Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 22/1/2006 5:21:55 PM   
weekendatmoobys

absolutely fantastic show, series 1-6 solid gold, thought series 7 was ok, the episode when they go to the virtual Pride and Prejudice land is awesome, (ketchup?!! with Lobster?! YOU WANT BROWN KETCHUP!!) series 8 was shite

I swear to God I will pistol-whip the next guy who says shenanigans!!!

(in reply to *Jack of all Trades*)
Post #: 31
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 22/1/2006 7:05:42 PM   
*Jack of all Trades*

Just watching series 7 on DVD at the moment and yeah it is ok but not as good as the earlier ones. Series 8 isn't very good but I can't remember it that well.

OMG WTF KTHXBAI

(in reply to weekendatmoobys)
Post #: 32
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 29/6/2006 11:37:04 AM   
bigtimedwarfer

Series VIII has some really good moments, give it a chance.

Both cheeks man, she nearly wore them down to the bone.

Well I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast, with a major and I mean major... leaflet campaign.

Post #: 33
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 29/6/2006 11:56:44 AM   
Jonty

Granted, VIII wasn't the best, but it did have one of the best ever visual gags:

"HAVE A FANTASIC PERIOD"

http://notesfromasmalltaibach.blogspot.com

(in reply to bigtimedwarfer)
Post #: 34
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 29/6/2006 3:25:42 PM   
punchdrunk

Always really good comedy regret buying the Smeg-ups but thats my own fault.

Any Joss Whedon fans know if he's a fan of  Red Dwarf?

As its a good comparrison to the Firefly(and Serenity) and i seem to remember the Evil Nerds in Buffy talking about the show.  

(in reply to Jonty)
Post #: 35
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 29/6/2006 4:28:20 PM   
bigtimedwarfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

As its a good comparrison to the Firefly(and Serenity) and i seem to remember the Evil Nerds in Buffy talking about the show.  

Now that you've said that I do have a recollection of them mentioning it in their van.  Wouldn't surprise me at all, I know Terry Pratchett is a fan.

Another good series VIII moment is lister talking to Bob in morse code. Wrong Number!

Well I say we hit it hard and we hit it fast, with a major and I mean major... leaflet campaign.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 36
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 27/7/2006 1:41:58 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

It's when they're talking to Spike and because he's English they say that they have all episodes of Dr. Who but not Red Dwarf "because it's not out on DVD yet"

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 37
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 27/7/2006 1:50:36 PM   
Mikey C

I don't think Grant & Naylor are particularly funny writers; where Red Dwarf succeeds is in characterisation, ideas and storylines. Since buying a few of the series' on DVD, it's just not as funny as I remember it. On the most part, the gags are just smutty and obvious.

Series 1 and 2 are let down by being a bit too sit-commy, but series III-VI are great. They're exciting, fun and look pretty cool. The way they got an often complex science fiction story and so many ideas into half an hour and still had room for jokes was excellent. VII and VIII are some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 38
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 28/7/2006 1:16:57 AM   
bigtimedwarfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

I don't think Grant & Naylor are particularly funny writers.

VII and VIII are some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

You've obviously never watched Cash in the Attic then?

< Message edited by bigtimedwarfer -- 28/7/2006 1:19:26 AM >

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 39
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 28/7/2006 1:30:37 AM   
Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigtimedwarfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

I don't think Grant & Naylor are particularly funny writers.

VII and VIII are some of the worst TV I've ever seen.

You've obviously never watched Cash in the Attic then?

There aren't any dancing dinosaurs in Cash in the Attic. Although I suppose it depends on the attic.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to bigtimedwarfer)
Post #: 40
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 30/7/2006 2:43:15 PM   
Rotary Ten

Series I & II - good, solid, promising stuff. decent characterisation, feels different to most sitcoms, even future series of red dwarf.
Series III - VI - the peak of the show, has everything you need to see. classic comedy.
Series VII - fell apart after chris barrie's departure, starts solidly, but soon descends into rubbish, the major problems being the reduction of kryten's character into an obesssion with cleaning, and awful jokes. also suffers because kochanski wasn't a fully developed character prior to this series and doug naylor couldn't do it as well writing on his own.
Series VIII - an interesting idea to resurrect the old crew, but this is the problem. there are too many new characters the audience doesn't care about, the jokes are now almost solely dirty. and if the whole crew have been resurrected, where are the other versions of kochanski and lister? and the constant references to previous series are just a cynical tactic to get old fans onside, even going so far as to remake 'future echoes' as 'cassandra'. stupid, stupid, stupid.

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 41
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 30/7/2006 3:07:42 PM   
Jack of Blades

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rotary Ten

Series I & II - good, solid, promising stuff. decent characterisation, feels different to most sitcoms, even future series of red dwarf.
Series III - VI - the peak of the show, has everything you need to see. classic comedy.
Series VII - fell apart after chris barrie's departure, starts solidly, but soon descends into rubbish, the major problems being the reduction of kryten's character into an obesssion with cleaning, and awful jokes. also suffers because kochanski wasn't a fully developed character prior to this series and doug naylor couldn't do it as well writing on his own.
Series VIII - an interesting idea to resurrect the old crew, but this is the problem. there are too many new characters the audience doesn't care about, the jokes are now almost solely dirty. and if the whole crew have been resurrected, where are the other versions of kochanski and lister? and the constant references to previous series are just a cynical tactic to get old fans onside, even going so far as to remake 'future echoes' as 'cassandra'. stupid, stupid, stupid.

I think that's a fair recap.

When I'm at the pearly gates, this will be on my videotape...

(in reply to Rotary Ten)
Post #: 42
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 25/5/2007 6:58:08 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

Thought this thread should be rejuvenated! Just finished watching all 8 series again, and had a great time ! Such a shame that nothing's being done about the film or 9th series though. I agree with the 7th series lacking in all things Rimmer, and the 8th having too much to relate too; but there are quality gags in there:

(after resucing her) Ace Rimmer: Princess Bonjella, Ace Rimmer. They'll be time for explanations later. And hopefully, some sex.
Princess Bonjella: What a guy!

The Rimmer Song in 'Blue'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV17GxTh3Mo

The Pride and Prejudice scenes in 'Beyond a Joke'

Holly's return in Nanarchy: "Alright, dudes!"

(after getting over that effects of the sexual desire potion) Kochanski: I don't know what got into me!
Lister: Nothing, sadly.

Rimmer: The Canaries. You know what they say it's supposed to stand for? Convict Army-Nearly All Retarded Inbred Evil Sheepshaggers. They haven't got an X-chromosome to share between them.

(speaking a group of prisoners - one who stole his glass eye) Ackerman: I have a date with Patricia Carling from supplies on Saturday night, she says my eyes are my loveliest feature. If I go like this, I'M ONLY HALF LOVELY!!

Holly: What do you want? The long or the short version?
Lister: Long.
Holly: You're finished.
[pause]
Cat: What's the short version?
Holly: Bye.

Grim Reaper: Arnold Judas Rimmer, your life is over. Come with me. You will travel to the River Styx, where you will place a coin and...
Rimmer: Not today, Matey.
[knees him in the groin]
Rimmer: Remember
, only the good die young.

Where series 8 went wrong, was having too many part episodes, the appeal of the early episodes was that they were, in a sense episodic, and had a whole story contained in just 25-30 mins. And of course, destroying Starbug. Also, the dinosaur...but I love the way that Birdman says "Pete, do you want some seed?" .

Anyone hoping Red Dwarf will come back?

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Jack of Blades)
Post #: 43
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 25/5/2007 9:46:23 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Hell yeah!  I reckon the cast can return to their roles no problem at all, and in my opinion Red Dwarf was the greatest British comedy ever!

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 44
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 27/5/2007 10:52:10 AM   
TobiasFunke

2008 is the 20th anniversary, so maybe we'll finally get another series, or just  a one-off special?

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 45
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 27/5/2007 11:07:32 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

Good point, perhaps they will . The actors are all doing other projects at the mo: Craig Charles is doing Coronation Street, and has a film coming up; Chris Barrie has done a few films in the last few years; Robert Llewellyn is still doing his Scrapheap Challenge, and Danny John-Jules has done a few films and also MI High. So they're still in demand, it's just a case of whether they can apply their efforts to Red Dwarf, and if Doug Naylor et al are willing to carry on.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 46
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 28/12/2007 11:00:08 PM   
Cipher1

Everybody post their favourite Episodes out of all the Ten Series!!!!

Post the episode title and what series it is in.

Post #: 47
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 29/12/2007 2:16:33 PM   
Iron_Man

my favourite episode is probebrly Polymorph lol.

I got all the seasons on copy dvd for 15 for the lot earier in the year.
love them except the last two seasons which were just ok.

(in reply to Cipher1)
Post #: 48
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 29/12/2007 4:35:20 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cipher1

Well, considering there are only 8 series of Red Dwarf, that could prove a tad difficult.......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Cipher1)
Post #: 49
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 29/12/2007 9:50:05 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cipher1

Post the episode title and what series it is in.

Probably Justice, Season IV for this exchange of dialogue in particular.

Simulant : Guess what ? (Pulls out a knife) ... I lied.

Lister : Guess what ?(Slams a metal bar on the rail) So did I.

Simulant : (Brandshing a pistol) I lied twice.

Lister : (Shaking his head in dismay) Didn't think of that.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Cipher1)
Post #: 50
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 30/12/2007 9:56:38 AM   
darthbane

My best episodes and lines from each series of Red Dwarf

Series I

Best Episode - Future Echoes
Best Gag - At the funeral for the passing of crew member George Macintyre, the captain respectfully commends Georges ashes to the stars and the asks for a piece of music, that George requested, to be played. Que, See ya later alligator, in a while crocodile

Series II

Best Episode - Stasis Leak
Best Gag - When, after preparing for hours, the dwarfers meet Kryten's entirely female crew, they are stunned to find that the girls have all been dead for centuries. "Well, it's a bit difficult to now what to say, isn't it Ace!"

Series III

Best Episode - Polymorph
Best Gag - "I think we're all losing sight of the real issue here, which is what are we going to call ourselves? I think it comes down to two choice, erm The League Against Salavating Monsters, or my own personal prefrence, which is The Commity for the Liberation and Intergration of Terrifying Organism and their Rehibilitation Into Society. Ah one drawback with that, the Abreviation is CLITORIS"

Series IV

Best Episode - DNA
Best Gag - Kryten trying to terms with the lack of functions the human body has compared to a mechanoid. Then showing Lister a double polaroid

< Message edited by darthbane -- 30/12/2007 9:57:23 AM >

"You're not safe here. No one is" Batman - Arkham City

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/darthbane

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 51
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 30/12/2007 10:16:11 AM   
darthbane

Series V

Best Episode - Back To Reality
Best Gag - Lister and Cat test the quality of the food on the higher ship, by ordering something revolting.... Pot Noodle!

Series VI

Best Episode - Gunmen Of The Apocalypse
Best Gag - The Cat (as the Riviera Kid) prevents sheriff Kryten from fleeing with a trick-shot resulting in the town's sign knocking him out cold.

Series VII

Best Episode - Stoke Me A Clipper
Best Gag - Lister tries to convince J.F.K to be "The man behind the grassy knol".

Series VIII

Best Episode - Cassandra
Best Gag - "Have a fantastic period!"

There you have it. These are subject to change at any time, as Red Dwarf is the best british comedy ever. I have so many Faves

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 52
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 30/12/2007 10:32:20 AM   
timomouse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jack of Blades

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rotary Ten

I think that's a fair recap.

To add to that, too much of 7 and 8 was just whoring popular cameos such as Ace Rimmer and Duane Dibley for a cheap laugh, rather than making an effort to be funny.

Although the Ace Rimmer sequence at the start of Stoke Me A Clipper is utter genius.

(in reply to Jack of Blades)
Post #: 53
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 2/1/2008 3:55:05 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Quite simply one of the greatest TV series ever made - loads of laughs and great characters existing in a sci fi universe, thus allowing it explore far more possibilities than the average comedy ever could.

(in reply to timomouse)
Post #: 54
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 2/1/2008 4:26:25 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Sorry this is sad but:

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane
Series II
Best Gag - When, after preparing for hours, the dwarfers meet Kryten's entirely female crew, they are stunned to find that the girls have all been dead for centuries. "Well, it's a bit difficult to now what to say, isn't it Ace!"

This episode is called Kryton. Statis leak is when they go back in time.

quote:

Series V
Best Gag - Lister and Cat test the quality of the food on the higher ship, by ordering something revolting.... Pot Noodle!

That would be demons and angels.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 55
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 2/1/2008 4:28:47 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

I love Red Dwarf I use to be able to quote it verbatim, then I went to university and my knowledge of classic literature dislodged most of it. Probably for the best though. For the record the episode voted best by fans was the gunmen of the Apocalypse but my personal favorite will always be quarantine. Mr Flibble is genius.

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 56
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 2/1/2008 4:30:48 PM   
darthbane

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kilo_T_Mortal

Sorry this is sad but:

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane
Series II

This episode is called Kryton. Statis leak is when they go back in time.

quote:

Series V

That would be demons and angels.

I know these things Kilo. I have put down my fav episode from each series and fav gag from each series. The gag doesn't have to be from that episode.

And it's not sad mate, I know way to much about Red Dwarf

Post #: 57
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 2/1/2008 4:37:59 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Ah. In that case carry on.

horribleives

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 58
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 2/1/2008 4:51:03 PM   
darthbane

What about a list of your best episodes and gags kilo?

Post #: 59
RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread - 26/1/2008 11:36:16 PM   
Cipher1

The Smeg Ups are the funnyiest extras in the red dwarf DVD's. My favourite one is the smeg up from Gun men of the apocolipse, where Chris Barrie forgets the line half way through, and say computer par!!!!**8***

(in reply to darthbane)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI