Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 28/7/2008 10:54:47 AM   
Timon

Starting on Wednesday on BBC 2, this new drama series charts the rise and fall of Saddam Hussein.

Looks very good and early reviews have compared it to Rome...but without the sex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/07_july/04/saddam.shtml

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 28/7/2008 11:13:49 AM   
mafyou

I'm certainly going to catch it. It got quite postive feedback from Newsnight Review so that's not too bad either.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 28/7/2008 12:41:21 PM   
Rgirvan44

They should have cast this guy -

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0355062/

Looking forward to it. Comparisons to Rome will always get me interested. As it is HBO/BBC they hopefully won't be holding back much.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 3
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 28/7/2008 1:08:29 PM   
Caster

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 4
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 28/7/2008 1:41:43 PM   
Timon

Come now, Caster, it's not like you to dismiss something straight away. It's a four part drama series and the buzz is very positive.

House Of Saddam offers a fresh perspective on the dictator, his relationships and his actions behind closed doors, by retelling events from inside the very heart of the regime.

Beginning in 1979 when Saddam became president of Iraq, it follows the impact of his political ambitions on his oldest advisors, closest friends, family members and on Saddam himself.

Within the walls of his opulent presidential palace respect is interwoven with fear as Saddam exerts control over his allies, his country and its people.

As he continues to reign for almost 25 years in the face of mounting internal and external pressures the Iraqi President's ability to survive is revealed. Eventually, however, the House of Saddam begins to crumble and its leader becomes increasingly isolated from both the international community, and his inner world.

Co-written by BAFTA award-winning Alex Holmes (Dunkirk) and Stephen Butchard (Vincent), House Of Saddam is based on two years of detailed research including extensive interviews with members of Saddam's regime, those who worked within his palaces, eyewitnesses and academics.

Remaining true to actual events was vital to co-writer and director Alex Holmes, who realised the compelling nature of the story behind the regime.

Alex says: "When I looked into Saddam's story it had many of the qualities of a Shakespeare history play or a gangster movie. He and the people who lived within his orbit including a rebellious son, a glamorous wife, a disloyal son-in-law, a devoted comrade seemed to become increasingly disconnected with reality as the years went on, and their actions more incredible to the outside world.

House Of Saddam was an opportunity to look into this world behind closed doors.

"It also was a chance to examine the political and moral values at play in Iraq, values which gave rise to Saddam Hussein and which he in turn was hostage to. Values like loyalty, strength, honour and pride.

"I was interested in an examination of how Saddam Hussein remained in power for 24 years in spite of being hated by many of his own people and the world. It was a chance to delve into the complex nature of a man with whom many Iraqis had such an ambivalent relationship involving respect and loathing."

An international cast includes Igal Naor (Rendition, Munich) as Saddam Hussein, Shohreh Aghdashloo (House Of Sand And Fog) as Saddam's wife Sajida, Philip Arditi (10 Days To War) as Saddam's oldest son Uday, Said Taghmaoui (Vantage Point, The Kite Runner, La Haine) as Saddam's half-brother Barzan Ibrahim, and British actress Christine Stephen-Daly (Casualty, Cutting It) as Saddam's mistress Samira.

House Of Saddam was filmed on location in Tunisia in 2007.

Roly Keating, Controller, BBC Two says: "House Of Saddam shines a light on the dark and menacing world of Saddam Hussein in an intelligent and compelling way and we are excited to be bringing such a bold series to BBC Two.

"The drama will offer audiences an engaging insight into what happened behind closed doors in this world-renowned regime."

House Of Saddam is a BBC Drama Production and was commissioned for BBC Two by Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction. Executive Producers are Alex Holmes and Hilary Salmon (The Passion, Five Days, The Long Firm, Shoot The Messenger).

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 5
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 28/7/2008 10:27:54 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

Couldn't care less about the comparisons to Rome, but looks quite good. I'll certainly be tuning in.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 31/7/2008 7:32:57 AM   
Timon

Well I thought it was really good. Igal Naor was suitably intimidating and sinster as Saddam Hussein but for me the show was stolen by Said Taghmaoui who starred as Basran Ibrahim, Saddam's half brother.

I've been a fan of Taghmaoui ever since I saw him in Three Kings and he's always fantastic in whatever he's in. I just thought he was fantastic in this and stole every scene he was in.

Can't wait to see where it goes. You can already see that Uday is turning into a little prick.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 7
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 31/7/2008 8:14:05 AM   
Spektre

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Well I thought it was really good. Igal Naor was suitably intimidating and sinster as Saddam Hussein but for me the show was stolen by Said Taghmaoui who starred as Basran Ibrahim, Saddam's half brother.

I was very impressed with his performance. Everything felt right, the movement, speech pattern and most importantly that menacing look Saddam would give people. His pronunciation was spot on as well, especially the occasional swearing. Does anyone know where the actor is from originally?

*edit* Just found out he is Israeli. I'm even more impressed now.

< Message edited by Spektre -- 31/7/2008 8:18:53 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 31/7/2008 1:09:43 PM   
Manny

This certainly has a romesque quality to it, with a bit of Dallas thrown (mega 80s kistch oppulance). was very chilling as he had his "dissenters" executed by his ministers, what a way to build fear and loyalty.

On reflection (and reading the independent's review), if this is going to follow a liniar time line, the we saw very little of the making of Saddam and how he rose to be deputy in the first place. They also commented on the absence of the americans supporting Saddam (earlier in his life), now this may come in later episodes as the war against Iran grows, or may be a compramise because its co production with America, though that would suprise me as it is HBO  

"Babylon fives a big pile of ..."

The winky faced smily is the mark of a moron ;)

(in reply to Spektre)
Post #: 9
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 31/7/2008 2:00:01 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

Can't wait to see where it goes. You can already see that Uday is turning into a little prick.

I've a slight hunch that things go a bit tits up by about 2003.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 31/7/2008 2:53:09 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

Starting on Wednesday on BBC 2, this new drama series charts the rise and fall of Saddam Hussein.

Looks very good and early reviews have compared it to Rome...but without the sex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/07_july/04/saddam.shtml

What's the point then?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 31/7/2008 10:33:16 PM   
Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

I've a slight hunch that things go a bit tits up by about 2003.

Don't give away the end!

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 12
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 4/8/2008 2:34:58 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I've been a fan of Taghmaoui ever since I saw him in Three Kings and he's always fantastic in whatever he's in. I just thought he was fantastic in this and stole every scene he was in.

I've just seen the first episode and I pretty much agree with all of that.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 7/8/2008 1:42:57 PM   
Timon

Second episode was very good but I can't help they're moving a bit too quickly. The putting down of the Kurdish uprising was mentioned in passing and there was nothing about the Shi'ite factions either.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 14
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 13/8/2008 9:21:23 PM   
benmharper

Is tonights episode the 3rd? i'm sky plusing it but need to know how many eps i've got to hunt down before i watch it.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 14/8/2008 9:28:37 AM   
Base

Last nights was the third, there is one more to go.  Just hope they don't go for a sentimental ending and have him see the error of his ways become a lovely grandfatherly king type who gives everyone flowers and chocolates.  You know how American shows go...

I'm enjoying it, but not really getting a sense of how bad things are in Iraq for the people and the consequences of his "leadership".  I know it is focusing on Saddam and his family, but I think they are missing out a bit much there...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 16
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 14/8/2008 12:03:44 PM   
Rebenectomy

I'm enjoyng it, but only one episode left? I assume they are going to cover the Iraq war, but what about Septmber 11th, Afghanistan et al. Surely an insight into those events from Saddam's perspective would be interestesting. Maybe we just don't know enought about how these events were perceived by the powers in Iraq.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 17
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 14/8/2008 3:51:42 PM   
Base

Given that the focus is on Saddam and his sons, I doubt there will be much of the war to be honest.  I'm expecting the next one to kick off with September 11 before jumping back to episode 1's opening scene.  I think the war will be limited to Saddam shitting in a hole interspersed with a few scenes of news reports and Uday & Qusay's last stand, before moving on to the trial...

Could be wrong tho...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 18
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 18/8/2008 12:16:37 AM   
Cruisecontroller

I love this drama it has the feel of a classic gangster movie and the guy who plays Saddam Hussain is terrific and looks so much like him. Its much better than I thought it was going to be. The promtional shots I initially saw made it look like a bad Middle Eastern Dynasty but its nothing like that. Awards will be given to it mark my words.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 19
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 21/8/2008 8:52:23 AM   
Base

Surprised there was no mention of 9/11.  Overall, I quite enjoyed this series, tho it could have easily gone to 6 episodes and fleshed some more of the story out...

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 20
RE: The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama - 21/8/2008 12:41:50 PM   
spark1

is there gonna b a dvd of the show?

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> The House Of Saddam - BBC/HBO Drama Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI