Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Wire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Wire - 21/7/2007 10:27:29 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've never watched the Wire, but I really want to. I think I'll just have to go and buy the boxsets, unless there's an outside chance of it finding its way to terrestrial TV?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 151
RE: The Wire - 21/7/2007 10:28:03 PM   
Zaphod121

Don't count on it!

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 152
RE: The Wire - 21/7/2007 10:31:05 PM   
Mozza

You can dowbnload the first season for free from the guardian website.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 153
RE: The Wire - 21/7/2007 10:33:41 PM   
Zaphod121

I thought it was just the first episode?

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 154
RE: The Wire - 21/7/2007 11:10:57 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I've never watched the Wire, but I really want to. I think I'll just have to go and buy the boxsets, unless there's an outside chance of it finding its way to terrestrial TV?

'fraid not. The non-terrestrial licence was bought up by FX and non of the other channels are keen to buy terrestrial only licences in the new multi-media world. FX are showing the entire 4 series from Epi 1 from, I think, this or next week though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 155
RE: The Wire - 22/7/2007 2:46:20 AM   
G.O.B

it's starting on monday.speaking of which,i'm really looking forward to watching it for the first time.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 156
RE: The Wire - 23/7/2007 5:22:57 PM   
Mason Verger

The Wire
Monday 23 July
10:00pm - 11:15pm
FX
1/13 - The Target

A chance to see one of the greatest police dramas ever made, from the start of series one. Since it first aired on US cable channel HBO in 2002, The Wire has received unprecedented critical plaudits. Unfolding slowly and intricately like a good novel, it documents the listless cat-and-mouse game between Baltimore's cops and its drug dealers, and the malign influence of the city's venal administrators. The deep, subtle characterisation of both the cops and the dealers is what makes The Wire so addictive - and the police procedural, focused on the surveillance techniques that give the show its name, is engrossingly detailed and realistic, thanks to co-writer Ed Burns's past career as a detective. But Burns and series creator David Simon, an ex-crime reporter, were driven to write by their horror at the effects of institutional corruption on America's crumbling inner cities, and the ordinary people who have to live in them. This social conscience is where The Wire's real genius lies. No programme before or since has been so insightful and eloquent about the plight of the US working class, particularly the black working class. A drama that amounts to one long howl of despair was never going to be a commercial hit, but if you yearn for a TV drama to assume you're intelligent, patient and astute, look no further.

RT reviewer - Jack SealeVIDEO Plus+: 93398781
Cast

• Dominic West,Sonja Sohn,Lance Reddick,Wendell Pierce,Larry Gilliard jr.,Wood Harris

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to G.O.B)
  • Post #: 157
    RE: The Wire - 16/10/2007 11:12:04 AM   
    Captain Black

You'll need some time to read through all of this, but it's worth it. There are infrequent but big spoilers if you've not seen all of season 4.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/10/22/071022fa_fact_talbot?currentPage=1

Invisiotext:
    [color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Mason Verger)
    Post #: 158
    RE: The Wire - 16/10/2007 12:30:52 PM   
    elab49

Charred dolls? I see Damian Day is alive and well in the world of the media!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Captain Black)
    Post #: 159
    RE: The Wire - 16/10/2007 4:01:26 PM   
    Dragar 11(New Birth)

I want to see Season 4 and don't want to watch it on FX because the pace will be to slow. S4 came out in September 2006, why are HBO taking the mick by releasing the DVD so late.

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 160
    RE: The Wire - 31/10/2007 4:23:33 PM   
    Jim

I've only seen up to halfway through Season 3 so I've not read any of the thread. I'd just like to complain about how Season 4 isn't out on DVD until March. March! Nooooo... I've been ripping through Season 3 because it's so good, assuming that S4 was out or very nearly out and I could just move straight onto that when I needed to, and be ready when Season 5 airs.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
    Post #: 161
    RE: The Wire - 6/11/2007 1:44:15 PM   
    PrisonerX

This is truly the greatest show ever.  And that's coming from someone who can't stand 'cop shows', this is so much more than just a 'cop show'.

Post #: 162
    RE: The Wire - 6/11/2007 5:52:43 PM   
    Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PrisonerX

This is truly the greatest show ever.  And that's coming from someone who can't stand 'cop shows', this is so much more than just a 'cop show'.

Agreed

(in reply to PrisonerX)
    Post #: 163
    RE: The Wire - 6/11/2007 7:54:26 PM   
    elab49

At least we know this is one show that shouldn't be affected by the writers strike - season 5 wrapped a while ago (West refers to the final days filming in a series of diaries from various people published in, I think, the Saturday Guardian magazine a couple of weeks ago).

quote:

Post #: 164
    RE: The Wire - 21/11/2007 9:25:09 PM   
    G.O.B

I've been watching this on FX and i've got to say,that it has to be one of the greatest TV shows i've ever seen,just a joy to watch so far (I'm around episode four in season 2) so i hope the high quality continues.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 165
    RE: The Wire - 22/11/2007 6:39:43 PM   
    Old Peculiar

Don't worry G.O.B, it gets even better.  Just waiting for my region 1 copy of season 4 to arrive and then i'll hopefully be ready for the final season when it airs.  It will be a sad year with both the Wire and Shield ending in '08:(

(in reply to G.O.B)
    Post #: 166
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 22/11/2007 7:40:54 PM   
    Zaphod121

Dam straight! Each season is better than the last.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

At least we know this is one show that shouldn't be affected by the writers strike - season 5 wrapped a while ago (West refers to the final days filming in a series of diaries from various people published in, I think, the Saturday Guardian magazine a couple of weeks ago).

Thats good, how many ep's in Season 5? and when will it be airing? -

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 22/11/2007 7:41:18 PM >

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Old Peculiar)
    Post #: 167
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 22/11/2007 8:39:53 PM   
    mfj fratelli

Season 5 premieres in January and will have 10 episodes. The final episode will feature an extended running time - approximately 90 minutes.

Enjoy these teasers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFQVSvG5x54

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q24T3-GRIsQ

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to Zaphod121)
    Post #: 168
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 22/11/2007 9:02:19 PM   
    Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mfj fratelli

Season 5 premieres in January and will have 10 episodes. The final episode will feature an extended running time - approximately 90 minutes.

Enjoy these teasers:

Get in. I can't wait. I still aint seen season yet

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
    Post #: 169
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 22/11/2007 9:18:25 PM   
    Jim

Given I'm not even finished with Season 3 yet, would those S5 teasers be spoiler-ridden?

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

Post #: 170
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 23/11/2007 9:54:46 AM   
    Zaphod121

quote:

Enjoy these teasers:

Thanks for that mate! But only 10 episodes, what a load of shite! Oh well, let's hope they can churn out a cracking series finale.
    Jim - I think there are a few mild spoilers, but not much.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 171
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 11/12/2007 11:16:22 AM   
    elab49

Those lovely people at The Wire are giving me a wonderful birthday present this year

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34986

Starting Jan 6th, with epi 1 available on Hogmanay. If you want just read the top of the article which is general info. IF you want, scroll down and you get info on the first 4 epis. It is well signposted.

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
    Post #: 172
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 14/12/2007 8:18:08 AM   
    Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Those lovely people at The Wire are giving me a wonderful birthday present this year

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34986

Starting Jan 6th, with epi 1 available on Hogmanay. If you want just read the top of the article which is general info. IF you want, scroll down and you get info on the first 4 epis. It is well signposted.

Whoppeee. I can't wait.

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 173
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 15/12/2007 10:20:26 AM   
    elab49

Amazon has 3 'prequels' for the Wire up for viewing -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ERXC2/ref=s9_asin_more?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=top-1&pf_rd_r=1B7EAQ2BK1TTG58H965Y&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=328301401&pf_rd_i=the%20wire

Prop Joe as a kid, Bunk and McNulty meet (introduced by Rawls) and fall in love (McNulty's 1st day is nothing like Kimas!), and Omar in the 80s developing his uniquely moral approach to thieving. 2-3 minutes each.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 15/12/2007 10:25:09 AM >

quote:

Post #: 174
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 18/12/2007 6:11:53 PM   
    Fit Kisto

Lots of new stuff up for season 5.

First off there's a brilliant new season trailer on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7HoWd7mY8E

And on HBO's main site if you go to the videos section for The Wire there's a 26 minute documentary "The Last Word" about the role of the Press in season 5. Hopefully "The Wire: Odyssey" is to follow.

< Message edited by Fit Kisto -- 19/12/2007 4:55:12 PM >

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to elab49)
    Post #: 175
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 18/12/2007 11:50:09 PM   
    mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fit Kisto

And on HBO's main site if you go to the videos section for The Wire there's a 26 minute documentary "The Last Word" about the roll of the Press in season 5. Hopefully "The Wire: Odyssey" is to follow.

That trailer is mind-blowing! It really pumps the adrenals, but more importantly, it fits nicely with this season's theme - The Media. Quick cuts, soundbites, and a rockin' beat all add up to a shrewd critique of the entertainment industry. At least, that's how I see it. It still has me wettin' myself in anticipation though!

I saw the prequels as well, but didn't really care for them. They seemed too gimmicky and commercialized; out of touch with the solemnity of the program.

< Message edited by mfj fratelli -- 18/12/2007 11:53:02 PM >

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
    Post #: 176
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 19/12/2007 8:51:06 AM   
    Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fit Kisto

And on HBO's main site if you go to the videos section for The Wire there's a 26 minute documentary "The Last Word" about the roll of the Press in season 5. Hopefully "The Wire: Odyssey" is to follow.

That trailer is mind-blowing! It really pumps the adrenals, but more importantly, it fits nicely with this season's theme - The Media. Quick cuts, soundbites, and a rockin' beat all add up to a shrewd critique of the entertainment industry. At least, that's how I see it. It still has me wettin' myself in anticipation though!

I saw the prequels as well, but didn't really care for them. They seemed too gimmicky and commercialized; out of touch with the solemnity of the program.

Great Trailer

Post #: 177
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 22/12/2007 5:16:48 PM   
    VincentHanna

Season 5 special available from the usual places. About 5 minutes long.
    It's a featurette that's part extended trailer, part interviews with some of the case and writers.
    Weird hearing Simon West's "normal" accent, so used to him now as McNulty.

Enjoy.....

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

Post #: 178
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 31/12/2007 8:42:41 PM   
    mfj fratelli

Even though Season 5 doesn't officially start until the 6th of January, I thought I would take advantage of HBO's unusual scheduling situation this year. For those who don't know, HBO is letting viewers watch each new episode (via 'On Demand') a full week before it airs. Sounds insane, doesn't it? Usually HBO only places the episode 'On Demand' after its already had an official air date. I don't know what kind of marketing scheme the honchos are getting into, but you won't see die-hard fans, like me, complaining. Well, I do have one grumble. I wish they had all 10 eps. available right now!

*SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS*

The humorous cold open with the boys from homicide division treads over familiar territory in Simon's world. The xerox/lie detector gag has already been featured in Homicide: Life on the Street; being directly lifted from an actual occurrence Simon witnessed when writing his non-fiction crime book, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. The end result in The Wire's version is played out perfectly , but one wonders if this is still a common tactic in Baltimore. Are low-level criminals still gullible enough to believe that a copy machine doubles as a polygraph? Simon wrote his book well over a decade ago; the method might come across as dated in this new 'information age.'

Now, that 'McDonalds' dialogue was pure brilliance. That's what I'd expect from The Bunk.

The rest of the episode seems to establish what the characters have been up to since we last saw them. This season's addition of the newsroom will be interesting . Some American TV critics (who have already seen most of this season's episodes) seem disappointed by the storyline. However, while reading their reviews it all seems like a bunch of sour grapes to me - misguided and unfounded indignation.
    Clark Johnson's addition to the cast is excellent. I liked his work in Homicide. I'm sure I won't be dissatisfied with his presence this year.

Some interesting things seem to be in store for this season - Partlow doing research on Malatov, Marlo questioning Prop Joe and the co-op's decisions, Clay Davis being investigated, McNulty back to the barrooms and bedrooms again, Bubbles off the street and the needle, Dukie's relationship with Michael and 'the game', Herc working for that slimeball Levy, the temporary dismantling of the MCU, and Carcetti's unpopular cutbacks in the PD budget. Fireworks are about to fly!

It's still a shame that we didn't get to see Omar in this episode, but that seems to be a habitual occurrence each season. He usually doesn't turn up until a couple episodes in. That appears to be an ongoing trend for each season.  I have a feeling that his storyline will be one of the most important this year. It seems that Simon alludes to either Marlo's downfall or even Omar's in that exciting character promo. Incidentally, who is Omar pointing that shotgun at? It goes so quick, but could it be Snoop or even Michael. One thing seems to be certain. That has to be one of Marlo's SUVs exploding in the background, right?

I'm not sure if this season will top the exploration of education, but having a 'weaker' season of The Wire is analogous to owning a 6 billion- dollar-mansion as opposed to a 9.

*SPOILERS END* *SPOILERS END* *SPOILERS END*

(in reply to VincentHanna)
    Post #: 179
    RE: The Wire - Bring on Season 5! - 2/1/2008 8:46:01 PM   
    VincentHanna

A friend tells me the second episode of the season 5 is already available. Already! That friend hasn't watched it yet. Just thought I'd let you know.

PS - First episode of season 5 was a good and solid start. Don't want to say any more and spoil it.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

Post #: 180
    Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI