Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 1/8/2008 7:21:39 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Blood Meridian. Discuss.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.
Post #: 1
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 1/8/2008 8:27:13 AM   
JV

I will try and acquire & read this by the end of August but I'm moving house and stuck in another book soooooo we'll see what happens. I really want to read more Cormac McCarthy though so I'm up for it.

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 2
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 1/8/2008 10:30:13 AM   
Acho

Wooh! I'll be starting it this weekend (that's what bank holidays are for!) so will be contributing here soon enough.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 3
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 1/8/2008 1:04:59 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I'll just order this one and I should start reading this by monday.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 4
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 4/8/2008 2:04:02 AM   
G.O.B

Think i shall try to pick this up in the next few days as i'm a fan of NCFOM and The Road and i really want to join the book club.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 5
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 4/8/2008 3:33:59 PM   
richCie

awesome book! although actually the worst of his that i've read. (just goes to show how good his other books are) I'll try re-read this so i can get a fresher take on the book.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 6
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 4/8/2008 5:38:36 PM   
jon5000

One of the best books I've read. Can't recommend it enough.

When are they going to turn it into a film!

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 7
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 5/8/2008 1:45:44 AM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

Couldn't get into this book at all, think Ridley Scott is going to adapt it in the near future.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 8
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 5/8/2008 4:11:00 PM   
Harley Quinn

I can't blooming find a copy three bookshops I've been in not one of them has a copy of it.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 9
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 5/8/2008 5:38:39 PM   
richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

I can't blooming find a copy three bookshops I've been in not one of them has a copy of it.

unlucky mate, my local waterstones (which is far from big) has nearly all his books in, and one of the cheap book shops gets them in pretty regular as well.
wat about trying play.com or something, theyre normally real quick on delivery.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 10
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 6/8/2008 12:06:19 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: richCie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

unlucky mate, my local waterstones (which is far from big) has nearly all his books in, and one of the cheap book shops gets them in pretty regular as well.
wat about trying play.com or something, theyre normally real quick on delivery.

I've tried two quite big Waterstones and and Books etc they have a big selection of his books in just not that one.  I might try play. Thanks RichCie.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 11
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 6/8/2008 12:52:19 PM   
jon5000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: jon5000

Couldn't get into this book at all, think Ridley Scott is going to adapt it in the near future.

A Ridley Scott directed Western? And not just any Western - probably one of the most violent ever, if adapted true to the book.

All the while I was reading, I couldn't help thinking how cinematic it was - like most of McCarthy's work actually.

Blood and dirt against a red sky. Now that would be something.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 12
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 6/8/2008 10:10:23 PM   
crayon

I bought it this afternoon, read the first chapter, got confused, read the first chapter again and remain confused.  I'm hoping the rest of the book makes more sense... but can anyone explain the whole part where he gets knocked out in the mud and then helps that guy set fire to the hotel?!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.

I shall call him squishy, and he shall be mine, and he shall be my squishy!

(in reply to jon5000)
Post #: 13
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 6/8/2008 10:21:44 PM   
richCie

the thing with it is...the narrative or rather the writing is in such a way that.. fuck it i'll be honest i was just as bloody confused
stick with it, it gets better and a little easier to understand.
He's definately got a very distinctive style of writing which can be difficult to get your head around.
Actually if i re-read, now what i've read more of his work i expect i'll find it easier.

anyway we need some proper discussions...
Whats everyone's take on the judge?

(in reply to crayon)
Post #: 14
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 11/8/2008 10:10:05 AM   
Harley Quinn

I'm a chapter into this book and I'm hating it. I'm finding it really hard to find the motivation to pick it up and continue reading. 

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 15
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 11/8/2008 11:42:51 AM   
KnightofZyryab

I'm up to chapter V and trust me it does start to hook you, reminds me a little bit of Heart of Darkness.

Post #: 16
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 11/8/2008 12:06:03 PM   
Harley Quinn

I'll give it another try but I've got a feeling I'll be throwing in the towel with this one.

There are far to many books in the world to waste time with one you hate.

Post #: 17
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 13/8/2008 4:03:17 PM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab

I'm up to chapter V and trust me it does start to hook you, reminds me a little bit of Heart of Darkness.

I've just started chapter 5 and know exactly what you mean! I'm starting to feel RichCie and jon5000's love for the book. It is a bit tough for the first chapter, but that's just McCarthy's style. This is the third book of his that I've read and it still takes a bit of getting used to. He doesn't seem to believe in making it too clear as to who's talking to who and about whom he's writing himself! (i'm sure I've a 'who' where I should have a 'whom' in that there sentence, and/or vice versa. Like that little-know but well-loved film - Acho hears a who!)

The fourth chapter really hooked me, I have to say. Much of it is a marvellous feat of prose and descriptive narrative, rather than plot. There's no focus on any one character, but the language used to describe their journey and the countryside is so evocative - I could feel the thirst/pain/cold/discomfort. And then bam! The ending of the chapter. Brilliant.

This reminds me of school, discussing the book chapter by chapter, rather than a review at the end, but seeing as I pushed for this book to be chosen, I wanted to comment. And it might help those who are finding it hard to get in to - you're not alone!

Post #: 18
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 19/8/2008 11:24:48 AM   
BigKovacs

Definately McCarthy's best work. His style can be off putting but when you get into the swing of it it's fantastic. Incredibly violent and incredibley satisfying. And it is a lot like Heart of Darkness as already pointed out.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 19
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 21/8/2008 2:35:08 PM   
elab49

Still waiting for it on my reservation list but a little concerned at the allusions to Conrad, of whom I am not fond. Is it actually Conrad's writing or just storyline/theme?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 20
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 22/8/2008 3:37:27 PM   
Harley Quinn

I gave up on this book, just loathed it. Could not get into the story at all.

Better luck with next months book.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 23/8/2008 7:17:49 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I just bought this a few days ago so, if my reading of The Road and No Country For Old Men are anything to go by, I'll get through it in no time and can join the discussion.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

Post #: 22
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 24/8/2008 11:38:40 AM   
richCie

ahh we still aint got much of a real discussion going and we're running out of days...
I mentioned the judge earlier, does anyone else see him as a sort of mythical character? he's similar i suppose to Anton Chirguh, he's an unfathomable figure who seems to exist on a different level to everyone else. and the way he keeps filling up his book, as if he's trying to learn everything, perhaps that's exactly what he exists for, to pursue this aim of understanding the world.
as in many of McCarthy's books he has these eerie side characters, who seem to be slightly not of this world (see Outer Dark for perhaps his most obvious example).
I really need to read this book again... atm i'm currently reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk which if anyone is distrubed by the violence and brutality of this i don't recommend you read Haunted, and if you do skip the "Guts" chapter

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 23
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 25/8/2008 12:17:06 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ahh we still aint got much of a real discussion going and we're running out of days...
I mentioned the judge earlier, does anyone else see him as a sort of mythical character? he's similar i suppose to Anton Chirguh, he's an unfathomable figure who seems to exist on a different level to everyone else. and the way he keeps filling up his book, as if he's trying to learn everything, perhaps that's exactly what he exists for, to pursue this aim of understanding the world.
as in many of McCarthy's books he has these eerie side characters, who seem to be slightly not of this world (see Outer Dark for perhaps his most obvious example).
I really need to read this book again... atm i'm currently reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk which if anyone is distrubed by the violence and brutality of this i don't recommend you read Haunted, and if you do skip the "Guts" chapter

I'm nearly finished just give me a day ! The judge is a very interesting character and I'll leave my thoughts on him tomorrow hopefully.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 24
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 25/8/2008 12:52:24 PM   
richCie

cmon ppl we got a week left to discuss!

you enjoying it knight?

has anyone become a dedicated Cormac McCarthy fan since reading this?

why didnt we do The Road? everyone anywhere should read that book...

Post #: 25
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 25/8/2008 2:10:01 PM   
Acho

I'm now halfway through. It's taking longer than expected to read, but more through other distractions rather than problems with the book.

I'm still very impressed. richCie, I agree that the judge is a really interesting character for discussion. The chapter where the ex-priest tells the kid about how the group met him is fascinating - he's a complete enigma at the moment to me. Remains to be seen how much more is revealed!

McCarthy's prose is still a challenge, but there are passages where I'm genuinely blown away. There are sentences with words/metaphors/comparisons/descriptive passages, etc, that I know I could never, ever, ever write myself. I'm not sure how much of it comes from really detailed research on McCarthy's behalf, but he's brilliant at evoking the feel of the time - the dirt, grime and hardship.

In some ways, you can argue that not a whole lot happens for many of the chapters, but each little incident paints a little part of a larger picture.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 26
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 25/8/2008 2:11:50 PM   
Acho

quote:

Oh, and as for this, I'm not sure. I read The Road pretty recently myself, for the book club I host in my own house, so I was pushing more for Blood Meridian. I think, in general, more people have read the former, so this was something new. And yes, everyone should read it, it's fantastic!

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 27
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 25/8/2008 2:39:24 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

cmon ppl we got a week left to discuss!

you enjoying it knight?

has anyone become a dedicated Cormac McCarthy fan since reading this?

I am very much, some of the conceits and the writing are poetic, and McCarthy's style is like a combination of gothic prose with old western dialogue. I said it reminded me of Heart of Darkness by Conran, and I actually find it better, there is so much profundityt in it that is hard to unravel.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 28
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 25/8/2008 11:11:49 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Right, I've finished finally, let the belated discussion begin !

My thoughts on the Judge - the first time when Tobin the expriest recounts how the Judge found them, and the mythic feats he is seemingly capable of, lead me to consider initially that he was a form or metaphor for the devil, or some kind of demon, but as the book progresses he appears to be much more than a religious archetype. As Acho mentioned his purpose is similar to that of Chigurh in No Country, an inexorable, omnipresent figure whose significance is enigmatic until the end, and even then it is still perplexing. I interpreted him to be this all encompassing figure who sought to gain knowledge of every man and everything that had ever existed, and his relationship to the Kid was to prove that man is unified by its subversion and propensity for blood and war.

It's really one to mull over this one, it'll be interesting to hear what everybody else makes of it. It is undeniably profound, although I can understand why others would find it hard to get into at first.

Post #: 29
RE: Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August - 25/8/2008 11:41:21 PM   
Acho

quote:

ORIGINAL: KnightofZyryab
I am very much, some of the conceits and the writing are poetic, and McCarthy's style is like a combination of gothic prose with old western dialogue. I said it reminded me of Heart of Darkness by Conran, and I actually find it better, there is so much profundityt in it that is hard to unravel.

Very good descriptions Knight, you put it better than I managed to!
I bought a second-hand copy of Heart of Darkness recently but haven't had a chance to read it. It's been mentioned quite a bit in this thread so I'm interested to see how they compare.

Oh, and to give richCie credit where it's due, it was him who made the Chigurh comparison!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Blood Meridian - EBC's Book For August Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI