Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 9/4/2009 8:23:23 PM   
Monkeyshaver

An review
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a152394/new-red-dwarf-is-it-better-than-smeg.html

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to MathewRed)
Post #: 91
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 1:27:10 PM   
Qwerty Norris

I think I'll hold out looking at reviews since it starts tonight.

Here's hoping....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Monkeyshaver)
Post #: 92
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 5:56:55 PM   
Ethanial

Don't expect it to be any good, but maybe an end would be nice, though from the idea of a Corrie set I fear the worst.
Ah well, it's mashed in between Wallace and Gromit and Genius/30 Rock, so laughs abound at some point.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 93
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 9:15:50 PM   
paul_ie86

Just an initial thought, the show really misses the audience.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 94
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 9:29:00 PM   
FlangeBags

Alas, a bit of a laugh-free zone so far.
The spark's just doesn't seem to be there anymore. It all feels a bit forced.
And you're right, the lack of an audience isn't helping at all.

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 95
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 9:30:15 PM   
HughesRoss

Well it was said it was gonna be a slow start....

Did not laugh one though

Our first ever HCF MOVIE AWARDS

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 96
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 9:32:31 PM   
Ethanial

The jump moment of the squid was a dire idea, and the CGI, it's almost like Lucas doing it, alongside the awful, humourless dialogue of course.

Hope it picks up, have to watch it, but it's like a train wreck watch now.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 97
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 9:41:00 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Hmm. I'd already decided that this was going to be a bit rubbish but it would be worth seeing those characters on screen one more time, and this seems to be borne out by the material presented so far. There is definitely a distinct whiff of the Star War Prequel Syndrome about this, where the makers seem more excited in showing off digital photography and overdone CG instead of what the series does best. The lack of a laughter is genuinely jarring, anyone feeling that? Seems a little churlish of Naylor to kill off Chloe Annett and the human Rimmer in order to reboot the continuity, and what an awful place to end the episode! Sophie Winkleman was a very welcome surprise, mind you.

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 98
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 9:49:59 PM   
KnightofZyryab

That was ... alright. I can forgive it for being kind of a set up for the next 2 episodes though - since season 8 left no line of continuity like the other series did, it's hard to establish much in half an hour. It does look visually fantastic but we came to see the comedy and hopefully it'll pick up.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 99
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 10:28:39 PM   
fletch666

Hmm, not great, but does appear to be a setup for the other 2 episodes which hopefully will inject some comedy into the proceedings.  The old episodes being shown now just show whats missing, good writing and good comedic timing, it all seems a bit forced so far.  Really hope it improves but not holding out much hope

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 100
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 10:50:51 PM   
sanchia

That was a bit....lacking.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to fletch666)
Post #: 101
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 10/4/2009 11:51:54 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

I got the impression it was really meant to be a 90 min special and they've cut it into three.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 102
Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 12:13:11 AM   
HughesRoss

Agree with everything that everyone as wrote:

Holly.....its not the same, she or he was just as important as Rimmer, Lister etc.....you thought they could have bought one of them back?

http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/2012/01/horrorcultfilms-movie-awards-of-2011-all-the-winners-right-here-of-our-first-ever-hcf-awards/

Post #: 103
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 1:01:16 AM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: HughesRoss

Agree with everything that everyone as wrote:

Holly.....its not the same, she or he was just as important as Rimmer, Lister etc.....you thought they could have bought one of them back?

Yeah I was thinking that, either Norman Lovett or Hattie Hayridge would have instantly livened it up.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to HughesRoss)
Post #: 104
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 9:27:24 AM   
Wedge

Well, I thought it was good.  It certainly looked spectacular.  Not a laugh-a-minute episode though, but well worth watching and engaging enough.  Hopefully, the next two episodes will bring in some more belly laughs.  This one was definately an 'introduction' episode.  In my view, the main problems were the lack of a laughter track/live audience response/participation, and the bloody ad breaks.  Damn you BBC for not making it yourselves!! 

I think it'll be so much better when watched in it's complete form on dvd.  It's feature length, film like, quality is ruined by constant ad breaks.  Perhaps we'll see an added a laughter track and an extended cut too?

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 105
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 2:49:19 PM   
kingalan

Shockingly bad that.

The fact that the lack of laughter-track was a noteable negative says it all really. Laughter tracks in their very nature are pretty irritating - in fact they're frowned upon these days - but the comic writing in Red Dwarf (especially last night's episode) just isn't strong enough to stand on it's own. It's always needed that audience response to spur on the viewer. Without it the gentle comedy was alone and exposed.

Add to this the cowardly way Naylor has starkly jumped back into the old format with a barely passable "explanation" and the general discomfort the cast (particularly Barrie) seemed to be in, and you have one embarrassing comeback. I hope the next two installments prove me wrong.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 106
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 3:44:48 PM   
Scruffybobby

Too much flash, not ennough funny.

It's as well I didn't get too excited by this, I'd have been gutted if I had, as it is I'm just disappointed. Still, it might get better.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 107
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 4:49:18 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

Shockingly bad that.

The fact that the lack of laughter-track was a noteable negative says it all really. Laughter tracks in their very nature are pretty irritating - in fact they're frowned upon these days - but the comic writing in Red Dwarf (especially last night's episode) just isn't strong enough to stand on it's own. It's always needed that audience response to spur on the viewer. Without it the gentle comedy was alone and exposed.

I disagree entirely, especially after watching one of the classic episodes that was on Dave later. I think it wouldn't make the material better in this case, but it's just jarring when the original series used them and this one didn't, and the actors seem to be performing under the impression that one is going to be added later, contributing to the stilted atmosphere.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering why Holly wasn't in this, apparently Lovett went on some massive rant on his Myspace slagging off the cast and crew....

< Message edited by Dirty Hartigan -- 11/4/2009 4:53:11 PM >

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 108
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 5:20:17 PM   
elab49

I'm surprised at the disappointment in the lack of laugh track - I can't abide them myself. I didn't think they were at all popular?

I didn't think it was that bad - I think people might be thinking back to some golden age and forgetting how bad it could get near the end. Don't think it quite dug those depths, although it wasn't great.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 109
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 6:13:16 PM   
kingalan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

Shockingly bad that.

I disagree entirely, especially after watching one of the classic episodes that was on Dave later. I think it wouldn't make the material better in this case, but it's just jarring when the original series used them and this one didn't, and the actors seem to be performing under the impression that one is going to be added later, contributing to the stilted atmosphere.

Oh, and if anyone was wondering why Holly wasn't in this, apparently Lovett went on some massive rant on his Myspace slagging off the cast and crew....

It wouldn't make the material "better", nothing could have managed that. A laughter track is supposed to create the atmosphere of mass enjoyment and is an attempt to enhance the effect of the jokes. The same way a comedy film at the cinema always seems funnier than three months later when you watch it on DVD. I've always been a fan of Red Dwarf but have always felt that the actual comedy writing is saved by the characters and innovation of the storylines. I think even a classic episode of Red Dwarf would feel sterile and garner fewer chuckles from the viewer without the laughter track. With last nights being particularly poor, it was the worst time to suddenly go trendy and lose the laughter.

As for Lovett's rant.... this I gotta' see....

Post #: 110
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 9:12:55 PM   
Ethanial

Awful start, just dire, can't imagine how the rest of tonight will shape up.

Fresh update 2010
Original update 2005.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 111
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 9:54:31 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Episode two was only slightly better, painfully average.  The sad thing is the cat still looks young enough and it's a nice idea.  But... it's just not funny.  And that's the kiss of death for a comedy...

Also wouldn't the comic book guy think it was strange that they were there in real life? He just shrugged it off...it's all gimick.

< Message edited by theoriginalcynic -- 11/4/2009 9:56:04 PM >

(in reply to Ethanial)
Post #: 112
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 11:25:54 PM   
Hood_Man

They just finished showing the Polymorph episodes on Dave. Haven't laughed so much in weeks, puts the new episodes to shame COMPLETELY!

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 113
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 11:27:43 PM   
Mikey C

I liked the Blade Runner stuff.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 114
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 11:39:08 PM   
HughesRoss

Much better than last night, but how can you judge it when it is so plain obvious that what we are watching is a hour and a bit special hacked into 3 parts....even the bloody Ads do not fit with sudden abruptions.  Saying that laughed at the DVD gag and the drawn out sequence with the address on the card...great line at the end "won't it have been easier to use the phone book!"  great line...

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 115
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 11/4/2009 11:45:02 PM   
Dave B

Absolute bollocks, especially part II. I wasn't expecting great things but this is beyond awful. Why do comebacks always have to be overly complicated? Why not a simple story set in space with the crew fighting some alien or something? Why all this post-modern 'oh look how clever we are by doing the show within a show' style crap? What a pathetic and idiotic idea with the added bonus of having nothing even remotely funny happening. The chemistry has gone as well. Not sure I want to watch part III.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 116
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 12/4/2009 1:00:44 AM   
mafyou

It's all been rather disappointing. Nevertheless, I'm two-thirds of the way through so I may as well watch the last one.

However, the comic book store - They Walk Among Us - is where I get a lot of my comics from.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 117
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 12/4/2009 2:39:05 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

However, the comic book store - They Walk Among Us - is where I get a lot of my comics from.

There was a lot of product placement going on in that episode.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 118
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 12/4/2009 4:02:02 AM   
MI Cruise

Never was really that interested in Red Dwarf so naturally didnt watch the new one. And by the sound of your reactions to the new episode I'm glad that I didnt, I want to watch the orignal Red Dwarf however, but apparently the channel Dave doesnt show any of the episodes in order so I wont really want to watch random episodes.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

Post #: 119
RE: Red Dwarf Appreciation Thread - 12/4/2009 4:13:20 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

I'd have though the DVDs were pretty cheap by now. It's downhill after Series 5 mind.

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI