Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Generation Kill

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Generation Kill Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Generation Kill - 17/7/2008 8:43:54 AM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

From the team that produced 'The Wire'. This is a 7 hour mini series based on a true story of an elite platoon of US marines during the first 40 days of the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

The trailer is at ShortList.com and probably you tube. Cant comment on it at present because they hvae banned online streaming at my work place

< Message edited by Dragar 11(New Birth) -- 17/7/2008 8:45:26 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Generation Kill - 17/7/2008 9:04:06 AM   
Vertigo...Woo.Yay.

The HBO site has tons of stuff on it. All streaming, so obviously that doesn't help you out at the moment...

It is, as I've posted in the new pilots thread, a fantastic series.

"Things are going to get pretty interesting..."
"Define 'interesting'"
"Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die?"

If only we could harness Otis Ferry for good...
All hail Hypnotoad

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 2
RE: Generation Kill - 19/7/2008 10:02:48 AM   
Old Peculiar

Seen the first ep of this.  Bloody fantastic....but would you expect anything less from Simon and co.  Great to see Ziggy from season 2 of the Wire in it too!  

Post #: 3
RE: Generation Kill - 19/7/2008 9:05:39 PM   
Captain Black

Yep. Mighty. While I did find it somewhat disorienting due to the number of characters (and the fact that they tend to look so similar), its style will be instantly familiar to watchers of The Wire. It does feel like a sequel of sorts, and touches on a few of the same themes (particularly 'more with less', and individuals crushed by systems). And the last scene was the kind of brutal, underplayed drama I honestly don't think anyone but Simon & Co even dare to do on television.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Old Peculiar)
Post #: 4
RE: Generation Kill - 22/7/2008 1:36:42 AM   
mfj fratelli

A wow, a wow, a muthafuckin' wow! I've only seen two episodes, but that's more than enough to put it in my top ten. Astonishing! Tonal similarities can be found in Simon &Burns's previous collaboration, but that's far from a bad thing. While The Wire expands your mind when it comes to urban America, Generation Kill paints an intelligent picture of current American warfare. Quality abounds in every facet of production.

'Captain America' and 'Encino Man' break all records of retardation. Did anyone else want to smack them over the head with a mallet a couple hundred times?

So many scenes to comment on, but I love James Ransone's character's ruminations, especially that scene with those cheesy, Gung Ho war slogans that project patriotism.That smacked of Simon's mentality, but I loved it all the same.

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

The Wire has never won an emmy? [It] deserves the Nobel Prize for Literature!

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 5
RE: Generation Kill - 22/7/2008 1:44:39 AM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Yep. Mighty. While I did find it somewhat disorienting due to the number of characters

You shittin' me? A rabid fan of The Wire makes a comment like that?

The Wire is surely the best TV show ever broadcast in America. This claim isn't based on my having seen all the possible rivals for the title, but on the premise that no other program has ever done anything remotely like what this one does, namely to portray the social, political, and economic life of an American city with the scope, observational precision, and moral vision of great literature.

Post #: 6
RE: Generation Kill - 26/7/2008 9:27:11 AM   
Captain Black

To be fair - I went through the same thing with the first episode of The Wire.

I'm completely in line following the second episode though. What I have noticed is that - like The Wire - it has that getting under the skin quality where I keep thinking about various scenes a long time after I've watched it.

And I do really like how they're subverting all of the usual war movie clichés - y'know, there's a line of dialogue to emphasise the calm before the storm then there's a big explosion and all hell breaks loose. Here it gets to that moment and....nothing.

This was my favourite line (paraphrasing slightly) for the second episode:

'There outta been some kind of grammar test before you're out here blowing shit up with heavy weapons.'

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 26/7/2008 9:28:26 AM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to mfj fratelli)
Post #: 7
RE: Generation Kill - 26/7/2008 6:45:33 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

To be fair - I went through the same thing with the first episode of The Wire.

I'm completely in line following the second episode though. What I have noticed is that - like The Wire - it has that getting under the skin quality where I keep thinking about various scenes a long time after I've watched it.

And I do really like how they're subverting all of the usual war movie clichés - y'know, there's a line of dialogue to emphasise the calm before the storm then there's a big explosion and all hell breaks loose. Here it gets to that moment and....nothing.

This was my favourite line (paraphrasing slightly) for the second episode:

'There outta been some kind of grammar test before you're out here blowing shit up with heavy weapons.'

I like the distinct personalites of the characters and their unabashed motivations for being in the Marines. So many war films have characters with zero personality and cut from the same piece of wood. They're usually boring figures who go through a set of war-film truisms.

I might not agree with everything these guys are saying, but they are sure worth listening to.

The show does seem to embody the creed of 'institutions over individuals'; David Simon's impetus for storytelling.

That line you quote is really good. I like Brad Colbert's follow-up line even more. It's a great jab at the sentiments of those fanatical  anti-immigrationists who generally speak English  less correctly than those they rally against. Ray Person can only smile at the 'Iceman''s response because it's funny and true. However, the scene when Colbert tells Baptista that only English should be used over company coms. is completely logical and asserts that  learning and using English is necessary and not just some bigoted notion. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

And even though a lot of it is CGI, it still has some of the best firefight sequences I've ever seen.

Post #: 8
RE: Generation Kill - 12/8/2008 10:17:28 PM   
Captain Black

I've just finished episode five and, well, I can't remember the last time I watched an episode of TV and felt positively dehydrated as a result. I think it's a bit unfair to compare the combat sequences directly to war films due to constraints of budget and so on, but they're certainly effective and there's a level of detail present that goes beyond most films I've seen - lack of depth perception with the night vision being one example.

The characterisation across the aboard continues to drag me in all directions - we really do have the full spectrum of characters, some of whom I'm kinda staggered are able to hold down a position in the armed forces.....and then I start to realise just how damn naive I am about such things.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 9
RE: Generation Kill - 12/8/2008 11:44:22 PM   
mfj fratelli

It would be unfair to rate GK's combat scenes if I weren't suggesting that they essentially supercede the quality of most war movies. That quality can be linked to the sharp little intricacies you acknowledge in your post.

My earlier comment was directed at a select few who dared to fault the show's fight sequences because they contain CGI. This wasn't someone in Empire's forum, but I wondered if the same mentality could be lingering about.

Having the reputation of being an elite division enduring triple-harsh mental/physical training it's truly amazing how some of these jackasses were accepted into Reconnaissance Marines. I suppose you could chalk it up to military bureaucracy. Although, I do think that Captain America's drug prescription hasn't been refilled since he became a Captain. That's the only way of explaining how he achieved that rank.

Post #: 10
RE: Generation Kill - 13/8/2008 8:19:31 PM   
benmharper

Looking forward to this, just seen it advertised on Fx, don't know when it starts though (please say i haven't missed it)

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 11
RE: Generation Kill - 14/8/2008 9:30:49 AM   
Fit Kisto

I read a couple of weeks ago that it won't air on FX until Jan 2009.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 12
RE: Generation Kill - 26/8/2008 10:42:33 PM   
mfj fratelli

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Generation-Kill-DVDs-Planned/10410

That was quick!

Audiophile has a thread devoted to good albums with bad covers. If DVD Discussion ever gets a similar thread, I'll throw this one into the mix.

< Message edited by mfj fratelli -- 26/8/2008 10:44:07 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Generation Kill - 29/8/2008 11:10:34 AM   
Y2Neildotcom

Amazing show AND they sing Teenage Dirtbag in one scene. Good publicity for my main dudes Wheatus :)

| www.y2neil.com |

"You kill or you die. Or you die then you kill".

"Your B.F's about to get F'd in the B!"

Post #: 14
RE: Generation Kill - 3/9/2008 4:42:52 PM   
Gram123

I'm glad to see this getting positive responses.
As soon as I heard it existed I went looking and found mostly positive reviews on US sites, though some forums seem to be littered with people who served in Iraq, saying either "this is exactly what it was like" or "this is absolutely not what it was like".
So I didn't get the clearest impression from that. I've scanned this thread without reading too carefully, as I don't want to learn too much before I inevitably get the DVD.

I've just received and started watching the final series of The Wire on R1 - I'm both chuffed that I have a whole new season to watch, and saddened that it'll soon be over.
Looks like this will fit the bill for the next quality HBO series...

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Y2Neildotcom)
Post #: 15
RE: Generation Kill - 11/10/2008 9:49:22 PM   
Zaphod121

I know I'm late to the game but I had all the episodes on my laptop for a while now and I just got round to watching them, I AM IN FUCKING AWE! What a truly brilliant series. So much covered in those 7 episodes, I felt I got to know the characters (christ some of them were dumb shits) it was just... moving, funny and disturbing all the same time. Plus it have Beecher from Oz in it

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 16
RE: Generation Kill - 3/12/2008 5:09:43 PM   
Gram123

It begins airing on FX on 25th Jan, for those who weren't aware of the exact date.

I might avoid watching it on telly, so I can watch it at my own pace on DVD, and  may even pick up the R1 set before it starts airing on British tv...

Best pre-order prices from US sites at present =
DVD (3 discs) - Deep Discount $41.89 / Amazon $41.99
BD - Amazon $55.95 (though no info as to whether it's region locked yet).

Best pre-order prices from European sites (still the R1 release):
DVD - MovieTyme £28.99 (it's about £35 at DVDsLimited, and even more at AxelMusic)
BD - MovieTyme £42.99

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 17
RE: Generation Kill - 3/12/2008 5:18:08 PM   
Gram123

Erm... just realised MovieTyme are a US site, not European. They just list their stock in quids and export to the UK...

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 18
RE: Generation Kill - 26/1/2009 12:59:37 AM   
mafyou

Well I just caught this on FX and have to say it was a great first episode. I will be tuning in for the rest of the series, that's for sure. Some great characters and dialogue in there too.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 19
RE: Generation Kill - 28/1/2009 9:09:40 PM   
Captain Black

In a move that demonstrates all too rare good taste from them these days, Channel 4 have acquired the terrestrial rights for Generation Kill.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 20
RE: Generation Kill - 29/1/2009 6:05:44 PM   
Peter Dragon

Caught it last night and it was not was I was expecting. But in a good way.
The nearest thing I can compare it to at the moment is Band of Brothers meets Jarhead, excellent stuff.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

Post #: 21
RE: Generation Kill - 29/1/2009 7:16:44 PM   
Caster

It's Jarhead the TV series but I do like its no nonsense as-it-is approach.  Will be watching this again next week for sure.

(in reply to Peter Dragon)
Post #: 22
RE: Generation Kill - 5/2/2009 1:41:02 PM   
Peter Dragon

Whooooo, it got serious this week didn't it?

Some great scenes, "Captain America" wigging out was a stand out, looks like we'll see more of that next week.

I love the way they haven't painted the whole squad as gung ho dickheads, and conversely they haven't painted the whole squad as noble sensitive warriors. They come off as real genuine young men. Some love it, some hate it.
Must say that the hispanic soldiers appear to have a much better grasp on the situation than some of the other guys (Twombles? "I didn't get to shoot my gun", worries me).

Liked the reaction of the 2 snipers too after their kill, one looked disgusted with himself, the other guy (Rudi?) was all hi-5's and get some's.

Great show so far let's hope they can keep the quality up.

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 23
RE: Generation Kill - 5/2/2009 6:06:13 PM   
Caster

Agreed.  There's a good balance.  Some characters you just want to shake (the chatty driver) while others have a bit more heart.

Post #: 24
RE: Generation Kill - 5/2/2009 8:40:07 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Dragon

Whooooo, it got serious this week didn't it?

Some great scenes, "Captain America" wigging out was a stand out, looks like we'll see more of that next week.

I love the way they haven't painted the whole squad as gung ho dickheads, and conversely they haven't painted the whole squad as noble sensitive warriors. They come off as real genuine young men. Some love it, some hate it.
Must say that the hispanic soldiers appear to have a much better grasp on the situation than some of the other guys (Twombles? "I didn't get to shoot my gun", worries me).

Liked the reaction of the 2 snipers too after their kill, one looked disgusted with himself, the other guy (Rudi?) was all hi-5's and get some's.

Great show so far let's hope they can keep the quality up.

I get the general sense that none of them hate the idea of combat, but rather the stupidity of the missions they are charged with.

I think that most of the soldiers have a good read on the situation, but some are mentally unbalanced or incompetent (i.e. Trombley, Captain America, Encino Man)

After the sniper-kill you can notice Rudy feeling a little uneasy as well, even as he welcomes the admiration from the other soldiers.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caster
Agreed.  There's a good balance.  Some characters you just want to shake (the chatty driver) while others have a bit more heart.

If I were going to shake some of the characters my first choice would be Captain America, Encino Man, or Godfather. It definitely wouldn't be Person. His cynical observations provide much comic relief and direct the show's general purpose. I crave every sentence that comes out of his mouth. I might not agree with all of it, but some of  it's pretty sharp.

As the series progresses you'll notice most of the soldiers (psychopaths excluded) showing 'heart'

Post #: 25
RE: Generation Kill - 5/2/2009 8:52:03 PM   
Zaphod121

Who's the one who was always shouting and had a really gravely voice? My god I wanted to throttle him.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 26
RE: Generation Kill - 5/2/2009 9:09:59 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Who's the one who was always shouting and had a really gravely voice? My god I wanted to throttle him.

Godfather was the one with the gravelly voice (throat cancer). Captain America was the shouting one.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 27
RE: Generation Kill - 5/2/2009 9:22:47 PM   
theoriginalcynic

Gave up on it after twenty minutes...seen it all before in better made movies

Post #: 28
RE: Generation Kill - 5/2/2009 9:29:24 PM   
mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Apparently you missed the entire point of the series, which happens to be nothing like any movie (yes, even Jarhead), other than some bawdy ribbing and a desert setting. Glad to see that twenty minutes of a 7hr plus series is just enough to come to a thoughtful analysis.

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 29
RE: Generation Kill - 5/2/2009 10:37:04 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

And yet you continue to watch Smallville

quote:

ORIGINAL: mfj fratelli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Godfather was the one with the gravelly voice (throat cancer). Captain America was the shouting one.

Hmmm, maybe I got the 2 mixed up, well I wanted to kill 1 of them anyways.

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Generation Kill Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI