Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The First Law Trilogy

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The First Law Trilogy Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The First Law Trilogy - 17/7/2008 2:38:32 PM   
KennyM

Just finished reading The Last Argument of Kings and it was a fitting finish to one of the best fantasy trilogies i've read in ages. First book to last was brilliant and got better each time. Great characters, Sand dan Glokta being one of the best (sympathetic) villains created on page imo, and a plot that whizzes along. No-one is good or bad and nothing is quite what it seems. Highly recommended for fans of the genre.

Filled the gap till the next Locke Lamora book nicely
Post #: 1
RE: The First Law Trilogy - 17/7/2008 3:19:55 PM   
sharkboy

I absolutely adored the first two books in the series, and I'm about half way through this one, and it's shaping up nicely. Great characters, good plots and (rarely for this genre) writing thats aimed very much at an adult audience rather than spotty adolescents.

Strange you should mention Locke Lamora; I got into Abercrombie's books when they came up on Amazon as a recommendation after I'd bought the first Lamora novel  

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 2
RE: The First Law Trilogy - 17/7/2008 3:52:07 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Loved all three books!!!  Finished Last Argument of Kings about 2 weeks ago and really didn't want to get to the end.

What I loved about this trilogy is that it just felt so real despite being really quite nasty in places.  It actually made my stomach turn in a couple of instances with regards to cannibalism.  The characters were fleshed out extremely well and not all sweetness and light.   

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 3
RE: The First Law Trilogy - 17/7/2008 4:00:22 PM   
KennyM

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I got into Abercrombie's books when they came up on Amazon as a recommendation after I'd bought the first Lamora novel  

Snap!
I've got the Mad Baron's Mechanical Attic and The Choir of Knives pre-ordered incidentally.

As for the characters in First Law, I loved the fact they were all pretty much bastards. Even the one's you liked! Dogman and Black Dow were great and I really liked Crummock, the chief of the Hillmen, in the last book. The battle scenes certainly had shades of a bloodier Helms Deep and Minas Tirith too.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: The First Law Trilogy - 17/7/2008 4:54:27 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I have the Locke Lamara books to look forward to

My imagination worked overtime with how these characters would look.   Each of them had either a deformity or were just plain but that gave them depth.

*** SLIGHT SPOILER ***

I desperately wanted Logen Ninefingers and Ferro to get together as they seemed so well suited but was happy at how it turned out.

Superior Glokta rocks  Had great fun imagining what his workers looked like (under their masks).

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The First Law Trilogy Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI