Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 3/9/2008 4:06:25 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Check out this article from the Times website:

The soul of Aston Villa in 50 moments (click)

Reading that makes me proud to support this great club!

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 31
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 4/9/2008 1:30:42 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardcore Raver

I love number 9

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 32
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 5/9/2008 8:36:09 AM   
tftrman

I read in the transfer rumours section of the bbc website today that MON is interested in Joey Barton. I really hope it's a rumour and nothing more.

Post #: 33
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 5/9/2008 9:47:00 AM   
Hardcore Raver

We won't sign him. We've already got Barry, Petrov, Reo-Coker, Gardner, Sidwell, Salifou and Osbourne as centre midfielders so it's not like we're short in that area. Pointless lie made up by a tabloid paper to fill space that they can get away with because everyone will have forgotten about it come the next transfer window.

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 34
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 5/9/2008 11:30:17 AM   
HIroProtagonist

I read the Joey Barton rumor as well, on the BBCi Sports Gossip thingy

I know that the only way it'd be true is if Martin O'Neil, and everyone else at the club had some kinda brain freeze, but joking aside, if that thug signs a Villa contract, I'm never setting foot in Villa Park again.

Last Five Films at the Cinema:
True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 35
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 15/9/2008 11:58:13 AM   
HIroProtagonist

So, Tottenham tonight. I'm not gonna make a prediction, given what happened the last time I made one (before the Stoke City game), but I'm quietly confident we're gonna come away with more points than we go into the game with.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 36
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 15/9/2008 10:28:30 PM   
Mr Grady

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardcore Raver

Very good.

Great result tonight BTW,

Gooo On.  Another 3 points to take from the baggies on Sunday makes it a good start so far.

Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends

'My wife has an ass in her cock in the drive way'

Post #: 37
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 15/9/2008 10:48:45 PM   
matthewforan

Good win for Villa tonight if it hadn't been for that slip at Stoke it would be a perfect season so far (i'm saying a draw against Liverpool is a good result). MON is doing us Celtic fans proud, good luck against WBA at the weekend.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to Mr Grady)
Post #: 38
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/9/2008 8:35:06 AM   
pauljthomas

Another great result for the 'Dark Horses'. We've got a busy week ahead, Lena Lovich on Thurs & Baggies on Sunday-luckily we've got the strength in depth this season.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 39
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/9/2008 11:57:50 AM   
HIroProtagonist

Another good result last night - 4th in the league - If only the Premier League could finish now, I think we'd all be happy

Definitely agree with paul on the forthcoming fixtures - Once the Litex Lovech match kicks off, we've got 7 matches in the space of a month, including the big match (at least as far as me and my Dad are concernced) against the Baggies - A draw, or God forbid, a loss, isn't worth thinking about - We need to go to the Hawthornes, and win.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think we Villa fans might look back at September / October as the making / breaking of our season.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to pauljthomas)
Post #: 40
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 18/9/2008 3:35:42 PM   
jonson

Eeek! 1-0 down to Litex Lovech, whoever the fuck they are.

Good luck though.
The last time we were in Europe (Leicester) under God himself we got knocked out in the first round to Atletico Madrid. We drew 1-1 away (Ian "Gypo" Marshall getting the goal) then Gary Parker was sent off in the home leg for taking a free kick early, and we lost.
The referee was disgraceful that night and robbed us of the win.
I was in the directors box on that night and O'Neill stormed intot he lounge area after the game in the worst mood I've ever seen. The then-chariman tried to console him and he just glared at all the corporate guests (myself included) and gave us a look of compete and utter contempt. Despite the fact we were never really going to win the UEFA Cup, MO'N was distraught to be knocked out. You can't buy that kind of passion.
Hopefully (despite not being a Villa fan) you can go all the way this time.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 41
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/9/2008 8:13:41 AM   
pauljthomas

3-1 flattered us to be fair. I definately won't be attending the home leg of this on as it will be a bore draw & worse than the FH game.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 42
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/9/2008 10:19:45 AM   
Hardcore Raver

Pretty shocking performance really, but I'll definitely take 3-1 away from home. The home fixture should just be a formality now, so unless something horrific happens we'll be making the group stages.

I'm looking forward to Sunday now and a real West Midlands derby between two proper football clubs, not like when we play that blue shite. I'm going to be watching it with my Mum and Stepdad who're both Baggies so I hope we hammer them!

Post #: 43
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/9/2008 10:28:06 AM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Eeek! 1-0 down to Litex Lovech, whoever the fuck they are.

Sounds like some evil Bond henchwoman who wears PVC and carries round a big tub of KY Jelly. 

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 44
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 19/9/2008 3:15:00 PM   
HIroProtagonist

Bleedin' PVR - I programmed this to record, with every intention of keeping away from knowing the result, until I got back home, when I'd watch it live.

For some reason it recorded Channel 4 instead - so I didn't actually get to see the match, only read about the result online - from what I've been reading, the score definitely flatters our performance - 3-1 against a bunch of part-timers, with only 9 men on the field?

Still, it's better than it could have been, and hopefully there won't be any slip-ups on the return leg.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 45
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 22/9/2008 11:42:05 AM   
HIroProtagonist

Massive, Massive result yesterday - For a start I come from a family of WBA fans, so to go to The Hawthornes and beat 'em was pretty sweet - especially as I was there amongst the Villa travelling fans, and I know the old man was there with the WBA fans (he's a season ticket holder).

Really we shoulda won this more comfortably - it easily coulda been more like 4-1 or 5-1 - given how quickly we got the two goals, I gotta say, I was hoping for us to run the riot act against 'em.

Still, 'tis a really good result - we're still 4th, and given the fixtures we've got, I'm pretty optomistic we can keep this up for the next few matches.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 46
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 25/9/2008 8:26:49 AM   
Hardcore Raver

Well that's just typical. First game I make this season and we lose to a Championship side. We were pretty awful really but still had enough chances to win it. Petrov had a decent enough game and Young showed flashed of what he's capable of, but apart from that the players just didn't look interested. Barry, especially, was absolutely dire, and Harewood seems to be playing with less than no confidence. Gardner and Osbourne didn't exactly stake a claim on the first team, nor did Cuellar or Knight. Guzan flapped at a cross in the build up to their goal, but did make a decent save later on. It was just pretty poor really and hopefully we'll improve in time for Saturday.

Post #: 47
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 25/9/2008 10:51:26 AM   
HIroProtagonist

What the fuck? Seriously - we're supposed to be challenging for the Champions League within the next few years, and we go and put in performances like the one last night, against QPR? We keep this kinda routine up, and we're gonna be battling to stop out of the bottom 3.

OK, so perhaps it aint all that bad, but I said before that the run of games in September & October would be important - we got off to a good start, with away wins against Tottenham, Litex Lovech, and perhaps most importantly (as the product of a WBA supporting family) against WBA. Hopefully, this aint gonna be the start of a blip in terms of performance - we need to put this behind us, focus on the second leg against Litex Lovech, as well as focusing on the Premier League.

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 48
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 25/9/2008 1:28:03 PM   
pauljthomas

I don't have a problem with getting knocked out of this cup, we fielded a below strength team so what did we expect?

My problem though, is down to the positive comments by MON stating that he would take this cup seriously. It's quite plain that we didn't. We didn't field a team that could beat QPR on our own turf so we obviously are not taking this cup seriously & any good result last night will have only been a bonus-simple.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 49
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 28/9/2008 12:58:27 PM   
HIroProtagonist

I've just got one thing to say:

3rd baby, yeah!!!

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 50
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 30/9/2008 8:31:46 PM   
Spengler

^ Hell yes. It's not often you get to rub Man Utd fans' noses in it.

I'm not arsed about going out of the league cup. I think tbh, yes, we fielded a second string side, yes, we didn't play very but yes, we should have won the game. They scored one of their two efforts on target, and we had better chances and should have taken them. The game against Sunderland on Saturday was more important, as is the fixture (if not the actual game) on Thursday is also more important. We're in it for the Premier League, as far as I'm concerned, and European football was part of MON's 5 year plan (which he achieved in 2 years).

Chelsea is obviously going to be our biggest test so far of the season. Liverpool didn't really give anything to that game, and they're only where they are cos they've got easy goals late in the game, and played a below - par man Utd side and a truly appalling Everton. Chelsea will be the biggest test to our top four credentials so far, however we've got a decent record against them - 4 points and 6 goals against them last season, including game of the season on boxing day, the only team that Mourinho never beat. We should put out our 100% strongest side and while we should always play to win, we should be careful of the slip ups, and conceding goals that we're prone to, and get defensively tight. They were in disarray when we beat them last year, and under Avram Grant at Christmas. This year, they'll be a tougher prospect.

I'd like to see some fringe players on Thursday (yes, I'm going) - like to see Guzan get another game, Gardner aswell, and play Routledge and Salifou from the start in place of Young and, I would say Petrov, but it's quite obvious that Petrov's gonna start. Routledge and Salifou linked up beautifully against Hafnarfjordur, and like that game, we're going into this one knowing we don't have to win. Hell, we could lose and it won't matter a bit.

As long as we don't lose more than 3 - 1.

Traitor

Post #: 51
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 5/10/2008 1:02:34 PM   
HIroProtagonist

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spengler

^ Hell yes. It's not often you get to rub Man Utd fans' noses in it.

I'm not arsed about going out of the league cup. I think tbh, yes, we fielded a second string side, yes, we didn't play very but yes, we should have won the game. They scored one of their two efforts on target, and we had better chances and should have taken them. The game against Sunderland on Saturday was more important, as is the fixture (if not the actual game) on Thursday is also more important. We're in it for the Premier League, as far as I'm concerned, and European football was part of MON's 5 year plan (which he achieved in 2 years).

Chelsea is obviously going to be our biggest test so far of the season. Liverpool didn't really give anything to that game, and they're only where they are cos they've got easy goals late in the game, and played a below - par man Utd side and a truly appalling Everton. Chelsea will be the biggest test to our top four credentials so far, however we've got a decent record against them - 4 points and 6 goals against them last season, including game of the season on boxing day, the only team that Mourinho never beat. We should put out our 100% strongest side and while we should always play to win, we should be careful of the slip ups, and conceding goals that we're prone to, and get defensively tight. They were in disarray when we beat them last year, and under Avram Grant at Christmas. This year, they'll be a tougher prospect.

I'd like to see some fringe players on Thursday (yes, I'm going) - like to see Guzan get another game, Gardner aswell, and play Routledge and Salifou from the start in place of Young and, I would say Petrov, but it's quite obvious that Petrov's gonna start. Routledge and Salifou linked up beautifully against Hafnarfjordur, and like that game, we're going into this one knowing we don't have to win. Hell, we could lose and it won't matter a bit.

As long as we don't lose more than 3 - 1.

Amen to that, although I'm a bit more optomistic, in terms of the score - I think if we do lose, it aint gonna be by that much - realistically, it's gonna be the performance that's more important than the result - although as O;Neil keeps saying, someones gotta beat Chelsea at home, at somepoint

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 52
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 7/10/2008 1:37:26 PM   
pauljthomas

Tough draw-Hamburg, Zilna, Slavia Prague & Ajax-wouldn't mind an away trip to the latter (for football purposes obviously )

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 53
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 7/10/2008 2:54:33 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Ajax (home) - October 23
Slavia Prague (away) - November 6
Zilina (home) - December 4
Hamburg (away) December 17

I think that we can take something from all of those games, except perhaps Hamburg if they continue their current good form. Zilina at home should be a formality and Ajax are nowhere near the European powerhouse they used to be. Slavia Prague away could be a tricky tie but I'm confident of getting at least a draw there. Ideally we want to have guaranteed qualification before the Hamburg game. There are a number of teams in the draw that prove that this is a quality competition. Sure, it's not the Champions League, but it's still of a high standard, and it's great to see Villa competing in it.

Post #: 54
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 4/11/2008 10:55:12 AM   
Hardcore Raver

Well last night's result was pitiful. We had a chance to go third and blew it against the team who were bottom of the league. I just get the feeling that this team doesn't handle pressure well, and until they learn to cope with it better, we don't have a hope of finishing in the top four. Take last season. All we needed to do to secure automatic entry into the UEFA Cup was win our last two games against Wigan and West Ham. We lost to Wigan and Drew with West Ham, and had to rely on the blue shite doing us a favour and beating Blackburn for us to qualify for the Intertoto Cup. And now this season, as soon as people start to think we might realistically challenge for a Champions League position, due to Arsenal's poor form, we fuck up against bottom of the table Newcastle. We should have another chance at the weekend to move above Arsenal, as they have to play Man Utd, and we have Middlesbrough, but with the UEFA Cup game between now and then, I don't know what will happen.

Post #: 55
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 7/11/2008 9:59:21 AM   
Hardcore Raver

Well that was better! Good first half, nervy second half, but we held on so that was the main thing. The players who were brought in did their job well in the main, especially Salifou and Guzan. I was pretty impressed with Sidwell too. I would have taken a draw before the game so to win was a fantastic result. Barring a complete disaster at home against Zilina we will qualify from the group stages now, and with Hamburg beginning to drop off in the Bundesliga there is the real possibility of finishing our group top.

Post #: 56
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 10/11/2008 11:39:18 AM   
Hardcore Raver

Bollocks. Absolute bollocks. If we had won our last two games against, lets be honest, completely shite opposition, we would currently be in third place in the league, five points clear of Man U in fifth and more importantly eight points clear of Everton who are currently our closest challengers for fifth place. We should have been moving away with the big boys, putting a bit of a gap between us and the rest. As it is, thanks to two truly abysmal results, we are only two points above Everton now, and our next two games are Arsenal and Man U. The win over United will probably have given Arsenal a huge confidence boost just in time for our game against them so I wouldn't bet against them dishing out one of their trademark hammerings. Then we've got the United game, which we might as well just not bother with and give them the three points as I can't remember the last time we actually got a result against Man U. Happy times...

Post #: 57
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 16/11/2008 1:41:44 PM   
Hardcore Raver

I might be talking to myself in here but I don't care! Fantastic result and fantastic performance! A thoroughly deserved win away at one of the big four. Let's hope that we give Man United as good a game next week, rather than rolling over for them like we normally do.

Post #: 58
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 22/11/2008 10:27:54 AM   
HIroProtagonist

I haven't had the chance to get online as much recently as I'd have liked - I'm hoping to update the results on the first page as soon as possible - I promise 

True Grit
Never Let Me Go.
The Fighter.
127 Hours.
The Kings Speech.

Post #: 59
RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure - 29/11/2008 4:58:13 PM   
matty_b

So, do Villa not want to actually take that fourth CL spot, or not?

I'd love to see them do it, but they need to be beating the teams below them regularly, if they want to take advantage of Arsenal's wobbly patch. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa '08/09 - The European Adventure Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI