Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 25/11/2011 1:26:13 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Lets hope this one err ...actually has some jokes in it. 

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 181
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 25/11/2011 6:18:58 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Back to Earth was ace!

What is this I dont even.

I absolutely hated Back to Earth. A laugh vacuum.

It was brilliant and it had some genuinely funny moments (certainly a lot funnier than the previous two or three seasons) but I think the point of BTE was to be a bit more than just funny. The point was to kill of the characters and give the show a proper send off, which makes these new eps all the more confusing. Tbh Dwarf was never really that funny since Rob Grant left so seeing as he's not involved in this I'm going to hold my breath.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 182
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 25/11/2011 10:40:18 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

Back to Earth was ace!

What is this I dont even.

I absolutely hated Back to Earth. A laugh vacuum.

It was brilliant and it had some genuinely funny moments (certainly a lot funnier than the previous two or three seasons) but I think the point of BTE was to be a bit more than just funny. The point was to kill of the characters and give the show a proper send off, which makes these new eps all the more confusing. Tbh Dwarf was never really that funny since Rob Grant left so seeing as he's not involved in this I'm going to hold my breath.

But...they went to Coronation Street. It was awful.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 183
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 25/11/2011 10:48:17 PM   
Hood_Man

I found it about as funny as a prostate examination.

Or how I imagine a prostate exam would be like.

If this guy was the doctor.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 184
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 26/11/2011 1:38:43 AM   
Spaldron

The bit in Corrie wasn't great but it least it showed Craig Charles could take the piss out of himself. Like "ok yeah, this is where my career has ended up". And anyway's why does everyone always focus on that one bit of the ep?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 185
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 26/11/2011 2:55:29 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

quote:

That's a very good point and it's easy to look back in hindsight I guess also. Still, the thought of having it back on the air again fills me with wonderment!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 186
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 26/11/2011 5:56:01 PM   
Shifty Bench

Back To Earth was pretty poor. Not very funny either but I hope this new series is better. Love me some (good) Red Dwarf.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 187
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 26/11/2011 7:49:56 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

The bit in Corrie wasn't great but it least it showed Craig Charles could take the piss out of himself. Like "ok yeah, this is where my career has ended up". And anyway's why does everyone always focus on that one bit of the ep?

Because it's the absolute nadir of a set of awful episodes.

And if it was trying for comedy drama, I feel that series 7, maligned as it is, was better in that respect. Take Ouroborus for example, that had genuiine pathos and laughs. Back to Earth had crowbarred in Blade Runner references and attempts at meta humour that feel horribly flat.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 188
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 26/11/2011 7:58:07 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

Tbh Dwarf was never really that funny since Rob Grant left so seeing as he's not involved in this I'm going to hold my breath.

Sadly, I do think Grant was probably the more talented of the two and after he left we had only a fraction of what used to make Red Dwarf great left. Series 7 was, for the most part, dire and while I enjoyed parts of series 8, most notably the return of focus on the best friend / arch enemy relationship of Lister and Rimmer, I think it was a mistake to bring back the entire crew and the ending was crap.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 189
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 27/11/2011 8:54:59 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

Tbh Dwarf was never really that funny since Rob Grant left so seeing as he's not involved in this I'm going to hold my breath.

Sadly, I do think Grant was probably the more talented of the two and after he left we had only a fraction of what used to make Red Dwarf great left. Series 7 was, for the most part, dire and while I enjoyed parts of series 8, most notably the return of focus on the best friend / arch enemy relationship of Lister and Rimmer, I think it was a mistake to bring back the entire crew and the ending was crap.

Yes, bringing back the crew fucked it up because it destroyed the basis of the comedy, and just as crucially meant there were too many characters to write for. Small core cast repeatedly encountering new situations is the formula to follow, to allow focus on the main character relationships and how they antagonise each other in relation to the fixes they get into. The latter point is the formula for ALL classic sitcoms.

I'm probably not the only person to make the observations I did earlier in the thread, but it is nicely coincidental that almost EVERYTHING I critiqued as being why BTE didn't work as well as older Dwarf series' has been addressed by the new plan, most notably the return to less 'cinematic' shot composition and studio based live audience shooting (which formerly allowed even the lamer gags, and there WERE many groansome lines, to benefit the timing of delivery of lines according to setting up a live audience to laugh, and the instant comic energy provided to performers by the very act of playing to a crowd that is giviing them instant feedback and can be 'played' to increase the level of reaction over the course of a scene towards the big payoff).

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 27/11/2011 10:49:23 PM >

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 190
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 4/12/2011 2:04:50 PM   
S. C. Lee

So, what's the deal with series nine? I've just written on my blog that the co-creator said, he wouldn't wanna make a series nine but he'd make a series ten (now in production.) I know they spoke about the fictional series nine in Back to Earth.  Will he go back and make it? Or ignore it? 

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 191
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 5/12/2011 11:44:48 AM   
Shifty Bench

I think Back To Earth will be counted as series 9 to avoid confusion. 

(in reply to S. C. Lee)
Post #: 192
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 7/12/2011 3:59:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

New video of Cat and Kryten make-up tests-  http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/12/07/red-dwarf-x-the-cast-get-ready-for-action/

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 193
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 17/4/2012 6:12:35 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Sad to hear that Peter Wragg, visual effects designer of Series I-VI has passed away at the age of 65.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 194
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 17/4/2012 7:01:58 PM   
Sotto Voce

I've just caught up with the news. I am pleased. Didn't hate Back to Earth nearly as much as some, but hopefully it'll be back on form, and there's some commentary to that effect from studio audience members on the website.

BTW they're calling it Red Dwarf X on the website. Surely all that stuff about other series in Back to Earth is meaningless because it was all a false reality.

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 195
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 17/4/2012 7:06:36 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

BTW they're calling it Red Dwarf X on the website. Surely all that stuff about other series in Back to Earth is meaningless because it was all a false reality.

It has been said you will discover why it is called series ten when the show airs, so it may not even be the same reason mentioned in Back to Earth.

I just count Back to Earth as series 9......

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 196
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 17/4/2012 7:16:07 PM   
clownfoot

I had no idea another series was being made. Please our wonderful monkey overlords, make this as brilliant as series 4 and 5 (studio audience instead of canned laughter is obviously a step in the right direction).

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 197
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 17/4/2012 7:24:58 PM   
Shifty Bench

Technically, they never used cann......oh, never mind

Anyway, I agree, having a live audience is certainly the right step to take. They tend to get too full of themselves when they don't have restrictions. I'm actually amazed that they got them all back. I'd really have thought Chris Barrie would have washed his hands of it again after the reaction to Back To Earth. Good on them all, though. I just hope this new series is actually funny. While I enjoyed Back to Earth, it was never laugh out loud hilarious.

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 198
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 17/4/2012 8:16:30 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

It has been said you will discover why it is called series ten when the show airs, so it may not even be the same reason mentioned in Back to Earth.

I just count Back to Earth as series 9......

Yeah, I just assumed that was the logic they're using. What I heard was that over the series you find out what happened after series 8, instead of there being a big explanation at the start. I don't think there's supposed to be some sort of 'missing' series 9.

Post #: 199
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 17/4/2012 9:51:03 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Really looking forward to this - I was pretty disappointed with Back to Earth although having watched it again, it's not that bad, just not particularly funny. It didn't really feel like a series at the time because of how short it was, so this feels like the real return to the formula which worked so well in the earlier series. Red Dwarf was often as much about the great comic timing as it was the gags and that's what made the original series so great, because the actors were constantly timing their delivery in front of the audience.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 200
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 18/4/2012 1:00:48 PM   
Sotto Voce

More encouraging news- models will be used instead of CG for Red Dwarf and presumably any other ships. I always loved he model shots in the early series. So much more effective than second-rate CG. I hope the ship is back to its original appearance as well. Didn't like the elongated version in series 8. From the website;

For Series X, however, the decision has been made to take the visual effects back towards their roots and so, as part of the final week of pickup shooting at Shepperton Studios, a special area has been given over to the second unit, in order that they can shoot space-bound sequences featuring actual, tangible ship miniatures. Other visual effects methods will of course be used in the series as and when appropriate but the ships themselves will be models.
The new model shooting unit is being headed up by Peter Talbot, an experienced director of photography with a particularly impressive CV when it comes to miniature work in both movies and television. As well as working on iconic franchises such as Batman, Iron Man and James Bond, he also shot the miniatures for Duncan Jones' Moon, a film not entirely dissimilar to Red Dwarf in its look and feel.
I think Red Dwarf is really back this time.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 201
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 18/4/2012 3:57:08 PM   
Spaldron

Visual effects aside I just hope this is nothing like series 7 and 8, both awful. The problem is the show hasn't really been any good since Rob Grant left so I'm going to remain sceptical for now.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 202
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 26/4/2012 10:51:53 AM   
Wedge

The first photo from Red Dwarf X has been posted on Facebook

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 203
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 26/4/2012 12:11:59 PM   
jcthefirst

Much as I reckon this won't be great, it's still good seeing them again.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 204
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 26/4/2012 1:10:18 PM   
darthbane

quote:

Visual effects aside I just hope this is nothing like series 7 and 8, both awful. The problem is the show hasn't really been any good since Rob Grant left so I'm going to remain sceptical for now.

I agree, 7 was pretty bad. The writing seem to concentrate mainly on grand, clever sci fi ideas, most of which were good, but they didn't lend themselves well to comedy.

Tikka to ride - The crew are involved in the Kennedy assassination
Ouroboros - Lister is his own father
Epideme - Sparing with the virus within Lister
Nanarchy - Red Dwarf was never stolen and has been amongst them all the time.

These are all great ideas and make for good episodes, but apart from a few gags, they're not really funny. The rest of the episodes were poor.
I did think that series 8 was a huge improvement, it wasn't without its problems, such as the ending and to many characters. However I welcomed the return of the two guys/one room situation that had been missing for a long while

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 205
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 6/5/2012 1:53:16 PM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

quote:

I agree, 7 was pretty bad. The writing seem to concentrate mainly on grand, clever sci fi ideas, most of which were good, but they didn't lend themselves well to comedy.

Tikka to ride - The crew are involved in the Kennedy assassination
Ouroboros - Lister is his own father
Epideme - Sparing with the virus within Lister
Nanarchy - Red Dwarf was never stolen and has been amongst them all the time.

These are all great ideas and make for good episodes, but apart from a few gags, they're not really funny. The rest of the episodes were poor.
I did think that series 8 was a huge improvement, it wasn't without its problems, such as the ending and to many characters. However I welcomed the return of the two guys/one room situation that had been missing for a long while

I'm the other way around. Liked 7, didn't like 8.

When you think about it, this will be the first time since series 5 its been back to the original formula in many respects (though without Rob Grant), so I am in cautiously optimistic mode. Even if its not back to the glory days, I think it will probably be better than the last couple of entries.

Howard Goodall back doing the music, I notice.

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 206
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 6/5/2012 2:04:59 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

Howard Goodall back doing the music, I notice.

Hopefully they'll actually use his stuff this time.

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 207
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 20/7/2012 11:35:10 PM   
Shifty Bench

Trailer for Red Dwarf X- click

Looks a bit 'meh' but the Cat has a line that reminds me of classic, actually good, Red Dwarf.

Post #: 208
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 21/7/2012 3:52:00 AM   
Sotto Voce

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Trailer for Red Dwarf X- click

Looks a bit 'meh' but the Cat has a line that reminds me of classic, actually good, Red Dwarf.

Really not enough there to make a judgement, but here's hopping. (That's a Red Dwarf reference, not a typing error.)

Post #: 209
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 21/7/2012 4:52:29 PM   
jcthefirst

It made me laugh twice, which is more than Back to Eath did.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI