Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Intermissions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Intermissions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Intermissions - 29/7/2008 8:30:31 AM   
Wessing

Dark Knight goes for 150 mins, that two and half hours.  Maybe you dont watch enough movies to know that's quite long for a movie

Thank your mother for pointing that out

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 31
RE: Intermissions - 29/7/2008 12:24:22 PM   
Caster

quote:

Dark Knight goes for 150 mins, that two and half hours. 

And?  Most of us can easily watch that without a break.

quote:

Maybe you dont watch enough movies  

Says someone with 69 posts to his name.  Hmm.

< Message edited by Caster -- 29/7/2008 12:26:25 PM >

(in reply to Wessing)
Post #: 32
RE: Intermissions - 29/7/2008 12:26:38 PM   
Stewie_Griffin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

quote:

If you can't handle 150 minutes without a break, Just don't watch it.

Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is "Expiation"

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 33
RE: Intermissions - 29/7/2008 3:06:28 PM   
Guchmeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster

quote:

quote:

Maybe you dont watch enough movies  

Says someone with 69 posts to his name.  Hmm.

Maybe he doesn't post much because he's so busy watching movies??

(sorry, just a thought...)

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 34
RE: Intermissions - 29/7/2008 5:41:56 PM   
Jonti

Last Intermission I saw was for one of the Harry Potter movies a few years ago at my local indepentant.

I'm not a fan of them, I'm one of the 'massive tubs of popcorn (nachos actually) and a monster drink' but luckily I can hold my bladder for a few hours :D

Jonti

Last 5 Watched:
Quantum Of Solace - 9/10
Igor - 6/10
How To Lose Friends And Alienate People - 8/10
Step Brothers - 1/10 (Walked out halfway through)
The Dark Night - 9/10

(in reply to Guchmeister)
Post #: 35
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 12:09:21 AM   
Hood_Man

Is it just me or are the big tentpole films getting longer these days? Cinema seats are pretty uncomfortable at the best of times these days, and I have to admit there were times during Les Miserables, Django Unchained & The Hobbit (especially The Hobbit...), where I would have welcomed a short break without having to miss part of the film.

While I'm not advocating unscheduled intermissions like some of the horror stories mentioned here, I have to admit that when I saw Lawrence of Arabia in the cinema last November, the Intermission served as a lovely reminder of traditions past.

Will we ever see the like of the Operatic epic, complete with Overtures and Intermissions once again?

(in reply to Jonti)
Post #: 36
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 12:16:51 AM   
MonsterCat

Last intermission I can remember was during a showing of Bad Company, the Joel Schulmacher flick with Chris Rock and SIR ANTHONY HOPKINS! It was in a cinema in Malta and the intermission was clumsily placed.

Didn't make the film any less shit, though.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 23/1/2013 12:18:30 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 37
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 11:37:34 AM   
Bloke from Oz

The only film I ever saw at the cinema which featured an intermission was Branagh's Hamlet. I didn't really need it; I was in my seat the whole 4 hours, and had no need for a break.

Watched It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Great Escape, Gettysburg, Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia on DVD, which all had intermissions, though in the case of the first two, I don't understand how they should have when longer films like King Kong don't.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 38
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 11:44:40 AM   
Dannybohy

Bring back intermissions to all movies!!!!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 39
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 12:05:31 PM   
giggity

This may have just been because I heard christopher nolan was influenced by david lean on dark knight rises but I always thought there was a part in the film which was a way at hinting the film had an intermission without actually having one.

SPOILERS

After the scene where Bane breaks Batmans back, the screen fades to black and we pick up with John Blake standing outside Wayne Manor and trying to look for Bruce. As far as I can remember there isn't any type of edits with a fade to black anywhere in the rest of the film, plus it seems as if a period of time has passed between the two scenes and it also feels like its the beginning of a new part of the film. first half was wayne becoming batman again, being too cocky an eventually being beaten by bane who has been lurking in the shadows until this point. And the second part is banes plan and reveal to gotham coming into play and bruce training to get better and return to gotham to save it and defeat bane. With the Lean influence I think this part was a small nod to an intermission without having it because i doubt any studio would let something so obscure (nowdays) as an intermission happen in their biggest film of the year.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 40
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 12:26:05 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: giggity

This may have just been because I heard christopher nolan was influenced by david lean on dark knight rises but I always thought there was a part in the film which was a way at hinting the film had an intermission without actually having one.

Yep, as soon as you said Nolan I knew where you were going with that. I actually said at the time that it was apt for either an interval or a break up of the film in to two parts.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 41
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 12:26:33 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Can't you just pause them? ;)

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 42
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 12:35:35 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bloke from Oz

The only film I ever saw at the cinema which featured an intermission was Branagh's Hamlet. I didn't really need it; I was in my seat the whole 4 hours, and had no need for a break.

Watched It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, The Great Escape, Gettysburg, Ben-Hur and Lawrence of Arabia on DVD, which all had intermissions, though in the case of the first two, I don't understand how they should have when longer films like King Kong don't.

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World was presented in 70mm, and was screened in a road-show capacity, which would have automatically seen it gain an intermission, as well as the other trappings that came with that (overture etc). The interval is the only element that made it on to the DVD tho.

While The Great Escape wasn't shot in 70mm, it was an early poster-child for CinemaScope, a format which aimed to mimic the superior-but-more-expensive-and-unwieldy Cinerama, a mimicry which extended to replicating the viewing conditions of the Cinerama/70mm road-show presentation stylings of the superior formats, which is why that film too carries a declared intermission, overture etc.

King Kong (I'm presuming youre talking about the 2005 version) doesn't carry an interval simply because it's not something that is really done these days. Had it been released in 1963 I'm sure it would have done.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 43
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 12:52:21 PM   
AxlReznor

I think the intermission works really well in the Director's Cut of Kingdom Of Heaven. Have never had one, no matter how long the movie at the cinema, though. I'm actually kind of glad about that. If you think a film's going to be too long, then I don't think you should go to see it.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 44
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 1:17:58 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I think the intermission works really well in the Director's Cut of Kingdom Of Heaven. Have never had one, no matter how long the movie at the cinema, though. I'm actually kind of glad about that. If you think a film's going to be too long, then I don't think you should go to see it.

I don't think they're necessary for most films these days. If a film is under three hours then I don't really see the point. In the old days when it was done for showmanship/atmosphere it made sense, but it's not like that anymore.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 45
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 7:28:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

As much as I like intermissions for movies (we have that here, every film released in a multiplex has one) especially for those above 100 minutes, it's really silly to get it for something like Cloverfield. I know, because I saw it here and it had an intermission. And it was ridiculous.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 23/1/2013 7:38:27 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 46
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 9:17:39 PM   
Hood_Man

To be clear, I'm not advocating intermissions in 90 minute films where the theatre is simply putting the film on pause, I mean long movies where the intermission is part of the experience.

It's nothing to do with my attention span, it's purely to protect my arse from permanently falling asleep.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 47
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 10:28:21 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

It's nothing to do with my attention span, it's purely to protect my arse from permanently falling asleep.

A good trick is to sit on your hands. I don't know how, but it works.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 48
RE: Intermissions - 23/1/2013 11:22:38 PM   
Hood_Man

I'll give that a shot on Friday. I've got Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty and Movie 43 to get through that day, and possibly The Last Stand as well if I don't get round to watching it tomorrow.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 49
RE: Intermissions - 24/1/2013 7:45:03 AM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

But how do you eat your popcorn?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 50
RE: Intermissions - 24/1/2013 8:46:43 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

quote:

Chicken peck.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 51
RE: Intermissions - 24/1/2013 2:11:06 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

quote:

I don't. Eating is for girly men. I am not a girly men.

Are you a girly men?

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 52
RE: Intermissions - 24/1/2013 3:07:27 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

The only intermission I can possibly imagine for a film would probably be David Leans Lawrence of Arabia.

But generally I wouldn't be interested in intermissions.With so much information out nowadays there shouldn't really be any excuse not to know what you are heading in for ie concerning time.I also think if you are so enthralled in what is happening on screen then time really does become an after thought.

< Message edited by OPEN YOUR EYES -- 24/1/2013 3:18:39 PM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 53
RE: Intermissions - 24/1/2013 6:30:16 PM   
rich

They can bring it back as long as the film's they make are like the Ten Commandments. Which they will never be.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 54
RE: Intermissions - 10/2/2013 8:10:47 PM   
sandy666

Yes, for films that exceed 2 hours I would like to see Intermissions. A chance to go to the loo would be nice. Django and th eHobbit were getting painful to sit through. We get them at the theatre and opera screenings and it is nice to be able to stretch your legs. It also makes going to the cinema more of a social event as you can talk to your partner at half time. In addition if it stops those blighters using their blessed phones whilst the film is on, it would be an improvement.

(in reply to morg1138)
Post #: 55
RE: Intermissions - 21/2/2013 8:57:38 PM   
OldGrey

Good Lord, why can't film goers be a bit professional, - these are movies we are talking about here !
Don't drink loads, train your bladder and exercise your buttocks.
Intermissions are for part - time, wimpy, wuss bag, wipers of other people's bottoms

(in reply to sandy666)
Post #: 56
RE: Intermissions - 22/2/2013 1:40:06 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: OldGrey
Intermissions are for part - time, wimpy, wuss bag, wipers of other people's bottoms

That's quite racist agiasnt the Maltese, Italians and the Indians.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to OldGrey)
Post #: 57
RE: Intermissions - 22/2/2013 2:13:08 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

Wouldn't that just make your hands fall asleep?

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 58
RE: Intermissions - 22/2/2013 2:16:15 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

quote:

Wouldn't that just make your hands fall asleep?

Eventually, yes, but by that point your behind should be satisfyingly un-numbed.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 59
RE: Intermissions - 23/2/2013 8:39:42 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

Is it just me or are the big tentpole films getting longer these days? Cinema seats are pretty uncomfortable at the best of times these days, and I have to admit there were times during Les Miserables, Django Unchained & The Hobbit (especially The Hobbit...), where I would have welcomed a short break without having to miss part of the film.

Les Miserables was, in my opinion, in need of an intermission. Obviously the musical has an interval, and the fact it was missing was really noticeable to the structure of the film and the music. An intermission after One Day More, as it is on stage, would have been absolutely fine.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Intermissions Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI