Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Wire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2006 6:08:50 PM   
Mycroft

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karpethian

just got a mail from play.com saying that season 3 will be available in february for around 30 quid.

Cheers. It hurts but it has to be done.

(in reply to Karpethian)
Post #: 61
RE: The Wire - 10/11/2006 9:12:29 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

For those who've seen S4 from screeners, what's the image quality like? The Wire isn't shot in HD, so the HBO broadcasts always look a bit poor compared to other shows, I just wondered about the DVD rips.

The quality is well nigh perfect (apart from the id code - some shows have it fuzzed in the top corner some have the number). But the visuals are perfectly fine. And the sheer joy of being able to watch the entire thing in one go so quickly - as I think The Wire should be watched - was quite quite wonderful.

I see Lester is back over in the west end with Porgy and Bess - wonder how many Wire fans will pop along!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 62
RE: The Wire - 19/12/2006 9:37:00 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I've had Season 1 of The Wire lying in my bedroom untouched for over a year. When I first bought the set I watched the first few episodes and then for whatever reason didn't continue with it. But for some reason I decided to just go ahead and watch it all this week. And I'm glad I did!

Every single character feels so real. It's what all television should be like, taking its time and telling a story while following a huge array of characters as they all struggle to survive.

It's hard to pick a favourite moment. I really love the teaser where the a bunch of the detail are in the office trying to move Herc's desk into/out of the door. The show does comedy so well. The aforementioned scene with Bunk and McNulty and a single choice word is top class and probably the one that has defined the show. Bodie playing pool with Herc and Carver was a great touch. Lt Daniels smacking down Senator Davis. D'Angelo telling his crew how he murdered Deirdre Kresson. Stringer Bell taking an intro to macroeconomics lesson. Omar's vendetta. Prez finally showing his worth and deciphering the pager codes. Daniels tearing up the picture of Bird and a bunch of them beating him up in the interrogation room. Freamon being such a smooth flirt with Shardene.

I'll buy Season 2 sometime over Christmas, and then I won't have long to wait until Season 3 is released (good month for HBO - Deadwood Season 3 comes out on DVD then too). God knows when they'll put Season 4 on DVD though. And apparently one of the major themes in Season 5 will be the mass media, so that should be interesting.

Brilliant show, and I'm glad I finally got round to watching it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 63
RE: The Wire - 19/12/2006 1:19:46 PM   
elab49

Interesting - I thought S5 would hit religion. Or possibly state politics. Can't wait, whichever!

Welcome to the world of one of the greatest TV shows ever made

< Message edited by elab49 -- 19/12/2006 4:54:53 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 64
RE: The Wire - 19/12/2006 3:37:24 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

I'll buy Season 2 sometime over Christmas, and then I won't have long to wait until Season 3 is released (good month for HBO - Deadwood Season 3 comes out on DVD then too). God knows when they'll put Season 4 on DVD though.

Season 4, FX, from Feb 13th @ 2200.

You're welcome.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

Post #: 65
RE: The Wire - 3/1/2007 1:49:13 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Unfortunately I don't have FX so I'll be waiting for the DVD's!

Well that’s me just finished Season 2. Loved it. I think being able to watch the episodes marathon style really helps with remembering the massive volume of information presented in every episode. And only a month till I get to see Season 3!

At first I was disappointed that the focus shifted from the street to the stevedores but the Sobotka clan were just as interesting as the Barksdale crew. The story of the Sobotka’s fall felt almost Shakespearean. Frank was a guy who compromised his values to try and save the dying docks and that small compromise cost him his son and his life. Nicky and Ziggy were equally compelling – Nicky was like his uncle, trying to support his famly. Ziggy was just one complicated kid who couldn’t stand being ignored by his father.

But it’s not as if the Barksdale crew were forgotten about. We still had the excellent storyline of Stringer going behind Avon’s back and having D’Angelo killed and going to Proposition Joe for product.

The Major Crimes Unit were great once again. It’s amazing seeing their case develop from what seems like nothing. Shame they were unsuccessful in getting The Greek and Vondas. Looking forward to seeing the focus shift back to them trying to take down Stringer Bell.

Favourite moments: The look on Frank Sobotka’s face when he hears about the dead bodies in the container. D’Angelo being brutally murdered in prison. The scene where ‘I Walk the Line’ plays over Prez laying the entire case out on the boards, followed by his line: “Fucking A”. McNulty’s English accent. Bunk entering the brothel to find a flustered McNulty being straddled by a hooker. Brother Mouzone shooting Cheese with rat pellets.

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 66
RE: The Wire - 3/1/2007 5:05:05 PM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

I have bought season 1 & 2 over Xmas even though I'm skint. I have watched the 1st episode and I have enjoyed it.

I will buy season 3 in February.and I have Sky so I might tape season 4 on FX.

Its a good show from what I have seen so far and Im sure it will pick up more and the characters are great. I thought the swearing was just a touch over the top.

For those of you who have seen most of the seasons, which is better Sopranos or The Wire?

Post #: 67
RE: The Wire - 3/1/2007 5:11:26 PM   
elab49

Sorry for fans but Sopranos doesn't compare - Sopranos is like over-the-top operatic approach to TV. Very well done but something I never took too.

The Wire is simply the best thing on TV. Almost ever. The layering the writers have created over 4 seasons of class is simply unmatched in anything else they've had the courage to put on TV.

quote:

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 68
RE: The Wire - 3/1/2007 5:22:35 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Comparing The Sopranos and The Wire is impossible. The shows are chalk and cheese. The Sopranos isn't as 'real' as The Wire. I haven't seen all four seasons of The Wire but from what I've read it's remained more consistently excellent than The Sopranos which has suffered a slight dip in form.

quote:

I thought the swearing was just a touch over the top.

Just wait till you get to the scene where McNulty and Bunk investigate a crime scene!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 69
RE: The Wire - 3/1/2007 5:30:32 PM   
elab49

Indeed. And the swearing never seemed anything other than perfectly natural to me - perhaps it is a little more common to the experience of some than others? People like Ed Burns and David Simon know where they are writing about - from Homicide and Oz through to the Wire. They aren't going to pretty up language when everything else is based on real life.

quote:

Post #: 70
RE: The Wire - 17/1/2007 5:28:49 PM   
TheBunk

I've been watching this show again from S1 and am now finishing S3 so I thought I'd add some thoughts to this thread.

It is truly a great show and the best thing about it is the long wait for it to start paying off because when it does it is truly magnificent.

Some of my favourite bits:
S1 - after Kima gets shot, watching everyone pulling together is amazing considering what has gone before.
Burell telling Daniels to keep Lester and Pres for the detail - genius!
Rawls asking McNulty where he wants to go.

S2 - Omar in court
Bunk's description of McNulty - 'when he ain't  policing, he's a picture postcard of a drunken self destructive fuck up and when he is policing... he's pretty much the same motherfucker'

S3 - Cutty going straight and being successful with his gym, especially the part when he asks Avon for money.
Brother Mouzone and Omar teaming up.
Seeing Avon go away properly

I like the way that it's difficult to tell what matters and what doesn't, and how many near misses both the cops and the crooks have. Unlike most cop shows, there's no reliance on one bit of DNA evidence (CSI style) or big gunfights. The agonising struggle to put a case together is all on screen and it's hard to tell if you should root for the charismatic guerilla/freedom fighter style of Omar or the cold business style of Stringer.

Only one thing's for certain - 'fuck the bosses' who are the real enemies of progress.

"He is going to put a bullet in my head before I can say hello and then he's going to turn the gun on himself."
"We'll make sure he doesn't turn the gun on himself."

"Our situation has not improved"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 71
RE: The Wire - 17/1/2007 6:12:26 PM   
sharkboy

There are times when I browse this site wearing my shiny green moderator coat, and my head bows in despair at the quality of the threads being posted in other forums.  Then I come into Small Screen and there on the top half of the first page are threads dedicated to The Wire, West Wing, Studio 60, Battlestar Galactica and Rome and suddenly my faith in the people on this forum is restored 

Give yourselves a resounding pat on the back for having impeccable viewing taste

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to TheBunk)
Post #: 72
RE: The Wire - 18/1/2007 8:51:29 AM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

There are times when I browse this site wearing my shiny green moderator coat, and my head bows in despair at the quality of the threads being posted in other forums.  Then I come into Small Screen and there on the top half of the first page are threads dedicated to The Wire, West Wing, Studio 60, Battlestar Galactica and Rome and suddenly my faith in the people on this forum is restored 

Give yourselves a resounding pat on the back for having impeccable viewing taste

Cheers. I'm on the final episode of season 2 and this show if fantastic. Great build up and great storylines.

I'll be first in line wine season 3 comes out on play.com

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 73
RE: The Wire - 30/1/2007 11:52:25 PM   
Bobby B

Ordered Season 3 from Play.... hopefully will come on Sat as they are usually pretty good with Preorders....

Cannot wait! Perfect timing too as it will tide me over perfectly till season 4 starts on FX!

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 74
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 10:04:06 AM   
Zaphod121

when does Seaason 4 start on FX?

(in reply to Bobby B)
Post #: 75
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 10:11:51 AM   
elab49

Front page of the channels website says Feb 13th at 10pm. That'd be a Tuesday.

So, for those with taste in TV, you can go from BSG on Sky One to The Wire for an incredible 2 hours plus of TVish goodness.!

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 76
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 1:05:01 PM   
filmburner30

Charlie Brooker Recommended this on his show and i am now getting into it Trouble is the box sets are ruddy expensive even online and HMV never put them in offers only toss on toast like the OC seems to get that honour, shame

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 77
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 1:14:23 PM   
elab49

Tis an HBO thing I'm afraid. OC is standard network crap.

quote:

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 78
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 1:15:57 PM   
Niate

The lowest price that I have found is on Play, where season 1&2 are 23.99 each in sale. While it's still a decent amount of money I don't think that's too much to ask for 13 one hour episodes of quality drama. When things like the Sopranos, or The West Wing come out originally the asking RRP is usually above £50.
I think The Wire has to be one of the best tv shows in recent memory. Faultless.

Post #: 79
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 1:24:44 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

ORIGINAL: Niate

The lowest price that I have found is on Play, where season 1&2 are 23.99 each in sale. While it's still a decent amount of money I don't think that's too much to ask for 13 one hour episodes of quality drama. When things like the Sopranos, or The West Wing come out originally the asking RRP is usually above £50.
I think The Wire has to be one of the best tv shows in recent memory. Faultless.

Cheers for that i  just had a brain storm why dont HBO launch a channel over here showing all there stuff in one place rather than strewn out across other channels?
I for one would watch although you can stream it off the net i am sure everyone would tune in to See Sopranos The Wire,Band Of Brothers,And Curb Your Enthusiasm all banded together HBO uk Anyone?

(in reply to Niate)
Post #: 80
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 2:06:46 PM   
elab49

I doubt it would be financially viable - they earn a lot more selling rights to the highest bidder than they would for standard advertising revenue on a pay channel.

quote:

Post #: 81
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 3:56:47 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I doubt it would be financially viable - they earn a lot more selling rights to the highest bidder than they would for standard advertising revenue on a pay channel.

i know but i dont half hate the way some channels treat HBOS output at least when they work with the beeb they get good showtimes Five Days and Band Of Brothers being good examples ch4and 5 take note and will some terrestial channel pick up the wire or better still lets have FX on freeeview

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 82
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 4:00:53 PM   
elab49

Technically Five Days is the beebs own, with some co-funding. But it may be more to do with either the investment being their own (unless you watched the Innocence Project) or it is big even TV like Band of Brothers. And all channels screw around - the Beeb used to do it regularly with its SF/Fantasy output on BBC2 (as in oops, we were planning this series and look the Olympics popped up in the middle unexpectedly so it is cancelled for a month!) - although I think Channel 4 is the worst offender as that was the first time I gave up on a show completely on TV with The West Wing and only bought it on DVD from about Season 3 because the scheduling was obscene.

And now was have ITV4 trailing big for showing genre shows and then just stopping them a few shows in with no reason given.

At least FX start a show, keep it in slot and finish it. Or have done in my experience so far.

The worst news for any TV fan at the moment? Channel 4 bought Studio 60. What the point was I don't know - they didn't know what to do with The West Wing from Season 2 onwards - multiple transmission slots, then stopping, then late then just satellite!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 31/1/2007 4:02:01 PM >

quote:

Post #: 83
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 4:07:08 PM   
TheBunk

Unfortunately The Wire will never really get the kind of audience it deserves. I doubt it will ever make it to terrestrial.

I tried to get my sister to watch it. She didn't last two episodes because it was boring and she didn't understand it. She's just too used to CSI.

On the other hand I've been spoilt by The Wire and I can't find any interest in the episodic TV shows these days. I need more than the cheap popcorn mysteries.

"He is going to put a bullet in my head before I can say hello and then he's going to turn the gun on himself."
"We'll make sure he doesn't turn the gun on himself."

"Our situation has not improved"

Post #: 84
RE: The Wire - 31/1/2007 5:21:37 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBunk

On the other hand I've been spoilt by The Wire and I can't find any interest in the episodic TV shows these days. I need more than the cheap popcorn mysteries.

Ditto - I find myself less tolerant of the episode of the week type show as you really see more clearly how repetitive they become that bit more quickly.

And the quality of the writing on The Wire does spoil you.

quote:

(in reply to TheBunk)
Post #: 85
RE: The Wire - 1/2/2007 12:43:05 PM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheBunk

Ditto - I find myself less tolerant of the episode of the week type show as you really see more clearly how repetitive they become that bit more quickly.

And the quality of the writing on The Wire does spoil you.

Agreed.  I can't wait to get my hands on Season 3 from amazon having seen 1&2. From what I've heard, S4 is the best yet.

5 seasons will be a good run for the Wire. At least it will go out on top and not go stale like other shows.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 86
RE: The Wire - 1/2/2007 1:08:17 PM   
filmburner30

quote:

Technically Five Days is the beebs own, with some co-funding. But it may be more to do with either the investment being their own (unless you watched the Innocence Project) or it is big even TV like Band of Brothers. And all channels screw around - the Beeb used to do it regularly with its SF/Fantasy output on BBC2 (as in oops, we were planning this series and look the Olympics popped up in the middle unexpectedly so it is cancelled for a month!) - although I think Channel 4 is the worst offender as that was the first time I gave up on a show completely on TV with The West Wing and only bought it on DVD from about Season 3 because the scheduling was obscene.

And now was have ITV4 trailing big for showing genre shows and then just stopping them a few shows in with no reason given.

At least FX start a show, keep it in slot and finish it. Or have done in my experience so far.

The worst news for any TV fan at the moment? Channel 4 bought Studio 60. What the point was I don't know - they didn't know what to do with The West Wing from Season 2 onwards - multiple transmission slots, then stopping, then late then just satellite!

This is True ch4 buried series 5 of the Sopranos to late nights because of sodding big brother.
BBC wrecked Seinfield and Larry Saunders in this way also,oh and btw did you know that since 24 moved over to SKY ratings have dropped like a stone why do TV shedulers hate certain Quality US shows ? iam still waiting for K street  to get an airing here.
ch5 has been a bit more sensible but they seem obsessed with CSI 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 87
RE: The Wire - 1/2/2007 1:09:41 PM   
filmburner30

OH and ITV with Numbers and Entourage what the F**k are you doing

Post #: 88
RE: The Wire - 1/2/2007 6:09:28 PM   
Bobby B

Play have packed my order for series 3..... sweeeeet

Post #: 89
RE: The Wire - 1/2/2007 8:29:03 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: filmburner30
iam still waiting for K street  to get an airing here.

I feel quite guilty reading that - I bought it when it was released and it has been sitting in my too watch pile ever since. I really must get round to it!

quote:

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI