Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Wire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Wire - 7/8/2006 3:21:27 PM   
Zaphod121

Ive finished the second season, and I definitly thought it was better than first, I really wanna see the 3rd season now 

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
RE: The Wire - 11/8/2006 1:58:30 PM   
sharkboy

If you can't wait until next month for Season 3, it came out on R1 this week.  Season 4 begins on HBO on Sunday September 10th.  HBO have released the following:

quote:

For Immediate Release

Aug. 3, 2006

ACCLAIMED PEABODY-WINNING DRAMA SERIES THE WIRE KICKS OFF FOURTH SEASON SEPT. 10, EXCLUSIVELY ON HBO

The Peabody Award-winning drama series THE WIRE kicks off its 13-episode fourth season SUNDAY, SEPT. 10 (10:00-11:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO.

Season four of THE WIRE centers on the lives of four young boys as they traverse adolescence in the drug-saturated streets of West Baltimore. The new episodes of the series examine their world through the theme of education, asking viewers to consider the world that awaits these boys, and to consider further the American commitment to equal opportunity.

"The American obsession with police procedural and crime drama usually only allows for villains - in large part, black and brown - who exist as foils, to be pursued and destroyed by cop heroes," says series creator and executive producer David Simon. "We're addressing ourselves to where the 'villains' actually come from, and whether we have any right to regard them as somehow less human than the rest of us."

This season of THE WIRE is based in large part on the experiences of writer and producer Edward Burns, who taught social studies for seven years in the Baltimore school system after serving 20 years as a city police detective.

"If anything," says Burns, "our depiction of an inner-city school system, its problems and its unwillingness to fully address those problems, is a very generous one."

The stories of Michael, Namond, DuQuan and Randy take place against the rise of a new narcotics empire in West Baltimore - (edited to keep spoiler-free) - and the resulting struggle by Baltimore detectives to mount an investigation against this new power.

Returning cast regulars from the first three seasons of THE WIRE include Dominic West, Sonja Sohn, Lance Reddick, Wendell Pierce, Robert Wisdom, Deirdre Lovejoy, Clarke Peters, Domenick Lombardozzi, Seth Gilliam, Jim True-Frost, Aidan Gillen, Jamie Hector, Chad L. Coleman, Michael K. Williams, John Doman, Frankie R. Faison, Andre Royo, Isiah Witlock, JD Williams, Glynn Turman and Corey Parker-Robinson.

New cast regulars this season include Reg E. Cathey (HBO's "Everyday People") as Norman Wilson, Councilman Carcetti's advisor; Gbenga Akinnagbe as Chris Partlow, a ruthless assassin for drug lord Marlo Stanfield; and, playing the four friends who are classmates at Edward J. Tilghman Middle School, Jermaine Crawford ("A Midsummer Night's Dream" at the Shakespeare Theater in Washington, D.C.) as Duquan "Dukie" Weems, Maestro Harrell ("Ali") as Randy Wagstaff, Julito McCullum ("Akeelah and the Bee") as Namond Brice and Tristan Wilds (Spike Lee's "Miracle Boys") as Michael Lee.
Among the directors this season are series veterans Dan Attias, Brad Anderson, Joe Chappelle, Ernest Dickerson, Agnieszka Holland, Christine Moore and Alex Zakrzewski. New directors this season include Jim McKay (HBO's "Everyday People"), Seith Mann ("Grey's Anatomy"), David Platt ("Law & Order") and Anthony Hemingway ("CSI: New York").

The writing staff of THE WIRE includes David Simon, who penned two books of narrative nonfiction, "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets," which inspired the hit series "Homicide: Life on the Street," and "The Corner: A Year in the Life of an Inner-City Neighborhood," which inspired the Emmy(r)-winning HBO miniseries "The Corner"; Ed Burns, a former Baltimore police detective and Baltimore city public school teacher who coauthored "The Corner" with Simon; Eric Overmeyer, a noted playwright ("On the Verge") and veteran TV writer for such dramas as "St. Elsewhere" and "Homicide: Life on the Street"; Bill Zorzi, a former political writer and editor for the Baltimore Sun; and David Mills, who was one of the writers on "The Corner," as well as a writer for "NYPD Blue" and "Homicide: Life on the Street." Also writing for the series this season are novelists Dennis Lehane ("Shutter Island," "Mystic River"), George Pelecanos ("Hard Revolution," "Right as Rain") and Richard Price ("Clockers," "Samaritan"), and playwright Kia Corthron ("Breath, Boom").

That's some writing talent for a show that this time last year was being cancelled!  Best of all, Omar's still around  And it's nice to see Bunny Colvin hasn't bowed out following his retirement

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 11/8/2006 2:01:40 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 32
RE: The Wire - 28/8/2006 11:14:19 PM   
VincentHanna

Think I'm gonna have to look for the season 3 region 1 boxset.....play.com now say that the region 2 won't be released til next year!
It's also disappeared off the amazon.co.uk listings, but is still on sendit.com.

Have been looking forward to this for ages......not happy........

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 33
RE: The Wire - 28/8/2006 11:36:29 PM   
mfj fratelli

You mean this?

I bought this last week. (Region 1)  It helps that I'm a Yank though.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 34
RE: The Wire - 29/8/2006 9:09:51 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Watched 8 episodes of Season 2 over the weekend and plan on finishing it off this week.  I love it.  I'm not saying this is any less than Season 1 but I am missing String, Avon and Omar a bit 

quote:

"The American obsession with police procedural and crime drama usually only allows for villains - in large part, black and brown - who exist as foils, to be pursued and destroyed by cop heroes," says series creator and executive producer David Simon. "We're addressing ourselves to where the 'villains' actually come from, and whether we have any right to regard them as somehow less human than the rest of us."

That's one of the things I love about this series.  You actually find yourself caring about what happens to the baddies.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 35
RE: The Wire - 30/8/2006 10:05:15 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Watched 8 episodes of Season 2 over the weekend and plan on finishing it off this week.  I love it.  I'm not saying this is any less than Season 1 but I am missing String, Avon and Omar a bit 

quote:

That's one of the things I love about this series.  You actually find yourself caring about what happens to the baddies.

Exactly - it's great to see the writers not only going out of their way to avoid the usual cultural stereotypes, but actually fleshing the characters out to such an extent.  That (along with the complexity of plots that credit its viewers with more than just a modicum of intelligence) is what makes this show stand head and shoulders above the competition.

And good news if you like watching the Barksdale crew - there's plenty of them in Season 3

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 36
RE: The Wire - 6/9/2006 12:07:38 AM   
VincentHanna

No region 2 for season 3 for a good long while. I noticed play.com had the release date put back to 01/03/2007 so I emailed Warner UK to see what the crack is.

Their reply included the following: "At present we have no confirmed date for this title but we are still planning its release."

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 37
RE: The Wire - 6/9/2006 8:21:33 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
And good news if you like watching the Barksdale crew - there's plenty of them in Season 3

Excellent!  Missing them already

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 38
RE: The Wire - 11/9/2006 8:39:01 PM   
elab49

No TV show I can think of has EVER had this quality of review. The links also include some info on the first epis - TV Guide type stuff rather than out and out spoilers although slight spoiler from them AFTER the link

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/24453

Pres decides to be a teacher instead!??!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 39
RE: The Wire - 11/9/2006 9:09:23 PM   
Mycroft

Really looking forward to this. The only blemish for me is Aiden Gillen, I don't think he's that strong an actor, and his accent is dodgy.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 40
RE: The Wire - 11/9/2006 10:48:22 PM   
elab49

I agree the accent can vary - and it particularly noticeable in a show with a couple of Brits with excellent accents. But I think he has very much the right kind of malicious energy for the part and acquitted himself well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 41
RE: The Wire - 12/9/2006 9:45:51 AM   
sharkboy

Anyone watched the new episode yet?  It's only episode 1 of season 4, but my head's already swimming at the potential of the new storylines.  Some fine performances too from the younger members of the cast.

WWLD?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 42
RE: The Wire - 12/9/2006 10:35:50 PM   
elab49

Spoilers

First thought was the kid at the start - who I know think may be a a woman! - needs serious subtitles.

And then the music! I loved the old stuff - but it is an interesting change. Younger - possibly to match the school setting?

Fabulous as usual apart from that. McNulty is serenely happy - which is terrifyingly scary. Something Bunk seems to agree with with the horrifed look on his face at the suggestion of dinner. But just wonderful scenes all through - particularly Carver and McNulty turning up at Bodie's corner - who'd have thought he'd still be here.

Again, the quality of the layering is simply unmatched in any TV anywhere. I particularly liked the very subtle links to that house in the District Tommy visited - I wonder just how many bodies they'll find if he does get a clean-up crew round?

Only gripe - I saw Omar's name in the title and then I DID NOT SEE OMAR!! Apart from that? Wonderful stuff - great to see it back.

And it took me a couple of goes to recognise Tommy's campaign guy too. 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 14/9/2006 9:41:22 AM >

quote:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 43
RE: The Wire - 13/9/2006 7:30:15 PM   
Captain Black

Unfortunately I won't be able to chip in with any S4 discussions for quite some time, more importantly: according to Variety, The Wire will have a fifth season.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117949949?categoryid=1417&cs=1&s=h&p=0

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 44
RE: The Wire - 13/9/2006 7:55:00 PM   
elab49

Superb news!

Captain Black - how would you prefer discussions of S4 to go? Is this thread OK with spoilers appropriately noted or would it be better in another thread?

quote:

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 45
RE: The Wire - 13/9/2006 8:08:02 PM   
Captain Black

I'm fine with them here, but if the text could be coloured so they're easier to skim that would be the best solution. I don't imagine there will be sufficient traffic to warrant another thread, and I'd like to read the posts once I've caught up. Any objections?

Full invisio is:
[*color=#F1F1F1] text here [*/color]

Just remove the asterisks.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 46
RE: The Wire - 13/9/2006 10:19:26 PM   
elab49

Good job you gave the code - it is different to the font instructions I've used elsewhere.

quote:

Post #: 47
RE: The Wire - 16/9/2006 10:25:44 PM   
Dar 75

Does anyone know if channel FX are gonna show series 4 sometime?
I hope so because i think this is the finest cop show out there and HBO have commisioned a fifth(and unfortunately final) series already

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 48
RE: The Wire - 29/9/2006 8:01:21 PM   
elab49

Well - after complaining about no Omar we certainly saw more than enough of him this week!  The series continues to be quite breathtakingly superb as it builds and builds. Bunny returns too, and school is in. McNulty is still happy, Rawls and Burrell have trouble not actually caused by him for once - but I was surprised that Lester accepted the get out from Rawls. Kima and Sydnor could look after themselves.

And just some wonderful bits as usual - Omar trying to find somewhere to put his gun and then the wander to the shops, as everyone scatters from his path. The look between Bubs and Pres. Pres, not surprisingly, being ineffectual in the classroom.

And we are back to the politics of drugs again - I loved the conference in the boardroom! You wonder just how far Bodie is going to go - he clearly listened to Stringer.

The kids are excellent.

quote:

(in reply to Dar 75)
Post #: 49
RE: The Wire - 31/10/2006 9:15:53 PM   
Mycroft

Damn, that was a beautiful season. So much optimism to see most of it squandered in the same old shit. Very little Dominic West, but it's just so easy to go along with The Wire's unpredictable story and focus that none of it matters, I just can't fault it, you could almost meditate to it.  So much to look forward to next time, looks like a return to Season 1 style police work. All of the episodes are on torrents now, I recommend a 13 hour marathon.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 50
RE: The Wire - 1/11/2006 12:34:09 PM   
elab49

Ditto - bless DVD screeners. THey were all released about 2-3 weeks ago so the quality of viewing US schedule this year was excellent.

Still trying to put an overall review together. Epi 5 did make me laugh out loud though - searching high high high searching low low low!

quote:

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 51
RE: The Wire - 6/11/2006 9:28:08 PM   
lbiu

I feel like a FOOL!!!!

Where the fuck did this show come from.....I accidentely stumbled on a DVD set and looked at the cover thinking I was going to get the standard cop and robbers bullshit, but have now opended my eyes to what I consider the best TV series in years..maybe ever. I just love the character development and I love the shade of grey....I love the contrast of the inept police force with the "booming" and intricate drug empire...I love how the gangs and cops are parallel to each other but share the same values and have similar personalities....I JUST LOVE THIS SHOW!!! Now I am off to buy seasons 2 and 3.

My Homer is not a communist. He may be a liar, a pig, an idiot, a communist, but he is not a porn star.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 52
RE: The Wire - 6/11/2006 11:52:19 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: lbiu

I feel like a FOOL!!!!

Where the fuck did this show come from.....I accidentely stumbled on a DVD set and looked at the cover thinking I was going to get the standard cop and robbers bullshit, but have now opended my eyes to what I consider the best TV series in years..maybe ever. I just love the character development and I love the shade of grey....I love the contrast of the inept police force with the "booming" and intricate drug empire...I love how the gangs and cops are parallel to each other but share the same values and have similar personalities....I JUST LOVE THIS SHOW!!! Now I am off to buy seasons 2 and 3.

It's always great to hear from another fan of the show. However, I wouldn't use the term inept to describe McNulty & Co. It's more like, um...... stifled. Yeah, stifled by the administrative powers-that-be.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to lbiu)
Post #: 53
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2006 5:01:55 PM   
Captain Black

I agree inept isn't the right word. As Fratelli said at The Wire's core is a struggle between those who enforce the law and all the legal requirements they must meet in order to do their job - all requirements that Barksdale et al are aware of and use to their advantage.Admittedly some of the po-lice can be described as inpet. Prez is a screw up, despite having other admirable qualities; Herc is just a bully; Carver finally finds his feet in S3. Up the ladder everyone is out for themselves, and those who try and make the best of the situation pay the price.

I finished watching S3 quite recently and it was magnificent. Gripping, thought-provoking, angry but ultimately optimistic. No other show deftly deals with such an array of thoroughly real characters. It's the smaller moments and attention to detail that continues to astonish; how nothing is forgotten and everyone exists outside of the screen time they receive.

For those who've seen S4 from screeners, what's the image quality like? The Wire isn't shot in HD, so the HBO broadcasts always look a bit poor compared to other shows, I just wondered about the DVD rips.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 54
RE: The Wire - 7/11/2006 7:35:56 PM   
Mycroft

I hadn't even thought about it not being HD till now, kind of a shame. Maybe they don't have the budget? The screeners are fine, a bit like someones smeared vaseline over the camera, not much worse than normal. I'd take a camera phone recording as long as I could watch it all in one go. And everyone has to buy the boxset anyway, or else...

< Message edited by Mycroft -- 7/11/2006 7:36:22 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2006 1:35:22 PM   
Captain Black

Just a shame they're so bloody expensive, really. *Shakes fist at HBO*

I don't know exactly why it's not shot in HD, it must be one of the few US shows that isn't, but it is a money saver and one of the reasons it's still on the air. Deadwood got far higher ratings, but its budget was significantly higher than the GDP of third world nations; in comparison The Wire costs about 50p. Combined with David Simon's commitment to it (where Milch, for whatever reasons, was happy to move on) and the praise it received in the press, is the main reason it's going to be back for a fifth season.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Mycroft)
Post #: 56
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2006 1:41:43 PM   
great_badir

Anyone have any idea of this will ever be shown on terrestrial or freeview?  I started watching season 1 when Sky first started showing it about 4 years ago.  And then they stopped showing it about 6 or 7 episodes in   Then we moved house and we haven't been able to afford sky/digital since.

So here I am, one of the few to have seen it when it began, from the beginning...........yet I've missed 95% of the chuffing program - GAH!

< Message edited by great_badir -- 8/11/2006 1:42:51 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 57
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2006 1:59:42 PM   
Captain Black

Sky had it originally? Didn't realise that. Only found out they showed The West Wing the other day. Seems pretty unlikely that it ever will be (broadcast on freeview/terrestrial that is). F/X have the rights and Vertigo(...woo...yay) works for them so no doubt he'd be able to let us know about rights issues and so on, but realistically I can't see this sort of show being broadcast any time soon.

Some of the ITV digital channels may be the best bet as they tend to look for older and sometimes cult shows just to pad their schedules out a little. It's a shame really as The Wire appears to be treated quite badly by HBO in comparison to their other bigger name shows, and as far as I'm concerned it's the best of the lot.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 8/11/2006 2:00:45 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 58
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2006 2:13:26 PM   
Karpethian

just got a mail from play.com saying that season 3 will be available in february for around 30 quid.

Post #: 59
RE: The Wire - 8/11/2006 3:47:47 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Sky had it originally? Didn't realise that.

Yep - if memory serves it was their replacement for one of their other US drama series after that came to an end (24 is the obvious choice, but I don't think it was that).  I'm guessing no one watched it, though and Sky replaced it before they even got halfway through.  Probably with series 2 of 24, ironically enough.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Wire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI