Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - 4/8/2008 12:06:56 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 4/8/2008 12:06:56 AM   
kumar

I watched stealth the other night for a bit of fun and it was damn awful. as much as i wanted this to be good, i didnt hold much hope for it after seeing that shiyte! unlucky mate!

nb had to rate because i couldnt find a thread in the review forum!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 4/8/2008 12:23:34 AM   
clarkkent

kumar? how on earth have you seen this already?

Post #: 3
Hate to say i told you so - 4/8/2008 3:59:14 AM   
IricleAndTimekeeper

I knew it, from the tile we could see this was going to be bad.
I find 3 to be an unlucky number in most film sequals situations.

Post #: 4
Why... - 4/8/2008 9:16:06 AM   
Lupin 3

do you seem so upset that this film was no fun? ... crystal skull was like having teeth pulled and you still gave that 4 stars. I would have thought you would be more forgiving of Mr Cohen (xxx, stealth, F and F) and a little less forgiving of Mr Spielberg (Jaws, ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark).

Post #: 5
As likeable as Brendan Fraser is... - 4/8/2008 9:21:00 AM   
Cameron1975Williams

...I hope this does no business and that atleast one of the execs responsible is fired.

Post #: 6
- 4/8/2008 9:39:19 AM   
IsabelB

why is it always the third sequel that ruins it all?

Post #: 7
- 4/8/2008 10:58:31 AM   
jemba

clark kent:- the film is already released in the US as are quite a few other films . they're normally released a week earlier except hellboy 2 has come out 3 weeks before than the date in the UK. shame because hellboy 2 looks better than mummy 3. does that answer you rquestion clark kent?

Post #: 8
RE: Why? - 4/8/2008 11:34:34 AM   
pitchender

I agree wholeheartedly with "Lupin 3": this sentiments in this review could easily have been applied to "Crystal Skull", yet that film was deemed worthy of four stars? So sick of Empire granting special dispensation to filmakers like Spielberg and Lucas, whose every cinematic whim it heaped with praise...Indy 4 was a cataclysmic mistake and disaster - I thought that at the point where Mr LeBouf was swinging through the trees, the film was going to grind to a halt, and a voice would say: "Only joking! That was the Indiana Jones film we were going to make...but aren't you glad we didn't! Now for the real movie!" But alas, no...

Post #: 9
RE: Why? - 4/8/2008 11:50:31 AM   
DanCurley

Well fuck Mummy 3 then. Thought it might have scraped a 3/5 for some reason. Might just watch Wall-E for a second time instead.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to pitchender)
Post #: 10
RE: - 4/8/2008 12:12:35 PM   
CORLEONE

quote:

ORIGINAL: IsabelB

why is it always the third sequel that ruins it all?

The 2nd one was shite as well...

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to IsabelB)
Post #: 11
RE: Why? - 4/8/2008 12:42:21 PM   
Drew_231

quote:

ORIGINAL: pitchender
Indy 4 was a cataclysmic mistake and disaster - I thought that at the point where Mr LeBouf was swinging through the trees, the film was going to grind to a halt, and a voice would say: "Only joking! That was the Indiana Jones film we were going to make...but aren't you glad we didn't! Now for the real movie!" But alas, no...

Your in the wrong thread, im sure you can complain about having your childhood raped somewhere else
Yea, I liked Crystal Skulls

Anyway, this never really looked that good. The first one was a lot of fun, and the second, while brainless, was entertaining enough.
I think one of the problems (which we see quite a lot) is switching directors for the final film. While these were not exactly high class cinema, Stephen Sommers had an entertaining franchise going. A completely new look for a series like this is not really required.

(in reply to pitchender)
Post #: 12
RE: The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - 4/8/2008 1:52:38 PM   
boove

quote:

And for a series that may be named after its villain(s), but derived its spirit and drive from its hero, thatís an glaring flaw.

this gave me a chuckle.  ironic? 

Post #: 13
typical british - 4/8/2008 3:43:07 PM   
HarryHavoc

slagging it off before we've even seen or done something.
Oh this is just another reveiw which people will relate to indiana jones. BOOOORIIIINNNNGG.

Post #: 14
RE: typical british - 4/8/2008 4:50:50 PM   
Guchmeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: HarryHavoc

slagging it off before we've even seen or done something.
Oh this is just another reveiw which people will relate to indiana jones. BOOOORIIIINNNNGG.

I agree. How come Indy seems to be dragged into the discussion of every new action movie that comes out at the moment (usually in a negative context)? 

(in reply to HarryHavoc)
Post #: 15
RE: typical british - 4/8/2008 7:03:52 PM   
HarryHavoc

Its because most people are complete sour puss's when it comes to cinema. Fan boys no what they want, if they get anything deliverd in a slighltly differnt manner or tone they will moan about it until lucas does another star wars gimic of a film. Then more than likely the wont like that either :) Personaly I havent seen this film and after the mummy returns being abit of a let down I wont bother. But I wont slate it until I do eventually see it. From the trailer it looks like being abit of a laugh, nothing being taken too heavily. I mean, wall.e was highly over rated so god knows what empire star rating means for this one.

Im just waiting for hellboy :)

(in reply to Guchmeister)
Post #: 16
RE: typical british - 4/8/2008 7:17:38 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

Just go away Rob Cohen.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to HarryHavoc)
Post #: 17
Looks better than Indy 4 - 4/8/2008 10:18:06 PM   
darth silas

There was just no way Empire was going to give this a higher rating than Indy 4 which was a huge crock of shit.And Empire gave the original Mummy movie only 2 stars in 1999 and i loved it! Will be seeing this at the weekend

Post #: 18
- 4/8/2008 11:07:52 PM   
big yin

utter crap!!!!! and i have seen it. need more films like the dark knight.

Post #: 19
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 4/8/2008 11:38:48 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

There was just no way Empire was going to give this a higher rating than Indy 4 which was a huge crock of shit.And Empire gave the original Mummy movie only 2 stars in 1999 and i loved it! Will be seeing this at the weekend

Exactly, i remember that review well because i loved The Mummy so much. If its on a par with the first, i'm happy

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 20
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 5/8/2008 8:59:23 AM   
MrNobody

If I was to review this film in one word it would be 'shit', if it was two words it would be 'really shit', three words 'really fucking shit', see the pattern? The more I talk about this film the worse it gets (just wait for the Yeti moment). So how shit is it? Well you know how all shits smell bad except your own but every now and again you do a shit that even disgusts yourself, well its one of those shits, with nuts in it.

I have to confess though that I have not seen the other two Mummy films because I thought they looked shit and I can't stand Brendan Fraser, I don't know why because he was probably one of the best things about the film. The problem is similar to Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of Bullshit in that most of the money has been invested in a series of action sequences but there is little to tie it all together.

The plot centres around some ancient dude who was cursed and mummified only for Brendan Fraser's son to dig him up. Some fat double crossing bastard allows some nazi like Chinese general to wake him from his curse to raise his army to unleash a whole load of pain on earth. What follows is a chase to some pool of eternal life, blah blah bolloxs.

I did miss a little bit though as I was drifting out of consciousness but what I didn't miss was during one fight with the cursed Mummy they were able to call upon 3 Yeti's from out of nowhere to help them with no pre explanation. You need to understand how random this is, it is as random as Rocky calling for the help of a Yeti while fighting Ivon Drago or Arnie calling for a Yeti while fighting a Predator and then 3 of them appearing and helping. Its was so fucking stupid that I wanted to do a shit on my seat and eat it.

Anyway I am on the verge of giving up, this summer has been full of shite apart from Batman, these studios need to understand that WE DO NOT ACCEPT SHIT ANYMORE, Batman has raised the bar but you need to make your action sequences appropriate, you need to tie a film together with a plot and you need a good script, else get fucked and fuck off.

The only Mummy's I am going to watch in future are the ones on Milf Hunter.

www.fuckofffilm.com

Fucking great film reviews

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 21
RE: The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - 5/8/2008 9:20:53 AM   
Kazuya

I expected as much. Still, I'll probably catch it on rental at some point.

"Bleed, bastard."

Post #: 22
RE: The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor - 5/8/2008 9:29:08 AM   
MrNobody

Dude, seriously don't, every time you think of renting it I will tell you about a film you have never seen you should have seen instead, it is quite possibly one of the worst films ever

www.fuckofffilm.com

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 23
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 5/8/2008 9:44:29 AM   
clownfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrNobody

If I was to review this film in one word it would be 'shit', if it was two words it would be 'really shit', three words 'really fucking shit', see the pattern? The more I talk about this film the worse it gets (just wait for the Yeti moment). So how shit is it? Well you know how all shits smell bad except your own but every now and again you do a shit that even disgusts yourself, well its one of those shits, with nuts in it.

I have to confess though that I have not seen the other two Mummy films because I thought they looked shit and I can't stand Brendan Fraser, I don't know why because he was probably one of the best things about the film. The problem is similar to Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of Bullshit in that most of the money has been invested in a series of action sequences but there is little to tie it all together.

The plot centres around some ancient dude who was cursed and mummified only for Brendan Fraser's son to dig him up. Some fat double crossing bastard allows some nazi like Chinese general to wake him from his curse to raise his army to unleash a whole load of pain on earth. What follows is a chase to some pool of eternal life, blah blah bolloxs.

I did miss a little bit though as I was drifting out of consciousness but what I didn't miss was during one fight with the cursed Mummy they were able to call upon 3 Yeti's from out of nowhere to help them with no pre explanation. You need to understand how random this is, it is as random as Rocky calling for the help of a Yeti while fighting Ivon Drago or Arnie calling for a Yeti while fighting a Predator and then 3 of them appearing and helping. Its was so fucking stupid that I wanted to do a shit on my seat and eat it.

Anyway I am on the verge of giving up, this summer has been full of shite apart from Batman, these studios need to understand that WE DO NOT ACCEPT SHIT ANYMORE, Batman has raised the bar but you need to make your action sequences appropriate, you need to tie a film together with a plot and you need a good script, else get fucked and fuck off.

Dude, there are many more eloquent ways of saying you hated a film than having to repeatedly swear thoughout your comments. It's not big and it's not clever. Couldn't you have used some clever imagery such as your preference to gouge out your eyes with a spoon rather than having to sit through such mindless drivel again to highlight your disapproval?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to MrNobody)
Post #: 24
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 5/8/2008 10:24:49 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrNobody

I refuse to listen to the opinion of nobody!  

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to MrNobody)
Post #: 25
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 5/8/2008 11:09:18 AM   
MrNobody

quote:

Dude, there are many more eloquent ways of saying you hated a film than having to repeatedly swear thoughout your comments. It's not big and it's not clever. Couldn't you have used some clever imagery such as your preference to gouge out your eyes with a spoon rather than having to sit through such mindless drivel again to highlight your disapproval?

Sorry man, I just have a really foul mouth and am not really intelligent enough to think of non sweary film hatred. But to keep you more intelligent people happy I will make an attempt. Glad to see you had a good look through my site even if you hate it ;)

www.fuckofffilm.com

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 26
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 6/8/2008 10:50:12 AM   
UTB

This will get a lot of poor reviews but really it's no better/worse than the previous Mummy films (better than the Mummy Returns, at least).

Maria Bello is woefully miscast, the O'Connells' son looks the same age as Dad, and worst of all there aren't any creepy crawlies!

However, it is an enjoyable romp. If you liked the previous ones you certainly won't hate this, but if you're expecting some tour de force that Indy 4 wasn't, you might be disappointed.

Great special effects too.

(in reply to MrNobody)
Post #: 27
RE: Looks better than Indy 4 - 6/8/2008 11:29:57 AM   
badassmofo

Saw it last night. Its just so meh as to be entirely inconsequential. Its easy to see why Universal picked early August as the release date as if this was released in the whirlpool of blockbusters a month ago, it would have been wholly buried, and to be fair TDK is still going to earn more at the BO this weekend I reckon. A woeful throw it at the wall and see what sticks screenplay which baffled me in several places (if anyone can tell me what the fuck the yetis have to do with ANYTHING, I'll be thankful), some terrible casting, though Maria Bello certainly tries hard, Luke Ford is a charisma vaccum who is a dick for the majority of the film, and Jet Li gets suprisingly little to actually do apart from be terracotta. Brendan Fraser is dependably decent though, the guy is always good value.
   Rob Cohen's handling of action is mixed, the more traditional set pieces, a car chase, two armies going at each other, is fine, if nothing spectacular, but having Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh in a film and then having them fight in an almost incomprehensible sequence is criminal. The film is also bizarrely boring, you never truly get a sense that the world is doomed, and the fighting between the two O Connell guys gets boring VERY quickly.One of the most blatant sequel setups I have ever seen (the text on the screen is almost parodic in its intent) caps off what is just a waste of time for everyone involved and only something the least demanding viewer will be able to enjoy. Its a shame as I had had a busy shift and was ready to switch my brain off, but the film is just so uninspired and strangely infuriating that I just could not enjoy it. Its not a one star as Fraser as I said is good value and the standoff between the two undead armies have their moments, though why they all seem to make fucking Ewok noises when they die I don't know. It syptomatic of the whole film I suppose. Awful decisions and derivative stuff all the way through

You just got killed by a Daewoo Lamos motherfucker - Best line of 2008

Cinerama - News, reviews, features and listener feedback every week by your Empire Online friend badassmofo! (I sound like a non-badassmofo I know...) On iTunes or cinerama.jellycast.com

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 28
Always over rated - 6/8/2008 3:51:32 PM   
leroythemasochist

Brendan Fraser has been very good in many films. The Mummy was fine. It did the job (if the job in question happened to be ransacking Hammer and Universal classics) but that should have been it. Rachel Weis is quite obviously a very intelligent woman who wanted nothing more to do with this awful series. Good on her.
I'm not going to go down the Indy 4 route here - I loved it and that is just my opinion so don't no one go shouting at me!
The Mummy 3 will never live up to being 'New Indy' or whatever - it doesn't have the guts or the depth.
Thought it was just an utter waste of everyone's time.
And here is where I will point out Indy 4's failing - CGI. Can we please have a REAL adventure film that doesn't rely on this over rated form of 'enhancement'??
Is there anything else out there worth watching??

Post #: 29
Fun midweek film - 6/8/2008 4:23:06 PM   
timthetum

I'm a little puzzled by those who think this film isn't fun; I watched the frist 2 Mummy films before going (so that my daughter knew what to expect), and I think that, largely, this holds up.
It's not profound, it's not especially well made or acted, but it's inoffensive and it hums along pleasantly enough. I think it's a very decent holiday film.
I would agree that the guy playing Alex is charimsa free, and they need to concentrate on Brendan Fraser more, but there was still a lot to like, especially the Yetis, and John Hannah lening out of a plane with a machine gun yelling "Die, you Mummy bastards".
I can't see why anyone would go into this with massive expectations in the first place; the early films were fun but no more. However, if you're looking to pass the time pleasantly, particaularly with teen age kids, this'll do.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI