Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/3/2009 1:09:33 PM   
Rinc

Apparently some Villa fans booed him during the Spurs game according to the BBC. Can anyone confirm this?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 121
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/3/2009 2:03:02 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIroProtagonist
What does worry me, however, is Gabby. He's had an amazing season so far, and he's played a hell of a lot of games, but it's been a while now since he scored. I'm just hoping Martin and Co are saying the right things to him off the pitch, to keep his morale up.

The problem is ultimately Gabby isn't going to be good enough to compete at the highest level.  I just don't think he has the ability nor the attitude.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 122
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/3/2009 9:56:57 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

quote:

What does worry me, however, is Gabby. He's had an amazing season so far, and he's played a hell of a lot of games, but it's been a while now since he scored. I'm just hoping Martin and Co are saying the right things to him off the pitch, to keep his morale up.

The problem is ultimately Gabby isn't going to be good enough to compete at the highest level. I just don't think he has the ability nor the attitude.

Do you think if he is to move up a level he needs to move to one of the big four.

Under Wenger, surely he would flourish.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 123
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 17/3/2009 10:17:59 AM   
tftrman

I think my reservations about the Heskey signing are proving to be warranted, and I think has had a detrimental effect on the team - we're now playing the old "lump it up to Heskey for him to hold up" game and MON is consistently playing him without Heskey's performances justifying his inclusion.

I think the thing missing from Gabby's game is consistency, not a lack of ability.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 124
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 17/3/2009 8:23:14 PM   
Spengler

Well, I said it a while ago. I was looking for having posted it in here, but couldn't find it - I have been waiting for Villa to do this for a while. They've promised so much, and then fucked it up. I was only gonna believe a top 4 finish was possible when it actually happened. I'm not throwing my hands in the air and saying it's hopeless, but I'm struggling to find my optimism after a run of dismal results including certain teams (Man City, Stoke and Spurs) who we should be beating.

I love Aston Villa Football Club, dearly, like you would a child, or a member of your family. And it breaks my heart when they lose, it truly does. But I have absolute and unshakeable belief in the character of the players in the squad we've got - Gabby, Ashley, Barry, Petrov, Laursen, Davies, Friedel, Milner amongst others have huge hearts and play their arses off for us regularly. Trouble is, and this has been the trouble in almost every game since the first Moscow game, we've been playing well, but not taking our chances. Whether Gabby's suffering a lack of confidence in front of goal, I couldn't say. But I will never criticise him, because of the sheer amount of work he puts in week in, week out. I think he's similar to Wayne Rooney in that respect - you could play him anywhere on the field and he will absolutely run his arse off and cover every blade of grass to be the first to the ball. When he played for England against Germany, one of the papers tracked his movements throughout the game and he was all over the place. I fully support every member of the Villa team and while I may be disappointed with the results, I'm not going to sit here and criticise, because in honesty, we have to think about it in terms of what was actually achievable at the start of the season. Our first team squad is still only 25 players, and we've sent 3 or 4 of those out on loan. They were saying how we've only used 19 (I think it's 20 now Delfouneso got on at the weekend) players in the Premiership this season - that's because that's all we've got! We don't even have 2 players for every position who are up to the Premier League standard - if you look at Man Utd, they can play a league game at the weekend with 11 quality players, and still play a cup game in midweek with 11 different players that would still be good enough to beat any Premier League team. That's what it takes to win titles nowadays.

At present, we need to take stock of the task ahead of us. The next 3 games will be tough - Liverpool away, Utd away and Everton at home is probably the toughest run yet - but we're capable if the players get it right. I'm less confident of us going to Anfield or Old Trafford and getting a result as I would have been earlier in the season, but I still have to believe we can do it. After that though, our last 6 games are potentially 6 wins. So as long as we can come through the next 3 still in contention for 5th place, we can restart our pursuit of 4th with those games. The end of the season is gonna be important for us - we need 5 or 10 players more than we've got now, and established, Premiership quality players. We need 2 defenders (at least), 2 strikers (including a 20 - goal - a - season centre forward) and a few more midfielders.

The past few games have illustrated how much of a big miss Laursen is for us though - without him, our whole defensive system falls apart. As good and as competent as Knight, Davies, Cuellar and Young are, none of them are leaders, not in the same vein as Laursen. He's a massive, massive player for us and we urgently need him back in the team. Hopefully him and Bouma can return and shore up the defence, we can put Reo Coker into midfield (as he's probably fresh, as hasn't played many games, and was the man of the match for me on Sunday). Maybe some experimentation could occur within the next few games.

Starting line up, allowing for certain players being fit:

Friedel

L. Young Laursen Cuellar (or Davies) Bouma

Barry
Milner A. Young
Agbonlahor

Carew/Heskey Delfouneso

What does anyone think to that? Gabby, Milner and Ashley going forward to support the attack, Barry shoring up the defence when we need to go back.

Traitor

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 125
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 17/3/2009 8:31:05 PM   
Spengler

Also, my fellow Villa fans, any ideas for ideal transfer targets? Including ones we've been linked with, I'll say:

Defenders:
Glen Johnson
Joleon Lescott
Micah Richards

Midfielders:
Michael Johnson
Daniel Sturridge
Someone in the Tim Cahill vein

Strikers:
Obafemi Martins
Roque Santa Cruz

We've been linked with a midfielder from Valencia today, though they seem to have taken the story off the BBC Sport gossip page.

Traitor

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 126
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 17/3/2009 8:51:34 PM   
matthewforan

Right i've been celebrating Celtic's win at the weekend long enough now. What has happened to Villa, is the pressure just getting to the team or is it just tiredness?

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 127
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 18/3/2009 10:39:51 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spengler

Also, my fellow Villa fans, any ideas for ideal transfer targets? Including ones we've been linked with, I'll say:

Defenders:
Glen Johnson
Joleon Lescott
Micah Richards

Midfielders:
Michael Johnson
Daniel Sturridge
Someone in the Tim Cahill vein

Strikers:
Obafemi Martins
Roque Santa Cruz

We've been linked with a midfielder from Valencia today, though they seem to have taken the story off the BBC Sport gossip page.

The Valencia player is a right back, Miguel. Decent player by all accounts. Out of the list above, wouldn't mind Micah Richards if he can regain last seasons form and Michael Johnson is a good prospect. Santa Cruz I'm not convinced about, he was never prolific before last season and Martins isn't a 20 goal a season player either. If he could stay fit I'd say Michael Owen.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 128
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 18/3/2009 10:47:40 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Michael Johnson and Richards need a manager to kick their arses.  Johnson in particular has gone downhill massivly and according to reports his attitude stinks.
If MoN is the man for this then dive in however you get the feeling they would think they were doing Villa a favour by joining them rather than the other way around.

If you want a great young right back then Kyle Naughton would be a good choice, however he wouldn't come cheep. 5-6 Million was turned down at the last window.

Great call on Danny Sturridge although he is a forward not a midfielder.  Just think Gabby, but younger and better.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 18/3/2009 10:48:44 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 129
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 18/3/2009 1:08:41 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think Villa are just getting tired which is a real shame - that said they've benefitted from Arsenal's injuries and had the Gunners not suffered in that regard they wouldn't have had a real shot at fourth spot anyway

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 130
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 22/3/2009 5:35:56 PM   
HIroProtagonist

And many, many more emotions whilst watching this. There's still time left in the match, but as for Villas' European ambitions, they're as dead as <<insert whoever here>>

Still - Positive thinking and all that. Bring on the 2009 / 10 season.

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 131
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 22/3/2009 5:40:07 PM   
Rinc

The Friedel sending off was harsh.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 132
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 22/3/2009 5:43:36 PM   
HIroProtagonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Aint that the truth - If I was Martin I'd forget the remainder of the match, and get started on the FA Appeal against the sending off.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 133
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 22/3/2009 5:51:20 PM   
matthewforan

Yeah was pretty harsh Liverpool have been brilliant though.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 134
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 22/3/2009 6:47:34 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Agreed. Definite yellow, but that was it. Shame, I've always liked Brad with his massive arms.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 135
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 23/3/2009 10:04:26 AM   
HIM

quote:

as for Villas' European ambitions, they're as dead as <<insert whoever here>>

Jade Goody?

Post #: 136
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 23/3/2009 11:20:51 AM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

quote:

as for Villas' European ambitions, they're as dead as <<insert whoever here>>

Jade Goody?

Too soon.

Villa need to get their arses in gear otherwise we might end up having to go through the intertoto again!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 137
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 25/3/2009 1:48:03 PM   
HIroProtagonist

I didn't get around to posting this up (bad me :) We appealed against Brads Red Card, and it was recinded, however tThe Professional Game Match Officials Board aint to happy about it:

"...The PGMO have sought clarification from the FA on the reasons why the appeal panel found against the referee..."

Erm, perhaps because it was the wrong decision, to send him off?

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 138
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 30/3/2009 10:15:57 AM   
tftrman

Fingers crossed Heskey will be out of the Villa team for a few weeks following his substitution on Saturday for England!

Post #: 139
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 6/4/2009 1:05:48 PM   
tftrman

I hope we can hold on to 5th. It's going to be a tough one next Sunday against Everton. Well, Barry will be off at the end of the season then - who should replace him? I've heard rumours of Steven Defour from Standard Liege, good passer of the ball but a bit lightweight.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 140
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 6/4/2009 1:06:38 PM   
HIroProtagonist

Soooo gutted - I honestly thought we were gonna walk away with 3 points yesterday  United were terrrible for most of the match - hell I was getting ready to post in the Liverpool thread telling 'em that beating United was our way of making 'em feel bad for not getting Barry, when they go and level it, and then win.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 141
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 6/4/2009 1:25:51 PM   
jonson

You were robbed!!!! 
Great game though, fair play to Villa for going at them, you almost (almost) felt sorry for Man U for the way they were being battered and bettered to every ball.
Very unfortunate not to get a point at least.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 142
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 7/4/2009 9:00:58 PM   
Spengler

People may (or may not) have noticed I've not been around this thread for a while. That's because there's not really been much to shout about, being a Villa fan of late. We were going well generally in the season until the Chelsea game, then it all started to fall apart so spectacularly. But by far the lowest point of the season has been the Liverpool game. That result very nearly pushed me over the edge.

However we can take a lot of positives from the Utd game - ALL of Britain's press seem to have *conveniently* forgotten that we played them off the park for 75 minutes. Yes, it was a weakened Utd team, but that team would have gotten a better result against most other teams in the Premiership, and Villa are in a serious lull at the moment. But the performance was great, if not the result - Gabby had a great game, as did Ashley. Carew was an absolute menace and had possession and running like he never usually does. Barry bossed things all the way through, which just goes to show how important he is and how much we need to keep ahold of him.

I still fear for our defence without Laursen though - don't get me wrong, Curtis and Cuellar are two top, top defenders, but as I've said before, there just isn't the organisation when Laursen's not there. The first goal was entirely Milner's fault, because he temporarily lost his damn mind, though I felt we could have done better for the other two - Ronaldo was unmarked on the edge of the box when the ball came out to him for the second, and you can't give him that much space. The third, Luke Young wasn't tight enough on Machedo - he got a challenge in the first time, then let Machedo run behind him and just gave him that yard of space that he needed.

Oh well. Hopefully the lads can take the positives from that game (because there are alot) and take it into Sunday's game, and get a much - needed win over Everton. I'm just hoping and praying that we can manage it.

Quite where that joke of a referee got 5 fucking minutes from is beyond me though.

Traitor

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 143
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 7/4/2009 9:31:10 PM   
HIroProtagonist

Personally I think the season fell apart when Everton knocked us out of the cup, back on February 15th - we haven't won a game since, just two draws (of which, there was no excuse for one, i.e. the Stoke draw). There are definitely positives to be taken out of this season, I just hope we can string together a series of results, so that the team don't end the season on a losing foot - let's try and get something positive, then go into post, then pre-season and try and strengthen the squad.

As for Barry, I noticed he was pretty quiet during the good run, now that it's stopped, he's off playing his mouth to the press - he's been a good player for Villa over the years, but if he doesn't wanna stay, we should just get shot of him, and do our best to replace him.

And don't get me started on the press - two months ago we were "serious challengers for the title" so they said - amazing how quickly they forget that :)

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 144
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 8/4/2009 7:29:30 PM   
Spengler

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7990471.stm

Benitez may be a crazy Spanish bastard but by God, he was right.

Traitor

Post #: 145
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 8/4/2009 8:45:46 PM   
foz

Important quote that the BBC forgot to mention at all in their article:

quote:

The FA have confirmed that the charge relates to O'Neill's behaviour in the immediate aftermath of the match, rather than his critical comments

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 146
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 9/4/2009 2:03:25 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

Quite where that joke of a referee got 5 fucking minutes from is beyond me though.

Irrelevant considering we scored after 3 minutes extra time though.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 147
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 12/4/2009 1:57:26 PM   
Goodfella

You lot watching this, I've tuned in, should be an absolutely cracking game. Like both sides I have to say.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 148
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 14/4/2009 9:47:02 AM   
tftrman

Was at Villa Park for this on Sunday, absolutely great game. We were shite for the first 25 minutes but were by far the better team after that. Howard Webb was awful, as usual.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 149
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/4/2009 10:32:44 PM   
Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Irrelevant considering we scored after 3 minutes extra time though.

The game should have been over by then. 3 minutes was pushing it. Seriously, even as a United fan there is no way in hell you can honestly say that 5 minutes is ever warranted. Especially not in that game.

Traitor

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI