Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Wire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Wire - 22/6/2011 2:35:43 AM   
Spaldron

Just thought I'd pimp on this thread to say I'm finally making my way through The Wire for the first time, start to finish. I'll report back when its over.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 1111
RE: The Wire - 22/6/2011 9:03:05 AM   
Rinc

Hope you enjoy it.

I was thinking of rewatching it again this summer. Might see if I've got the time...

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 1112
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2011 1:19:50 AM   
Saltire

Superb series, utterly gripping from start to finish. Watched it through twice and you pick up new things every episode that will make sense down the line. I love shows like this that reward intellect and sticking with. In the top five of all time series' for me.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1113
RE: The Wire - 27/7/2011 3:43:21 PM   
elab49

http://www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=whatson.production&ProductionID=1152

Fan day out in Sheffield then.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1114
RE: The Wire - 27/7/2011 5:40:47 PM   
Captain Black

Gotta love the writers who sneaked this onto the air, and one wonders how many people were aware of the reference, given the likely lack of crossover appeal between the shows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoaCR0mL4Gg&feature=player_embedded

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1115
RE: The Wire - 27/7/2011 5:50:26 PM   
elab49

That's just wrong. icarly is a show? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 1116
RE: The Wire - 6/11/2011 2:22:46 AM   
bozo

Rewatching The Wire for the 3rd time and I'm wondering - will there ever be a TV show as good as this? As important as this? As seminal and monumental as this? It's not only the greatest TV show ever made, it's one of the greatest achievements in art period. Right up there with the Mona Lisa and Monty Python.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1117
RE: The Wire - 6/11/2011 10:48:34 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

Rewatching The Wire for the 3rd time and I'm wondering - will there ever be a TV show as good as this? As important as this? As seminal and monumental as this? It's not only the greatest TV show ever made, it's one of the greatest achievements in art period. Right up there with the Mona Lisa and Monty Python.

It is supreme though the last few seasons were spoilt a bit for me with Aidan Gillen who imo was badly miscast. The political goings on of Town Hall dragged the show a bit, though it was necessary to the whole plotline.

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 1118
RE: The Wire - 6/11/2011 11:12:42 AM   
elab49

I'd counter that local politics was fundamental to the entire series and it was interesting that they left it to series 3 to give it the focus - town hall and politics lay behind the economics of dealing with the downturn in season 2, dealt with the political fallout from the drugs throughout, informed the pressures on the police, both political and funding most intriguingly dealt with in the results vs methods of Hamsterdam. Politics lay square behind the resource poor inner city schools and the low level spats with the s5 press that often seemed to be more point-scoring than dealing with the issues of real importance. The star of the show was Baltimore - the creation of the life of a city. How could town hall not be central to that?

quote:

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1119
RE: The Wire - 6/11/2011 11:22:49 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm watching this for the first time at FX speed. It's on once a week. Currently about half way through Season 3 and it's certainly on the up after the shitfest that was the first three quarters of Season 2....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1120
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 11:54:38 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'd counter that local politics was fundamental to the entire series and it was interesting that they left it to series 3 to give it the focus - town hall and politics lay behind the economics of dealing with the downturn in season 2, dealt with the political fallout from the drugs throughout, informed the pressures on the police, both political and funding most intriguingly dealt with in the results vs methods of Hamsterdam. Politics lay square behind the resource poor inner city schools and the low level spats with the s5 press that often seemed to be more point-scoring than dealing with the issues of real importance. The star of the show was Baltimore - the creation of the life of a city. How could town hall not be central to that?

I did say it was necessary to the overall story arc, but felt another actor would've been better playing the politician.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1121
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 12:06:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I'm watching this for the first time at FX speed. It's on once a week. Currently about half way through Season 3 and it's certainly on the up after the shitfest that was the first three quarters of Season 2....

Nothing wrong with season 2. Just another part of the city.

It all links in together, and when you look back at it is quite amazing what was acomplished.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 1122
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 12:08:39 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

It all links in together, and when you look back at it is quite amazing what was acomplished.

Season 2 was probably my second favourite season. Loved it.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1123
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 12:32:50 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino
quote:

quote:

Agreed - the rather Shakesperian tragedy of Frank Sabotka is, for my money, second only to the completely perfect fourth series.

YFU - if you think a good chunk of series two was a "shitfest", then wait until you hit series three's Hamsterdam and series five's serial killer, both of which (in the world of The Wire, at least) stick out like a huge sore thumb and are the only weak spots of an otherwise brilliant piece of TV.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1124
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 1:18:14 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

I did say it was necessary to the overall story arc, but felt another actor would've been better playing the politician.

But you also thought dragged a bit - which I don't agree with.

Oddly, I was a bit unsure when Gillen was cast, brilliant though he was in Queer as Folk. BUt I thought he was fine in the role, and in his double-act with Norman. Their reaction to a particular bit of news from Rawls is one of my favourite moments from the series.

quote:

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1125
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 3:57:40 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

But you also thought dragged a bit - which I don't agree with.

Oddly, I was a bit unsure when Gillen was cast, brilliant though he was in Queer as Folk. BUt I thought he was fine in the role, and in his double-act with Norman. Their reaction to a particular bit of news from Rawls is one of my favourite moments from the series.

The accent for me is way off and he speaks far too fast with it. I'm not saying he's not good in other series, I thought he was fine in Game of Thrones and apparently he was indeed exceptional in Queer as Folk.

As for the political side of the story, yes it is paramount to the whole arc but the heart of the story for me was the lives of the people on the streets. When it switched back to Town Hall it just felt a tad forced for me and it seemed it was shoved into the story to explain how the things were the way they were, which I understand and is part of the great depth of the show; but it just left me feeling slightly we were watching another series.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1126
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 4:03:22 PM   
elab49

For me, the timing was perfect. If they'd done it too early, I think it would have felt more out of place - but two seasons in seeing the police battling the politicians, knowing Royce, Davis et al and seeing the other side with labour disputes highlighting the links to state and Washington (something they came back to with Stringer's attempt a legitimacy and later with Marlo). I think those really did need to be given a context and the mayoral race seemed the most obvious way to provide an intro into that. So I guess there we agree to disagree 

His accent did raise a query with me as well when I first heard it, but I later discovered that the Irish thing was as key in parts of Baltimore as Boston, and the timber remains in parts of the accent as a result.

quote:

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 1127
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 5:32:42 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino
quote:

quote:

Agreed - the rather Shakesperian tragedy of Frank Sabotka is, for my money, second only to the completely perfect fourth series.

YFU - if you think a good chunk of series two was a "shitfest", then wait until you hit series three's Hamsterdam and series five's serial killer, both of which (in the world of The Wire, at least) stick out like a huge sore thumb and are the only weak spots of an otherwise brilliant piece of TV.

I think the only bad thing you can say about The Wire is that it makes all other TV shows seem artificial and unimportant.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 1128
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 5:37:16 PM   
elab49

Wait - Hamsterdam was bad? What else was Bunny supposed to do - he was at the end of his tether. Poor Bunny. 

And if we didn't have the serial killer storyline (which, fine, had a coincidence or two to tell a story) we also wouldn't have witnessed McNulty sitting with the profilers hearing his character being pinpointed in quite terrifyingly accurate detail

quote:

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 1129
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 5:43:07 PM   
Rgirvan44

One day I want to get as drunk as McNulty. Haven't hit that peak yet. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1130
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 5:56:31 PM   
Piles

quote:

Wait - Hamsterdam was bad? What else was Bunny supposed to do - he was at the end of his tether. Poor Bunny. 

Agreed. Season 3 is probably my favourite season. The moral choices surrounding Hamsterdam are some of the most interesting things the series throws up.

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1131
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 7:10:17 PM   
Rinc

quote:

And if we didn't have the serial killer storyline (which, fine, had a coincidence or two to tell a story) we also wouldn't have witnessed McNulty sitting with the profilers hearing his character being pinpointed in quite terrifyingly accurate detail

That's an amazing moment.

As for Hamsterdam I think it's great. It's integral to the story and not nearly as far fetched as the serial killer stuff.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 1132
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2011 7:18:21 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Wait, there's a serial killer to come? I wouldn't have seen that coming...

I'm currently in the middle of the Hamsterdam stuff and I quite like it to be honest. A lot more than the first half of season two. I'm really enjoying season three so far. Being back to following Stringer and the drugs is great, the politics with that guy that plays LittleFinger in GoT is also really entertaining. I'm also enjoying what seems might be an upcoming tussle between Stringer and Avon.

Season Two just seemed like it hadn't been thought out properly, it all seemed worked in at the last minute for some reason. Plus it had the worse character I've come across so far in The Wire....Ziggy.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 1133
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2011 8:41:32 AM   
Saltire

I liked season 2; it did take a while to get going but established the new characters well and when things went off, I genuinely felt for Sobotka and Ziggy. Ziggy just got fed up of being picked on and snapped and Sobotka was essentially a good man trying to do the best for his men and way of life, so much so that he made a Faustian pact that came back on him in the end. However he was almost left with no option as Town Hall wouldn't help them out (even if he did bribe 'sheeeeeeeeeeeeatt!!' Clay Davis who was just looking to line his pockets and had no intention of helping him) and there was no other people he felt he could turn to.

An excellent season for me.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 1134
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2011 9:13:32 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

One day I want to get as drunk as McNulty. Haven't hit that peak yet. 

That's because most people who hit McNulty's peak don't survive to boast about it!

I really don't get the lack of love for S2.  If nothing else, I loved it for the ballsy attitude of the show's creators and writers in practically abandoning the characters and plotlines of the first season to introduce a new location and cast.  Frank Sobotka was one of the best characters in the show (and surely, given the nature of the pact he made, it should be a Marlowean tragedy rather than a Shakespearean one? ), and Chris Bauer's portrayal of the good man caught between a rock and a hard place was sublime. Ziggy was indeed an annoying prick, but that's what he was meant to be!

Plus, S2 gave us one of Omar's stand-out moments - "I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase.  It's all in the game, though, right?"

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1135
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2011 9:16:44 AM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Piles

quote:

Agreed. Season 3 is probably my favourite season. The moral choices surrounding Hamsterdam are some of the most interesting things the series throws up.

The bloke who works in the office next to me just finished Series 3 and called in to chat about Bunny's no-win-situation. He got genuinely upset talking about it - i think he seen a lot of parallels with his own situation at work. Not in terms of setting up an illegal drug area (at least i don't think so), but in the wrangling of stats, results, hierarchy etc. And that is why The Wire is great - the setting may not apply to everyone, but a lot of the shit has a familiar smell.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Piles)
Post #: 1136
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2011 9:26:32 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

The bloke who works in the office next to me just finished Series 3 and called in to chat about Bunny's no-win-situation. He got genuinely upset talking about it - i think he seen a lot of parallels with his own situation at work. Not in terms of setting up an illegal drug area (at least i don't think so), but in the wrangling of stats, results, hierarchy etc. And that is why The Wire is great - the setting may not apply to everyone, but a lot of the shit has a familiar smell.

Interesting fact - Bill Bratton (David Cameron's go-to guy to run the Met and a former Boston and NY Police Commissioner) was the man responsible for establishing CompStat across most of the major East Coast metropolitan areas.  CompStat was the reporting mechanism that on The Wire became ComStat, used by Rawls and co with such cruelty

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 1137
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2011 1:01:35 PM   
great_badir

My point about Hamsterdam and the serial killer is not so much that they are bad - they are not - just that, I think, they don't fit very comfortably within the uber-real world of the show, especially as they both bookend series 4, which is about as real as any TV drama has ever got without employing blatant documentary techniques.

If both or either of those storylines appeared in pretty much ANY other TV drama, they would be brilliant, but in The Wire they seem like a bit of a stretch of common sense and reality.

As I said, I don't think they are bad, they just don't fit in my opinion.

Having said that, the serial killer storyline does involve some of the best comedy of all five series (the FBI profile, for example, as elab mentioned).

< Message edited by great_badir -- 8/11/2011 1:02:28 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1138
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2011 1:06:13 PM   
great_badir

Oh, and...

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
Ziggy was indeed an annoying prick, but that's what he was meant to be!

Exactly. Watch anything else James Ransone has been in (Generation Kill being the obvious example) and it becomes immediately obvious that it's very much a character trait of Ziggy to be a prick. The guy is an incredibly versatile actor.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1139
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2011 1:07:21 PM   
talpacino

Ziggy was great! Complete waste of space but he was great.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 1140
Page:   <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  36 37 [38] 39 40   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI