Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dark Knight: Batman is like George Bush

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Dark Knight: Batman is like George Bush Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dark Knight: Batman is like George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:14:11 PM   
fierce-hairdo

The more I think about it the more it occurs to me that the Dark Knight promotes a pro Bush, neocon, right wing agenda and explicitly defends Bush’s ‘war on terror’.

Batman is a better dressed version of George Bush.
Like Bush, Batman insists on having all the available “tools” to fight terrorism even if they involve illegal methods:

He tortures prisoners. Indeed he often tortures first before he has even asked a question!
The Bush regime has notoriously tried to reclassify torture as aggressive interogation - see Abhu Graib, Guantanamo Bay etc.

He performs ‘extraordinary rendition’ on the guy in Hong Kong. (illegally kidnaps and removes to another country for interrogation)
The Bush regime doesn’t even deny its use of extraordinary rendition.

He effectively wiretaps every phone in Gotham.
This is reflected in Bush’s 'Patriot Ac't and his constant push for more phone tapping and surveillance.

He is obsessed with his own victimhood and reserves the right to unilaterally take illegal action in order to vent his anger and feelings of injustice.
This reflects America’s post 9/11 outlook where any aggressive action is often framed as a legitimate response to 9/11.

He seeks unlimited power to act independently of all legal and moral constraints in order to pursue his goals.

He basically tramples people’s rights and civil liberties and justifies his actions as being for the greater good. An idea of a greater good that he has decided on for himself and will try to implement, whether people like it or not.

The film romanticizes and ultimately celebrates the Bush/Bat stance of a man prepared to suspend legal and ethical concerns to achieve certain ends that are deemed as self evidently good and unquestionable by the limited parameters of the story. Amazingly it insists that if people take such powers for themselves they can be trusted to do good and not abuse them. This seems like a blatant endorsement of the Bush regime's tactics throughout the ‘war on terror’.

One’s political views will colour how one responds to all this but I for one find this extremely depressing. For an apparently intelligent director like Nolan to reveal such an unequivocal pro bush stance on such controversial issues such as the use of torture and extraordinary rendition is very dispiriting.

Lucius Fox’s reservations about the wiretapping are a laughably slim attempt to acknowledge the controversy and is instantly undermined when he agrees to help “just this once” regardless of how unethical it is.

Also, the film endorses the deception of the public about their elected officials when batman chooses to lie about Dent's murders. The film suggests that deceiving the public and hiding the true nature of its politicians and public servants is a necessary and legitimate act. So we can add an anti-democratic thrust to the films problems also.

I guess it could be argued that all Batman’s efforts lead to negative outcomes (Rachel and Harvey die, Gotham seems mired in ever escalating chaos and crime) and therefore the film is perhaps critqueing this behaviour. But in the final analysis Batman is presented as noble and heroic rather than hopelessly ethically compromised.

Ultimately I was most dissapointed with the torture scenes because the film completely fails to examine the real consequences of torture on the torturer as well as the torture victim.

I am very keen to hear what others think of these very explicit political parallels in the movie.

< Message edited by fierce-hairdo -- 27/7/2008 10:48:13 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:16:24 PM   
Rhubarb

Isn't like, Batman older than Bush?

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to fierce-hairdo)
Post #: 2
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:17:05 PM   
Deviation

I haven't seen TDK, so I can't say but this sounds mad, sorry.

300 being a fascist pile of shit is another discussion.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 3
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:27:21 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

I haven't seen TDK, so I can't say but this sounds mad, sorry.

I sort of agree with quite a bit of it.

But whatever.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 4
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:30:07 PM   
shawshank prisoner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Isn't like, Batman older than Bush?

Noooo. He's say that Bush has based his entire reign on Batman comics.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 5
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:35:06 PM   
fierce-hairdo

To all those who think I'm making something out of nothing google "Dark Knight Fascist" or "Batman Fascist" to see lots of similar thoughts expressed.

Also check this pro Bush endorsement of the similarites in the Washington Post: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121694247343482821.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries
Its a dumb article but it shows it ain't just me seeing this stuff.

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 6
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:43:40 PM   
Manchurian candidate

No I thought it too.

Mainly when (spoiler) he was interrogating the Joker by beating the shit out of him.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

Post #: 7
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:45:20 PM   
Deviation

Maybe Batman's methods are not herioc at all, and like the Batman in returns he is on the brink of moral oblivion?, But again, I haven't seen the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 8
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 4:58:13 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: fierce-hairdo

To all those who think I'm making something out of nothing google "Dark Knight Fascist" or "Batman Fascist" to see lots of similar thoughts expressed.

Also check this pro Bush endorsement of the similarites in the Washington Post: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121694247343482821.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries

The internet is mad though isn't it?

I like the idea that Bush bases himself on Batman. In fact maybe, he dresses up as a giant bat and fights crime in Washington DC (DC! Like the comics! Proof!) at night.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

Post #: 9
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:08:43 PM   
krudler

did this really deserve its own thread? its already in the Dark Knight review one, relax, its a movie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

3D moving images are not films, they're holograms, and should be treated as a separate medium of storytelling, or artform.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 10
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:09:39 PM   
Jackal

My thoughts exactly, krudler.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 11
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:11:07 PM   
benmharper

I always thought Batman was Bruce Wayne

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 12
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:13:29 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: krudler

did this really deserve its own thread? its already in the Dark Knight review one, relax, its a movie

I think it does, in that the review thread doesn't really give a chance for discussion. And this point is really separate from a review, in that it's not a review, and any continued discussion would be unfair on those trying to review etc.

Lyndon B. Johnson
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 13
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:15:42 PM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

I always thought Batman was Bruce Wayne

Thats just what he wants you think.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 14
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:22:56 PM   
DanCurley

If he his a fascist, Hiel Batman!

Good points well made at the top. Would have been ace if Batman made the Joker and some generic mobsters build a naked pyramid and make them bugger each other while taking pictures. It wouldn't have gotten a 12A then.

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 15
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:27:53 PM   
Woger

Sigh, sigh, sigh.
Batman got his man, Osama Bin Laden is still at large seven years later.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 16
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:27:59 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

Good points well made at the top. Would have been ace if Batman made the Joker and some generic mobsters build a naked pyramid and make them bugger each other while taking pictures. It wouldn't have gotten a 12A then.

That made me giggle. Well done.

You need to email Nolan with some ideas for the next one.

Lyndon B. Johnson
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 17
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:29:46 PM   
DanCurley

Starting to wish I didn't sell my HD video camera, could have made a cracking youtube video with that idea...

I'd give you my signature, but what would happen if you stole my cheque book? It would be a disaster.

Post #: 18
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:31:13 PM   
Jackal

As it seems this deserves its own thread, I'll paste part of my previous post (unintended alliteration, there ) from the other..

The main point is that I don't think the film makers are trying to justify the behaviour of the hawks in the White House through a movie vigilante. As Batman himself acknowledges, he's a villain as well.

There.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

Post #: 19
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:32:16 PM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanCurley

Starting to wish I didn't sell my HD video camera, could have made a cracking youtube video with that idea...

Users might have flagged it pretty quickly.

That said there's some crazy shit on youtube.

Lyndon B. Johnson
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to DanCurley)
Post #: 20
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:37:22 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

The more I think about it the more it occurs to me that the Dark Knight promotes a pro Bush, neocon, right wing agenda and explicitly defends Bush’s ‘war on terror’.

Someone's been watching Newsnight review.
What absolute shite this is. Yes, Batman is a pro-Bush movie. Jesus christ, there are some nutcases in here these days....

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

Post #: 21
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:45:12 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

quote:

What absolute shite this is. Yes, Batman is a pro-Bush movie. Jesus christ, there are some nutcases in here these days....

You may think it is "absolute shite" but perhaps you'd be good enough to explain why???

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 22
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:49:44 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

quote:

And my views on this are entirely independant of Newsnight Review. But given others are expressing similar thoughts why are you so quick to aggressively dismiss them. You aren't even able to articulate an argument against them.

Post #: 23
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:55:47 PM   
Woger

Ok, you convinced me.
Harvey Dent is Obama
Two Face is Hillary Clinton
Alfred is Dick Cheney

This is how stupid you are
http://www.coloradoconfidential.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=1194

Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

Post #: 24
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 5:59:20 PM   
pablohoolio

quote:

And my views on this are entirely independant of Newsnight Review. But given others are expressing similar thoughts why are you so quick to aggressively dismiss them. You aren't even able to articulate an argument against them.

Here is my 'articulate' argument against it. The fact that you would think that Nolan and his brother would make a Batman movie, a superhero movie, that is albiet very seriously made and performed, into some kind of pro-Bush political message shows that either you are taking what the sanctimonious tossers on Newsnight Review speak VEEEEEEERY seriously, or that you yourself must read this kind of stuff into every movie.

Movies are made of their time. So if there is some kind of message to get out of this one, I can guarantee it has been because the movie has been shaped by events that have shaped the world iteself in recent times. Just like Cloverfield was influenced by 9-11 and the images of that day. Movies will always have SOME kind of current events influence, and use it to a degree.

But that's as far as it goes. To suggest that The Dark Knight is a closet pro-Bush propaganda, or hidden message that defends Bush and his actions is utter shite. Yes, your opnion, but in my opinion, complete bollocks. And I don't believe for one minute that either Nolan brother sat down and thought 'right, we want to make a Batman movie, but I want to defend George Bush and his war on terror while we do it. That's what I want the hidden message to be'.

Just nonsense. it looks like you are taking things very seriously, and need to lighten up. Neocon agenda?

< Message edited by pablohoolio -- 26/7/2008 6:01:01 PM >

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

Post #: 25
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 6:02:29 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

Here is my 'articulate' argument against it. The fact that you would think that Nolan and his brother would make a Batman movie, a superhero movie, that is albiet very seriously made and performed, into some kind of pro-Bush political message shows that either you are taking what the sanctimonious tossers on Newsnight Review speak VEEEEEEERY seriously, or that you yourself must read this kind of stuff into every movie.

Movies are made of their time. So if there is some kind of message to get out of this one, I can guarantee it has been because the movie has been shaped by events that have shaped the world iteself in recent times. Just like Cloverfield was influenced by 9-11 and the images of that day. Movies will always have SOME kind of current events influence, and use it to a degree.

But that's as far as it goes. To suggest that The Dark Knight is a closet pro-Bush propaganda, or hidden message that defends Bush and his actions is utter shite. Yes, your opnion, but in my opinion, complete bollocks. And I don't believe for one minute that either Nolan brother sat down and thought 'right, we want to make a Batman movie, but I want to defend George Bush and his war on terror while we do it. That's what I want the hidden message to be'.

Just nonsense. it looks like you are taking things very seriously, and need to lighten up. Neocon agenda?

Well said, usually nonsense like this says more about the person doing the interpreting.

- - -

Post #: 26
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 6:07:48 PM   
fierce-hairdo

quote:

quote:

Just nonsense.

The messages aren't exactly "hidden" though. On the contrary they are pretty clearly there on the screen. The Joker is clearly portrayed as a terrorist and there are scenes of torture and kidnapping and phonetapping - these are all hot topics of current events right now. The idea that Nolan put these themes in the movie but failed to notice or ignored the parrallels to current events is very unlikely. He wants his film to be taken seriously and thats what I'm doing.

Post #: 27
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 6:10:08 PM   
Manchurian candidate

It may not be explicitly supporting Bush, but it can easily been seen as supporting methods that happened to be used by him.

Lyndon B. Johnson
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

Post #: 28
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 6:14:11 PM   
Woger

quote:

quote:

quote:

Just nonsense.

The messages aren't exactly "hidden" though. On the contrary they are pretty clearly there on the screen. The Joker is clearly portrayed as a terrorist and there are scenes of torture and kidnapping and phonetapping - these are all hot topics of current events right now. The idea that Nolan put these themes in the movie but failed to notice or ignored the parrallels to current events is very unlikely. He wants his film to be taken seriously and thats what I'm doing.

But Batman is actually fighting, didn't most of the neo cons avoid war? Batman also wanted an elected official who stood for justice to take over and continue dealing with crime with proper justice, doesn't sound like W to me.

- - -

Post #: 29
RE: Dark Knight: Batman is George Bush - 26/7/2008 6:16:40 PM   
mrsumner

quote:

Hey, you've mistaken an article from the Wall Street Journal (which a strong pro right-wing stance) for an article from the Post.

Anyway, I think your analysis is over the top on this case. Concerning the depiction of torture in pictures, it seems every movie or TV show - since the airing of 24 - has a scene of that sort, as if such sequences were necessary to depict a film's dark tone, which, by the way, The Dark Knight doesn't really need for justifying the gloomy atmosphere that transpires throughout its 142 minutes-running. Batman movies and comics have always been designed to be that way, and torture scenes are more or less another pretext to illustrate the main character's tortured (no pun intended) pysche.

Note also that the film only got a PG-13 certificate, confirming the MPAA's trend of being more lenient about that topic. Providing Batman doesn't show his buttocks on screen...

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Dark Knight: Batman is like George Bush Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI