Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Men & Musicals

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Men & Musicals Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Men & Musicals - 29/7/2008 12:04:19 PM   
Spider

I guess part of the reason men don't like musicals is that most of them are also set around a romantic story, and men aren't exactly known for enjoying those either. Maybe men are just more cynical about the idea of a musical as well, whether it's the realism that's lost by bursting into song or the fact that often the plots are pretty weak and are covered up by the fact that there's a few big numbers!

I love musicals, but I don't have a great knowledge of them and I only like the "good ones"! The idea of Mamma Mia fills me with horror but Singin' in the Rain is probably one of my top 10 films of all time.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 31
RE: Men & Musicals - 30/7/2008 2:44:54 PM   
rick_7

I really like musicals. After Westerns and old-time romantic comedies, the musical is probably my favourite genre. However, I'm highly resistent to most modern musicals, and those thoroughly useless stagey screen musicals where everyone sings hideously banal lyrics at the same time, like The Sound of Music, Oklahoma!, Oliver!, Annie and so on. And Mamma Mia! does look shit. I am a man, by the way, and my name is Rick.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 32
RE: Men & Musicals - 30/7/2008 3:23:45 PM   
britesparc

I'm a bloke, and a hairy one at that, and I love musicals.  Most musicals, in fact.  Off the top of my head I can't think of a single musical I've not enjoyed on at least a superficial, humming-the-tunes level.

I put most blokes' dislike of musicals down to either a joyless soul or them being insecure in some way...

Oh, and I have absolutely zero patience for anyone who says that musicals are "unrealistic" and "bring you out of the moment" and all that shite.  Because enormous explosions, car chases, CGI dragons, or Jack Nicholson dancing in coke - to say nothing of the camera moves, musical score, expositionary dialogue, voiceover, or famous actors playing real-life ugly people - are realistic?  All movies are artifice.  A good movie seduces you sufficiently that you go along with it, whether it's believable or not.

You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 33
RE: Men & Musicals - 30/7/2008 8:26:32 PM   
xClaudiax

I'm afraid I'm female, and thus probably unqualified to be here at all, but just had a couple of things to add. Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is an amazing film for anyone who doesn't have an aversion to all musicals.

Secondly, Abba are shit, but for a better execution of the whole musical-with-all-the-songs-from-a-particular-real-life-band thing, watch Across The Universe. It's a really well made musical using songs by the Beatles, performed by people like Jim Sturgess and Evan Rachel Wood. And if you're not interested in that (gauging the ratio of testosterone to oestrogen in here) then there's always multiple Salma Hayeks dancing in kinky nurse outfits. Something for everyone.

(in reply to britesparc)
Post #: 34
RE: Men & Musicals - 30/7/2008 8:40:23 PM   
Doc Tourneau

quote:

ORIGINAL: punchdrunk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
Is 2001: A Space Odyssey a musical in someways? The movement to the music, for example, From the Earth to the Moon, celebrates technology. Later, with the different musical score, different tone, the film shuns it, and there is very little dialouge in it. Am I being thick?

Closer to an Opera, I would think, Love the sounds of the ochestra warming up at the start and the interval.

Instead of opera, I'd say it was more of a ballet.  In fact, Stanley Kubrick described the "dance" between the Pan Am space clipper and the huge rotating space station as a "ballet mechanique."
And, by the way, the sounds of the "orchestra warming up" are actually the sounds of an orchestral piece composed by Giorgy Ligeti called "Atmospheres."  (I used to think the same thing until I purchased the soundtrack album )

"When the going gets weird,
the weird turn pro."
-- Hunter S. Thompson

(in reply to punchdrunk)
Post #: 35
RE: Men & Musicals - 2/8/2008 3:47:22 PM   
Wessing

i like musicals, im a straight guy.  problem solved

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 36
RE: Men & Musicals - 2/8/2008 3:49:10 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

Would "Once" qualify as a musical?. Good movie that.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Wessing)
Post #: 37
RE: Men & Musicals - 2/8/2008 5:38:10 PM   
mark882

I like musicals as long as the music is catchy. "Tommy" is my all time favourite followed by "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" and then "Pink Floyd The Wall". "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was brilliant and "The Wayward Cloud" was enjoyable as was "The Happiness of the Katakuris". I detested "Sweeney Todd" with a passion. On first viewing I hated "The Little Shop of Horrors", "The Blues Brothers" and "Shock Treatment" but they have grown immensely on me. "AD/BC" was fantastic.

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 38
RE: Men & Musicals - 2/8/2008 5:54:34 PM   
DesolationRow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

Would "Once" qualify as a musical?. Good movie that.

I've heard it described as one, but I disagree. The songs are in context; they're songs being written and performed by the characters, and so not really musical material. It is very good though.

"If you look up 'idiot' in the dictionary, you know what you'll find?"
"A picture of me?"
"No, the definition of an idiot, which is what you are!"

(in reply to Stewie_Griffin)
Post #: 39
RE: Men & Musicals - 4/8/2008 9:33:14 AM   
Timon

May I recommend that everyone give Joss Whedon's short musical, Dr Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog a look.

It's a 45 mins film featuring Neil Patrick Harris and Neil Fillion as an evil genius and the world's smuggest superhero falling in love with the same woman.

Very funny with some great songs.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Spengler)
Post #: 40
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 1:11:57 PM   
Timon

What with Mamma Mia! breaking records everywhere, can I just ask;

Men! Which of you saw it and what did you think?

I mean, it can't have broken all those records just because of women... could it?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 41
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 1:23:15 PM   
TRM

Theres no reason that it couldn't have broken the records just by women going to see it. I quite like musicals, but i avoided this one.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 42
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 2:01:30 PM   
michaelqb

I like musicals... in fact first movies i dwnload'd were mary poppins, oliver, chitty chitty, grease & sound of music
....looking for a good version of my fair lady
havent seen mama mia ... will probably end up doing so soon but im not an abba fan so it'll be wasted on me

dont think men have problems with musicals... but they havent made any good ones in a while

It takes two to lie.. one to lie and another to listen.

That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 43
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 2:02:58 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

Theres no reason that it couldn't have broken the records just by women going to see it. I quite like musicals, but i avoided this one.

Its rather unlikely no men saw it.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 44
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 5:06:02 PM   
M

I frequently enjoy reminding my musical-hating friend that one of his favourite films of all time is 8 Mile

Ok, so technically it's probably not a musical, but watching him squirm his way out of defining it as one is worth the semantic broadstroke. 

I like to watch.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 45
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 5:24:33 PM   
Fanboyslayer

I love musicals but I've avoided Mama Mia so far as I really don't like Abba. I dare say when it appears on Sky I won't be able to resist it. My hubby always use to say he didn't like musicals but I've converted him by showing him some decent ones. I think it's just a knee jerk reactions from people who actually haven't seen that many. I had a film studies teacher many years ago who use to say it was the only genre of film he didn't like which I thought was a very stupid thing to say.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to M)
Post #: 46
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 5:48:44 PM   
Wilbert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

May I recommend that everyone give Joss Whedon's short musical, Dr Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog a look.

It's a 45 mins film featuring Neil Patrick Harris and Neil Fillion as an evil genius and the world's smuggest superhero falling in love with the same woman.

Very funny with some great songs.

Nathan's twin brother!

You're killing Independent George!!!!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 47
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 5:58:14 PM   
clownfoot

South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut rocks the monkey!

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 48
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 6:06:28 PM   
Felix

How can you hate an entire genre?!

Singin' In the Rain is one of the best films ever made. I defy anyone, male or female, to watch Calamity Jane and not being humming the tunes for at least a day afterwards.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 49
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 6:38:57 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I guess being female sort of excludes me from this topic but I love the musical genre. It's all to often accused of being too sappy and sentimental but there are some real dark musicals out there (Sweeney Todd, Cabaret) and so many of them manage to tell an amazing story with some great music. Mamma Mia succeeded in doing what it set out to do - make a light, fluffy film that makes you happy and want to singalong. I'm not surprised it's done so well, it's a fun film. I love Moulin Rouge, it's my favourite movie musical. The disney output is also one of the best. I've been watching a lot of their movies lately and the music has stuck with me, especially Alan Menken's output, he's a genius.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 50
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 8:00:14 PM   
Dave B

I watched Aladdin today, I forgot how good some of the songs are in that, so much so that my only criticism of the film is that they're aren't enough of 'em.

I must admit I haven't seen that many musicals but Singin' In the Rain is one of my favourite films and I love Moulin Rouge, Sweeny Todd, The Jungle Book, the aforementioned Aladdin, the Buffy Musical and Dr. Horrible.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 51
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 9:20:31 PM   
kathryn2

When I was at uni my male (Canadian) housemate was obsessed with Southpark: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut. He would sing 'Blame Canada' all the time . His other obsessions were karate and martial arts movies.

I'm sure there are some men who were dragged to see Mamma Mia! I'm sure there are even some who went willingly, and more than a few who will grudgingly admit that they enjoyed it.What it comes down to is that Mamma Mia is a pretty good musical. Quality will always shine through regardless of genre.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 52
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 9:44:23 PM   
Mozza

I like musicals, so long as they use original songs.  Like Hairspray, or The Producers, or Little Shop of Horrors.

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 53
RE: Men & Musicals - 9/12/2008 10:47:45 PM   
hozay

I always say I don't like musicals,comes out before I even think about it,a natural blokey reaction I suppose, but when I actually start adding up the ones I do like it seems to prove otherwise.Still it's the older stuff I like,like Fred and Ginger,Gene Kelly and Co,Bing Crosby and Bob Hope's Road To flicks and even Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis.Some of the old Jazz movies my parents love were always great to watch too but there's really not much after the 70's that I like at all.Maybe Tommy,The Point (animated) and Blues Bros but little else.I don't mind a musical scene in a film here and there like Mulholland Drive,Kinky Boots,Priscilla,The Life Aquatic,Zatoichi etc but recent full blown musicals just don't do it for me especially the likes of the abhorrent Moulin Rouge  and the unwatchable Little Shop Of Horrors.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 54
RE: Men & Musicals - 13/9/2011 4:14:33 PM   
Timon

In a similar vein to this (let's say spin-off), I was thinking that more and more rom-coms are being aimed at men. Take the forthcoming THIS MEANS WAR - two spies go to war with one another after they both fall in love with the same woman.

Gone are the usual 'rom com' leading men (Matthew McConaughey) and instead we have Tom Hardy and Chris Pine. Of course, it's directed by McG, but still...

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 55
RE: Men & Musicals - 13/9/2011 4:43:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

In a similar vein to this (let's say spin-off), I was thinking that more and more rom-coms are being aimed at men. Take the forthcoming THIS MEANS WAR - two spies go to war with one another after they both fall in love with the same woman.

Gone are the usual 'rom com' leading men (Matthew McConaughey) and instead we have Tom Hardy and Chris Pine. Of course, it's directed by McG, but still...

OMG Kirk and Picard are back together!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 56
RE: Men & Musicals - 13/9/2011 5:26:51 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Three people got that.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 57
RE: Men & Musicals - 13/9/2011 9:21:14 PM   
Whistler

Sweeney Todd, Singin' In The Rain, Grease, Joseph & TTD, Jesus Christ Superstar, most Disney films.

I love musicals.  Not ashamed of it.

< Message edited by Whistler -- 13/9/2011 9:26:46 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 58
RE: Men & Musicals - 13/9/2011 10:40:28 PM   
st3veebee

Well Grease of course: just a great film. Same goes for Mary Poppins and most Disney classic films.

How about Muppets Christmas Carol? Possibly my favourite film!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 59
RE: Men & Musicals - 13/9/2011 11:10:47 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

Three people got that.

Four. Girvy, you get ten internets.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Men & Musicals Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI