Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Aston Villa - 10/11

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 14/6/2011 10:43:27 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Villa fans shouldn't have chased off McClaren, it would be very funny if they ended up with AM.

Never believe what you read in the papers

You know how I know your gay? You like Coldplay

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 271
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 17/6/2011 6:08:29 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Well it's happened. It makes absolutely no sense but it's happened and we've just got to deal with it. At least he's got Premier League experience. I'll just try to forget that in the two and a half seasons of Premier League experience he's got, he managed to get relegated twice

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to pauljthomas)
Post #: 272
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 17/6/2011 10:53:09 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

The managerial merry-go-round that Villa are running seems quite odd to me.

First we had Martinez, snubbing Villa. Setting aside the fact that he nearly took Wigan down, I'd have thought this would have been a good move for both manager and club. I don't see Randy Lerner as a hire 'em, fire 'em manager and I'd have thought Martinez would have had the chance to build something at Villa, whereas the pressure at Wigan is always going to be to unearth good players for cheap, sell them on for profit and skirt relegation. In any case, everyone seemed to come out of it looking adult and responsible.

So, if the rumours of McLeish to Villa are to be true, its like Villa have decided that being Mr Nice Guy don't work, so let's go right the other way. I guess my questions are a) is it fair that Villa is immediately associated with every manager who quits his job. And b) though I know that manager and player contracts are different, if McLeish did end up joining Villa, would the Villa hierarchy be chuffed if the likes of Young or Downing resigned as a player then took a job with another club a bit after that and no money changed hands.

I don't pretend to understand the rivalry in the area, but it would appear to me that McLeish would be a good appointment for Villa. He's won stuff at both Rangers and Birmingham, and his teams might not be the most thrilling in the world, but he'll make Villa a tight unit. I guess what would scare me is not McLeish's history at Birmingham (after all he was never a player there and his method of resignation was pretty mercenary), but the idea that he might decide to bring a few players with him, making Villa Birmingham in disguise.

Forgive me for saying so, but I don't think anyone but the most rose-tinted of Villa fans can consider the club as anything but a once big club who are now a top half of the Premiership Table team. If, for the sake of argument, you are to take a top 6 in the Premiership based on recent spending and performance (Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, Tottenham). Then below that you have Everton and Villa, who I'd rank similarly slightly above other teams. So, the realistic challenge for a manager is really a top 8 finish and a cup run.

Not a chance. His style of football is woeful, Birmingham were one of the most negative teams ever to grace the Prem in the season just gone. He simply (regardless of being Ex Blues) is not good enough for Villa.

What bothers me is all the media nonsense being spouted that Lerner didn't approach McLaren because he listened to the fans (if he's that much of a pushover then he's not the man for the job-ergo that story was utter crap), also that Martinez turned us down? how could he if he never even spoke to us-again nonsense. He chose to be committed to Wigan (fair play to him) & Whelan shouted his mouth off to get some free publicity.

Villa under Lerner, like to do their business privately. The only facts we have are that Villa are managerless & we'll know who the next boss is when he's finally unveiled signing on the dotted line.

Oh well, he's here now so will have to accept & see what he can do. Was hoping for Foster & Dann before all this news started, at least we've got a bit more weight to entice them to join aswell now.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 273
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 18/6/2011 1:02:13 AM   
boaby

McLeish is a legend up my way. There are very few who still could be after managing Rangers and abandoning Scotland. That's what winning about a dozen trophies, including two European ones gets you. Then you add in the 70-odd caps and 3 world cups with Scotland.

As a manager he's seemed to follow the same pattern:

Start of really well - getting the best out of players already there when he arrived. 2nd with Motherwell. Decent with hibs. Any old muppet can win stuff with Celtic and Rengers these days. Then he did well with Scotland - winning in Paris was amazing - before p!ssing off when some diddy English club came sniffing about.

Same at Brum. Decent with what he had. Then some properly shady signings.

Just don't let him choose who to sign and you'll be fine. Till something better comes along. Then he'll bail. Again.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 274
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 25/6/2011 1:05:36 PM   
Hardcore Raver

Well Young's gone. Cheers Ashley. Good luck and thank you for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYUetD6idcs

Up there with Beckham's freekick against Greece as my favourite moment in football ever. I don't think I've ever gone as crazy over a single goal in all my life. And I was sat watching it at home on my own!

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 275
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 7/7/2011 11:16:34 AM   
Ell

Is it wishful thinking to hope that Eck plays at the very least two upfront?

It's hard to avoid the possibility of him potentially transferring the strategy of a 4-5-1 Birmingham City side to our lot. Hopefully just nerves and I'll be proven wrong.

I guess the friendlies organised could potentially be an insight into his approach. I'm praying he don't send out sides to play deep - as last season demonstrated we cannot do that and need to take the game to the opposition. Surely our victories over Arsenal and Liverpool last season had something to do with the change in emphasis to a more free-flowing 4-3-3 style.

With Ash gone, I think keeping Downing is integral. Considering he's not come out publicly expressing his wish to move, I reckon he's contemplating one more season to see how things go under McLeish. That, or he'll leave for Anfield in the eleventh hour in the same manner Milner did.

My dream team for us next season:

(442)
GK: Given
DF: Young, Dunne, Collins, Clark
MF: Albrighton, Petrov, Makoun, Downing
FW: Bent, Agbonlahor

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 276
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 14/7/2011 11:16:08 AM   
Ell

Downing deal with Liverpool all but done.

Another 20 million in the kitty - hopefully we'll strengthen with a left-sided supply man for Bent, a new keeper, and a solid central midfielder. I sincerely hope we do replace and strengthen and we don't continue to be the feeder club for the heavy hitters of the PL.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 277
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 15/7/2011 3:54:54 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ell

Downing deal with Liverpool all but done.

Another 20 million in the kitty - hopefully we'll strengthen with a left-sided supply man for Bent, a new keeper, and a solid central midfielder. I sincerely hope we do replace and strengthen and we don't continue to be the feeder club for the heavy hitters of the PL.

Good riddance to the mercenary, at least Young had the balls to say from day one that he was looking to move on. Saying he'll stay even if we got relegated, Liverpool are welcome to him.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 278
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 16/7/2011 3:04:41 PM   
pauljthomas

Great, now Cuellar bid by Rangers accepted. IMO he's better than Dunne & Collins, if anything, let's cut our losses & get rid of Dunne. Last season he was dreadful for the most part.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

Post #: 279
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 19/7/2011 9:47:59 AM   
Ell

Match sharpness permitting, great signing! I'm still surprised he didn't opt for Spurs or Arsenal if I'm honest.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is supposedly holding out for 10M for N'Zogbia after rejecting our first 9M bid - despite only having another year left on his contract. Having said that, we need the replacement out on the wing so I'm sure Whelan will look to milk that situation.

Post #: 280
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 19/7/2011 12:21:14 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ell

Match sharpness permitting, great signing! I'm still surprised he didn't opt for Spurs or Arsenal if I'm honest.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is supposedly holding out for 10M for N'Zogbia after rejecting our first 9M bid - despite only having another year left on his contract. Having said that, we need the replacement out on the wing so I'm sure Whelan will look to milk that situation.

We can walk away, we shouldn't let Whelan mess around with us again. No-one else has gone in for Zog so Whelan will temporarily have egg on his face.

Just for the record, Whelan is a prick.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 281
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 22/7/2011 12:06:38 PM   
DeppBurtonAlliance

With Young and Downing gone Villa need to make a stronger offer for N'Zogbia, and signing Matt Jarvis wouldn't be a bad move either.

Post #: 282
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 29/8/2011 9:27:23 AM   
Professor Moriarty

So, the fans don't like you. Its your first home derby game of the season. What do you do?

Well, from what I could see from the "highlights" you go out and play some of the most drab uninspiring football you can muster. No wonder the place looked half full.

(in reply to DeppBurtonAlliance)
Post #: 283
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 30/8/2011 12:20:54 PM   
pauljthomas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

So, the fans don't like you. Its your first home derby game of the season. What do you do?

Well, from what I could see from the "highlights" you go out and play some of the most drab uninspiring football you can muster. No wonder the place looked half full.

True, but also take into account affordability (this was our 3rd home game in a row-going to a game isn't cheap) & it was on Sky & it was at a ridiculous time of day.

IMO-both teams were solid at the back & neither had enough to break the other team down-we didn't want to lose, neither did Wolves.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 284
RE: The Aston Villa Thread - 28/9/2011 12:50:13 PM   
pauljthomas

Wigan this weekend & I'm predicting..............................a draw

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 285
RE: The Aston Villa Thread - 1/10/2011 5:06:28 PM   
Ell

What a cracking start to the season! Dare I say it, but our performance against Wigan was convincing!

Post #: 286
RE: The Aston Villa Thread - 17/10/2011 12:29:14 PM   
pauljthomas

Villa v Man City wasn't a match, it was a formality. Football has become so boring now, unless your club has billions then what exactly is the point? There is no excitement like their used to be.

I've had it argued to me "would you like it if Villa won the league after spending millions?"-well obviously I'd love us to win the league, but spending that much to buy the league takes the shine off it completely.

BUS WANKERS!!!!

(in reply to HIroProtagonist)
Post #: 287
RE: The Aston Villa Thread - 17/10/2011 12:52:17 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I think you make a very valid point. Didn't see the game, but the report I read indicated that the Villa tactics were not great. From what I recall the two attackers made very few challenges and won only 20% of those. The report then went on to say that the midfield sat deep and the defenders even deeper and meant that City had enough space and time to really press their advantage. They compared this with a higher pressing game that Fulham undertook when they drew 2-2. So, I'll agree that the difference in class between the teams with "unlimited" funds and others is an issue, but it certainly looked with hindsight like McLeish's tactics didn't help, even if I can't help thinking the outcome could have been the same.

Post #: 288
RE: The Aston Villa Thread - 17/10/2011 2:12:16 PM   
directorscut

I don't think you'll win against any team let alone City if you start with Heskey on the right wing.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 289
RE: The Aston Villa Thread - 17/10/2011 2:15:22 PM   
Scott_

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I don't think you'll win against any team let alone City if you start with Heskey on the right wing.

I thought I dreamed this. Is this where England have been going wrong all these years?

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 290
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 17/10/2011 2:39:21 PM   
directorscut

quote:

Villa fans shouldn't have chased off McClaren, it would be very funny if they ended up with AM.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 291
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 3/12/2011 6:34:29 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Fuck me they are shite aren't they.

Expect them to score 3 or 4 now

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 292
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 22/3/2012 12:30:19 PM   
st3veebee

Only realised there was a Sports forum today (let alone a Villa thread). Always been a claret and blues fan: through thick and thin. These are the most depressing days I can remember....sigh

Ex- Blues ginger manager who never proved his worth in the first place, instantly hated, and soon proved this hatred with some shocking displays and now we are languishing near the relegation zone. I doubt we will get relegated but b-l-o-o-d-y hell we need to change up something.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

Post #: 293
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 22/3/2012 1:05:16 PM   
Flatulent_Bob

Wow, that must have been one hell of a BUMP.

If you are going to stay in this thread a while, you might want to bring a good book

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 294
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 22/3/2012 8:09:49 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

If you are going to stay in this thread a while, you might want to bring a good book

I'm really hoping McLeash does the Brum double! Alas, the teams below Villa are a lot worse so I can't see that happening.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 295
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/3/2012 11:48:28 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I see that Villa managed to drop 50 odd million the other year. Should have made some of that back with Downing (and Young) sales, but its still a big load of dosh.

I have to admit, I've pretty much forgotten Villa exist. I don't think I've seen a match of theirs this year. I did see some bits of them earlier in the season and most of it was horrendous and hard to watch.

They don't look as though they can go down, but that could be just a matter of time as I'd say its likely someone will want a goal scorer and fancy Bent and it looks from the figures that Villa need the money. I know a few good Villa fans, so I've nothing against them, but as a neutral I just can't think of a positive thing to say about them.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 296
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/3/2012 2:25:14 PM   
matty_b

They're just...there, aren't they? Like a faded wallpaper no-one can be bothered to replace.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 297
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 23/3/2012 2:47:38 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

They're just...there, aren't they? Like a faded wallpaper no-one can be bothered to replace.

The Everton of The Midlands.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 298
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 26/3/2012 11:59:49 AM   
st3veebee

Another fantastic weekend which Mcleish tried to alleviate some pressure by saying: " Arsenal beat lots of teams so Villa getting beaten isn't that big a deal" or something to that effect. Bloody hell.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 299
RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 - 30/3/2012 3:19:25 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/30032012/58/premier-league-villa-star-petrov-leukaemia.html

Fucking hell. Another situation in the space of three or so weeks where football pales into insignificance. Fingers crossed he makes a good recovery.

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Aston Villa - 10/11 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI