Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 28/8/2008 8:34:49 PM   
Miso_Jace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miso_Jace

I was wondering whose idea 'Capote the Hutt' was I admit, it was rather jarring.

I found him funny in a Shark Attack 3 kinda way.

Haha, yeah, funny in a 'wait, am I really seeing this?' kind of way. Once I started calling him Capote the Hutt instead of Zero he became much more amusing.

Those friends thou hast, and by their adoption tried, Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel!

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 151
RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 28/8/2008 8:38:51 PM   
Scabby

I just remembered that I forgot to mention in my review how annoying Tano was when she kept calling R2-D2 "D-Twoooey". She's the new Jar Jar.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to Miso_Jace)
Post #: 152
RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 28/8/2008 8:41:44 PM   
Miso_Jace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

I just remembered that I forgot to mention in my review how annoying Tano was when she kept calling R2-D2 "D-Twoooey". She's the new Jar Jar.

She was extremely irritating, definitely on a par with Jar Jar & Jake Lloyd's awful "yippee" & "oops" repertoire.

The nicknames everyone kept giving eachother throughout the film were really annoying too, don't they know that Star Wars is very serious business??!!

< Message edited by Miso_Jace -- 28/8/2008 8:42:11 PM >

Those friends thou hast, and by their adoption tried, Grapple them unto thy soul with hoops of steel!

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 153
RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 29/8/2008 1:57:27 PM   
Scabby

Movie Review: Star Wars: The Clone Wars

http://www.hecklerspray.com/movie-review-star-wars-the-clone-wars/200815840.php

[image]http://www.hecklerspray.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/20080212_1_sm.jpg[/image]

Say what you want about the Star Wars prequels, it's still an unparalleled cinematic experience when the lights go down and the familiar John Williams fanfare kicks in with the logo and text crawl.

So it's a feeling of impending cinematic doom when this new prequel/middle/sequel gets this simplest of iconic moments wrong! Straight away you feel that your heading downhill with The Clone Wars as it replaces the text crawl with a voiceover narration that feels as jarring as it does patronising. As we get plumped straight into the action we have to get used to the new aesthetic style that matches a wooden finish with that of the prequel trilogy acting. It also dumps the classic musical themes of the saga, instead opting for, among other things, rock-style electric guitar. It's as bad as it sounds, literally!

The plot concerns Jabba the Hutt's son being kidnapped, with the Jedis being sent on a rescue mission led by Anakin Skywalker and his new Padawan Ahsoka Tano. Ahsoka is destined to be the next saga character to get speared by the hardcore fanbase. Her entrance in which she nicknames Skywalker 'Skyguy' is as cheesy as it is annoying and she continues using this nickname along with other inventive quips throughout the film. Jar Jar, we miss you!
The director has decided to keep talking to a minimal luckily, as the film zooms by from action scene to action scene. Unfortunately none of them are as spectacular as they aspire to be, comparing poorly to that of the prequel trilogy, of which was hardly the pinnacle of excellence with their overreliance on CGI. In fact the film relies too much on action to keep the audience entertained, avoiding focus on its paper-thin plot and ends up making the space battles and lightsabre fights tiresome.

All of the prequel characters are chucked into the mix even if not needed, such as a strange diversion involving Padme and Jabba's gay uncle from Kentucky, Ziro. Ziro is surprisingly enjoyable, only in a 'so bad its funny' kind of way, as he lords it up in his fluorescent gay bar. The characters remain faithful to their origins apart from Anakin whose dark edge is all but missing (because the film's for kids don't ya know), and it's strange that he is given a Padawan not just because he was made a Jedi Knight reluctantly but also because Yoda contradicts himself somewhat.

The film isn't worth these quibbles, as it will be lost in the deep dark Lucasfilm vault under 'mistakes' along with the Star Wars Holiday Special and aliens in Indy 4. If you're a Star Wars fan that doesn't want to see their precious saga tainted (can't be many of you left) - then do not go within a 100 yard radius of this film. For everyone else - avoid like you would a Wookie who has just lost a game of chess!

[story by David Scarborough] 

< Message edited by Scabby -- 29/8/2008 1:59:56 PM >

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to Miso_Jace)
Post #: 154
RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 30/8/2008 4:16:42 PM   
vader100

Based on how much my little lad enjoyed it 5/5. Based on how much I enjoyed it 2.5/5. The vertical battle was fun but my god that Asoka was annoying. It was amazing how much I missed the Williams score. I appreciate much more now how his music lifted the films.

BTW is it wrong I noticed that it looked like Padme had a camel toe?

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 155
RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 30/8/2008 9:10:48 PM   
Darth Goonie

Where the hell was Bib Fortuna? Given that he was in Episode 1, surely he should have been by Jabba's side in Episode 2.5?

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 156
Plot - 31/8/2008 9:01:25 AM   
mawriz

It didn't even try to be a movie. It was content in being an overlong animated TV cartoon. Come to think of it, I would enjoy KOTOR's cutscenes put together than this movie. The fact that it was targeted for kids doesn't excuse the simplified plot. Shrek was 10 times more enjoyable than this, if they can pull it off, why can't the Star Wars franchise do the same?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 157
RE: As the Clone Wars finished... - 31/8/2008 10:42:38 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

all this ''hater'' shit''its a kids film bollocks'' is utter tosh.i love many a kiddies film(incredibles for starters is in my top 10) but that does not excuse bad scripts,wooden acting,terrible casting etc...

Drawn better my acting and others can this be done? More expressive maybe. Made of wood computer drawings cannot be. Yoda From.

Getting boring, this is.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 158
RE: A dead cow. - 1/9/2008 11:04:10 AM   
ukacidman

I liked it. my kids loved it.
I loved the Batlle on top of the cliff face..

" WAKE UP TIME TO DIE
"
last 5 cinema visits 2013
The Great Gatsby 7/10
Star Trek into darkness - 8/10
Iron Man 3 ( 8/10)
Good Vibrations 8/10
Cloude Atlas 7/10

(in reply to grucl)
Post #: 159
Star Wars - Clone Wars - 1/9/2008 8:27:25 PM   
clonewars

My 7 year old lad thought it was good. That said, I found it tedious and I am a SW fan.Lack of plot and in particular lack of any character development really undermined this. The animation is not going to be to everyone's taste but the dialogue is pants and (I did not think it really possible with animation but the acting is somehow wooden). The voiceover start is so quick you struggle to know what is going on at first but given the limited plot you soon catch up. Just a noise fest. Yes it is for kids but please remember that the parents have to take them so it needs to be bearable! Should have been put on T.V. not cinema which would have raised it to 3 stars as Saturday morning entertainment.

Post #: 160
RE: Star Wars - Clone Wars - 2/9/2008 3:00:12 PM   
Tech_Noir

Maybe it's because my expectations were really low but I enjoyed this.

Better than The Phantom Menace and some cool action.

It was genuinely nice to go back to the Star Wars universe (deserts of Tatooine, etc.) after three years. Hell I may even get the DVD (if the extra features are good) and watch with younger relatives during Christmas holidays or something.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 2/9/2008 5:20:14 PM >

(in reply to clonewars)
Post #: 161
RE: Star Wars - Clone Wars - 2/9/2008 5:28:12 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Maybe it's because my expectations were really low but I enjoyed this.

Better than The Phantom Menace and some cool action.

It was genuinely nice to go back to the Star Wars universe (deserts of Tatooine, etc.) after three years. Hell I may even get the DVD (if the extra features are good) and watch with younger relatives during Christmas holidays or something.

Pretty much agree with that Tech.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 162
RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - 3/9/2008 11:32:37 AM   
white mage

First off, the graphics are really great. Poor Count Dooku and Palpatine through. It looks like someone went a little over board on them. Thank you to the writers for inputting Anakin with a little more personality than just being moody all the time. It was far better than the clone wars cartoon which aired between the second and thrid film.

We do not write the songs, we live them

Post #: 163
RE: SKY GUY - 3/9/2008 2:12:39 PM   
tarantinofan

Remember when Palpatine was like, "grrr I would have got away with it had it not been for those pesky kids!"

(in reply to ilander66)
Post #: 164
RE: SKY GUY - 4/9/2008 12:50:44 PM   
DanCurley

My favourite bit was when Jabba pushed a custard pie into Dooku's face.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to tarantinofan)
Post #: 165
Jabba had a son? When was this? - 13/9/2008 1:00:30 PM   
MovieWatcher45

Terrible plot (Jabba son gets kidnapped?), Average CGI (Looks like a playstation 3 game), and rather wooden acting (I'm looking at you Obi Wan). The only redeeming factor was seeing the clones in action. other than that it just felt like a big joke.

Post #: 166
RE: Jabba had a son? When was this? - 31/10/2008 3:59:02 PM   
shool

I really really liked this. I thought the action was great and it felt really star wars like.
I'm also enjoying the TV series. I pretty much echo Tech and Rhubarb that its nice to go back to the universe and just have some plain entertaining fun.

The only annoying bit for me was Zero the hutt but his part was small and limited.

3.5/5 - Great entertainment.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to MovieWatcher45)
Post #: 167
RE: Jabba had a son? When was this? - 31/10/2008 4:48:01 PM   
kargon

I'm enjoying the series. Anakin's actings better than the films. Hope they can do the same with the live action tv show. I was worried it might go down a Star Trek route where there's a moral to the story or some shit every week. Hope it don't turn into some kind of O.C type shit either with teeny characters

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 168
RE: Jabba had a son? When was this? - 2/11/2008 1:03:47 AM   
elzupasmonkey

Hated the Starship Troopers voiceover rip-off. Why do you need it when you got the greatest Irvine-the-Explainer scroll ever in the history of cinema!

And the Yoda talk seemed far too Yoda-ish in it's execution.

http://tiny.cc/odytmw

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 169
Why only 3 stars? - 11/12/2008 12:40:15 PM   
cunningmunki

I don't understand why the Empire review only gives this 3 stars when there's not a single negative comment in the entire review! I totally agree with the review, but it seems like they're still sore from the criticism they got over their original ratings for the prequels. Don't be ashamed Empire, the Clone Wars deserves 4 stars!

Post #: 170
its not a film...its a feature long tv pilot blown up o... - 25/1/2009 10:30:16 AM   
THE DALTONATOR

this is a feature lenght pilot for the cartoon network tv series it is not a film and that is proved by its weak plot and bad script and yet again with modern star wars films its the music and action where the entertainment is. this is not a film its a pilot and not a good one maybe lucas should leave his old stuff alone and come up with a modern day hero which in 20 years time can make a crappy animation cash-in out of

Post #: 171
Star Wars Episode VII: A New Low - 28/9/2009 8:59:06 PM   
S1lent B0b

Only Lucas can make a movie 90mins long & still make it drag on

Post #: 172
- 5/5/2010 2:25:08 PM   
elimonator

Things like this just ruin it !

Post #: 173
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Star Wars: The Clone Wars Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI