Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

A year since Deathly Hallows...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> A year since Deathly Hallows... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A year since Deathly Hallows... - 18/7/2008 5:13:07 PM   
Little_Roo

Ok not sure if Harry Potter has a fan base here but it has been a year since we got our hands on Dealthly Hallows and finally got our ending to the series. After a year how does everyone think it stands up? I know a lot of people were disappointed at the time but after such a build up and wait that was enivitable. Whats is your thoughts?

For me i found it ticked all the boxes i would have liked to have seen,

Hagrid die...i think this was Jo's intention but he was the character whom she saved from death in the original outline.
Gutted that the one of the twins had to die, worst moment of the book and actually broke my heart a little but then war aint fair so..

I was glad the task was so difficult for Harry as it showed he was in fact just a normal boy no different to anyone else, he just had more reason to want Voldemort gone having lost so many people.

All in all a good ending to the series although i couldve done with the grown up Harry part...a wee bit too cheesy

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them."

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

"let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure..........."
Post #: 1
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 18/7/2008 5:34:33 PM   
Hardcore Raver

I loved the book at the time, and still love it now! It's probably my favourite book out of the series. I don't think that there's too much that I would change, apart from the rather weak epilogue, but that's easy to leave out whenever I reread it!
Some of my favourite moments throughout the book were: (spoilers)
- Bill & Fleur's wedding being attacked, and the trio fleeing to Tottenham Court Road
- Mrs Weasley killing Bellatrix
- Neville killing Nagini
- The entire Hogwarts battle
- "Here lies Dobby, a free elf"
- The entire chapter when Harry is walking towards what he believes will be his certain death
- Breaking into Gringotts

In fact, I could list moments like this all day, so lets just say I loved everything, even the camping out in the countryside which seemed to annoy lots of people!

Love Football. Hate FIFA.

(in reply to Little_Roo)
Post #: 2
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 18/7/2008 6:25:04 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hardcore Raver

I loved the book at the time, and still love it now! It's probably my favourite book out of the series. I don't think that there's too much that I would change, apart from the rather weak epilogue, but that's easy to leave out whenever I reread it!
- Bill & Fleur's wedding being attacked, and the trio fleeing to Tottenham Court Road
- Neville killing Nagini
- The entire chapter when Harry is walking towards what he believes will be his certain death

In fact, I could list moments like this all day, so lets just say I loved everything, even the camping out in the countryside which seemed to annoy lots of people!

That just sent a shiver down my spine reading that - still gets me...

Ive not missed the series much - ive had Narnia and His dark Materials, amoungst other books to occupy my mind.

It's stilla good series though.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Hardcore Raver)
Post #: 3
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 18/7/2008 6:44:43 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I do miss the books but more in the sense that I miss the anticipation. For example, I love the waiting and the discussions it brings with fellow fans. It's the first book series I read that I followed until the end and the books had a large impact on me.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 4
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 18/7/2008 8:10:31 PM   
G.O.B

I do miss the books and that feeling of anticipation at the release of another potter book but like Amelie it was a series of books i followed from the start so i would always be sad when it finally finished.There were plenty of great moments in The Deathly Hallows and it's weird to think it's a year since it ended.

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 5
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 18/7/2008 11:03:11 PM   
clare_star_

I've missed the pre-book discussions, theories and speculation - as the series went on the month pre-release were at times almost as exciting as getting your hands on the actual book!

I think my absolute favourite part of Deathly Hallows was by far Neville walking through the picture and then leading them back through the passage to a readily prepped army. There was something so triumphant about that.

''Twitter''

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 6
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 19/7/2008 7:01:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'm still bummed about the almost throwaway deaths of some characters. "Oh, dead then is he/she/? Boohoo, never mind". Not quite like that, but it's the impression I got.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 7
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 19/7/2008 1:40:04 PM   
Little_Roo

Gimli i agree with you, especially the deaths of Lupin and Tonks..but there wasn't really time to mourn in this book unlike the others i suppose

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them."

"It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live."

"let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure..........."

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 8
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 19/7/2008 4:10:38 PM   
mafyou

I was thinking about Lupin and Tonks's death earlier and how it annoyed me. I still enjoyed the final book but i'm glad the series is over...there are other books to read and I've enjoyed reading them. 

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Little_Roo)
Post #: 9
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 21/7/2008 12:23:18 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

quote:

- Neville killing Nagini

That just sent a shiver down my spine reading that - still gets me...

Ive not missed the series much - ive had Narnia and His dark Materials, amoungst other books to occupy my mind.

It's stilla good series though.

That bit made me cry, I had to put the book down and get a drink.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

Post #: 10
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 21/7/2008 8:54:07 PM   
elven

Let down...

Throw away deaths of characters we like...
Easyily defeated villain...
Villains were not threatening...
Then theres Voldemort.... useless, not threatening, and not at all as powerful as were led to believe... hes just a utter waste... and Ive gotten fed up off Harry escaping death by cheap ass methods... just a let down tbh,

(in reply to Little_Roo)
Post #: 11
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 21/7/2008 9:32:15 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

- Neville killing Nagini

That bit ruled! Neville should have been Headmaster in the epilogue, not just a Professor.

As for the rest of the book, whilst it mostly worked for me at the time, I've not felt the urge to reread it again - which says it all really. All I can really remember is many, many chapters of "Harry and friends enter stage left. Minor character from one of the previous books enters, dies. Harry and friends exit stage right.". Harry's deduction that the Hallows are real must be one of the most astonishing leaps of logic in literary history.

Post #: 12
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 21/7/2008 10:12:01 PM   
clare_star_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

As for the rest of the book, whilst it mostly worked for me at the time, I've not felt the urge to reread it again - which says it all really. All I can really remember is many, many chapters of "Harry and friends enter stage left. Minor character from one of the previous books enters, dies. Harry and friends exit stage right.". Harry's deduction that the Hallows are real must be one of the most astonishing leaps of logic in literary history.

It's funny, I've only just realised that since I read it through that first terrifyingly-brilliant time I've never actually felt the need to pick it up a second time. I mean I've looked at it on the shelf and thought, oh I should have a reread but something has been stopping me.

It is really odd because I've reread the others so many times I could probably recite whole chapters. I enjoyed that first read through so much part of me wonders if a second read will kind of destroy it!

''Twitter''

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 13
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 22/7/2008 8:45:25 AM   
Kazuya

Overall I'm pretty happy with how the series ended. I do miss reading the books, but as someone here said, that's mostly because of the anticipation associated with a new entry in the series. As it is, I think Rowling tied up the proceedings effectively, some of the deaths were a bit too leisurely handled and the epilogue was a bit underwhelming, but the series is a fine achievement for Rowling, I would imagine her returning to the world she's created at some point in her career as well.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Little_Roo)
Post #: 14
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 22/7/2008 9:48:47 AM   
Alistair81

I really enjoyed it. (SPOILERS) To begin with I was irritated by the deaths of lupin and tonks but I now really like the fact that they didn't have a huge heroic death.  In war people get killed and as they die away from Harry its not covered.  I now think its a brave way of dealing with it - I can't think of any other instances of fairly major characters being disposed of in such a way.  I was suprised about some of the characters eventual fates but I wouldn't say i disapporve of them.  The only negatives as far as I'm concerned: The epilogue was a bit shit and the Malfoys never really get their comeuppance - I wanted some vengance after they have been central to Harry's story as agressors

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 15
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 22/7/2008 9:55:26 AM   
Kazuya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alistair81

I really enjoyed it. (SPOILERS) To begin with I was irritated by the deaths of lupin and tonks but I now really like the fact that they didn't have a huge heroic death.  In war people get killed and as they die away from Harry its not covered.  I now think its a brave way of dealing with it - I can't think of any other instances of fairly major characters being disposed of in such a way.  I was suprised about some of the characters eventual fates but I wouldn't say i disapporve of them.  The only negatives as far as I'm concerned: The epilogue was a bit shit and the Malfoys never really get their comeuppance - I wanted some vengance after they have been central to Harry's story as agressors

Yeah, me too, considering the nature and behaviour of all of the Malfoys, they should have paid a much higher price for such treason (Narcissa did do a good deed, but for her own selfish purposes) They should have been sent to Azkaban.

"Bleed, bastard."

(in reply to Alistair81)
Post #: 16
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 22/7/2008 10:19:27 AM   
Alistair81

No they should have had a worse fate!

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to Kazuya)
Post #: 17
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 22/7/2008 11:05:31 AM   
mejaars

It was a lovely series to read, very easy on the eyes (?). I don't miss them at all, too much else to enjoy. But yes a lot of it annoyed me in the last book. Actually all the things listed above by you, but only to emphasise: I realllllly thought that grown up part was utter shite. It nearly ruined the book for me. (Oh and Ron was such a whuzz, never liked him btw)

- Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong -

(in reply to Alistair81)
Post #: 18
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 23/7/2008 9:25:47 PM   
sarahlouise

I think the books will hold up to repeated readings, I've read it twice so far and looking forward to reading it again, I was pretty happy with how the story unfolds, some very exciting parts, the chase at the beginning; the interrupted wedding; breaking into the Ministry; Gringotts, the final battle, but the most satisfying for me was that Snape turned out to be good, that part where Harry goes into the Pensieve for the last time and sees everything from Snape's point of view brought a tear to my eye; i do agree the epilogue was naff, should have been left to the imagination what happens next. I just hope they do it justice with the two films.

(in reply to mejaars)
Post #: 19
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 23/7/2008 9:34:09 PM   
kingalan

I was very satisfied with the the ending and thought generally the series was consistently enjoyable. My biggest gripe has come since Deathly Hallows's release; namely Rowling and her constant 'can't-let-go' attitude. The fans don't really need to hear her black and white explanations for characters' whereabouts or sexual orientations. It was much more interesting coming to our own assumptions, not to mention much more stimulating for children to use their imaginations about the things left unsaid in the books.

(in reply to sarahlouise)
Post #: 20
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 24/7/2008 9:51:24 PM   
Funkyrae

Actually I found it a rather cathartic book.  I was absolutely involved in it.  A few passages that were unnecessarily complicated for me.  There were a few where I had to re-read the passage just to get it.  But it did make me cry in several places.  Hedwig being one of them.  She was just gone.  The problem with this one was that there were so many deaths it was hard to mourn them all.  Dobbie was one hell of a wrench!

I have to say I liked the epilogue.  It allowed her to sum things up nicely, give everyone the answers to the immediate question of "what are they doing when they're grown up?" as well as giving her the potential to revisit it sometime in the future.

She's said never say never and personally, I reckon she'll go back to it at some point.  You don't create a whole world, complete people that live with you for over 17 years without thinking about what's going on now.  Sooner or later she'll think "What would Harry be doing now?".  Tolkein could never leave his world.

That's me that is!

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 21
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 24/7/2008 11:47:39 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: kingalan

I was very satisfied with the the ending and thought generally the series was consistently enjoyable. My biggest gripe has come since Deathly Hallows's release; namely Rowling and her constant 'can't-let-go' attitude. The fans don't really need to hear her black and white explanations for characters' whereabouts or sexual orientations. It was much more interesting coming to our own assumptions, not to mention much more stimulating for children to use their imaginations about the things left unsaid in the books.

the woman spent over 17 years of her life in that world, course shes gona know the ins and outs of a lot of things that she hasnt put in the books - she just wants to vent out her knowledge to fans - which she wisely did.

I think she felt that leaving things to the imagination would mean that people would start to think she will make another book - i personally think she wont (apart from an encyclopedia) - and hence explains the epilogue, which basically says "NO VOLDY DOESNT COME BACK FROM THE DEAD, AGAIN!".

If i'm honest, as much as I enjoyed the books, I reckon they would have been better if they were less popular. I mean, I hated the speculation, the theories, because if some of them were right, then as i'd be reading, i'd be thinking - yer i'm not suprised. Rowling done well by actually having suprises up her sleeve in not only her last book, but all the rest (esp 4). I'd especially hate the first 2 days after each book's release - in particular 6 and 7 - I wouldn't go near anything that had communication with the outside world - the internet, the tv, my family! - just incase they told me any spoilers for the books. It's was the worst part - it was like, I had to hurry up and finish the book, know the story, then I could communicate with the outside world - I couldn't appreciate the books for what they were - brilliant storytelling. And reading each book a second time round without that stress limited my enjoyment because I wouldnt be suprised or shocked by what happened because I would already know what was going to happen.

I remember having a conversation with my mate about the 6th book, and she said she cried her eyes out when Dumbledore died. I was merely abit upset - shocked, and abit upset. Then i re read the 6th book and fully appreciated the delicacy in Rowlings writing after Dumby's death. There was one part - something along the lines of....

McGonagall looked around and finally said "We should send the children home, and have the funeral here after."
"But," whimpered Harry, "the kids will want to say -" but he found he couldnt finish his sentence so (i forgot the head of Hufflepuff house) said "- Goodbye."

That part (and i havent written it word for word, but it was something along them lines) - when i read it the first time just went over my head, but when i read that part the second time, i had a lump in my throat, i wanted to cry, by i just didnt.

So, yes, i do miss the books, but nothing surrounding it. - maybe apart from reading reviews.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 22
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 26/7/2008 2:02:27 AM   
kingalan

quote:

quote:

the woman spent over 17 years of her life in that world, course shes gona know the ins and outs of a lot of things that she hasnt put in the books - she just wants to vent out her knowledge to fans - which she wisely did.

I disagree. If you're not going to weave it into the fabric of the novel , then don't mention it. The 100% guaranteed events were in right there in those pages. Just randomly coming up with more tidbits in post-Hallows inerviews just seems silly to me. It's like PT Anderson saying "Yeah and I reckon Plainview went to jail for a few years yeah... got into a few fights and that...er... got out when he was 65 and died having a wank. Oh yeah, and his son was gay you know...? That girl was just for show"

If you mean it, commit to it by associating it into the art. Otherwise keep schtum.

Post #: 23
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 26/7/2008 2:24:51 AM   
Rhubarb

I kinda like the admission that Dumbledore was gay, just because people draw those conclusions with fictional characters (Biggles, Sherlock Holmes, Batman) anyway, so its nice to know it was intended.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 24
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 26/7/2008 9:06:16 AM   
Hardcore Raver

quote:

I disagree. If you're not going to weave it into the fabric of the novel , then don't mention it. The 100% guaranteed events were in right there in those pages. Just randomly coming up with more tidbits in post-Hallows inerviews just seems silly to me. It's like PT Anderson saying "Yeah and I reckon Plainview went to jail for a few years yeah... got into a few fights and that...er... got out when he was 65 and died having a wank. Oh yeah, and his son was gay you know...? That girl was just for show"

If you mean it, commit to it by associating it into the art. Otherwise keep schtum.

To be fair, it's not like she just went around telling everybody who would listen that Dumbledore was gay. She was asked a question and she answered it. Sure, she could have refused to answer it, but why should she do that? A large proportion of the Harry Potter fanbase would love to hear more information about their favourite characters so where's the harm in giving them little tidbits like this? Especially when you consider that there's loads of backstory to different characters that never made the books.

(in reply to kingalan)
Post #: 25
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 26/7/2008 10:24:50 AM   
clare_star_

quote:

McGonagall looked around and finally said "We should send the children home, and have the funeral here after."
"But," whimpered Harry, "the kids will want to say -" but he found he couldnt finish his sentence so (i forgot the head of Hufflepuff house) said "- Goodbye."

That part (and i havent written it word for word, but it was something along them lines) - when i read it the first time just went over my head, but when i read that part the second time, i had a lump in my throat, i wanted to cry, by i just didnt.

So, yes, i do miss the books, but nothing surrounding it. - maybe apart from reading reviews.

I remember having to put HBP down so many times during the first read through but that part above was particularly difficult.

Reading through the discussions above, I've really started thinking about DH and a key aspect I wanted to mention was some of the quite frightening imagery from when the kids break into the Ministry of Magic. The statue of the witch and wizard, the muggle-born registration - now I don't know what effect that would have on younger readers but as a 23 year old it completely terrified me. I know its a cliche to keep saying how much darker the novels become but this one is midnight black!

''Twitter''

Post #: 26
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 29/7/2008 8:46:52 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

I think she felt that leaving things to the imagination would mean that people would start to think she will make another book - i personally think she wont (apart from an encyclopedia)

Or not....

Though I have to agree with Kingalan; the 'story elements' that she's mentioned in post-Hallows interviews seem to be afterthoughts more than anything else.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 27
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 2/8/2008 11:43:28 AM   
Phil884

I must be one of the very few who really enjoyed the epilogue. I know it seemed contrived and too easy after all that went before but I think that was the point. I just liked the idea that after each increasingly depressing day of the characters' lives since Goblet of Fire, ultimately everyone turned out happy and the times seemed more innocent again. Plus, I loved the bit when he tells his son that he was named after two of the bravest men he ever met. After all the hate for Snape over the years, it seemed right that he recognised his sacrifice and rose above it.

Personally I thought the midsection of the book was largely filler splitting the film adaptation into two parts is the most blatantly exploitative venture they have taken with the series to date; it is one of the more appropriate Potter books that can easily be accommodated in a single film day after day of them on a magical camping trip, moping about, with no direction of any sorts.  I did love the bit when Harry thinks he's going to his death though and the utter disrespect he shows Voldemort at the end. Then again after you learn that neither will die whilst the other survives, it does take away any kind of peril you feel for the character. Ah well, enjoyed it overall and would love it if there were more.

< Message edited by Phil884 -- 2/8/2008 11:44:25 AM >

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 28
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 3/8/2008 10:32:43 AM   
Hardcore Raver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil884

Personally I thought the midsection of the book was largely filler splitting the film adaptation into two parts is the most blatantly exploitative venture they have taken with the series to date; it is one of the more appropriate Potter books that can easily be accommodated in a single film day after day of them on a magical camping trip, moping about, with no direction of any sorts.  

I see this criticism of the book quite often, but I don't really think that it's fair. The whole time that they are camping (from when they first have to leave Grimmauld Place to when they are captured and taken to the Malfoys house) covers 140 pages in the book. However, during this time, Harry and Ron have their big arguement and Ron leaves, Harry and Hermione travel to Godric's Hollow, see Harry's parent's graves, and end up just escaping from Voldemort, Harry finds out about Dumbledore's past friendship with Gridelwald, Harry is led to Gryffindor's Sword, Ron returns and destroys the locket horcrux, they go to Luna's house, find out about the Deathly Hallows, and narrowly escape the Death Eathers, so it's not exactly as though nothing happens during this time. As for the film, I don't really see how they can cut any of that, and they will need to feature some of the camping scenes too, or it will run the risk of just being set piece after set piece, like the first two movies.

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 29
RE: A year since Deathly Hallows... - 6/8/2008 3:37:18 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I found from the start of Order of The Phoenix, all the way through Half Blood Prince and till the final 200 pages of Deathly Hallows ranging from mediocre to terrible.

But once I hit those final pages I felt the story blast into life again and it returned to peak HP, which means it ended entirely satisfactorily for me.

Just to echo others :

Dobby free elf - arguably the most moving moment of the entire series topping even the deaths of the other main characters. I think this was because all he knew was servitude and hardship, he ended up giving his life for his friends and never got to enjoy his freedom. At least the others got to live a life. Bloody sad

I think the way they moved over other deaths quickly was an indication of the situation they were in, i.e. it was a war and you don't have time to sit and reflect until the war is over.

I really miss the HP books now to be honest and I doubt if we'll see anything to match them in our lifetimes. It was one of those phenomenoms but hell in book reading terms we were all in the right place at the right time!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> A year since Deathly Hallows... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI