Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks? - 19/8/2008 8:33:24 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Is nothing sacred? - 19/8/2008 8:33:24 AM   
adzman

Bill Hicks was a genius, would he of approved of this? Probably not.

I'm actually lost for words on this one. I suppose if it brings Hicks more to the lime light at a time when a voice like his is desparately needed then some good will come of it.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 19/8/2008 9:00:54 AM   
wooz

PAUL GIAMATTI. Not fucking Crowe.

Post #: 3
RE: Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks? - 19/8/2008 9:04:42 AM   
Kazuya

Strange choice for the role, but I'm not uninterested.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 4
Nottingham is back on. - 19/8/2008 9:09:13 AM   
khac6876

Work starts again next week.

Post #: 5
You're wrong O'Hara, this biopic is a bad idea - 19/8/2008 9:10:46 AM   
Marwood

Hicks was a fantastic comedian and my favourite stand up comic but why the hell is a biopic needed? Bill's "struggle" with drink and drugs was about the same that every young adult goes through when they one day realise "shit, I've been overdoing it lately". Its not the scandalous "genius with severe personal/substance problems" that Hollywood biopics usually turn out but I can imagine that film makers would try and sex it up.

Bill was very sharp and probably influenced a lot of people's lives and views but he wasn't involved in any high profile scandals other than the Letterman thing but that would hardly make the good basis of the film. Lets see, what else do biopics try to show us...oh yeah, the real man behind the artist? Watch/listen to his stand up and you'll quickly see that the real man was on stage every performance. Or maybe read "Love all the people" if you want to read some of his more personal thoughts that weren't shown on stage.

I can think of worse actors than Russel Crowe to be involved but the whole project is a total waste of time. I'm not generally a fan of biopics as they tend to fudge or invent "facts" to make the film more interesting. If someone wants to make a tribute to Bill then how about presenting some of his shows in arty cinemas?

Post #: 6
RE: You're wrong O'Hara, this biopic is a bad idea - 19/8/2008 9:14:54 AM   
tftrman

Love All The People is a great read. I recently watched a set of his in Montreal when he's discussing the Bush administration and their war with Iraq, he could have just been talking about now. A true visionary.

(in reply to Marwood)
Post #: 7
Not today. - 19/8/2008 9:19:15 AM   
Otis Fett

Crowe is a bad choice and is at least ten years too old. I always thought that Jason Bateman would be good at playing Hicks.

Post #: 8
RE: Not today. - 19/8/2008 9:48:11 AM   
zcarstheme

Saw Hicks live twice. I don't believe in having heroes but he was the closest thing I ever had. His death was just a rumour for days.. It was pre-internet and none of the mainstream press gave a shit. Didn't actually get proper confirmation until a tiny bit in the NME over a week after I'd first heard it as a possibility. Horrible thing.

The fact this movie's being made at all is depressing but inevitable. The casting of Crowe (who's not only bad casting, but is already over ten years older than Hicks was when he died) is a real kick in the cock.

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to Otis Fett)
Post #: 9
RE: Not today. - 19/8/2008 9:53:31 AM   
Kittys_Gremlin

Please, please, please let Tool do at least part of the soundtrack!

(in reply to zcarstheme)
Post #: 10
RE: Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks? - 19/8/2008 10:31:20 AM   
My name is Legion

Russell Crowe?  Far too old, and about as funny as pancreatic cancer.

Hopefully this abomination never comes to fruition.

Post #: 11
- 19/8/2008 10:35:22 AM   
eruptus

This is definitely an interesting role for Crowe. I've been waiting for him to do something different for awhile. After The Insider, he's done mostly Ron Howard or Ridley Scott films, it's time for something else.

Post #: 12
Tool - 19/8/2008 10:46:40 AM   
mudskins

Would be even better to see Maynard and the boys from Tool do a cameo as themselves as they were good friends and Bill was going to be opening some shows for them but unfortunately he passed.
I am a big fan on Paul Giamatti but Russ would be good, If you have seen any Bill Hicks he would fit the dry shtick well.

Post #: 13
RE: Tool - 19/8/2008 10:55:34 AM   
Beatrice Kiddo

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

I can't believe they're planning to make this film in the first place....but Russell fuckin' Crowe....jeez people, I hope they were high when they made that decision and that it's just a horrible, horrible joke....in the word of the great man himself..“I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”

"They ain't tough enough, smart enough or fast enough. I can hit any bank I want, any time. They got to be at every bank, all the time."

(in reply to mudskins)
Post #: 14
- 19/8/2008 11:18:57 AM   
adzman

I imagine there's hardly a fan of Bill Hicks alice who isn't appalled by this.

Post #: 15
- 19/8/2008 11:39:43 AM   
UTB

I'd be happy to see a biopic of Hicks but Russell Crowe? You must be fucking joking.

Someone like Jim Carrey would be much more suited.

Post #: 16
RE: - 19/8/2008 12:10:34 PM   
adzman

JIM CAREY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Have you skipped your medication?  or are you mistaking Bill Hicks for someone else?

Fact is no one should be making this film!  Can you imagine a sentimental smaltzy ending to a biopic of Hicks?

It's just not possible to recreate him, he was a true individual and it should be left alone.

That's my opinion anyway.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 17
RE: Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks? - 19/8/2008 12:24:18 PM   
djsmokingjam

Ugh. A Bill Hicks biopic should be a balls-to-the-wall indie flick with all its guts intact. Russell Crowe is a terrible choice, Giamatti not much better. I'd say go for Zac Orth - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0651008/ - who bears a passing resemblance to Hicks in a few films I've seen him in. His photo on IMDB is awful, but take my word for it.

Post #: 18
RE: - 19/8/2008 12:29:17 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB
Someone like Jim Carrey would be much more suited.

Dear. God.

No, just.........No.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 19
- 19/8/2008 12:30:43 PM   
dunkah

And Hollywood just keeps a-rapin'.....

Post #: 20
Why not Denis Leary & really drive the nail into the co... - 19/8/2008 12:43:37 PM   
Summeroflovebollox

Russell crowe is no Heath Ledger. He is not a good enough actor to carry off the subtle genius of Bill Hicks. He certainly does not have the comic timing, clownishly expressive face, or sensitivity of the mysanthropic, humanist, Bill Hicks. He probably doesn't even know what that means! Why do studios insist on using "Big Names" instead of the right actor for the job? Why don't they make stars instead of lazily relying on the same old hacks to bring in the box office receipts? Chas Early, the British actor, who has toured worldwide in "Bill Hicks - A Slight Return" would be an infinitely better choice than Crowe, who is too old, too insensitive and utterly unfunny.

< Message edited by Summeroflovebollox -- 19/8/2008 1:17:41 PM >

Post #: 21
More Importantly... - 19/8/2008 12:52:44 PM   
UGonnaBarkAllDayDog?

Why are we missing the glaring obvious? Does this not go against everything Hick's stood for? A Hollywood Biopic with a big name star? In true Hick's style, I think that can fuck right off.

Post #: 22
doco - 19/8/2008 1:00:49 PM   
mudskins

I guess it best to say a documantary on the man would be far more acceptable.

Post #: 23
No - 19/8/2008 1:21:21 PM   
FoxDhoj

John Cusack anybody?

Post #: 24
- 19/8/2008 1:41:39 PM   
Luis Cyphre

This is absolutely awful news... goes completely against everything Hicks stands/stood for, disgrace, last thing we need is someone pretending to be Hicks... Let Crowe & Co. just continue the cop out and earn some money from Ads instead, may as well complete the decent into hell...
"Will there be titty?"

Post #: 25
RE: - 19/8/2008 1:42:40 PM   
eruptus

I don't understand all the complaints. Why is Russel such a bad choice? He's a good actor and he doesn't need to be a natural comedian to play this part. Hicks' life wasn't exactly a laugh-riot anyway.

Let's not forget that Dustin Hoffman is nothing like Lenny Bruce in real life, but the guy played him really well. In fact, I could see this film being like Lenny and that was no comedy. I think that Russell is a good choice for the part.

(in reply to dunkah)
Post #: 26
RE: Why not Denis Leary & really drive the nail into th... - 19/8/2008 2:28:29 PM   
zcarstheme

quote:

ORIGINAL: Summeroflovebollox

Chas Early, the British actor, who has toured worldwide in "Bill Hicks - A Slight Return" would be an infinitely better choice than Crowe, who is too old, too insensitive and utterly unfunny.

God, that show made me want to murder.

But that was largely because the concept was fundamentally broken. Early himself was fine and convincing.. It was just the fucking gall of the idea of writing 'new' Hicks material that got me. See, I've nothing against the Bootleg Beatles, but they don't turn around and try and give us a new Beatles album.

http://www.jinx.co.uk - Fiercely independent horror filmmaking

(in reply to Summeroflovebollox)
Post #: 27
- 19/8/2008 2:38:03 PM   
disgruntled_goat

Crowe does look like Hicks. He could definitely do Hicks' righteous anger well. He's about 10 years older than Hicks was when he died but I'm still buying it. Yeah, this could possibly work...

Post #: 28
RE: Not today. - 19/8/2008 2:38:35 PM   
Mr Underhill

quote:

ORIGINAL: zcarstheme

Saw Hicks live twice. I don't believe in having heroes but he was the closest thing I ever had. His death was just a rumour for days.. It was pre-internet and none of the mainstream press gave a shit. Didn't actually get proper confirmation until a tiny bit in the NME over a week after I'd first heard it as a possibility. Horrible thing.

The fact this movie's being made at all is depressing but inevitable. The casting of Crowe (who's not only bad casting, but is already over ten years older than Hicks was when he died) is a real kick in the cock.

You complete and utter GIT

I agree, a movie biopic of Hicks was inevitable and although I wouldn't be completely averse to the idea, Russell Crowe is just too old to do it, nor do I think he could do it regardless of his age, he just doesn't "feel" right, if that makes any sense. I always thought in a perfect world Kevin Spacey could play Hicks, of course it'd have to be Spacey from years ago. Now all I need is a time machine

As to who I'd like to see play Hicks now, no-one comes to mind really, it's a hard one to cast. But here's hoping the Russell Crowe version never gets made. The only positive is that maybe more people would be turned on to Hicks material.

Times like these I wish he were still alive, the state the world is in we could really use him right now!

I hate snakes, Jock! I hate em!!

It's good knowin' he's out there ... takin' er easy for all us sinners.

Last film watched -
Monsters - 4/5

(in reply to zcarstheme)
Post #: 29
- 19/8/2008 3:00:53 PM   
TheDuffMan

Fuckin genius.

Great casting.

always been a massive fan of bill hicks.

lets just hope the film does the great man justice.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Russell Crowe To Play Bill Hicks? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI