Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Men & Musicals

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Men & Musicals Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Men & Musicals - 14/9/2011 8:08:31 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

How about Muppets Christmas Carol? Possibly my favourite film!

How on earth did I forget this!?  One of my favourites too - watch it every Christmas without fail.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 61
RE: Men & Musicals - 14/9/2011 11:01:19 AM   
Timon

I just read this on the BBC: X-Men star Hugh Jackman is to perform a one-man Broadway show, singing songs from musicals with the backing of an 18-piece orchestra. That man is just too cool for school.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-14911093

Ah, I remember the fan boy wrath when stage "Oklahoma" singer Hugh Jackman was cast as Wolverine.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 62
RE: Men & Musicals - 14/9/2011 12:52:23 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm not a big fan of musicals.  Moulin Rouge! being an exception.  And I can tolerate The Rocky Horror Picture Show (but not the actual stage show).

I can stick some of the Disney films, too, but it depends which one.  Their Robin Hood film is pretty much the only one where I don't throw things at the TV.

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut - funny the first time around, and the songs are pretty good, but it gets stale very quickly.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 63
RE: Men & Musicals - 14/9/2011 10:25:42 PM   
scumqueen

I have never liked most musicals, I don't mind the odd song, but why sing simple questions to people? Have a song and maybe a dance fine, but you can talk to people it wouldn't hurt ya!

Musicals I like - well mostly Disney stuff - Pinnochio, Dumbo, Beauty & The Beast, then there is Meet Me In St Louis, A Star Is Born (Judy Garland/James Mason version).

Musicals I hate with a passion - sound of music (music you call that music?) , singing in the rain, Lion King pah!!!!!

I haven't seen Mamma Mia - but the trailers on constant rotation, did my bloody head in! I like Abba, but that just sounded vile.

Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 64
RE: Men & Musicals - 15/9/2011 1:24:05 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Since I never posted on topic, I should say that I love musicals. I watched early Best Picture Oscar winner The Great Ziegfeld earlier this year, and it's just amazing. I fell in love with it.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to scumqueen)
Post #: 65
RE: Men & Musicals - 15/9/2011 8:23:36 AM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Since I never posted on topic, I should say that I love musicals. I watched early Best Picture Oscar winner The Great Ziegfeld earlier this year, and it's just amazing. I fell in love with it.

I love how Myrna Loy STAR of the film shows up 2+ hours into said film. It's good though, William Powell is ace.

Yes, always.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 66
RE: Men & Musicals - 15/12/2011 12:16:22 PM   
Timon

It's the festive season, let the Christmas musicals be stuck on!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 67
RE: Men & Musicals - 15/12/2011 7:13:12 PM   
Cool Breeze

When Moulin Rouge came out,i went to see it cos i had nothing else to do and there was nothing else on that i wanted to see.I usually like Nicole Kidman and the film had good reviews so i figured what the hell.

I walked out after 15 mins.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 68
RE: Men & Musicals - 15/12/2011 7:21:58 PM   
directorscut

No man should like Moulin Rouge or Mamma Mia cause they're rubbish.

However any man who dislikes Astaire & Rogers musicals should be sterilized so the rest of us can enjoy a better tomorrow.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 69
RE: Men & Musicals - 15/12/2011 7:23:44 PM   
EyupLad

Quick scan of the thread, and no-one seems to have mentioned West Side Story. Amazing dancing, tunes, cinematography, story. One of the best Shakespearean adaptions. To me the best musical ever, and in my top ten favourites films of any genre.

Post #: 70
RE: Men & Musicals - 15/12/2011 7:27:33 PM   
Cool Breeze

Last christmas Mamma Mia came on the telly and i watched it with the family and i really enjoyed it.

Mind you i had a lot of drink taken and it was more unintentional laughter at the sight of James Bond singing Abba songs!

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to EyupLad)
Post #: 71
RE: Men & Musicals - 16/12/2011 6:55:34 AM   
Spaldron

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 72
RE: Men & Musicals - 16/12/2011 10:54:25 AM   
jonson

I'm going to see Shrek The Musical the day after Boxing Day. I can't wait. The kids are quite excited as well.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 73
RE: Men & Musicals - 16/12/2011 11:20:39 AM   
garvielloken

Moulin Rouge, South Park, Muppets Christmas Carol, Rocky Horror and er...Burlesque are all great. Oh and Cabaret and The Happiness of the Katakuris aint too shabby either.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 74
RE: Men & Musicals - 18/12/2011 4:05:29 PM   
kargon

South Park, The Blues Brothers and parts of Grease are about all I can handle

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 75
RE: Men & Musicals - 18/12/2011 4:18:52 PM   
DazDaMan

What are folks' thoughts on the ROCKY musical?

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 76
RE: Men & Musicals - 18/12/2011 4:35:13 PM   
Shifty Bench

I like the South Park movie, The Blues Brothers, Bugsy Malone and all the Muppet Movies (Muppets from Space hardly counts though).

Haven't seen many actual musicals.....

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 77
RE: Men & Musicals - 18/12/2011 6:22:19 PM   
sanchia

Any musical with Gene Kelly is a musical which a manly man can enjoy.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 78
RE: Men & Musicals - 27/2/2012 12:07:01 AM   
Hood_Man

BOOMP!

I have to confess that the Musical is probably my least favourite genre. That's not to suggest that I hate all of them, not for a second, but I get quite impatient if I'm watching a film on TV and suddenly a 5 minute song and dance routine crops up and I can't figure out why.

Disney movies do much better at this I find, with their songs advancing the story, but I was watching a Fred Astaire musical a while back, and after a few minutes I lost all visual sense as the red mist descended over my eyes

I won't say all the ones I like as there are still genuinely too many to mention, but right now my musical of choice is Cabaret. The songs are memorable and catchy, the Nazi theme is quite horrifying*, and because the story itself allows the songs to be played out as stage productions it bypasses my usual gripe of "Why are they doing this??"

*http://youtu.be/bs5bnVoZK4Q

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 29/2/2012 12:41:51 AM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 79
RE: Men & Musicals - 27/2/2012 10:59:14 AM   
Timon

How about The Muppets? How many men here went to go see the Muppets and really enjoyed it?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 80
RE: Men & Musicals - 27/2/2012 11:17:09 AM   
spark1

catch the day of musicals on film4 on the 29th feb.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 81
RE: Men & Musicals - 27/2/2012 3:56:53 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

How about The Muppets? How many men here went to go see the Muppets and really enjoyed it?

Not seen it yet I'll need to make time for it this week as it's finishing here Friday. Films are hardly in cinemas anymore

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 82
RE: Men & Musicals - 27/2/2012 4:12:54 PM   
Discodez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I really want to go, but think my gf will make me wait for the DVD seeing as I refused to go and see the last Twilight movie with her....

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 83
RE: Men & Musicals - 27/2/2012 4:23:39 PM   
DazDaMan

You're a man of principle.

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 84
RE: Men & Musicals - 29/2/2012 10:12:19 AM   
spark1

film4's musical day starts at 1.30pm with 'on the town'.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 85
RE: Men & Musicals - 14/1/2013 4:48:44 PM   
Timon

I noticed in Readers Reviews that some of the posts were along the lines of "I'd rather cut my own fucking legs off", so I was just wondering if any non-musical fans have been converted, put off, intrigued, etc by the high praise/backlash heaped upon Les Miserables.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 86
RE: Men & Musicals - 14/1/2013 9:33:59 PM   
claytonmeister

I absolutely love musicals and am not afraid to admit it. I'd be inclined to say that I prefer them to my fiancée.

I love 'Thoroughly Modern Millie', 'Singing in the Rain', 'Mary Poppins', 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'. I've seen a plethora of musicals and enjoyed many on the stage too. I find it very narrow minded if people completely rejected Musicals as a genre just because they 'interrupt' the story with music and dancing.

I think there's a few people posting here who are stating they like musicals but quoting what would be perceived as 'cool' musicals i.e 'Blues Brothers' (a very good movie) and 'South Park' (also excellent).

I also agree that Mama Mia ( I call it Mama diarrhoea) is atrocious, however I find Abba unbearable and having people sing these songs badly is just too much.

"My father died when he was making love to a 20 year old. He came and went at the same time!" Richard Pryor

"You mean I'm black does dad know!?"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 87
RE: Men & Musicals - 14/1/2013 9:56:44 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I loved Rock of Ages, one of my favourites from last year

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to claytonmeister)
Post #: 88
RE: Men & Musicals - 14/1/2013 11:17:11 PM   
rich

Depends on the genre of the actual music really. A lot of it is not my thing, so the movie will never be as a consequence regardless of the rest of the story etc.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 89
RE: Men & Musicals - 15/1/2013 10:23:58 AM   
spark1

bought 'west side story' on BD to go with my copy of 'moulin rouge'.
and don't care who knows it.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Men & Musicals Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI