Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 10/2/2009 1:29:50 PM   
matthewforan

It's great for Milner too, at Newcastle he just seemed to have stalled after a great start at Leeds. Fantastic goal on saturday, and you all know that I don't need any convincing on MoN hope he stays for a long time to come.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 91
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 12/2/2009 9:04:26 PM   
HIroProtagonist

New Season ticket prices announced:
http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/staticFiles/82/31/0,,10265~143746,00.pdf

460 for the lower Trinity Road seats - I gotta say I'm really, really tempted to get a season ticket for 2009/10, as opposed to just popping down to Villa park every now and then (I've been 5 times so far this season) - I think 'tis time to put my wallet where my mouth is, and throw down some money, to support my team. I used to go to Villa Park week-in-week out, but that was back in the days when we had Savo & Dwight up front, so it's been a while

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 92
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 13/2/2009 7:29:23 PM   
matthewforan

That's not a bad price at all for EPL. They'd be the team i'd go to watch if I were living in England.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 93
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 13/2/2009 8:57:46 PM   
HIroProtagonist

I'm definitely tempted - What makes it easier, is you can split the cost across 4 payments, so I could pay for it monthly, which would have less impact on the ol' bank account.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 94
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 17/2/2009 8:00:23 PM   
Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIroProtagonist

I'm definitely tempted - What makes it easier, is you can split the cost across 4 payments, so I could pay for it monthly, which would have less impact on the ol' bank account.

Looking at it I think that's just renewals. That is a good deal though, and if you paid it off at 115 a month it'd be paid for in 4 months. But like I say, it looks like renewals rather than new sales.

Might be something to use the credit card for though............

Traitor

Post #: 95
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 18/2/2009 9:01:35 AM   
tftrman

Anyone else think MON is making more of Heskey's England involvement than necessary? Yes, i'm sure it's annoying a player getting further injured when he shouldn't have played in the first place but we were playing incredibly well before he came along and can do without him.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 96
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 18/2/2009 11:16:16 AM   
The Lensman

I'm going to the Villa tonight (My first experience!) should be fun.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 97
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 18/2/2009 9:47:31 PM   
J_C_VAN_DAMME

Cant believe we drew.  We dominated them in the 2nd half.  Fingers crossed for an ass kicking for Chelsea.

Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 98
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/2/2009 9:35:52 AM   
tftrman

The way Collymore was going on last night you'd think Wagner Love was the 2nd coming of Christ.

(in reply to J_C_VAN_DAMME)
Post #: 99
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/2/2009 11:15:18 AM   
Rinc

How do you Villa fans want your team to do in Europe this season? Do you want to go far or would you rather drop out and concentrate on the league?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 100
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/2/2009 12:04:35 PM   
The Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

The way Collymore was going on last night you'd think Wagner Love was the 2nd coming of Christ.

He was pretty good when he got the ball. Him and the number 17 were good combination

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 101
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/2/2009 12:16:57 PM   
tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Lensman

quote:

He was pretty good when he got the ball. Him and the number 17 were good combination

I completely agree but the praise was very excessive. When they were going, "do you think he meant that?" when he did the double drag back on the ball - no, he didn't mean to lose control at the end of it.

Rinc - if I had a choice between winning the uefa cup and finishing 3rd in the league, I'd take the league position any day. More likely to attract bigger players if we're in the Champions League than winning the uefa.

(in reply to The Lensman)
Post #: 102
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/2/2009 12:23:12 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

It a shame to say the least but thanks to UEFA uneven handling of the UEFA cup it really has little more standing than the league cup, possibly even less.
Platini ought to stop worrying about quotas and transfer caps (how the fuck will they work btw), and raise the UEFA cups profile to level with the champions league. 
I'm old enough to remember when the UEFA cup was the more exciting one of the three.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 103
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/2/2009 1:14:49 PM   
Rinc

quote:

Rinc - if I had a choice between winning the uefa cup and finishing 3rd in the league, I'd take the league position any day. More likely to attract bigger players if we're in the Champions League than winning the uefa.

But what about just getting through the next couple of rounds of the Uefa cup? I mean would you rather go out now and concentrate on the league or would you like to go further?

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 104
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/2/2009 7:45:51 PM   
Spengler

^ I'd prefer us to do both. Go as far as we can in Europe, but not at the expense of the league.

I was at the game last night, and I don't know what game some other people were watching - MON said we were 'terrific,' BBC website seemed to think CSKA made a good fist of it and The Daily Mail seemed to think Ashley played well.

We were ok. Compared to how we can play, average. We have to bear in mind that was a weakened team somewhat - Laursen, Cuellar, Sidwell, Milner all missing, but still. This is the round where it gets serious, and for my money only two players on the field - Gardner and Petrov - actually wanted it. Carew was lazy, and the only decent thing he did all night was score. Him and Gabby both missed sitters (Gabby 2 of them) and sometimes even Barry was giving away sloppy balls. Ashley tried his best, but it wasn't really going for him. He didn't have a good game. Moscow really didn't have that much about them, and we outplayed them. We just didn't take our chances - we should have won that game, and comfortably.

Gardner should have been man of the match.

I guess we'll just have to hope that with Heskey, Sidwell, Milner and maybe Cuellar returning for the away leg we can be stronger and faster, and play to our potential. If we can go and scrape a 1 - 0, that'll be good enough for me.

Also hoping for a decent result on Saturday!!

< Message edited by Spengler -- 19/2/2009 7:48:43 PM >

Traitor

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 105
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 20/2/2009 11:00:57 PM   
foz

MO'N really doesn't like F365 very much, does he?

Another month, another apology, more damages paid, and this is for the letters page this time so they didn't even say anything...

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 106
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 21/2/2009 10:22:40 AM   
matthewforan

MON took on the press all the time when he was in Scotland. It's brilliant that he just doesn't lie down and take it from the hacks at the red tops. Shame that Villa couldn't take a win to Russia and sadly I doubt that they'll get into the next round. But I've been wrong before.

It all depends on which Chelsea show up, the most I can see Villa getting is a draw. Fingers crossed though that MON has a trick up his sleeve to stuff the Goose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to foz)
Post #: 107
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 24/2/2009 11:51:50 PM   
Spengler

Disappointed about the result at the weekend. I don't think we deserved to win by any stretch of the imagination. But we did not deserve to lose. We had much more of the ball in the second half, trouble was we just didn't take our chances again. We were good for a draw, and if Ashley's free kick was just an INCH lower, it would have been.

Oh well, on to Moscow: MON's left a good 3/4 of the first team at home, and as such we can't really hope for much. But he's said, what he's doing is prioritising. The league is more important. Saturday's game at home to Stoke City is more important than away at CSKA Moscow. If we can go there, get the win and go through, fine. If not, and we go out, I won't be too bothered. We've set ourselves up for a top 4 finish now, our first in I don't know how many years, certainly this side of the 21st Century. The league is priority number 1, and it's the only thing I really care about.

Traitor

Post #: 108
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 1/3/2009 5:02:55 PM   
HIroProtagonist

OK, I've updated the frontpage, with the results / stats so far, including todays result, which we shoulda won.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 109
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 2/3/2009 10:17:01 AM   
tftrman

Gutted about the result yesterday, it felt more like a loss by the end. It's only a matter of time before Arsenal find their shooting boots again, we really could have done with extending the gap yesterday.

Post #: 110
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 4/3/2009 3:06:12 PM   
tftrman

Well it was obvious the arse would beat the baggies, let's hope we can get a result tonight. City can play well on their day but I think we can do it. I've still to be convinced that Heskey has been a worthwhile buy though. 

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 111
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 4/3/2009 10:12:00 PM   
HIroProtagonist

quote:

Well it was obvious the arse would beat the baggies, let's hope we can get a result tonight. City can play well on their day but I think we can do it. I've still to be convinced that Heskey has been a worthwhile buy though. 

Oh well - so much for that. And of course, it would be Shaun Wright-Philips who'd score against us wouldn't it (I desperately wanted him to join Villa when he was stuck at Chelsea).

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 112
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 5/3/2009 8:45:11 AM   
tftrman

Bloody hell. It may be a defeatist attitude, but I've got a feeling we're going to struggle now to keep that 4th spot. Arsenal have Eduardo, Adebayor, Rosicky and Fabregas to come back from long term injuries. We've got Bouma to come back....The Villa players look tired.

Post #: 113
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 5/3/2009 8:45:53 AM   
Felix

Come on Villa, get it sorted!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 114
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 5/3/2009 9:30:02 AM   
matthewforan

quote:

Bloody hell. It may be a defeatist attitude, but I've got a feeling we're going to struggle now to keep that 4th spot. Arsenal have Eduardo, Adebayor, Rosicky and Fabregas to come back from long term injuries. We've got Bouma to come back....The Villa players look tired.

That was pretty much what I was saying to my dad after the Celtic game last night upon hearing the score, it's Barcelona syndrome do much too soon using the same players every week. Obviously not as much brilliance as there is in the Barca team but hopefully it'll be enough to see through 4th place.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 115
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 5/3/2009 9:36:25 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

Come on Villa, get it sorted!

Its stuck on mate, Villa were never going to be able to keep up the pace with that squad.  The next 4 games are massive in deciding Villas season, Tottenham at home, Liverpool and Man Utd away, and then Everton at home.  However in their favour they do have a nice break now until the 15th.

As posted on the Arsenal board

quote:

To be fair I think people said you haven't got the squad to stay there and so far you have been very fortunate with injuries. However your big first team players are getting into the final stretch and 99% of your first team have played over 33 games, your real big players like Barry, Young and Gabby are closer to 40.  
There is still a lot of the season left and I don't think you have the squad to rest players so do you think they can keep up these levels for 60 games?
You have to keep in mind this is an Arsenal without 3/4 of it's strikeforce (RVP out for the first few months, Adebayor out for large chunks of the season, Walcott crocked, Eduardo hasn't played a league game, Bentner in and out), plus no Cesc or Rosicky or Nasri either. In fact none of the above players (RVP, Ade, Walcott, Eduardo, Bentner, Cesc, Rosicky and Nasri) have started 20 league games this season.  Thats an increadable stat, and its no wonder they are where they find themselves.
I believe Villa may be in a better position now, however if Arsenal start to get their players back (Cesc and Theo are due at the end of march, Eduardo and Ade in a fortnight) while still being in touch with you I believe they will have the fresh players and the experience to catch you. Especially given as you players are now at extreme risk of picking up little niggles and knocks, which you simply don't have the cover for.

Still,  I think the future is bright for Villa especially if they can add a little more quality in depth.  Heskey was a great signing and I think a couple more quality signings will see them really pushing the top 4. 
Who knows once Man City dump Elisa and go for Jose (c'mon we can see it coming) we could finally be back to a big 6.  

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 5/3/2009 9:44:27 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 116
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/3/2009 11:54:04 AM   
HIroProtagonist

I fear we may have bottled it this season - Please, Please don't let this run of form continue, we need to at least get into the UEFA Cup (or whatever they're renaming it to next season)

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 117
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/3/2009 11:57:21 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIroProtagonist

I fear we may have bottled it this season - Please, Please don't let this run of form continue, we need to at least get into the UEFA Cup (or whatever they're renaming it to next season)

You haven't bottled it you just don't have the quality in depth.  That added to the fact that Arsenal have had the world worse injuries this season they were always going to come back strong once they started to return.  
I do wish Martin didn't play quite so direct though.

I'm your huckleberry...

Post #: 118
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/3/2009 12:29:23 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I find it quite funny that some of the media is going "that's it" for Villa now.  They went on the most amazing run.  They've played a lot of games with a small squad.  And they've made strong progress this season.  They might not get a Champions League spot, but suggesting its anything but a positive and progressive season for them is wrong imo.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 119
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/3/2009 12:58:09 PM   
HIroProtagonist

I'm not denying Villa have taken a massive step forward this season, no two ways about it. At the start of the season I was hoping we'd achieve a UEFA Cup qualification (the proper way, as opposed to the Intertoto), but obviously, when you see the kinda run we put together, you do start to get your hopes up.

What does worry me, however, is Gabby. He's had an amazing season so far, and he's played a hell of a lot of games, but it's been a while now since he scored. I'm just hoping Martin and Co are saying the right things to him off the pitch, to keep his morale up.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI