Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dark Knight Rules The Box Office Again

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Dark Knight Rules The Box Office Again Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dark Knight Rules The Box Office Again - 11/8/2008 11:49:05 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Wow - 11/8/2008 11:49:05 AM   
Cian1

I think it will break $500m and settle about the $520m, interesting to see it compared to the Adjusted figures, still a long way down the line compared to them.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 11/8/2008 1:32:29 PM   
hatebox

Unless TDK gets some big Academy Award noms and is re-released next year, Empire should forget about it beating Titanic.

Post #: 3
- 11/8/2008 2:28:54 PM   
Kat113

Most definitely will make it to second but I fear it is unlikely to get to the top spot...I shall however continue to cheer it on in the hope that the shit-tastic adventures of Leo and Kate no longer remains at the pinnacle of movie success.

Post #: 4
Mums & Aunties - 11/8/2008 2:35:41 PM   
Baggins28

Great film but it's not going to touch 'Titantic', It's not got the same broad appeal. Sure the Geeks are more than happy to shell out and see it more than once and the 'Oo Heath Ledgers so dark it obviously affected his personal life 'Heat Magazine' readers' are going to watch it. I don't, However, envision the Mums & Aunties planning their 'Orange Wednesday' around Dark Knight, as they did 'Titantic'?!

Post #: 5
RE: Mums & Aunties - 11/8/2008 2:59:55 PM   
kinge247

Seek and destroy that damned ship of shite, DESTROY BATMAN DESTROY.

(in reply to Baggins28)
Post #: 6
- 11/8/2008 3:06:16 PM   
Hughezy

i don't think that the success of the film has anything to do with all that stupid viral market, i think that it's word of mouth because EVERYONE who's seen it has loved it.

Post #: 7
Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 3:07:25 PM   
take1

I hope to all almighty that this does do titanic, it's just an average flick that made money from a tragic historic event. Plus there is lots of baddies out there that got this on the dwn load, not as easy to do when Titanic was released. Wonder how much it would have done with no dwn loads? Looking forward to the DVD release, I think that will break records, even if there is no extended bits to add in.

Post #: 8
RE: Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 3:17:18 PM   
Rgirvan44

No way does this touch Titanic. That film came out in a time when movies weren't just release windows for the super duper DVD release. It was in the top ten for months. Even a film like Phantom Meance made its money over a long period of time.

Warner Brothers will be wanting this film on DVD before the Christmas holidays so don't expect it to hang around forever.

Still a remarkable achievment considering how the first one did. If there was ever evidence that DVD has changed the system it would be this film.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to take1)
Post #: 9
- 11/8/2008 3:26:57 PM   
abaddon

I hope it does beat Titanic - i really really do - and in an attempt to help it on its way ive started one of those facebook group things - go on join...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=35984092136

Post #: 10
re: part of the plan - 11/8/2008 3:36:30 PM   
Baggins28

...I don't have anything else to add. I just wanted to congratulate take1 on the brilliant use of the word 'baddies' :-)

Post #: 11
Good story, well told... - 11/8/2008 3:48:16 PM   
keyzersaulsie

... holy crap? Will Hollywood take note and make loads of these?

Post #: 12
Awesome Knight - 11/8/2008 4:37:08 PM   
thegodfathers

Remember fellow friends that Titanic came out in december 1997 and remember that there wasnt a blockbuster a week back then as there is now and from memory it slowed down just before oscar then came the nominations then box office went boom, then slowed then oscar night then boom again. It will be intresting to know that if the eventual third is to be made how that will do, and what villain will be used, to me The Riddler is the best choice because he is the most realistic choice to go with, penguin wont show coz Nolan has said 'he's to campy' Catowoman wont be used as warners would have learned from the 2004 stabocale, plus if u think about the viral campaign if the riddler is used it could be genius, answering riddles to get trailers/posters etc

Post #: 13
RE: Awesome Knight - 11/8/2008 5:25:55 PM   
waltham1979

do you rekon someone at the studio will lend me a couple of quid?

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting

(in reply to thegodfathers)
Post #: 14
MEGA MEGA BUCKS - 11/8/2008 5:28:50 PM   
ROTGUT

Good to see "The Dark Knight" doing so well. Not sure if it's got the legs to topple James Cameron's film though.
Batman 3: Darkest Knight!
YES PLEASE!

Post #: 15
Great film but it's not going to touch 'Titantic' - 11/8/2008 5:30:24 PM   
RevolloveR

But it already is dude. It only has to increase it's takings by a third and it's beaten it.

Post #: 16
- 11/8/2008 5:46:57 PM   
muchobenny

just an awesome bastard film

Post #: 17
RE: - 11/8/2008 5:56:58 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: muchobenny

just an awesome bastard film

Haha.  They should use that on the posters!  Couldn't agree more.  Utter brilliance.  Let's just hope WB re-invest to get Nolan and co back for the third.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to muchobenny)
Post #: 18
RE: Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 7:51:57 PM   
monkeyfinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

No way does this touch Titanic. That film came out in a time when movies weren't just release windows for the super duper DVD release. It was in the top ten for months. Even a film like Phantom Meance made its money over a long period of time.

Warner Brothers will be wanting this film on DVD before the Christmas holidays so don't expect it to hang around forever.

Still a remarkable achievment considering how the first one did. If there was ever evidence that DVD has changed the system it would be this film.

I quite literally could not have put it better myself...

So we were going east, all right, which is a total Gerry...

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 19
RE: Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 9:35:49 PM   
Tech_Noir

Why are people so desperate for this to beat Titanic?

Will such an unlikely event really make your life better?

(in reply to monkeyfinger)
Post #: 20
RE: Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 9:54:53 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I think it has to do with the fact that many people on film boards such as this don't like the fact that the biggest two movies ever (adjusted and unadjusted for inflation) are epic romances.

Once upon a time Stars Wars was number one, then Titanic took over and ever since then it has almost been a challange to get another sci-fi/action/comic book movie to rake in more cash.

Never going to happen. Titianic was a once in  50 years kind of event. The big irony here is that it was directed by one of the big sci-fi directors.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 21
RE: Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 10:00:08 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

I think it has to do with the fact that many people on film boards such as this don't like the fact that the biggest two movies ever (adjusted and unadjusted for inflation) are epic romances.

It's getting very tiring, every time any film makes some money it's "Will it beat Shitanic??", etc.

Leave the film alone! It was a great spectacle, made with passion and dedication.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 22
RE: Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 10:16:02 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

It's getting very tiring, every time any film makes some money it's "Will it beat Shitanic??", etc.

Leave the film alone! It was a great spectacle, made with passion and dedication.

The thing is that  Gone With the Wind has actully made more money but you don't see people ragging on that.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 23
RE: Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 10:23:49 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

The thing is that  Gone With the Wind has actully made more money but you don't see people ragging on that.

I still don't buy the whole Gone With The Wind / inflation argument.

The entertainment industry was faaar more diverse and competitive in 1997 than 1930-whatever (hell video was still 30-40 years away).

Anyways, TDK won't make half of what Titanic made worldwide so fanboys should restrain themselves.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 24
RE: Part of the plan - 11/8/2008 10:29:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

I still don't buy the whole Gone With The Wind / inflation argument.

The entertainment industry was faaar more diverse and competitive in 1997 than 1930-whatever (hell video was still 30-40 years away).

Anyways, TDK won't make half of what Titanic made worldwide so fanboys should restrain themselves.

Well Gone with The Wind played for years. There were also I believe a lot more cinema chains around in those days (Remeber all those old cinemas that are now bingo halls?)

Whichever way you want to work it out the two biggest grossing films are epic love stories.

Also without Titanic I doubt Cameron could have convinced anyone to make Avatar the way he envisions.

I am happy the Batman has done so well. Hopefully the studios will see the success of this and Iron Man as evidence that audiences want more than dumb action scenes during the summer months.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 25
RE: Part of the plan - 12/8/2008 5:48:19 AM   
Beatrice Kiddo

quote:

......yes.....yes it will

"They ain't tough enough, smart enough or fast enough. I can hit any bank I want, any time. They got to be at every bank, all the time."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 26
RE: Part of the plan - 12/8/2008 8:54:54 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beatrice Kiddo

quote:

......yes.....yes it will

Then close your eyes and just pretend.

(in reply to Beatrice Kiddo)
Post #: 27
- 12/8/2008 10:14:22 AM   
Hengist

What's happening in the UK market? Will The Dark Knight overtake Mamma Mia!? Don't laugh. If Variety are correct, Mamma Mia! is only just behind Indy 4 in UK BO for the year.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117990340.html?categoryid=19&cs=1

Post #: 28
RE: - 12/8/2008 10:36:20 AM   
matty_b

Who honestly gives a shit how much The Dark Knight makes? Or whether Gone with the Wind or Titanic made the most money? Are people's apprectiations of films so shallow that it matters to them that a particular film makes more than another.

Box Office never has been, and never will be, an indicator of quality.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Hengist)
Post #: 29
Went to see it last night - 12/8/2008 1:06:35 PM   
oldstuff

Started off well, funny in places but I was seriously bored 30 mins before the end. The film dragged on and on and I just don't see the big deal with it. Ledger's Joker was pretty good but people swooning at his feet for it seems completely over the top. I thought the the Harvey Dent role was far better acted although "two face" did seem to look like Imhotep before he gets his skin back. Really preferred Batman Begins!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Dark Knight Rules The Box Office Again Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI