Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Opposite of their reviews as usual!!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Opposite of their reviews as usual!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Opposite of their reviews as usual!! - 15/8/2008 6:48:11 PM   
jonathanegan1

Ha ha, when Empire only gave this 2 stars I knew it would be good!! This site's a joke at reviewing films but it's the only one I can find based in UK/Ireland! I really enjoyed this film, yes it's cliched and predictable but its the action where the charm lies. Fraiser finally looks comfterable in the role, the brothers annoying quotes are limited thank god but when they do come out they're funny for a change. This film never lets up and I highly recommend it!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 61
mummy - 16/8/2008 12:03:15 AM   
moviemaniac2

Another installment of the Indiana Jones-inspired Mummy franchise.

Once again, Brendan Fraser is our lead, Rick O'Connell, although he’s handed over some of the swashbuckling duties to his on-screen offspring Alex - You won’t even begin to buy him as Fraser’s son - as Fraser looks younger than him, and they bear no physical similarities whatsoever.John Hannah is supposed to be the comic relief, but his inclusion feels like an afterthought and his one-liners lack wit. Still, It was an entertaining two hours

Post #: 62
RE: Opposite of their reviews as usual!! - 16/8/2008 1:33:14 PM   
Dunder_Mifflin

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonathanegan1

Ha ha, when Empire only gave this 2 stars I knew it would be good!! This site's a joke at reviewing films but it's the only one I can find based in UK/Ireland! I really enjoyed this film, yes it's cliched and predictable but its the action where the charm lies. Fraiser finally looks comfterable in the role, the brothers annoying quotes are limited thank god but when they do come out they're funny for a change. This film never lets up and I highly recommend it!!

thats 'cos your obviously a fucking retard!

I'm just glad my friend was paying for tickets. I wasn't expecting much after reading reviews. Was dissappointed by the lack of trailers for upcoming films and that annoying chris moyles show advert. Still, the Orange advert with Rob Lowe is good. What can I say about the film? The story scene-setting bit at the begining was silly and i realised that, after id seen the chocolate gooey stuff that is supposed to be terracota(it made me want galaxy!!!) this film was going to be a CGI romp fest. Bugger! Alex O'Connel, with his all-american looks and his charm. He was bearable when he was bearded and exploring, but as soon as he properly opened his mouth and had a shave, he was rubbish, never delivering his lines with the same punch that Brendan Fraser always did. As for Brendan Fraser, if only he had more to do. The 3rd film lacks screen time for him and he seems to force out many of his lines (especially when with Alex). I wouldn't be surprised if he regretted signing on for it. John Hannah, ah how he is great. Loved his Imhoteps bar, one of the only bits that made me laugh out loud.Hilarious and essential to a mummy film, even if the Yak joke was cheap and aimed at 4 year olds. You can tell though, and it's the same with Brendan Fraser, that they both miss Rachel Weizs. So integral is she in the O'Connel family, that you want to punch Maria Bello and her bad acting and shite posh english accent, kicking and screaming, off the screen. After about 20 minutes of this film, I got my phone out on silent and played sonic. THe only times I looked up were when Brendan Fraser and John Hannah came on screen. Oh yeah, the much-anticipated fight between Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh; about 2 minutes, if that, of silly camera angles when you dont actually see a thing! i heard clang clang clang and saw a bunch of colours, but no fighting. Same with the last fight between Rick and Jet Li's Emperor. Not so much as a quick fist seen, then back to that fluid camera movement, showing me nothing but blood sprays and making me feel dizzy.

Here is a list of 5 things the film should never have had
1. Yetis
2. The chinese replacing Mummies, who are so much cooler!
3. Maria Bello
4. An Alex O'Connel centered plot
5. Maria Bello (yes, i know i've put her twice)

ah, rachel, how we needed you!
[image]http://img5.allocine.fr/acmedia/rsz/434/x/x/x/medias/04/38/39/043839_ph2.jpg[/image]

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

(in reply to jonathanegan1)
Post #: 63
mummy 3 - 18/8/2008 9:46:38 PM   
HERMES_67

A truely dreadfull film in every sense. I was bored beyond belief after 30 mins. Save your money and wait for something half decent.

Post #: 64
SAVE YOUR MONEY & TIME!!!! PLEASE!!!! - 21/8/2008 5:22:23 PM   
Lex829

Ok to clarify I am not a hugely picky or eccentric film viewer. I will sit through anything that is fun and not glamorous and give it its due for what it is.
So please listen when I tell you that this film is AWFUL! I cannot truely believe that they released such a badly acted piece of work. I'm not joking when I say some of the acting from the lead lady, Maria Bello, (who was NOT a good choice) was straight from some bad local amateur theater! It actually sickens me that she got paid hundreds of thousands to do something so badly. Her accent is stunningly rubbish!
Yet Bello is equalled in her monotone and awfullness by the son (Luke Ford) who looks nothing like the original younger child and is not only a bad actor but also slightly fat with an almost pig nose which makes him irritating to just look at. He's barely believable as a human being!
Brendon Fraser and John Hannah are the only reason I didn't try to pull my own eyes out! Its a sad day when the best acting in a film is from CGI characters that can't even speak english!!

The previous films were good, THIS IS NOT!!!!!

Post #: 65
RE: SAVE YOUR MONEY & TIME!!!! PLEASE!!!! - 27/8/2008 9:10:53 AM   
Marvel_79

I don't like any of the Mummy films, so I'm not really qualified to talk about this, but my wife loves them hence why I went to see this one. My wife's view, she didn't hate it - Not exactly high praise for a film that follows a couple that she really enjoys. My view, just as ridiculous as the others, lets have some yeti's, an avalanche, an explosion etc... all those people that moaned about Indy in May, should go see this I'm sure they'd then find a new apprieciation for Indy IV, because this whole series is massively below the quality of even the weakest Indy movie

3/10

(in reply to Lex829)
Post #: 66
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 27/8/2008 4:35:06 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

This will get a lot of poor reviews but really it's no better/worse than the previous Mummy films (better than the Mummy Returns, at least).

Maria Bello is woefully miscast, the O'Connells' son looks the same age as Dad, and worst of all there aren't any creepy crawlies!

However, it is an enjoyable romp. If you liked the previous ones you certainly won't hate this, but if you're expecting some tour de force that Indy 4 wasn't, you might be disappointed.

Great special effects too.

More or less my thoughts. If you liked or even loved the previous Mummy films by Sommers (it is possible!) you should like or maybe love this but if you didn`t you won`t. Maria Bello looks nothing like Racheal Weiz and her English accent is too forced and although Brendon Fraser is actually old enough in real life to have a 20 year old son (hes 40) he doesn`t look it in the film. He barely looks like he`s in his late Thirities and hes supposed to be in in his late forties with his wife in this movie but they haven`t made him and Maria look that age. Honestly theres no pleasing some people there are far worse action movies than this. Its fun, has impressive effects and gets 4/5 from me. 

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 67
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 27/8/2008 6:38:48 PM   
kumar

This was Rob Cohen at his best and it was still pretty rubbish. cant quite put my finger on it, but its not up the "standard of entertainment" that the other 2 have. a few gripes:

*spoilers*

- maria bello was crap at being eve
- maria bello's voice was awful
- poor/lazy/shocking character introductions "yes dude, he is our son and need we remind you the only one we have" oh piss off please
- a son who looks like a brother
- a mother who looks like a sister
- a rubbish love interest
- michelle yeoh was wasted, her fight moves especially were wasted, same goes for jet li
- didnt really have a bit of sympathy for the emperor as i did for the original mummy, at least there was some menace about him
- jet li was a statue for the most part
- these curses are getting irritating, they are pretty rubbish in all of the films, why for instance would you curse someone when you kill them, bu then add on "oh hang on, if ever you get ressurected, ill give you this power and that power and you can do anything you want really, see? its not all that bad in the end..."
- on that note, at least The Mummy had that part established right at the start, whereas here in this film, it seems as if characters are listing his powers making them up as they go along. and then somehow the emperor is able to do them.
- the lead character dies and comes back to life again has been done already (see mummy 2)
- NO OMID DJILALI, SOMEONE CURSE HIM SO HE CAN COME BACK AND SEEK VENGEANCE!
-what the hell was that ending about? "mummies were found in peru soon after" that was incredibly amateur, i dont think ive seen a film where they would dare to set up a seuel like that

Good points

- john hannah was pretty funny in this film, he had some decent lines
- the yetis, i was in stitches watching them kick that man over the monument and then start cheering

so i think it was a pretty crap film. bring back stephen sommers

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 68
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 28/8/2008 9:51:17 AM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

*spoilers*

- maria bello was crap at being eve
- maria bello's voice was awful
- poor/lazy/shocking character introductions "yes dude, he is our son and need we remind you the only one we have" oh piss off please
- a son who looks like a brother
- these curses are getting irritating, they are pretty rubbish in all of the films, why for instance would you curse someone when you kill them, bu then add on "oh hang on, if ever you get ressurected, ill give you this power and that power and you can do anything you want really, see? its not all that bad in the end..."
- the lead character dies and comes back to life again has been done already (see mummy 2)

Good points

- the yetis, i was in stitches watching them kick that man over the monument and then start cheering

I agree with the above points Kumar but just like they shouldn`t bring someone back to life again as they`ve already done then surely having Omid Djilali as the Mummy again would have been too repetative too even if he is a better villian. It could have been better sure but I don`t think it was any worse than the other two movies and certainly better than most on here say it is.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 69
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 5/9/2008 6:50:08 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I loved it. I'm a huge fan of the previous films (even The Scorpion King) but I was unsure of what to expect here. Thankfully though, I had a ball. Yes, I know it's isn''t a great film by any standards, but I had a great time watching it, and that's what counts here. Really, the only downside to it was Maria Bello and her ever-changing accent. A fine actress but a poor show here. Other than that, just enjoyable hokum in its purest form - 4/5

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 70
If you fail once (or five times), please, please Rob Co... - 17/10/2008 3:17:12 PM   
industrialjunkie92

For 2 hours, The Mummy TOTDE, showcases Roc Cohen's most annoying traits, from disposable dialouge to thin and shallow characters. This only scrapes 3 stars for it's battle scenes, which are actually not bad, but in the end it's more an endurance test than anything else and once upon a time, wasn't it supposed to be fun?

Post #: 71
If you fail once (or five times), please, please Rob Co... - 17/10/2008 3:17:22 PM   
industrialjunkie92

For 2 hours, The Mummy TOTDE, showcases Roc Cohen's most annoying traits, from disposable dialouge to thin and shallow characters. This only scrapes 3 stars for it's battle scenes, which are actually not bad, but in the end it's more an endurance test than anything else and once upon a time, wasn't it supposed to be fun?

Post #: 72
Scummy - 4/12/2008 12:11:04 PM   
Empire Admin

You knew this was going to be shit when Maria Bello popped up as Rachel Weisz's replacement. She lacked absolutely everything that Weisz brought to the role and came across like a frigging mummy herself, i.e. completely stiff and lifeless . There are loads of talented Brit actresses who could have done a better job than her - the movie got off to a bad start with Bello's appearance and never recovered.

I really enjoyed the first two Mummy films but this was completely lacklustre, so much so I can't be bothered going any further -all I can say is I fully agree with the 2 stars Empire gave it

(in reply to industrialjunkie92)
Post #: 73
RE: Scummy - 4/12/2008 12:18:15 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

That's strange - the post above was by me, but it's showing Empire Admin!

Post #: 74
Won't Watch This - 4/12/2008 1:41:45 PM   
Halo14

Based on all your reviews, and the poor trailer, I will NOT watch this crap. And yes, I will still give it a 1 star!!

Post #: 75
RE: Won't Watch This - 4/12/2008 6:27:23 PM   
kargon

PISS POOR

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Halo14)
Post #: 76
RE: Won't Watch This - 4/12/2008 7:03:00 PM   
sanchia

A rather pointless film with some dubious CGI and a rather bland plot. One question. Why had was the son speaking with a very pronounced Texan (I believe) accent when previously he was noticably English?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 77
RE: Won't Watch This - 4/12/2008 8:11:30 PM   
darth silas

People are being too hard on this film.Its not supposed to be taken seriously.Its fun,its action packed.I had a good time.Unlike Indy 4,it actually entertained me.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 78
RE: Won't Watch This - 7/12/2008 3:08:53 AM   
krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

People are being too hard on this film.Its not supposed to be taken seriously.Its fun,its action packed.I had a good time.Unlike Indy 4,it actually entertained me.

There are plenty of movies that arent meant to be taken seriously and are still hugely entertaining but this was just shite

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 79
RE: Won't Watch This - 7/12/2008 1:48:20 PM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

There are plenty of movies that arent meant to be taken seriously and are still hugely entertaining but this was just shite

Absolutely. Worthless, incoherent, ineptly written, pitifully directed trash. Luckily a friend of mine had rented it, so I didn't shelve out any cash to see it.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 80
RE: Won't Watch This - 7/12/2008 4:22:22 PM   
darth silas

I just finished watching it again on Blu ray,i like it even more now.The battle in the snow with the Yetis is one of the best action sequences iv seen all year.Mario bello,i think,is quite good in this.She takes a liitle getting used to but shes fine.Wouldve peferred to have Weisz back but hey.Someone mentioned her accent seemed forced.I think this really comes from peoples knowing that shes(shock!)not actually english.Whenever i see irish actors playing american characters,i always think it seems a little forced.Anyway,Mario bello is HOT so i dont care!

And no nuclear explosive proof fridges in this film!

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 81
RE: Won't Watch This - 19/12/2008 1:03:09 PM   
Monkeyshaver

Well its not as bad as The Mummy Returns (how could it be?) but this was still a pretty forgettable blockbuster hampered by a dull estranged parent/son subplot & the computer game fx really let down the action sequences. Same because it had some good ideas, the yeti's, the final battle. Poor old Anthony Wong deserves better & they could have made more of the Yeoh v Li stuff with an appropriately skilled fight choreographer. Still, it was better than Indy 4!!

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 82
Oh no :-( - 9/3/2009 12:20:33 PM   
spilsburt

No no no no no! This has to be one of the worst third films in a triology of all time (Empire how about running a pole to confirm this).
The key problem for me is two fold:
1) Unbalanced and isolated characters -
The introduction of the Alex as a main action hero diminished Ricks character. I think this was also the problem with the most recent indiana Jones film, when you have too many protagonists it just gets messy and you care about neither of them.

Changing the actress who plays Evy meant that all of the emotional linkage between her and Rick are completely lost.

This combination of too many characters and little emopitanl linkage results in many scnes where the cast just looks completely uncomfortable and isolated.

Now if they had been clever they could have killed of Evy and Alex at the start of the film and given something for us to care about and removed this mess. But that is just my twisted mind.

2) CGI for the sake of CGI

The large portion of the film I would guess has been added to look good on trailers and DVD boxes, the worst example of this is the Yetis. For me this scene in the film was the final nail in the coffin..

The other reason I believe this is the case is that there a large potions of the films that are so dull you get the feeling that they made the CGI bits first and then worked out how they could tie these bits together without really caring how rubbish these scenes were.

I really wanted this film to work and perhaps with a little more patience a bit more spent on the script and less on the ffects it could have been a fine end to the trilogy, however it just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Post #: 83
- 29/10/2009 7:58:16 PM   
PureAinmhi

Absoulutely shocking. The first two movies of this series were great entertainment but this is taking it too far.
Just avoid at all costs.

Post #: 84
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor Review - 19/12/2011 2:26:35 PM   
the film man

With middling CG effects and a distinct lack of fun, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor finds the series past its prime.

Post #: 85
Diminishing returns - 12/3/2012 11:19:49 AM   
neopol

The third of The Mummy franchise, helmed so far by Steven Sommers, has now changed hands and the directorial duties have now fallen to action director, Rob Cohen. The difference was noticeable, as Cohen’s, the man behind such films as Daylight, xXx and The Fast And The Furious, tone was slightly harsher than Sommer’s effects heavy work. Also the recasting of Rachel’s Weisz’s lead, Evelyn with Maria Bello was jarring. Bello did a great job of taking her accent off, but clearly, she didn’t make the best effort to embody the character and the hole left by Weisz was emphasised greatly. I presume that she declined to reprise her role, as Rachel’s career has grown in integrity, rather than series regular’s Brendon Fraser and John Hannah’s, who clearly have not.

That’s not to say that I dislike Fraser, quite the opposite but lighthearted meathead roles suit him down to ground and he was a pleasure to watch but entertainment is the limit of his range. I was impressed with the casting of Luke Ford though, as Alex O’Connell, Fraser and Bello’s screen son. His striking resemblance to the younger version who starred in the Mummy Returns was uncanny to the point that I just HAD to confirm that it wasn’t the same lad!

The film was certainly watchable, but was lighter on plot than the previous two, relying on effect heavy-set pieces to take us through the motions of this Boys-own adventure, but there was little meat to this. Not to suggest that Summer’s was much better… The opening exposition as to who the Dragon Emperor was, was long and boring, with what seemed like an eternity of back story and narration being laid out before us.

There were some good ideas here and it wasn’t bad but it wasn’t particularly good either, offering no real justification as to why we needed a THIRD installment, and with Cohen’s tone being slightly less playful than his predecessor, it was hard to take this a seriously as Cohen seemed to want us too. This was disposable but far from unwatchable and this did in some ways impress me, simply by being much better than I expecting… Bit that is saying much though…

But again, no more please…

< Message edited by neopol -- 12/3/2012 11:29:44 AM >

Visit my movie blog, nEoFILM @ http://neofilm.wordpress.com/

Post #: 86
RE: The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - 11/4/2012 6:31:59 AM   
Phubbs

Probably the best film of the trilogy in my opinion, the first was a nice idea but they tried too hard, the second felt like a complete rehash with terrible effects but this is quite a fun romp. Its very silly (having abominable snowmen help out at one point and a rather daft plane crash sequence) and over the top, but the likeable Fraser and classic boy's own adventure style really shines through. The cgi is really smart in this film, its very good, crisp and realistic (accept for a dodgy dragon transformation sequence).

I must admit you do get an 'Indy' shiver down your back (duh!) maybe we have seen this all before, especially the predictable story line involving father n son action and even a hint at Peru for another possible story, Indy went to South America didn't he hehe. Did I mention Indy there again? no no no no no...well maybe yes, it can't be helped, really it can't!

The setting in China adds a nice or different type of mystical feel, another countries mummies and history well explored, and a touch of class which you always seem to get when a film is set in the East, the landscapes look awesome in the final battle scenario also.
The final 20mins of the film are really good, really takes the film up a notch, excellent use of cgi for some epic army visuals and some great magic and monster fun.

Better than the lame 'National Treasure' films and a darn good Indy style flick in my personal opinion...I know everyone hated this.

< Message edited by Phubbs -- 11/4/2012 6:39:33 AM >

Post #: 87
RE: The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - 11/4/2012 9:46:27 AM   
King of Kafiristan

Really stilted action scenes, terrible dialog and generally bad acting (Michelle Yeoh gave a good effort as always). Li was fun, but let's be honest, he's not Arnold Vosloo's equal in the charisma department. Worst of all, the plot felt thin and entirely prefunctory. In general the CGI was undercooked and the aesthetic less thought out and detailed than in the Sommers flicks. MUMMY PRIME remains the best, with the second sequel still being worse than MUMMY RETURNS. The only part of this movie I enjoy is the admittedly cool FX SEQUENCE for Li's initial MUMMY TRANSFORMATION. It was gross, unexpected horrific and clever. Everything else sucked, and Brendan Fraiser needs to go away now. He's just bad. He had his shot, he was good in BLAST FROM THE PAST and the first MUMMY, but there is no reason to keep him around at this point. Even in supposedly career best work like QUIET AMERICAN (a good movie), he's still only "inoffensive". Now he's bald, overweight and out of his league. It's getting embarrassing.

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 11/4/2012 9:53:21 AM >

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 88
RE: The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - 21/9/2012 4:22:26 PM   
Hood_Man

EVERYTHING IS TEAL AND ORANGE!! Goddamit, are period adventure stories set in the Forties not safe from this crap??

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 89
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Opposite of their reviews as usual!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI