Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 8/12/2008 2:50:47 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Fantastic result yesterday. It was brilliant to see us snatch a victory right at the end after conceding so late on. I'm generally quite reserved when I'm watching the football on TV (unless I'm drunk down the pub!) but when Young scored our third I was jumping around and shouting on my own! I might have to try and get up to Goodison for this fixture next year as the last two have been full of drama!

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 61
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 8/12/2008 2:55:10 PM   
matthewforan

I watched the game yesterday and it was great, it was great to see Young score that winner. Although it was a 50/50 split with me as both managers are ex-Celts.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 62
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 18/12/2008 12:27:27 PM   
tftrman

Last night highlighted how lacking in strength our squad is, once you get past the first teamers. I pray Stoke take Moron Harewood off our hands in January.

Post #: 63
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/12/2008 10:03:26 AM   
Hardcore Raver

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

Last night highlighted how lacking in strength our squad is, once you get past the first teamers. I pray Stoke take Moron Harewood off our hands in January.

True. I can't say I was too bothered abut losing though, seeing as how we were already through, and I would have rather finished third like we did than finish second and have to face one of the Champions League teams. I also think that playing the away leg second suits us as we tend to play better away from home. I think we want to avoid CSKA Moscow, Standard Liege and Udinese, but the other three possibilities (Metalist Kharkiv, Wolfsburg, St Etienne) shouldn't be too much of a problem so long as we start playing a strong team in this competition.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 64
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/12/2008 12:38:32 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Well, CSKA Moscow, probably the hardest tie we could have got. Oh well, if we want to win it we'll have to beat teams like that anyway. If we do get through we'll have to play either Spurs or Shakhtar Donetsk. Hopefully Spurs as I'd be more confident about us winning that one.

Post #: 65
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 26/12/2008 7:19:53 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Jesus Christ, they've gotta stop doing that! I'm not sure if my heart can take many more late Villa goals! For the first time I'm actually starting to believe that we could finish in the top four. Apart from a 20 minute spell at the start of the second half in this match, we've been comfortably the better side in the two Villa Arsenal games and I honestly believe our team is better than theirs. As long as our key players don't pick up any long term injuries I see no reason why we can't finish ahead of Arsenal.

Post #: 66
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 26/1/2009 4:40:28 PM   
tftrman

I can't believe no one has commented on us paying 3.5 million on a striker who can't score goals. And I don't want to hear any bollocks about him offering more than goals - HE CAN'T SCORE GOALS, we've already got a stiker like that in Harewood. Does this mean Carew will fall down the pecking order? Cos I'd choose Carew over Heskey every single day of the week.

Post #: 67
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 27/1/2009 10:39:57 AM   
Hardcore Raver

I reckon Heskey will be alright for us to be honest. His scoring record is not that bad. I think he's got a record of about one goal in every four games. Obviously for a striker you'd want that to be a bit better, but to say that he can't score goals is a little unfair, and he is much better than Harewood. Yes, Carew is a better player, but now we have three Premier League standard strikers, whereas we've had to cope with just two until now. I don't think 3.5m is too much to pay for that.

It will be interesting to see how he fits into the team once Young is back from suspension though, because at the moment I can't think of any of our midfielders who should be dropped. I guess it will be either Petrov or Sidwell but they've both been good for us this season, Petrov especially, so it will be unfair on either of them.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 68
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 27/1/2009 11:25:09 AM   
matthewforan

Personally I'm surprised that Villa didn't go for Doyle from Reading he's not only good at holding up the ball but has good pace and scores a shed load of goals. But MoN knows what he likes in a team he did the same when he was at Celtic, hope it works out and I think it will. I just find it a bit strange that Villa would pay over 3m for someone free in the summer.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 69
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 27/1/2009 11:38:12 AM   
Rinc

It's a good deal and if you'd waited till the Summer it's possible another club like Liverpool would've come in for him. I can't imagine Heskey starting and one of the midfielders being dropped, afterall would MoN really change his entire formation for Heskey? I doubt it. I expect he's more of an alternative to Carew who has injury problems. MoN always likes a big man alongside Agbonlahor and when it's not Carew it'll be Heskey. Harewood isn't good enough for a top 4 side but i suppose he's not a bad alternative if there's injury problems.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 70
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 27/1/2009 12:25:39 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I am so hoping that Villa break the top 4. 

For one I don't think its healthy for the Premier League and competition that we are stuck looking at the same names each year at the top of the table.  Secondly, O'Neill seems to have assembled a team that has youth (and English youth) on its side and he and Lerner have managed to achieve this with a lot more class than certain teams who are pushing for the top 4. 

Good luck to Villa.  I don't care which of the 4 they push out, but just hope they can pull it off.  With regards to Heskey, I'd be fairly willing to trust in MON's judgement.  3M sounds a good deal to me if he can help secure that spot and while not a goal-scoring legend I think he offers an option if/when Carew is injured, or coming off the bench to put a bit of physical pressure on teams and hold the ball up for the midfield to break forwards.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 71
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 27/1/2009 12:29:06 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Well we've recently been playing 4-3-3/4-5-1 with Agbonlahor supported by Young and Milner on the wings. I guess we'll be switching back to a 4-4-2 now, with Heskey/Carew partnering Agbonlahor. I think it's going to be Sidwell who's going to make way, which is a shame as he's been playing well, but Petrov has been outstanding for us this season, and we always miss Barry's left foot when he doesn't play. The only other possibility would be to play three across the back, but I would be uncomfortable with us doing that while Laurson is out with an injury, and with Bouma hopefully returning soon, we'll have a very good back four again, even without Laurson.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 72
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 27/1/2009 9:59:24 PM   
matthewforan

Well 3 points, with the new boy getting on the score sheet well done to them.

Martin O'Neill, Martin O'Neill, Martin O'Neill, Martin O'Neill, Martin O'Neill, Martin O'Neill, Martin O'Neill (repeat until voice is sore)

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 73
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 28/1/2009 9:33:19 AM   
tftrman

Ahem, yes, well, I bloody knew that big lump was going to make me look like a liar!  

Post #: 74
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 29/1/2009 10:57:01 PM   
Spengler

You know what? When Martin O'Neill writes and autobiography, I'm buying that shit. Hopefully he'll let up with his secrets of how he's become so successful. Consider the evidence: He takes Leicester through two(?) promotions, and turns them into a top 6 Premiership side, winning 2 league cups along the way. Of course, as soon as he leaves, Leicester capitulate. He moves to Celtic. He manages to wrestle the SPL title out of Rangers' grasp for the first time in how many years. He takes some time off, and during which he is approached for the England Manager's job, which he makes quite clear he is interested in. Instead, the FA give it to Middlesbrough (woohoo) manager Steve McLaren, and look how that turns out. Meantime, Randy Lerner buys Villa, and takes on MON. England come calling again, but O'Neill tells em right where to stick it.

Now with Villa - Martin O'Neill walked into Villa at the end of the 2005/2006 season, with the club having finished 16th in the table under David O'Leary, and promised European football in 2 years. Everyone laughed. Who's laughing now? In just three seasons, O'Neill has turned the club from relegation candidates to Champion's League challengers. And we are that, as respected pundits and commentators and journalists are starting to talk about this in a very real way. And how has he done this? By spending 15, 20, 30 million on one player? No. With his natural astuteness and ability to spot talent and nurture it. And it shows. Villa scored so many goals in the Premiership last season, on United and Chelsea hit more, and they were first and second respectively. We're also being touted as the most exciting attacking side in the league, and the greatest prospect for the future of English football. With a squad that could boast 10 English players in its starting line up and still beat most other teams in the league, along with our great manager and owner - a true lesson in how to run a football club by a billionaire - and our partnership with children's charity Acorns, the future certainly looks as bright as the present.

I have never been more proud and happy of being a Villa fan as I am right now.

Traitor

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 75
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 29/1/2009 11:11:30 PM   
Mr Grady

Absolutely,

I was listening to Tim Lovejoy on the wireless last night and he was saying how much he would love to see Villa finish in the top 4.  Mainly for the reason of putting an end to the theory that spending doesn't always equal success and that good management and nurture are the key.

It is great to be in this position and i'm loving every moment of it.  And of course it's great for England too.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 76
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 29/1/2009 11:26:37 PM   
matthewforan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Grady

Absolutely,

I was listening to Tim Lovejoy on the wireless last night and he was saying how much he would love to see Villa finish in the top 4.  Mainly for the reason of putting an end to the theory that spending doesn't always equal success and that good management and nurture are the key.

It is great to be in this position and i'm loving every moment of it.  And of course it's great for England too.

I like Villa you all know I do but you have spent a shit load of money, okay I know that Spurs, Newcastle and a few other teams have outspent you by millions but you've still got to hold your hands up and say that it is down to money too.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 77
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 30/1/2009 9:24:43 AM   
Rinc

Curtis Davies - 8m
Carlos Cuellar - 7.8m
Steve Sidwell - 5m
Luke Young - 5m
Brad Friedel - 2m
Emile Heskey - 3.5m
James Milner - 10m
Nicky Shorey - 4m
Marlon Harewood - 4m
Zat Knight - 3.5m
Stilian Petrov - 6.5m
Ashley Young - 9.65m
Nigel Reo-Coker - 7.5m

Total: 81.5m

Now i really like Aston Villa and i'm sure a lot people agree with me that they're a lot of people's second team in the PL because of the way they are run and because O'Neill is manager. But they have sent a lot of money in 3 and a half years and only recouped about 13m. So to say they haven't spent anything is a lie. However, that's not to say they haven't done a great job though because anyone can spend money (looking at you Spurs), but it takes a good manager and a good club to spend it wisely and Villa have done that.

I'd love them to finish in the top 4 (mnot at our expense though!)

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

Post #: 78
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 30/1/2009 7:58:58 PM   
Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Curtis Davies - 8m
Carlos Cuellar - 7.8m
Steve Sidwell - 5m
Luke Young - 5m
Brad Friedel - 2m
Emile Heskey - 3.5m
James Milner - 10m
Nicky Shorey - 4m
Marlon Harewood - 4m
Zat Knight - 3.5m
Stilian Petrov - 6.5m
Ashley Young - 9.65m
Nigel Reo-Coker - 7.5m

Now i really like Aston Villa and i'm sure a lot people agree with me that they're a lot of people's second team in the PL because of the way they are run and because O'Neill is manager. But they have sent a lot of money in 3 and a half years and only recouped about 13m. So to say they haven't spent anything is a lie. However, that's not to say they haven't done a great job though because anyone can spend money (looking at you Spurs), but it takes a good manager and a good club to spend it wisely and Villa have done that.

But that's in the past 2, 3 seasons though. Most teams will spend that in one. Haven't Spurs spent 160m in 2 seasons or something stupid like that?

Traitor

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 79
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 2/2/2009 12:42:24 PM   
emogeek

Bit of sad news - Paul Birch has died aged 46

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7864941.stm

The Fear Of Blood Tends To Create Fear For The Flesh

Have you ever been halfway through eating a horse and then realised you weren't as hungry as you thought you were?

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 80
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 3/2/2009 7:36:07 PM   
matthewforan

Yeah I saw that too, that's what the third former player to have passed away so far this year. Thoughts go to his family and friends.

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to emogeek)
Post #: 81
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 4/2/2009 12:52:58 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spengler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Curtis Davies - 8m
Carlos Cuellar - 7.8m
Steve Sidwell - 5m
Luke Young - 5m
Brad Friedel - 2m
Emile Heskey - 3.5m
James Milner - 10m
Nicky Shorey - 4m
Marlon Harewood - 4m
Zat Knight - 3.5m
Stilian Petrov - 6.5m
Ashley Young - 9.65m
Nigel Reo-Coker - 7.5m

But that's in the past 2, 3 seasons though. Most teams will spend that in one. Haven't Spurs spent 160m in 2 seasons or something stupid like that?

Apart from Spurs (who sell a lot of players as well) and the odd other season (Man City, Chelsea really), no other team spends that much in a season. The reason i posted the figures was because Mr Grady said Villa's success put paid to the theory that spending money equals success. Except Villa are actually one of the biggest spenders in the league and don't recoup much back.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 82
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 7/2/2009 7:45:32 PM   
HIroProtagonist

I've been a bad, bad Villa fan - neglecting this thread, and not updating the first post with the fixtures / results / league position etc. However, I'm supposed to be getting re-connected to the 'net on Monday, so that'll free up the time I need to update everything (he types, hopefuly)

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 83
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 7/2/2009 11:10:04 PM   
matthewforan

Another nice win for Villa today. I might just be a little bias but what was the difference between Lampard's red card last sunday to Young's against Middlesbough?

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 84
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 8/2/2009 10:43:17 AM   
Spengler

Brilliant result yesterday, especially given that Hull held Chelski to a draw, which put us 2 clear in 3rd! All's we have to do now is get a result against them in 2 weeks time (a win, maybe? Why not!) and we're there.

Although I still have my fears and doubts about us seriously finishing in the top 4 - I'll only be really convinced that it's possible when it happens.

Traitor

Post #: 85
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 8/2/2009 11:42:48 AM   
HIroProtagonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spengler

Brilliant result yesterday, especially given that Hull held Chelski to a draw, which put us 2 clear in 3rd! All's we have to do now is get a result against them in 2 weeks time (a win, maybe? Why not!) and we're there.

Although I still have my fears and doubts about us seriously finishing in the top 4 - I'll only be really convinced that it's possible when it happens.

That's what's bothering me - There are a lot of fans & pundits actually talking about us winning the league - It's nice (and of course, mathematically possible) but everyone needs to calm down a bit - the target needs to be Champions league, keep Barry, add some depth to the squad during the summer, and then we'll see about achieving a higher finish than 4th.

Still, 'tis nice to dream

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 86
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 8/2/2009 9:39:14 PM   
Spengler

I don't think we'll win the league. Our development's been great, sure - within 3 seasons going from relegation contenders to Champion's League hopefuls is good by anyone's guess. But it's not possible right now. If we continue to develop this way, 4, 5 years' time, why not? I just hope O'Niell stays with us forever, if I'm honest. Because he's already built something great, and is building something even better for the future.

Saying that though, we're undefeated in what is it, 12 league games? I was seriously disappointed back in November after we lost 2 league games in a week to opposition that we should have beaten. But that seems to have been the catalyst for our season, and since then we've been in sparkling form. 5 wins out of 6 since drawing with Arsenal on Boxing Day is a brilliant run. Let's just hope we can keep it going.

I will say though, while it's nice to be involved with European competition and the FA cup and whatever, I don't want it to come at the expense of the league. If we got to the FA Cup final, but lost our place in the top 4, I wouldn't be happy. All I'd be able to think would be that yes, while we may have done well in the cup, we've fucked up our season. Top 4 finish first, THEN cups. The ONLY competition I care about is the league.

Traitor

Post #: 87
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 9/2/2009 9:47:20 AM   
Professor Moriarty

What is that now, 7 away wins in a row?

I must admit that for all the great work he did at Leicester I wondered if he still had it after being out of the game for a while and lets face it, its not easy to tell how good a manager you are managing one of the top 2 in Scotland.

Fantastic stuff, with the great benefit of some wonderful players coming through to the England squad now. Maybe Micah Richards and one or two others should go there for the career boost

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 88
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 9/2/2009 3:25:08 PM   
HIroProtagonist

quote:

Micah
quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

What is that now, 7 away wins in a row?

I must admit that for all the great work he did at Leicester I wondered if he still had it after being out of the game for a while and lets face it, its not easy to tell how good a manager you are managing one of the top 2 in Scotland.

Fantastic stuff, with the great benefit of some wonderful players coming through to the England squad now. Maybe Micah Richards and one or two others should go there for the career boost

I wouldn't mind that happening, truth be told

You know, the more I think about it, the more I've regretted not getting a season ticket this season. Sure I've been to a fair few matches, but I wish I coulda been to more - I'm currently saving up for a new HD tele - I think I might have to opt for a smaller one, so that I can use the rest of the money to get a season ticket for the 09 / 10 season.

As for where Villa are gonna finish. It's definitely nice to hear people (including Ferguson) talk about us as title challengers, but as Spengler said - we need to focus on the reality of the situation - securing that 4th spot is more important than trying anything else, and as far as I'm concerned, it's only secure when the maths proves it

Still - Villa, Premiership Champions 2008/09 - it does have a nice ring to it.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 89
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 10/2/2009 1:26:08 PM   
Professor Moriarty

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/7880957.stm

Possibly the most sensible interview I've heard from a player in some time. Just an amazing advertisement for any English player to join Aston Villa and move their career on. If I were any of the likes of Huddlestone, Jenas, Pennant, Richards, etc. etc. who think they should be doing better than they are I'd be sending my agent on bended knees to have a chat with MON and get me into that team.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI