Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Wire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Wire - 14/3/2007 2:12:01 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Anybody have any more thoughts on Season 4? What episode are FX on now?

Anybody with thoughts/predictions for Season 5? Can't wait for the return!

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 121
RE: The Wire - 15/4/2007 5:28:43 PM   
Mr Terrific

Truely excellent! Caught up with this from Season 1 to Season 4 while I took a break from Heroes.  Brilliant acting, scripts, stoylines and action. Totally compelling in everyway, every character is presented with conviction and every death affects you in some way. Can't praise this show enough! My fave character has to be Bunk...he is great!

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 122
RE: The Wire - 16/4/2007 10:16:58 AM   
Bobby B

Four episodes to go.... whilst i've enjoyed this series, i've found it harder going to follow it weekly on FX...

(in reply to Mr Terrific)
Post #: 123
RE: The Wire - 29/4/2007 9:09:10 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Watched 6 episodes of season 3 yesterday and by god I've missed it.  There seems to be much more on the political side (Aiden Gillen's come a long way since Queer as Folk) but the balance feels just right.

Trying not to watch the other 6 episodes too quickly as I'll then have nothing to look forward to (apart from Season 4 but it'll be while before that's out on DVD I reckon..)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Bobby B)
Post #: 124
RE: The Wire - 30/4/2007 12:00:46 AM   
IAmMadeOfPoison

'The Wire' has no peers.  It's acting and casting is flawless; it's writing and direction without equal right now IMHO.

Is it only me who thinks it's a terrible indictment of British television right now that I cannot imagine a crime drama of such quality being produced domestically, especially if it lasted longer than three or four hour long episodes? 

Instead we get Holby Blue and the constant streams of improbable ‘Brit Csi’ type shows which masquarade as drama but are just soap operas with a corpse.  'Life on Mars' is good fantasy, but I cannot remember a decent serious political or crime based drama series since 'state of play'

Sad times.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 125
RE: The Wire - 30/4/2007 11:40:12 AM   
elab49

It isn't really like with like though, is it? I don't think we would indict US TV by comparing some of their sub-soap opera crap to, say, Life on Mars or State of Play.

And do remember that their lame procedurals top their viewing charts - again, in a year where there has been wholesale slaughter of new intelligent shows in favour of more cheap reality tosh.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to IAmMadeOfPoison)
Post #: 126
RE: The Wire - 30/4/2007 8:59:04 PM   
IAmMadeOfPoison

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It isn't really like with like though, is it? I don't think we would indict US TV by comparing some of their sub-soap opera crap to, say, Life on Mars or State of Play.

And do remember that their lame procedurals top their viewing charts - again, in a year where there has been wholesale slaughter of new intelligent shows in favour of more cheap reality tosh.

You are right, it isn't as clear cut as I suggest, I was being rash.  I was trying to be as like-for-like as possible, but it is true; both produce turkeys.

However, I do still believe well made British drama (and certainly crime drama) is quite thin on the ground presently. 

Depressingly it seems ITV are the only consistant producer of domestic drama, and their show tend to peddle a choc-box view of middle england (Where The Heart Is, Heartbeat), or are the vanity projects of their 'stars' (David Jason, Robson Green).  I must given them their due that they do at least continue to produce regular crime drama, as with the Taggart one-off this week, but it is a shame we have no investment in new and innovative shows particularly in this area.

BBC rely on the Casualty/Holby City axis, and with Holby Blue being added to the mix I fear the 'Dramatic' parts of these linked shows (which is already diluted with soapy elements) will buckle under the inevitalbe focus on characters domestic struggles rather than plot.

One off specials (such as the forthcoming Maxwell on BBC) and short run series (such as the joint US/BBC ' The State Within') seemingly make up the bulk of the fayre available right now.  And although this is no wholly bad thing, it is shame many new drama consepts are given so little time.  A recent example of this would be 'The Innocence Project', given a prime thursday 8 o'clock slot for only half its 8 episodes, before being flat dropped, only to return weeks later at 11 o'clock at night.  The consept was interesting and well written, but criminally under promoted.  It wasn't the most inovative idea (quite light really) but the example illistrates a point. 

It would be nice to see more chances being taken on new drama consepts in the UK, that's all I'm really saying.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 127
RE: The Wire - 30/4/2007 10:55:46 PM   
elab49

I think we've been pretty well served in the last year if you compare the relative size of the markets. Drama - Life on Mars is a standout but we've also had superb short series like Low Winter Sun. Structurally UK TV is different - we don't have the commericial set-up and seasons that require 22-25 epis - which is probably fortunate because barely a handful of US shows can maintain quality across that, demonstrating its difficulty.

Where I think we've really experimented in the last few years is comedy - Peep Show, Green Wing, The Office. The US does lovely shows like Earl - but in stretching the curtain in this area, these days, they're playing catch-up (I should acknowledge here that I find Seinfeld and its cast offs remarkably unfunny and, indeed, tedious - so tad biased!).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 128
RE: The Wire - 1/5/2007 12:06:26 AM   
IAmMadeOfPoison

I totally agree with your points regarding the makets sizes and the commercial set-up comments, and the US does have the advantage simply due to the amount of shows it produces in comparison to our domestic broadcasters/production companies.

I guess part of the thing which fustrates me is the fact that where as in America subscription channels (HBO, essentially) can be bold in producing and sustaining products such as Oz, The Wire (and its precious incarnation, The Corner), Six Feet Under and The Sopranos alongside other programming with wider appeal, those channel available to us domestically which work on a similar basis (Sky etc) simply cherry pick from the US markets without producing (or even buying) any similar style material from the UK.  Cable TV just brings in the best outside talent, rather than fostering its own.

It is different on terrestrial, but I fear not that different.  Imports still tend to be able yo create more of a buzz, but I guess that's taken as given now, which is a shame as it then leads to Brit talent moving away to gain oppitunities.  It's a vicious circle.  It does add an extra note of fustration when you see decent Brit acting talent playing significant roles in cutting edge US made drama, and you have to wonder quite how we are able to keep many ex-soap stars in gainful employ over here whilst the likes of EamonnWalker, Idris Elba and Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and others are across the channel. 

Also, regarding series length; it is not always the case that interesting and innovative US dramas always fall into the traditional 22-24 episode structure.  The Wire, our original topic, runs at 12-13 episodes a season, while Oz (which I've brought up and consider in a similar class) had the majority of its seasons come in at 8 hours. 

Were the BBC, Channel 4 or ITV to take a risk on an 8 episode drama series I find it difficult to believe that any would be willing to deal with any subject potentially as niche as the afformentioned, and would rather limit its length or use the fund for a easier to sell programme (costume drama, 'skins'-esk teen fodder etc).  It is just my opinion after all that, but I still get annoyed by what I see in this area.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 129
RE: The Wire - 1/5/2007 11:20:56 PM   
elab49

The differential is between cable and network - we only really have the equivalent of network yet our season length, at most, for the best shows tends to be cableish. The dross - as you mention above - tend to be the ones around 20 shows or so. We seem to encompass all types within 4 channels. But our better ones, I think, tend to be shorter making them an easier comparison to cable which doesn't have the problem with sweeps that the main networks do in the US.

quote:

Post #: 130
RE: The Wire - 9/5/2007 9:52:03 PM   
elab49

FX Will be showing The Wire from episide one from July - might be an opportunity for those not fortunate enough to have experienced the best show on TV to catch up

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 131
RE: The Wire - 19/5/2007 7:20:09 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Just watched episode 11 of Season 3 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 132
RE: The Wire - 19/5/2007 7:51:00 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Spectacular episode, with two obvious scenes standing out - Avon and Stringer talking about old times, and of course the final scene. What makes that final scene so damn good is the focus on the billboard on the construction site...

Post #: 133
RE: The Wire - 19/5/2007 8:01:17 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Absolutely.  Awesome episode and completely unexpected final scene and now Doctor Who has finished I can watch episode 12 

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 134
RE: The Wire - 26/5/2007 2:35:13 PM   
elab49

Anyone looking to buy, HMV currently have S3 at £13.

quote:

Post #: 135
RE: The Wire - 26/5/2007 2:42:40 PM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Absolutely.  Awesome episode and completely unexpected final scene and now Doctor Who has finished I can watch episode 12 

Unfortunatley I saw a spoiler forfor this a few months back. I hope it doesn't spoil the rst of the show for me as I will buy it

Post #: 136
RE: The Wire - 14/7/2007 2:37:57 AM   
G.O.B

hey fx are showing the wire from the start from july 23rd and although i've heard plenty of critical acclaim i'm looking for a couple of people on the forum to tell me exactly why it's so good.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 137
RE: The Wire - 14/7/2007 5:20:37 AM   
Mycroft

It's a rich tapestry, it's more like a 5 season book than a contrived episode by episode story, motivations aren't black and white. Things weave in and out, characters come and go, life just happens, you can't predict it

< Message edited by Mycroft -- 14/7/2007 5:24:08 AM >

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 138
RE: The Wire - 14/7/2007 12:21:28 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: G.O.B

hey fx are showing the wire from the start from july 23rd and although i've heard plenty of critical acclaim i'm looking for a couple of people on the forum to tell me exactly why it's so good.

It starts on the 23rd at 10pm, but if you want to watch something to give you a good idea of if it's your thang, at various points next week (first showing Monday 18th at 9pm) FX are screening a doco they've made called Tapping The Wire.

Basically, Charlie Brooker, long time Wire devotee, goes to the Baltimore projects to see just why The Wire is the most realistic crime show ever made, meeting people on both sides of the law (one guy, Diablo, has crack vials hanging from his dreadlocks), as well as interviewing stars Dominic West, Aiden Gillen, Clark Peters, Idris Elba and creator David Simon. Along the way he also meets Wire fanatics Alexei Sayle, Nick Hornby, Graham 'Father Ted' Linehan and Peter Serefinowitz.

You'll know after that if you want to watch the series. Of course you'll want to watch it.

S'all in tha game, blood. S'all in tha game.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 139
RE: The Wire - 14/7/2007 12:38:39 PM   
G.O.B

cheers for that vertigo,will definatly checking it out and thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Member of COBW

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 140
RE: The Wire - 14/7/2007 11:31:58 PM   
Zaphod121

I've been flying through the second half of season 4, possibly my fave season so far, I'm enjoying 'grown up" Mcnulty much more, only 2 and a half more epi's to go

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 141
RE: The Wire - 14/7/2007 11:41:36 PM   
elab49

And, of course, the best thing about grown up McNulty is the sheer heartbreak it is causing The Bunk!

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 142
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2007 12:43:18 AM   
Zaphod121

Yeah Bunk gets pissed off his head all by his lonesome now!

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 143
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2007 5:58:25 AM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

Finally got around to seeing Season 3 after purchasing it for £17.99 from HMV online. Best Season so far.

My favourite parts were all the political shenanigans in City Hall. Can't wait for Season 4 on DVD although I donot know when that will come out.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 144
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2007 3:05:02 PM   
Zaphod121

Just finished Season 4, and what can I say but....WOW, thats the thing about The Wire, everything turns to shit.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 145
RE: The Wire - 16/7/2007 5:54:20 PM   
elab49

As well as tonight at 9.pm, Tapping the Wire also turns up at 11.10pm tomorrow and 8.30pm on Wednesday. Plenty of options for viewing.

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 146
RE: The Wire - 17/7/2007 10:08:42 PM   
elab49

Not bad - and did anyone else realise who Melvin the Deacon actually was?!?! I mean, I know they cast people off the streets of Baltimore - but not the ex-top of the all-time drugs dealers league in Maryland!

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 147
RE: The Wire - 17/7/2007 10:30:58 PM   
G.O.B

just watched tapping the wire and it's got me hyped up for next monday.really looking forward to it now.

Member of COBW

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 148
RE: The Wire - 21/7/2007 9:16:52 PM   
elab49

http://www.guardian.co.uk/thewire

for any interested virgins out there, The Guardian is streaming the first epi online for a week at the link above.

NB If you read the last link - Brooker on Dexter - his column last Monday referred to watching the 2nd epi and an acknowledgement that he may have missed the point in his first review.

quote:

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 149
RE: The Wire - 21/7/2007 10:24:08 PM   
Zaphod121

I recorded Tapping The Wire and I'm gonna try and get my dad to watch it to see if this will convince him to give it another shot, he watched first the half episode but said he didn't like it cus there was too much swearing, and if it doesn't then I guess you can't win em all eh?

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 21/7/2007 10:27:30 PM >

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI