Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Leeds accept Villa's Delph bid!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Leeds accept Villa's Delph bid! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Leeds accept Villa's Delph bid! - 17/8/2009 8:26:19 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ell
I have an instinctive feeling that Heskey could pull a fair few goals out the bag for us this season too. Here's to hoping!

That's one of the most insane things I've read in a while. If Heskey gets into double figures this season I will be very, very surprised.

Well, great start to the season for us. If MON didn't realise before that we need more defenders he bloody better now.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 211
Aston Villa - 09/10 - 20/10/2009 2:39:49 PM   
Ell

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ell
I have an instinctive feeling that Heskey could pull a fair few goals out the bag for us this season too. Here's to hoping!

That's one of the most insane things I've read in a while. If Heskey gets into double figures this season I will be very, very surprised.

Well, great start to the season for us. If MON didn't realise before that we need more defenders he bloody better now.

I firmly take my words back and eat them!

Bar the Blackburn game, we've had a great start to the campaign. With no European commitments (that Rapid Vienna defeat may have been a blessing in disguise) this time round, we ought to be putting a fair bit of pressure on those top four teams. Sure, we've lost potentially irreplacable players in Barry and Laursen, but with the bolstering of our almost reinvented backline and the experience youthful talent such as Young, Milner and Agbonlahor have developed over last season, there's no reason why we cannot push on and give the top four-five clubs a hard time.

My only worry is, of course, the latter end of the season. Will we start to lose steam and become complacent during the 'business end' of things? Off the top of my head I think it was thirteen games we went without a win last season towards the latter stages. As previously touched on though, hopefully our exit from Europe will benefit the squad and push on to improve or at least equal last season's place in the table.

With the top four being, well, the top four, and Man City and Spurs both stepping their game up this season, I would be happy with a top six finish. Anything less surely would be a cause for concern?

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 212
RE: Aston Villa - 09/10 - 11/12/2009 10:53:26 AM   
Hardcore Raver

So, any thoughts on how the season is going for us? I'm pretty pleased so far. We're going along nicely in the league, and in the semi-finals of the League Cup. With Downing back sooner than expected and Milner moving into the centre we may just have found our replacement for Gareth Barry. I still don't think we'll finish in the top four, but I can't see us being too far off the pace come the end of the season. Our results against other top four and potential top for teams have been promising (though admittedly, if Spurs had had anywhere near the amount of luck they had against Wigan they would have destryed us) but we've sometimes struggled against other teams. Still, I definitely think that we are continuing to move in the right direction.

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 213
RE: Aston Villa - 09/10 - 11/12/2009 11:06:53 AM   
tftrman

Yeah, we're doing pretty well and Dunne is proving to be a great signing for us. My only worry with Milner is that he'll become disillusioned with being moved around the pitch but he seems happy enough so far and has been our best player.

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 214
RE: Aston Villa - 09/10 - 12/12/2009 8:29:29 PM   
Riddick_J

'if your happy and you know it clap you hands'

What a good win for the Villa, up to third, lovely stuff.
And all despite fat boy fat Wayne Rooney floating threw the air like a butterfly. I dont dive my arse.

I'm not saying i don't trust you and I'm not saying i do, but i don't.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 215
RE: Aston Villa - 09/10 - 14/12/2009 6:19:26 PM   
Ell

I think the greatest positive to take away from our win at Old Trafford on Saturday was our defence. Attack after attack off Utd - mostly in the second half - and our discipline saw us through. Add to that the fact we didn't shut up shop from the first kick of the game like a lot of teams do when playing against them in their own park, we really went for it, and it paid off.

Sunderland away tomorrow. Warnock will be out after picking up a neck injury at Man U. It's these kind of games we tend to overlook and drop points at, but here's to hoping we can pull something off after a great performance on the weekend.

(in reply to Riddick_J)
Post #: 216
RE: Aston Villa - 09/10 - 21/1/2010 7:46:35 PM   
Ell

Cup final, eh? 

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 217
RE: Aston Villa - 09/10 - 22/1/2010 10:44:12 AM   
matty_b

Congrats, Villa! They're one side I always like to see do well, and I love MON, so well done. I'll be rooting for you in the final. If you get Utd, I actually think you'll win, but I think if Citeh get there, I think they'll just have too much on the day.

But the irony of Gareth Barry getting a loser's medal and Richard Dunne getting a winner's would be magnificent indeed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 218
Aston Villa - 10/11 - 14/8/2010 11:31:25 AM   
Ell

Milner apparently named in the squad for West Ham today by Kevin MacDonald...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6310000,00.html

What are people's thoughts on who will be our next manager? Bob Bradley is being tipped favourite having recently left his post as USA coach. Can't say I'm too keen on that happening.

Any chance of getting the OP title changed. A little dated

< Message edited by Ell -- 14/8/2010 11:33:07 AM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 219
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 14/8/2010 11:40:07 AM   
foz

I think Bradley would be a good acquisition for Villa, although I'd suggest him in a Head Coach role alongside a Director of Football to advise on signings.

Playing Milner (or at least having him in the squad) today makes sense, as he's still the best player at the club in that role.  He's still being paid a decent wedge by AVFC until he signs for Citeh (which is sadly inevitable, although if you get Ireland as a makeweight you're getting the much better half of the deal anyway) so he needs to get up and get on with it.  In fairness, he's not been especially aggressive in agitating for a move unlike other players when the golden carrot of City's wages are dangled in front of them, so I guess the hope is that he puts a good shift in and leaves with a bit of dignity.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 220
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 14/8/2010 12:08:54 PM   
Ell

quote:

ORIGINAL: foz

Playing Milner (or at least having him in the squad) today makes sense, as he's still the best player at the club in that role.  He's still being paid a decent wedge by AVFC until he signs for Citeh (which is sadly inevitable, although if you get Ireland as a makeweight you're getting the much better half of the deal anyway) so he needs to get up and get on with it.  In fairness, he's not been especially aggressive in agitating for a move unlike other players when the golden carrot of City's wages are dangled in front of them, so I guess the hope is that he puts a good shift in and leaves with a bit of dignity.

As a Villa fan, I do agree. It's all but a done deal. I guess I was just a little concerned of it becoming for us how it became for Everton when Lescott left in the manner he did. A right sham.

He is one of our best players, and was alongside Richard Dunne as IMO our best performer throughout last season. I don't know enough about Stephen Ireland other than he had a cracking season in 2008 for City. I just hope if he his involved in the deal that he can replicate some of that previous form and the lack of first team football hasn't hindered his game.

It's evident that we probably won't be bringing in many (if at all) new faces into the squad before the transfer deadline is up, and if one of your key players is on their way out, you'd hope to replace that with as good a player. So fingers crossed Ireland is on his way here, as throughout the summer I've always thought we needed a midfielder in the centre and possibly another striker.

Lack of depth has always been an issue. Beyond the starting eleven there has never really been that cutting edge. We have been fortunate in previous seasons that key figures that start for us have been free of injury. I just feel beyond that our quality begins to dwindle, and is in part the reason why we tend to dip dramatically towards the business end of the season.

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 221
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 16/8/2010 12:10:35 PM   
tftrman

A very good performance on Saturday, Ashley Young looked good in a floating role behind Carew and Albrighton is one to watch. Glad to see Milner put in a shift, you can't say he's not professional. We're still desperately in need of a striker though, if it wasn't for our midfielders we could have been rueing Carew's many misses.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 222
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 16/8/2010 12:14:08 PM   
DJ Satan

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

A very good performance on Saturday, Ashley Young looked good in a floating role behind Carew and Albrighton is one to watch. Glad to see Milner put in a shift, you can't say he's not professional. We're still desperately in need of a striker though, if it wasn't for our midfielders we could have been rueing Carew's many misses.

That's good to hear. I look forward to seeing how he fits into the Spurs line up.

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 223
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 17/8/2010 1:33:04 PM   
foz

Looks like Milner's transfer to City will be announced officially within the next couple of hours, with Ireland joining Villa.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 224
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 12:34:32 PM   
Sleazy

and

Sorry, couldnt resist it.

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 225
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 2:29:03 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Well, that was horrible. Our worst result that I can remember, even eclipsing our embarrassment against Doncaster in the League Cup a few years ago. After being quietly optimistic following O'Neill's departure, I'm now worried that we are going to slide back into mid-table obscurity. Okay, it was just one result, and in our two other games so far we have looked pretty good, but to lose 6-0 to a newly promoted team is just abysmal, and not the sort of result a team challenging for Europe should be on the end of.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 226
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 4:27:11 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think one thing that was clear before the game was that losing Milner possibly wasn't going to be as bigger problem as gaining Stephen Ireland. I think that Ireland is actually a very good footballer (even if he is also a complete tit imo), but if you look at where he was best with City it was in an advanced position in a 4-5-1 formation. I just didn't see him fitting into a 4-4-2 in central midfield and I think that showed.

Having said that, I can't make one midfielder responsible for a 6-0 rapping. Carew's penalty seemed to typify a Villa team that might have thought they were out for an easy Sunday afternoon game, which I do have to say is bad management.

I don't think Newcastle are a brilliant team, but I think they gave a better account of themselves for the majority of their opener against Utd than many people gave them credit for. And don't forget that not many newly promoted sides can boast the likes of Smith and Barton. Again, you might not like the individuals, but they can be good players.

The next game looks like a crunch one already, with Everton also having made a slow start. After that, you can't help but feel the international break might be a good time to bring in a new manager.

< Message edited by Professor Moriarty -- 23/8/2010 4:36:10 PM >

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 227
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 5:15:23 PM   
Sleazy

Who do you reckon then?

Sounds daft at first but how about Maradona (assuming he'll go outside London)?

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 228
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 5:36:07 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Just why would anyone want Maradona to manage them.

Don't get me wrong, hands or no hands, I regard him as possibly the finest footballer to ever play. He also seemed inspirational as a captain. But the evidence of the WC seems to point to that being his limit, an inspirational speech and the ability to put his arm around the shoulder of a player. I think the progress Argentina made in the WC was to a degree in spite of him rather than because of him. It'd be the kind of thing that would be great for a day, just for the thrill of it, but I'd expect to end quite messily.

Bob Bradley seems to be interested. The owner is American so they might be culturally in tune. And I know Villa supporters will hate me for saying this, but it seems about the right level for the team.

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 229
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 5:44:13 PM   
directorscut

Ireland is a far better footballer than Milner and I say that as someone who wants to strangle the punk for nothing playing for his country.  This deal strikes me as a mini-Zlatan for Eto'o + 70 million debacle.

6-0 was a nice bit of karma for chairmen messing around with managers.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 230
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 5:47:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Ireland is a far better footballer than Milner and I say that as someone who wants to strangle the punk for nothing playing for his country. This deal strikes me as a mini-Zlatan for Eto'o + 70 million debacle.

In that case shouldn't you want to strangle Stephen Hunt?

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 231
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 5:49:56 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Ireland is a far better footballer than Milner and I say that as someone who wants to strangle the punk for nothing playing for his country.  This deal strikes me as a mini-Zlatan for Eto'o + 70 million debacle.

Did I miss some news?  Did Hunt quit Ireland?

I have never seen Stephen Hunt give less tahn 100% when he played for Ireland.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 232
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 5:53:23 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ireland is a far better footballer than Milner and I say that as someone who wants to strangle the punk for nothing playing for his country. This deal strikes me as a mini-Zlatan for Eto'o + 70 million debacle.

Did I miss some news? Did Hunt quit Ireland?

Apparently he gave 110% when bullying Ireland in the dressing room. A couple of my Irish mates absolutely hate him for it, what with Ireland being 10 times the player Hunt is.

Now it's easy to say Ireland should man up but the boy is obviously a mentalist. He pretty much killed both his grandmothers to avoid playing in the same team as Hunt after all .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Post #: 233
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 5:55:13 PM   
directorscut

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Apparently he gave 110% when bullying Ireland in the dressing room. A couple of my Irish mates absolutely hate him for it, what with Ireland being 10 times the player Hunt is.

Now it's easy to say Ireland should man up but the boy is obviously a mentalist. He pretty much killed both his grandmothers to avoid playing in the same team as Hunt after all .

I heard it was Robbie Keane trying to pull his wig off.  

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 234
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/8/2010 5:59:03 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I heard it was Robbie Keane trying to pull his wig off.

I heard it was Hunt, with Robbie Keane and Kilbane holding him down.

I, and many people I assume, would have taken that in the manner it was intended and probably would have pissed in their shoes or something as retaliation and that would be the end of it .

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 235
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 24/8/2010 2:06:16 PM   
Hardcore Raver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Bob Bradley seems to be interested. The owner is American so they might be culturally in tune. And I know Villa supporters will hate me for saying this, but it seems about the right level for the team.

I don't really know enough about Bradley to make an informed decision either way. He seems to have done a decent job with USA but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be good for Villa. Having said that, I can't really think of anybody else who is available at the moment who I would rather have. The only name that has been mentioned who I would be quite interested in would be Martin Jol, but I can't see us taking him off Ajax after seeing the fight they put up to keep him away from Fulham. And speaking of Fulham, it's a shame that they employed Mark Hughes because I wouldn't have minded seeing him in charge of Villa.

Post #: 236
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 24/8/2010 2:16:26 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah who does the chairman think he is expecting the manager to stick to a sizeable wage bill after spending more than Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and not progressing.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 237
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 24/8/2010 7:39:51 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah who does the chairman think he is expecting the manager to stick to a sizeable wage bill after spending more than Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool and not progressing.

Over a period of how many years?  O'Neill has had to completely rebuild the team since he took over.  He spent 120 million doing that.  Ferguson has spent 120 million on four players. When O'Neill took over the team were in 16th place, since then they've finised 11th, 6th, 6th and 6th, so yes I'd say progress has been made; when he took over they were a team in a dire position, now they are a team who consistantly finish in the top six. 

The majority of chairmen know jack about football and they should keep their noses out of it.  Watch as Villa start to slip out of the top half of the league, O'Neill's "not progressing" at 6th will seem a long way off.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 238
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 25/8/2010 11:13:59 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

Over a period of how many years? O'Neill has had to completely rebuild the team since he took over. He spent 120 million doing that. Ferguson has spent 120 million on four players. When O'Neill took over the team were in 16th place, since then they've finised 11th, 6th, 6th and 6th, so yes I'd say progress has been made; when he took over they were a team in a dire position, now they are a team who consistantly finish in the top six.

The majority of chairmen know jack about football and they should keep their noses out of it. Watch as Villa start to slip out of the top half of the league,O'Neill's "not progressing" at 6th will seem a long way off.

Since O'Neill took over he has spent more than anyone other than City and Spurs. That's a fact and he paid a lot of money for players he doesn't use and also paid them large wages.
The issue which he left over was because he wanted more players but wouldn't trim the wage bill. You can't just keep upping the wage bill to unaffordable level, that is one thing that has to balance. How much did he pay for the likes of Davies transfer fee and wages who he isn't using and then wanted more money?

Chairman may know jack about football and as far as I know the chairman never interfered with team affairs.
To use your line, managers know jack about running a football club and balancing the wage bill, they are always 3 players short and part of O'Neils job is to ensure the wage bill is balanced. He wouldn't do this and wanted to risk the future of the club against him qualifying for the Champions League. Something he had failed to get close to despite massive backing.
O'Neil refused to manage the club properly and the board wouldn't take the huge risk and so he walked. He should have a look at the likes of Leeds and see what happens when chairman back managers cavalier attitudes.

Villa may slip from 6th but I bet O'Neill doesn't get a job anywhere near that level.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 25/8/2010 11:17:37 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 239
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 10/9/2010 2:28:15 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Alas, poor Villa we knew you well.

I guess the only good thing to come out of this is that Phil Thommo Thompson hasn't come along. But all I see now is route 1 football of the lowest skill level, dodgy signings and piss poor man management. Still he can be quite funny being interviewed.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Leeds accept Villa's Delph bid! Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI