Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Fantastic

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Fantastic Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fantastic - 9/9/2008 1:27:29 AM   
Tank Boy

quote:

ORIGINAL: raithrover

Seems a film that divides opinion, maybe only time will tell or a directors cut?

According to Del Toro himself, the current film is the director's cut.

Chuck's Culture Carnival!

(in reply to raithrover)
Post #: 121
RE: Fantastic - 9/9/2008 1:53:59 AM   
Incanus

Yes, I too read this, He clearly stated this is his director's cut, this was his desired effect.

WINTER IS COMING

T h e 2 4 t h F r a m e . c o . u k

Cuiva Olorin
Narendur.
Tira nottolya
Tulta tuolya.
An mauya mahtie
Ter oiomornie
Ter ondicilyar
Mettanna.
Nurunna!

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 122
Don't hate, appreciate - 9/9/2008 2:46:08 PM   
andreaswright69

I loved this film from beginning to end and have to agree whole-heartedly with the empire review, it was a great improvement on the first film and I love Del toro's vision of great fantasy, all those people who were expecting Pans Labyrinth 2 need to get a life. Hellboy is pure unadulterated entertainment and let's be honest a thousand times better than 95% of the other blockbuster crud that gets churned out (I'm looking at you Mummy 3). Hellboy for President!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 123
hellboy 2 - 11/9/2008 10:12:49 PM   
K.J.E

For starters i have to admit the young hellboy was nowhere near brilliant and was slightly dodgy, and no, the golden army is not in it as much as they could have been. But in my opinion, everything else about the film was great. The storyline is fantastic, and it explains very clearly about why prince Nuada hates mankind, it really gives you an understanding of what the films about.

I loved the film from begining to end and did'nt get up to go to the toilet once all the way through the film in the cinema.The film is action packed all the way through, which are very entertaining.
And i think its great how prince Nuada is not completely evil. And that the reason he is hell-bent on distroying human-kind, is because of there destructive past, towards mythical creatures (prince nuada),
and he can not trust the human race.Which is understandable. And also there are some new characters, which makes it all the more interesting to watch.

Conclution
A great viewing, with some great action scenes and great meaning, and a brilliant storyline. A must see for fans of the first hellboy, and anyone looking for a thrill.

Post #: 124
hellboy 2 - 11/9/2008 10:13:25 PM   
K.J.E

For starters i have to admit the young hellboy was nowhere near brilliant and was slightly dodgy, and no, the golden army is not in it as much as they could have been. But in my opinion, everything else about the film was great. The storyline is fantastic, and it explains very clearly about why prince Nuada hates mankind, it really gives you an understanding of what the films about.

I loved the film from begining to end and did'nt get up to go to the toilet once all the way through the film in the cinema.The film is action packed all the way through, which are very entertaining.
And i think its great how prince Nuada is not completely evil. And that the reason he is hell-bent on distroying human-kind, is because of there destructive past, towards mythical creatures (prince nuada),
and he can not trust the human race.Which is understandable. And also there are some new characters, which makes it all the more interesting to watch.

Conclution
A great viewing, with some great action scenes and great meaning, and a brilliant storyline. A must see for fans of the first hellboy, and anyone looking for a thrill.

Post #: 125
RE: Hellboy II: The Golden Army - 12/9/2008 9:48:08 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I watched both Hellboy 1 and 2 for the first time on the same day and I can safely say that 2 cant beat the first. Still good though.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 126
- 12/9/2008 4:58:27 PM   
filmnutrob

finally got round to seeing hellboy 2. good fun if a bit on the predictable side plot wise. visually astonishing, and one of the most imaginative films of the year, well acted, very tongue in cheek and surprisingly funny and an improvement on the original hellboy. one thing, we have another summer superhero film with a dodgy 12a certificate. while not as strong as the dark knight, i have to ask, are the bbfc just making as many films as they can get away with a 12a just to sell more tickets?? i think yes. time the 12a was scrapped, and went back to being just a 12. but film was good fun and very enjoyable though it might be a bit much for young kids.

Post #: 127
RE: - 13/9/2008 4:57:27 PM   
JamesMcManus1

I found it a bit disappointing to be honest....it was as other people have pointed out visually stunning but there's only so much dressing a film can take before you realise it's all a little predictable and dull.

It's more like the actual Hellboy comics than the first one and certainly is funnier but i just think it was half an hour too long and the fight sequence with the Golden Army just wasn't long enough.

www.off-the-ball.co.uk

Visit me!

(in reply to filmnutrob)
Post #: 128
- 18/10/2008 2:56:42 PM   
NaturalHigh

Beatiful and inventive, and fun, could have done without the OTT cheesy and stomach curling ickfest romance that is so typically Hollywoodies, the studio obviouslt interfered there. It might be on broader scale than the first but that had more soul (not that Hellboy 2 doesn´t).

Post #: 129
Disapointing - 2/11/2008 9:05:59 PM   
epdug

I really liked the first one, but this was just all over the place!
Where's the story?? And why in the hell did they come over here to Ireland, that was just weird, it wasn't used well. Very disapointing.

Post #: 130
Hellboy 2 - 29/11/2008 2:50:06 PM   
lynnshep

Great movie. Good acting, good action, good plot, and good direction. Del Toro delivers

Post #: 131
Hellboy 2 - 29/11/2008 2:50:11 PM   
lynnshep

Great movie. Good acting, good action, good plot, and good direction. Del Toro delivers

Post #: 132
Pue Escapism - 4/12/2008 5:11:12 AM   
Halo14

What a fantastic movie. I agree, 4 stars is right on the spot!!! This director is on his way to the top.

Post #: 133
Better than I'd hoped - 19/12/2008 12:29:37 PM   
Caster

This is one of the best sequels of all time - it's just gorgeous, full of action and invention. See it.

Post #: 134
RE: Better than I'd hoped - 22/12/2008 10:00:33 AM   
MOTH

better than the first. Plot is Lord of the Rings-lite and a mere excuse to hang del Toro's inventive visuals and creatures upon, but the film does develop a surprisingly emotional aspect which held the interest more than I would have expected.(6/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 135
RE: Better than I'd hoped - 23/12/2008 11:18:55 AM   
BigKovacs

I thought it was pretty good but del Toro still seems like an ad or music video director to me. He handles single scenes incredibly well but is merely competent at actually meshing a full story together and Hellboy 2's a good example. each scene is visually lush and busy and the actions precise and fun but the jump from location to location and taking the narrative with it is pretty pedestrian. Pan's feels the same.

I don't mean to be so picky with the guy, I really like watching his films I just think there's a few bits missing and despite popular opinion I think with some tweaking he could be a true legend.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 136
RE: Better than I'd hoped - 23/12/2008 1:02:30 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I really loved Hellboy 2 - the universe he creates just sucks you in it's so fantastic. Even minor touches make you laugh, like when Abe Sapien is going through the Troll Market and there's that creature with the accordion and when he turns around it starts bopping away

The statement 'a visual feast' completely applies to this movie, it's an amazing work of art. For example the fight with the Elemental, it's death and the flowering life it spills onto the streets after it's demise was really suprising, beautiful and moving. You feel the Elves out of LOTR would have been great chums with this being.

Johann Krauss was a totally brilliant creation as well (as was the Angel of Death although that could have stepped straight out of Pan's Labyrinth) and generally there's so much to look at it needs a few viewings to get the best out of, a bit like a good wander around a gallery maybe?

My only problem with the movie was the fact that Prince Nuada's viewpoint wasn't explored more - he was perfectly within his rights to propagate a war against the humans. Wasn't the agreement between the races that the humans get the land and the creatures get the forests? Why were they all forced underground to live out of sight? I really felt for his cause and this needed to be explored more as it really wasn't a straightforward battle between good and evil.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 137
- 27/12/2008 6:09:18 PM   
Headz_Up

Loved this film hated the Barry Manilow song and scene,hated the romances. Hollywood just cant do romances right ,almost no one can do it without it being fluffy or sickly. Also am I the only one who liked the young Hellboy? I thought the innocence shone through of his 1950s upbringing by the wonderful John Hurt and yes it was a little cheesy but hey I like cheese.

As for the golden army what a disappointment,they werent on for long enough and they could easily have slaughtered Hellboy and gang in minutes but true to Hollywood style they didnt
As for Prince Nuada they couldve done much more about the humans breaking the truce and how little land was left ,and wouldnt it have been nice for Hellboy and Nuada to have gotten together if only for a little while against the humans considering the bad reception Hellboy got when he saved the baby ?
My favourite two characters are Prince Nuada and Johann (Strauss ! I cant believe that I put Strauss instead of Krauss)and if it wasnt for these two I would have given it two stars instead of four.
That said I am a big fan of Rons but thought his character in the first Hellboy was better.
I really hope they do a third film .

Post #: 138
RE: - 8/1/2009 11:08:39 PM   
bozo

Really enjoyed this - striking visuals, solid, smart script, good acting, ace film.

(in reply to Headz_Up)
Post #: 139
RE: RE: - 9/1/2009 1:28:37 AM   
Samfran

When I saw it at the cinema I was a bit mixed, didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as I did the first, which I actually saw for the first time the day before.

But I got it on BD for Christmas and watched it again last week and think it's brilliant. The creatures that are created are spectacular, especially the whole troll market scene. Still not a big fan of the Barry manilow song there but whatever. Also i watched the 2 hour 40 minute making of feature that explored EVERYTHING and it opened my eyes up to the film more and made me enjoy it that bit more seeing the effort, detail and love that everyone had for the movie.

"It's simple. Kill the Batman"

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 140
awesome! - 12/1/2009 10:42:31 PM   
Coyleone

i loved this film! superior to the first film, it was funnier, more action packed and had better character development. loved that Abe had a bigger role and i like the romance parts of the film, adds to the characters. the fights where amazing and the whole film was visually stunning, a real treat to watch!

Post #: 141
RE: Fantastic - 12/1/2009 11:13:30 PM   
bozo

Just as entertaining and visually arresting as the first one.

(in reply to Tank Boy)
Post #: 142
RE: - 18/1/2009 1:50:43 PM   
MathewRed

As del Toro's follow up to the masterpiece that was Pans Laybrinth, this film had a lot to live up to. It has many of the flaws that dragged down the first installment: not enough character development and story-line that lacked depth. However in this film we see much more of del Toro's influence in the stunning creatures and inventive fight sequences. I agree with a previous post, saying that Prince Nuada lacked the hate factor that is essential in fantasy bad guys. He appeared far to civil and polite for us to hate him when he (spoiler) stabs Hellboy. Krauss, the ektoplastic diving suit is a great adition into the BPRD, filling the whole left by Agent Myres. As a whole, this films works well and I hope there is enough money made to greenlight a next installment. Perhaps it could be third time lucky for del Toro and his big red ape.

We're as similar as two dissimilar things in a pod

(in reply to Kittys_Gremlin)
Post #: 143
RE: RE: - 18/1/2009 2:31:26 PM   
Vito_Andolini

While better than most films of the genre, Hellboy 2 was nowhere near as good as the first.  Del Toro tried to cram too much of his signature imagery in there in my opinion.  The fun and charisma of the first was lacking in spades.

"Lunch Lady Doris, do ye have any grease?!"

"Yes, yes we do"

"THEN GREASE ME UP WOMAN!!"

"Okey dokey"

www.movieguys.org

(in reply to MathewRed)
Post #: 144
Massive improvement on the first - 25/1/2009 7:59:20 AM   
THE DALTONATOR

This film is fantastic and going throught the special features has made me come to this conclusion about guillermo del toro....the man is a cinematic genuis and one of the best directors out there working today with this film he has crafted a fantastic mix of pans labyrinth creatures and worlds with modern day and this film is the comic book pans labyrinth with hidden big themes but also action, humour and romance and despite all the action and creatures and worlds and pure scale and beatuy and grandness of it all the characters are still at the centre of it.

Post #: 145
- 28/1/2009 9:08:45 PM   
bobyfilm

del toros imagination has no end it seems. i am truely glad he is directing the hobbit. this movie has so much lavish visuals that i had to watch it again to fully take it in. the story is solid and the action great. my only negative point really is that THIS should have been the first hellboy movie and right now we should be experiencing an even better sequel. but none the less a great film

Post #: 146
- 9/2/2009 12:28:43 PM   
SkullKassidy

I feel sorry for Del Toro ...any other than "Dark Knight year" and this would have been the blockbuster you HAD to see!

Despite being battered at the cinemas, I hope it goes on to be respected as the awesome film it is on DVD!

Post #: 147
Hellboy 2: The Golden Army - 28/5/2009 5:42:25 PM   
JJB888

An exceptionally directed, acted and written sequel, which has to be the most under-rated film of 2008 due to bigger blockbusters (a.k.a. The Dark Knight). This film is over populated with innovative creativity and magical ideas, which create a must-see result, that improves on the first film in every way. The characters are immersive, the script cracking and effects and locations eye popping. All the cast give first class performances and both the heroes and villains are undeniably effective. As before the fights do not dissapoint and occur at a fast and relentless pace. However most effective of all is the emotional and saddening ideologies Del Toro explores, when suggesting that it is humanity that is the real monster on show. Truely wonderful and highly reccomended superhero masterpiece.

Post #: 148
we need a 3 - 28/6/2012 5:05:53 PM   
katt1339

okay there has been talk about no Hellboy 3 and thats so not cool he knocked her up and it ends? no, see you cant do that you have to further that weather its a point where they are teenagers or what but you cant do this. come on J.K. Rowling had 8 movies you can at least pull off one more.

Post #: 149
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Fantastic Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI