Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Latest Watchmen Video Diary Online

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Latest Watchmen Video Diary Online Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Latest Watchmen Video Diary Online - 7/8/2008 12:02:32 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Cool - 7/8/2008 12:02:32 PM   
SuperShazam!!

I really am looking forward to this film!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Cool - 7/8/2008 12:21:21 PM   
kinge247

I'm totally sold by this.  Love the GN, had it for years and read it every year or so. Zack Snyders done an amazing job so far and I have total faith that this will be the absolute Uber masked adventurer film.   The level of detail I've seen so far in these production vids is astounding.  The trailer is great as well.  I cannot bloody wait!

(in reply to SuperShazam!!)
Post #: 3
- 7/8/2008 5:10:30 PM   
spikespiegel

hope this has more substance than 300

Post #: 4
- 7/8/2008 5:27:21 PM   
hatebox

There's just something about this all that isn't... quite right.

i think at this point I'm resigned to it not being as good as the book, just hope it's a decent film nonetheless.

Post #: 5
RE: - 7/8/2008 6:03:32 PM   
KeithM

What, pray tell, isn't 'quite right'?

The movie and the book are two very different things.  That doesn't mean that an excellent movie can't be made though.

I swear, there is no pleasing some people.  Would you have rather had the version where at the end Rorschach, Nite Owl and Silk Spectre suddenly materialise in 'real world' New York?  Would you rather have the 'modernised' Greengrass version, which would have borne very little resemblance to the novel at all?

Snyder, so far, hasn't put a foot wrong and if he can convince this cynical old codger (which he most definitely has), not to mention a certain Dave Gibbons, then I genuinely struggle to see how ANY fan of the GN could fail to be impressed so far.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 6
- 7/8/2008 9:29:36 PM   
John Firth

Why are people expecting to see the comic on screen? It's an adaptation. You can't directly translate page to screen, it just doesn't work. Some things have to change in order for it to work. Even if the film blows, it should introduce more people to the masterwork it came from.

Visually this looks the shit so far. I just hope the content matches the visuals, and is also the shit, rather than the shits.

Post #: 7
RE: - 8/8/2008 1:02:52 AM   
KeithM

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Firth
You can't directly translate page to screen, it just doesn't work.

Seems he's having a good go though: Trailer to comic comparison

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Firth
... Even if the film blows, it should introduce more people to the masterwork it came from.

Seems it's done that already...  I picked this little snippet from the web (can't remember the link now, just Google 'Watchmen Sales' - that's what I did):

quote:

Publishers Weekly reports today that DC Comics has had to print 300,000 additional copies of Watchmen in the past two weeks to cover additional demand generated by the movie trailer. By comparison, Watchmen sold 100,000 copies in 2007 -- and that's already a great number for a 21-year-old book.

<On Amazon> the percentage sales increase from the week ending 13/7 to the week ending 20/7: 244 %. (And it's not as is Watchmen was languishing before that; its sales were already a thing to covet and the previous three weeks had seen smaller but still impressive sales increases of 8%, 26%, and 10%.)

In the week after that (ending 27/7), sales increased another 75%...

And that's from two minutes of footage and 7 months before release.

< Message edited by KeithM -- 8/8/2008 1:10:00 AM >

(in reply to John Firth)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Latest Watchmen Video Diary Online Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI