly a fan of Bill Hicks alice who isn't appalled by this.

I think anyone who's a fan of any great stand up (and I count myself as one; comedy coming second to film in "stuff I like to watch") would be more than a little apprehensive about this project. Regardless of Crowe's potential casting (and there are problems enough with that), I just don't see this working as a film. When you have a great, extremely distinctive comedian like Hicks, the whole point of his fame and stature is his performance. As was pointed out by Marwood above, Hicks made his name on stage more than through any off-stage antics, unlike, say, Lenny Bruce, also referred to above. Even Mitch Hedburg would strike me as a better subject - while his comedy mightn't have been as influential (still funny), there's more of a story there (I'm not suggesting that that would be a good idea either though, no no no). Stand-up comedy is such a finely tuned art that a representation of it will either be off the mark, or just become mere impersonation - where's the artistic merit in that? Just go watch/listen to actual Bill Hicks footage.

To me, a comedian's jokes are their own, to be told and performed in the manner they see best (except when I try, and fail, to tell them right myself!). Somehow I don't have the same problem with a musical biopic (aside from ones that are…well….crap), but I've always seen comedy as intrinsically different. A comedian is on stage and it's him/her alone with nothing but the words they've written and how they tell them. With music, there are more elements involved (lyrics, performance, instruments, arrangements, backing vocals, etc) so that it's still possible to portray the essence of the song and performance even if the actor isn't a spot on impersonation, and the showmanship of it all lends itself better to film interpretation. The truly great comedians are great for a reason - there's that one performance where they completely nailed it. Crowe might feel he can develop an interesting story about Hicks, but what makes the story worth telling is his comedic performance and what he had to say on stage; and there's only one man who can do Hicks - Hicks.

(although Doug Stanhope is very good - go see him while he's in the area over the next few weeks!)

As for Crowe, I agree that he is too old. A part of what makes Hicks interesting is how young he started out. Crowe would be hard pushed to play the later years (being 12 years older now than Hicks when he died) let alone any of the earlier stuff. I checked the original source of the story in the Sydney Morning Herald, and it does sounds far from definite. It seems to be a project in development of Crowe's, early draft script stages and he's only a possible for the part. Nothing against Crowe, but I do hope this is one that doesn't come to pass.

Post #: 38
Hicks is the closest thing I have to religion... - 19/8/2008 6:38:24 PM   
magnusbarfod

...and this is news i'm three quarters excited about

For all the ways that this could be awful, there's reasons it could be great. Crowe, when on form, can be astounding (The Insider, LA Confidential & Master And Commander proved this....)

But he's a bit of a wally, got a temper problem and made A Beautiful Mind. And A Good Year.

And the script couldn't put a foot wrong or hoards of slavering Hicks fans would be on the warpath.

But I don't agree with whoever said that Hick's life isn't film worthy material. He started doing stand up when he was too young to be in the comedy clubs that booked him. Age 12, he owned the local comedy circuit.

He battled alcoholism, lost years of his life to drugs, had premonitions of his own death and made what is still the most formidable contribution to stand up comedy imaginable.

His story has an arc, and with the right framing, a' la Lenny, it could be a celebration of the mans work, life and message, and if there's a slight chance they could get it right, every Hicks fan in the world should be ecstatic. It's a chance to get his comedy appreciated on a previously unheard of level.

and thats a Good Thing.

But it's a tight-rope alright, and I don't envy the task ahead of the film-makers. This is not a project you want to go near fucking up.

And to whoever said Cusack earlier, instead of Crowe: YES. I've wished for that casting for years. He'd need to go method, put some weight on and make sure it was a film he gave a shit about, but that would be my call as the man to play Bill.

Here's hoping this all comes together...

Post #: 39
Hicks is the closest thing I have to religion... - 19/8/2008 6:54:46 PM   
magnusbarfod

...and this is news i'm three quarters excited about

For all the ways that this could be awful, there's reasons it could be great. Crowe, when on form, can be astounding (The Insider, LA Confidential & Master And Commander proved this....)

But he's a bit of a wally, got a temper problem and made A Beautiful Mind. And A Good Year.

And the script couldn't put a foot wrong or hoards of slavering Hicks fans would be on the warpath.

But I don't agree with whoever said that Hick's life isn't film worthy material. He started doing stand up when he was too young to be in the comedy clubs that booked him. Age 12, he owned the local comedy circuit.

He battled alcoholism, lost years of his life to drugs, had premonitions of his own death and made what is still the most formidable contribution to stand up comedy imaginable.

His story has an arc, and with the right framing, a' la Lenny, it could be a celebration of the mans work, life and message, and if there's a slight chance they could get it right, every Hicks fan in the world should be ecstatic. It's a chance to get his comedy appreciated on a previously unheard of level.

and thats a Good Thing.

But it's a tight-rope alright, and I don't envy the task ahead of the film-makers. This is not a project you want to go near fucking up.

And to whoever said Cusack earlier, instead of Crowe: YES. I've wished for that casting for years. He'd need to go method, put some weight on and make sure it was a film he gave a shit about, but that would be my call as the man to play Bill.

Here's hoping this all comes together...

Post #: 40
RE: - 19/8/2008 7:14:11 PM   
zcarstheme

Just to be clear on this...

Bill Hicks once said;

"I’m going to have a show that rids the world of all these fevered egos that are tainting our collective unconscious."

On the other hand, Russell Crowe once said;

"I don’t give a fuck who you are. Who on earth had the fucking audacity to take out the Best Actor’s poem?"

Whilst allegedly pinning someone against a wall.

Calling Alanis Morrisette.. You know how you spent a whole song failing to find a decent example of irony...?

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to TheDuffMan)
Post #: 41
Just kill me now - 19/8/2008 8:22:41 PM   
Yorkshirebint

NO. GOD NO. PLEASE GOD NO. In fact I'm a fucking aethiest and i'm tempted to take up praying if it will stop this from happening.

Post #: 42
If it gets made, I'll see it. But... - 19/8/2008 11:38:49 PM   
LaughingNabashin

Like many have commented before, this iconic legend shouldn't have a cash-in on his life story. Then again, the authors of his autobios are not very different from the people behind this production. It would be interesting to see the story come to life on the big screen, but I'll feel a tight grip of guilt while I'm watching. Knowing that the money I paid is going towards the kind of people that Bill stood against. I'll feel a little better if it's a low budget movie, and a percentage of the profits goes to the Pancreatic cancer charities.

Post #: 43
Hm - 20/8/2008 12:27:45 AM   
Piles

Dennis Leary should've played him. Get it?

Post #: 44
RE: Hm - 20/8/2008 12:42:39 AM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

Yes, get it. He's certainly been prepping for the role for quite some time....

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 45
RE: Hm - 20/8/2008 3:23:43 AM   
rawlinson

Ah, they're going for the iconic dead comedian dollar. Huge market there.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 46
RE: - 20/8/2008 8:07:02 AM   
rupert303

This news is like waking up with a big, hairy arse in your face.

Crowe...Hicks...bland Hollywood santisiation of tragic, missunderstood genius....oscar fodder...shudder.

Is there nothing sacred left in the world?

Hicks was one of the last true anti-establishment American heros, and now his memory will be sullied a la Jonny Cash. A whole generation of kids will not be able to discover him on their own, when they are ready.

I see the dopeness. You only see the wackness.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to TheDuffMan)
Post #: 47
- 20/8/2008 12:04:04 PM   
tomseymour

I don't think Crowe can pull it off.

Post #: 48
RE: - 20/8/2008 2:13:43 PM   
walkingdeadted

I think I'd rather Russel Fucking Brand than Russel Fucking Crowe. Hell, I'd rather Russ Fucking Abbot! Stupid, stupid idea.

(in reply to tomseymour)
Post #: 49
RE: RE: - 20/8/2008 4:16:25 PM   
Spaldron

When are they going to make a Richard Pryor movie?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to walkingdeadted)
Post #: 50
RE: Hm - 20/8/2008 4:29:56 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho

quote:

I watched one of those "top 50 stand up comedians" programmes and Jimmy Carr was on saying how the accusations of Leary ripping off Hicks were unjustified. It then proceeded to show the Jim Fixx skit by both of them! Hopefully egg was all over Carr's face.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 51
RE: Hm - 20/8/2008 4:46:39 PM   
rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Acho

quote:

I watched one of those "top 50 stand up comedians" programmes and Jimmy Carr was on saying how the accusations of Leary ripping off Hicks were unjustified. It then proceeded to show the Jim Fixx skit by both of them! Hopefully egg was all over Carr's face.

yep, leary sucked donkey balls, a la this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INarE1WraFA

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 52
RE: - 20/8/2008 6:48:31 PM   
Jack of Blades

Really not enthralled by this at all.

I agree with the poster who said that IF the film does have to be made, Jason Bateman would be much more appropriate.

Although Crowe might surprise, he's too old, the likeness isn't that similar (I have Aenema before anyone points me to that) and hasn't really had much experience with comedy. He may surprise, he may not.

Anyway, as for the film itself, it could work but only if the studios don't pull a Letterman and ask for any references to 'Pepsi Cola' and the like to be extracted.

When I'm at the pearly gates, this will be on my videotape...

(in reply to TheDuffMan)
Post #: 53
- 20/8/2008 6:55:40 PM   
milham_mark

I like many was a bit caught of guard with this story (physical stature preventing my first pick of Paul Giamatti being a feasible option). But do you remember the last time we were all shitting over a decision to cast an aussie in an iconic role? We all know how that turned out...Crowe is a good actor...good enough to play Hicks? We may never find out, but I am curious...

Post #: 54
Over-long - 20/8/2008 7:21:12 PM   
shanewire

The opening sentence of this article was over-long. Bill Hicks rules. Crowe might do a good job he does not look like Hicks.

Post #: 55
RE: Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks? - 20/8/2008 7:41:14 PM   
Workshed

I'm a huge Hicks fan and I too hope this dows him the justice he deserves.

"Well that's just, like, you're opinion, man"

"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!"

Post #: 56
RE: - 20/8/2008 10:00:13 PM   
rupert303

quote:

ORIGINAL: milham_mark

I like many was a bit caught of guard with this story (physical stature preventing my first pick of Paul Giamatti being a feasible option). But do you remember the last time we were all shitting over a decision to cast an aussie in an iconic role? We all know how that turned out...Crowe is a good actor...good enough to play Hicks? We may never find out, but I am curious...

Point taken. But playing The Joker is one thing, Bill Hicks is quite another.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to milham_mark)
Post #: 57
- 20/8/2008 10:59:49 PM   
milham_mark

absolutely couldnt agree more...I just like the idea of film creators being brave and making courageous decisions that might raise eyebrows, but actually have more substance than people will grant...I like the other guys (sorry, lost your name) point about how people discover Bill Hicks. I want everyone to watch this man cause I think he is incredible, but similarly I remember how I was introduced to Bill Hicks, and hope others might take a chance on something that at first might not seem worthy of attention, but you wont really know until you try it...

Post #: 58
RE: - 21/8/2008 7:20:38 AM   
rupert303

Russel Crowe isn’t a piece of casting that really inspires me,  I think he would struggle with the comic timing. But the main thing are how most modern biopics are handled.

For Bill Hicks to be Walk The Lined would be a travesty.

www.rhum.org.uk

www.denofgeek.com

(in reply to milham_mark)
Post #: 59
RE: RE: - 21/8/2008 11:24:34 AM   
Tech_Noir

I'd be more excited if Crowe played Dwayne Hicks.

(in reply to rupert303)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> RE: Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI