Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Wire

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Wire Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Wire - 1/1/2006 7:06:50 PM   
Captain Black

Well, I've just finished watching season 2  () and need to know if any fans of this show (which presumably is anyone with a modicum of intelligence who has actually watched it) knows of a release date for the season 3 DVDs?

Feel free to wax lyrical about what is inarguably the best police show in history. Be careful of season 3 spoilers though - I've not seen that yet  (hence the above request) .

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]
Post #: 1
RE: The Wire - 1/1/2006 7:25:16 PM   
RFK

I bought Season 1 and thought it was very good but can't afford the 30 for season 2 after over-spending in general  Really will make an effort to save up before the summer so I can watch it after Uni.

iMMeRse yOUr SoUL iN LoVe

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 2
RE: The Wire - 1/1/2006 11:11:51 PM   
elab49

There have been unexplained delays on the season 3 release in the US, although artwork was apparently released some time ago. The latest, for them, is a rumour that the R1 season 3 will appear next summer so no doubt some time to go for us I am afraid.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to RFK)
Post #: 3
RE: The Wire - 2/1/2006 2:05:13 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I'm halfway through Season 1 after splurging out on the DVD's. Season 3 is apparently being released on DVD in the U.S sometime in the Summer, so we won't get it till even later presumably (though could get lucky and get it earlier)

RFK, where can Season 2 be bought for 30?

Found the box-art, which is subject to change:

(in reply to RFK)
Post #: 4
RE: The Wire - 2/1/2006 3:17:26 AM   
Jack's Rage

Certainly a contender for the best police show ever.  But can someone explain to me why the HBO shows are so damn expensive on DVD.  And if they do have to cost so much the least they could do is include some good extra material.  

Its already done so shut up!

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 5
RE: The Wire - 2/1/2006 11:09:45 AM   
Captain Black

That's a very nice cover for Season 3. Is that Stringer in the reflection? I anticipate going the R1 route - after hearing that The Shield didn't sell well enough to justify its release it makes me fearful for The Wire being released over here at all. I imagine they'll probably wait until Season 4 begins its broadcast, some time in Sepetember over in the States.

I agree that HBO shows are damn expensive - and the reason is presumably that they can get away with it! The last time I saw Season 2 in HMV it was 50. They must having a giraffe! Having said that it's a matter of perspective compared to films, that's 13 hours of cinema quality  compared to two hours for 20 (ish) for a film. It's still a lot in one go though.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Jack's Rage)
Post #: 6
RE: The Wire - 2/1/2006 12:10:11 PM   
elab49

Amazon had The Wire and Carnivale at 27.99 at one point - no idea what the price is now. But it was that a couple of weeks before Xmas.

What is more annoying, since HBO get away with it, the Beeb did the same with a ludicrous price for 13 * 45min epis for Dr Who. Even less than the Wire!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 7
RE: The Wire - 2/1/2006 3:47:31 PM   
sharkboy

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - The Wire is simply the best cop show ever to grace the TV airwaves, and is a serious contender for the best show of any type ever.  It's slow-burning brilliance rewards the viewer a hundredfold with some of the most intelligent plots, best dialogue and superb characters ever shown.  There was a great quote by a TV critic that summed up the show perfectly, that went along the lines of "most cop shows aspire to Chandler. The Wire aspires to Dostoevsky".

I'll not spoil any of the Season 3 plot, but it has the greatest finale of any of the series so far.  Thankfully, due to massive critical acclaim and fan pressure, HBO have done a 180 on their decision to axe the show after S3 and there will now be a 4th Season showing later this year.  I for one can't wait.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: The Wire - 3/1/2006 9:50:53 AM   
Captain Black

quote:

sharkboy:
"most cop shows aspire to Chandler. The Wire aspires to Dostoevsky".

Very nice.

It's surprising in a way that this particular show gets so little promotion from HBO at least in comparison to some of their other shows. It never seems to get any sort of recognition come awards seasons, maybe a writing nomination (A lot of this could be the rather stupid way the Emmy's are voted for - only certain episodes submitted rather than voting based on a complete season - but that's for a different thread I think) but that's about it.

There's an interview on the hbo site with Ed Burns about how he went from working as a homicide detective to eventually teaching and how that is influencing the Season 4 content (so spoiler warning).

Invisiotext:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 9
RE: The Wire - 6/1/2006 10:40:52 AM   
Neth

Well, I've pissed and moaned for ages that I've been wanting to watch The Wire (having seen bits of it on FX but never sat through a whole episode for fear of not having a clue what's going on). A generous friend bought me season one for Christmas, so I sat down last night to watch some of it.

I only got through the first episode before I had to turn it off - for fear of falling asleep and missing something. The rest of my weekend is now being dedicated to watching the remainder of the series, because going on first impressions, this show fucking rocks. Hopefully I can get seasons 1 & 2 watched before FX start season 3 mid-January.

(and yeah, I know I could just download them, but I have a nasty habit of doing that with TV shows and then never bothering to watch them)

"You taste like a burger. I don't like you anymore."

Post #: 10
RE: The Wire - 12/1/2006 8:59:05 AM   
MartinBlank76

Just started watching season 2. I have been assured it lives up to season 1, if so I am in for a treat! Just glad to see that mad mofo Omar is back

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to Neth)
Post #: 11
RE: The Wire - 12/1/2006 11:11:12 AM   
elab49

Aaah, Omar. Wonderful Omar.

I always thought Richard Cross on the stand would remain, by far, my favourite court-room scene. Omar doesn't top it - but he sure as hell comes close. Michael K Williams is one very charismatic performer.

One of the best scenes of the entire 3 series - IMO - is a stunning scene with him and Bunk.

quote:

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 12
RE: The Wire - 12/1/2006 11:22:20 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Aaah, Omar. Wonderful Omar.

I always thought Richard Cross on the stand would remain, by far, my favourite court-room scene. Omar doesn't top it - but he sure as hell comes close. Michael K Williams is one very charismatic performer.

One of the best scenes of the entire 3 series - IMO - is a stunning scene with him and Bunk.

If you're referring to the scene on the park bench where Bunk appeals to Omar's civic duty then I'd have to agree, though my favourite scene is always going to be McNulty & Bunk investigating the crime scene of the girl that was shot through the window.  Puts a nonsense to the saying that swearing was the sign of a limited vocabulary, when one simple word can express so many thoughts!

I thought Omar was woefully underused in the 3rd series, though when he finally does step up...wow!

I have to admit, it still comes as a surprise to watch the preview ads for Season 3 on FX and hear the English accents coming from Stringer and McNulty - just goes to show how convincing their performances are that they are so easily acceptable as streetwise Baltimoreans.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: The Wire - 12/1/2006 1:27:23 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

If you're referring to the scene on the park bench where Bunk appeals to Omar's civic duty then I'd have to agree, though my favourite scene is always going to be McNulty & Bunk investigating the crime scene of the girl that was shot through the window.  Puts a nonsense to the saying that swearing was the sign of a limited vocabulary, when one simple word can express so many thoughts!

I was

I've spent most of the series being amazed by the accents. I knew Elba from Ultraviolet, and along with West was impressed with the transformation. Gillen's isn't quite as good, but his performance is. Sleazeball.

quote:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 14
RE: The Wire - 12/1/2006 1:42:59 PM   
Dave Benson Philips

Does this programme contain scenes of graphic violence?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: The Wire - 12/1/2006 2:26:08 PM   
elab49

ish - occasionally. Ditto sex.

quote:

(in reply to Dave Benson Philips)
Post #: 16
RE: The Wire - 12/1/2006 2:33:54 PM   
Captain Black

May I ask how some of you have seen season 3? If it's being advertised on FX is it a repeat? Or have you 'acquired' it through another method? (I'm certainly planning on doing this myself if they don't get a move on with the DVDs).

Edit: Spoilers for S1 and S2 so colour removed, highlight if you want to read:

If we're talking favourite scenes; sharkboy's aforementioned 'Old Cases' scene was the one that really hooked me on the show, one other favourite from season 1 that springs to mind is when they're in the hospital after Kima's shooting and Rawls gives Jimmy one of the great motivational talks. I think that's the only time Rawls hasn't been seen as a complete bastard.

From season 2:
Omar testifying and Ziggy completely snapping trying to sell the Benz. Drunken Jimmy's pre-credits sequence was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

End.

Regarding the accents, I loved how West gave Jimmy a really bad fake English accent (if I recall, Hugh Laurie did something similar in House last year). I can't imagine Dominic West sounding anything other than like Jimmy McNulty either.

The Brits do quite well on HBO, don't they? McShane and the Rome cast spring to mind.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 19/2/2006 7:26:38 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: The Wire - 12/1/2006 3:39:07 PM   
elab49

Um - watched through very very bad ways that you shouldn't recommend to anyone?

That said, I have a couple of TV series I have friends in the US tape and send my every couple of weeks - as you can imagine, they get nice big Xmas pressie thank yous!

quote:

Post #: 18
RE: The Wire - 13/1/2006 1:56:36 AM   
batrico

Whens season three starting on FX?Anyone?

"I aim to misbehave"

"Oh God Oh God we're all Gonna Die"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: The Wire - 14/1/2006 5:21:54 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Season 3 of The Wire begins this Tuesday (17th Jan) at 9pm on FX.

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 20
RE: The Wire - 14/1/2006 5:43:33 PM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

Season 3 of The Wire begins this Tuesday (17th Jan) at 9pm on FX.

Indeed it does. Channel 270 on Sky, 10 on Homechoice and *coughIcan'tremembercough* on NTL.

Just in case anyone misses the premiere episodes, they're repeated the following Monday at 10pm.

You're welcome. And if any of you are BARB panel members, then you're doubly welcome.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 21
RE: The Wire - 5/2/2006 8:28:21 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Just watched the first 7 episodes of Season 1 today and love it!  I can't imagine that it will take me too long to finish it.

I love the bad guys (Avon, Stringer, D, Omar etc) as much as the good guys, the characters are all great.

Unfortunately I have Telewest who do not have the FX channel   However, my contract runs out with them next month and would consider going back to them for this channel (as well as the Sky+ box)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Vertigo...Woo.Yay.)
Post #: 22
RE: The Wire - 19/2/2006 7:24:52 PM   
Captain Black

Just thought I'd bump this as a duplicate has been created.

quote:

elab49: Um - watched through very very bad ways that you shouldn't recommend to anyone?

Oh yes, those
. Must admit I've lost patience and gone with the downloading route. HBO, will they never learn?

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 23
RE: The Wire - 1/3/2006 10:52:49 PM   
Zaphod121

this show is great, I've only seen the first 4 eps but I really love it

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 24
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2006 10:06:03 AM   
Zaphod121

I thought I'd jump start this thread agian as The Wire deserves to be known, I now finished season 1 and I bloody loved it

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 25
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2006 10:24:31 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Just recently been handed Season 2 and will be settling down for a marathon viewing session in the very near future!  If watching Season 1 is anything to go by I will be out of action for a couple of days as once I'd started watching it I couldn't stop 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 26
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2006 11:43:32 AM   
Zaphod121

I just watched the first episode of season 2, it was very good, agreat start to a new season, cant wait to see how things fold out

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 27
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2006 5:42:19 PM   
VincentHanna

Got both seasons on DVD. Hard pressed to decide which I actually think is better, but it is probably one of the best TV shows I've ever seen. Season 2 keeps so many characters from the first series, and then introduces so many more, and still keeps it all wrapped nicely together.
The stand out characters (out of so many well-written, realistic characters) for me have to be Jimmy McNulty himself, and Omar.
The great thing about it is it's nothing flashy, no gimmicks, just the real deal. That's what makes it so absorbing.

Season 3 DVD boxset is out in September and can be pre-ordered online from the usual places, price about 32 notes.

No one's listening to you. If you wanna complain, write it on a piece of paper. And shove it up your ass.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 28
RE: The Wire - 15/7/2006 6:06:33 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: VincentHanna

Season 3 DVD boxset is out in September and can be pre-ordered online from the usual places, price about 32 notes.

play says it comes out on 18/9/06

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to VincentHanna)
Post #: 29
RE: The Wire - 7/8/2006 11:03:06 AM   
elab49

After drugs, labour and politics, season 4 will bring in Education (Ed Burns is not only an ex-cop but also an ex-teacher). Starting 10/9/06 the 13 episodes will be provided by writers like Denis Lehane, Richard Price and George Pellecanos.

Already can't wait

quote:

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The Wire Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI